Weather in Alaska in July?

lidolovers

Hello, we are thinking of going on an Alaskan cruise on the Princess Diamond at the end of July. Has anyone been there at that time or know what the weather is like? Is it T-shirt weather or North Pole kind of stuff? What can I expect? and need to pack?

Thanks a lot

lidolovers

It could be hot or cold and rainy or anything inbetween.

While not the norm, my July cruise was very cold and wet. The ship sold out of all of their jackets on our sailing.

Prepare for warmer and cooler temps along with dry and wet conditions and you will be fine.

It can be t-shirt weather, but the probability is the temperatures will be in the low 60's. Because you will be visiting Glacier Bay, you have to dress warmly to stay outside. In Glacier Bay, the temperatures with windchill can get below 40. Most everyone dress in parkas or layers. Your greatest problem is rain. July is about their rainest month. Expect rain for couple days out of your cruise. You pretty much have to prepare for the worst.

Best to have a good waterproof jacket and prepare to dress in layers if you want to stay outside in the elements.

Also take into account what you are doing both on and off the ship.

When we went in early August, the weather was perfect, but when we did excursions and were in the shadows, it was pretty cool (never t shirts for us although temps in the low 70s so maybe for some). When we sailed in Glacier bay, the ship circled a few times in front of a couple of the Glaciers and when we were in the sun, we were warm and when on the shade side, we had to put on our coats. There we pictures posted from Glacier Bay the week before we went and everyone on deck had on coats and looked pretty cold.

The secret to an Alaska cruise is "layers" - allow for putting on and taking off as necessary.

ANYTIME, you go to Alaska, you need a wide range of attire. Always, a lined jacket, knit hat, gloves, rain gear, layers. Also a pair or two of shorts, t shirts etc.

You will use it all at some point, very likely, especially IF you are planning on enjoying your scenic glacier sailing days.

I was Inside Passage starting 7-22-07. Indeed, used all that warm stuff, and tshirts in some ports.

we did 7 day cruise starting july 15 and then 7 day interior alaska. On our trip the weather was absolutely gorgeous. We had only 1 rain day and that was in Glacier Bay. It was really cold. Glad I had jacket, gloves, scarf, hat and a thermal coffee mug. The rest of the time was amazing but probably not usual. When we were in Fairbanks, we wore short sleeved shirts all day. Wore capri's in Denali. The best thing we took was short sleeved tee shirts, long sleeved tee shirts, light fleece jacket, one heavy jacket and jeans. Dont forget the gloves, scarf and hat.

It can be t-shirt weather, but the probability is the temperatures will be in the low 60's. Because you will be visiting Glacier Bay, you have to dress warmly to stay outside. In Glacier Bay, the temperatures with windchill can get below 40. Most everyone dress in parkas or layers. Your greatest problem is rain. July is about their rainest month. Expect rain for couple days out of your cruise. You pretty much have to prepare for the worst.

Best to have a good waterproof jacket and prepare to dress in layers if you want to stay outside in the elements.

Error, sorry, I meant to say July is their driest month, but it still rains alot. For example, Ketchikan gets over 150 inches a year. In July the rainfall averages over 5 inches. (Worst, I saw another site that said it averages over 7 inches in July). Just prepare for the worst.:)

I found a great website for travel to Alaska

www.travelalaska.com

There is a great interactive map that shows the weather and suggested clothing to bring according to the season. My cruise is going to the inside passage. Lots of other great information here also, including a hard-copy guide you can order for free.

Archived