If You Don't Like Being Violated Don't Book A Cruise To Jamaica

Joedog

Some people love Jamaica, some don't. Those who don't jump on any excuse to dump on a developing nation.

I am sorry but you have it all wrong. It is not us dumping on them, it is them dumping (and groping) on us. Treating us all like crap while we are visiting their country. They should be ashamed.

And your reference to Jamaica being a developing nation makes no sense. Did you not notice that we are on a cruise board where 99% of the places visited are developing nations? Why aren't we "dumping" on the other caribbean islands or ports? Why do we love cruising if we dislike developing nations?

Are you saying that poor people do not know how to treat people with common decency and respect? Now THAT is elitist.

Ok, I've read and read and then read more and I finally feel that after a zillion pages of posts that I'll throw my 2 cents in and yes, I have the flame resistent outfit on so go for it, I'm immune.

First off, it amazes me that so many people are still "shocked and appalled" at either hearing about these various happenings in Jamaica. Now the newbies to cruise critic are one thing, they haven't been around as long BUT many of the posters that go off on tangents have tens or even hundreds of posts and these threads about Jamaica come up every couple of weeks so it's not like it's "new" to the regulars on the boards.

Secondly, while yes, Jamaica does have a huge poverty level, some of you people act like it's the only place where inappropriate things take place. I'm not a huggie, kiss kiss kind of person, I like my space but if you go somewhere where pat downs are common, then if you know about it before hand then how shocked can you possibly be?? We've travelled a lot over the years and I can tell you that there are many places who do things that Americans for some reason feel "violated" by. But don't let yourself be fooled into thinking it doesn't happen in the US. Last time I flew into Orlando for a nurse's conference I was dressed in a full dress suit and was randomly chosen to have my luggage and my person searched. Of course they didn't find anything and other than the time inconvenience for me, I took it as being unlucky enough to get chosen. With Americans being overwhelmed with racy TV and fashions and everything else, how can a simple yet aggressive pat down intimidate them so much. Get a grip! If that's the worst thing that you ever encounter, you've been really lucky.

Thirdly, as many times as Jamaica comes up on the boards, if you don't want to go there, then don't but don't chose to go there and then gripe about it. Also, Carnival as well as every other cruise line is a business. Their job is to sell vacations that we willingly buy. It isn't their job to "protect" us on any island or in any other country. Why do all the cruise lines still go there?? Duh...because everyone still books to go there.

There are really bad sections of every city in the world and yes people, that includes the US. We aren't immune. Drugs are a huge problem here the same as other places. Why do they pat down guys harder than women??? Because it's statistically shown that although drug buyers cross the gender lines, drug sellers are more predominantly men. I'd rather them pat me down and find nothing than not pat down someone who then brings drugs onboard or on to the US. I seriously doubt that the searchers get up in the morning and think, "hum, how many men can I feel up today".

So bottom line, stop griping, stop blaming the cruise lines or the US or any of the other insane comments on here. If you go, be prepared, if you are going to be offended then don't go or don't get off the ship.

Well done! It's a vacation, folks.

First, does anyone know if Carnival registers any of their cruise ships in Jamaica? That may answer some of the question.

It really is unfortunate that Jamaica’s attitude is "you are guilty until proven innocent". From what I have read Jamaica’s problems are getting worse and regardless of the reason, tourism is starting to suffer. We were there in January and when leaving, the security was pretty tight at the airport but even worse when we flew into Dallas and went through customs.

This whole thing has been blown out of proportion the way I see it. It’s pretty common knowledge that the way they do thing’s in other countries will be different and that’s just one more thing that makes traveling interesting. If one travels enough, you are certainly going to experience something that you think is unfair or just don’t like. Human rights are considered a privilege in many places.

Being an American and traveling as much as we do, one thing is for sure.... more and more citizens of different countries have a distrust for Americans. Add recent politics to this equation and the result is if you not willing to put up with this sort of stuff, stay home.

If you want change, write Carnival.

We were there in January and when leaving, the security was pretty tight at the airport but even worse when we flew into Dallas and went through customs.

Were there drug dealers standing at the airport selling drugs? Did they grab your family jewels during the security at the airport?

No need for folks to stay home. There are too many other beautiful countries that do appreciate our American money.........and treat you wonderful.

Everyone has their good, bad, fantastic or horrible experiences in their personal travels. My DIL, her twin sister and my DH went to Montego Bay on the Conquest for the last 2 years. We did white water rafting and the zip line tour. Our guides were nice, funny and totally respectful (even when rigging us for the zip) Did some shopping, went to Margaritaville. We were warned about drugs so ignored anyone that approached us. Can say we've been there, done it and had a great time doing it!

Everyone has their good, bad, fantastic or horrible experiences in their personal travels. My DIL, her twin sister and my DH went to Montego Bay on the Conquest for the last 2 years. We did white water rafting and the zip line tour. Our guides were nice, funny and totally respectful (even when rigging us for the zip) Did some shopping, went to Margaritaville. We were warned about drugs so ignored anyone that approached us. Can say we've been there, done it and had a great time doing it!

This is great to hear, and refreshing. It's nice to break up the dizzying array of horror and humiliation with a nice summary of time well spent in Jamaica.

You are the one who took everything off topic with a rant about NOLA. Seems like you can dish it out but......

my thoughts, too.

I guess it becomes off-topic when you start to lose the argument.

We don't book any cruises that go to Jamaica anymore either.

Here's my Jamaica tale:

We had a young honeymoon couple at our table. The girl was "snotted." What's that? Well, when she declined this guys offer to buy drugs, he closed one nostril and blew. Snot all ove her. :mad:

Ok, I've read and read and then read more and I finally feel that after a zillion pages of posts that I'll throw my 2 cents in and yes, I have the flame resistent outfit on so go for it, I'm immune.

First off, it amazes me that so many people are still "shocked and appalled" at either hearing about these various happenings in Jamaica. Now the newbies to cruise critic are one thing, they haven't been around as long BUT many of the posters that go off on tangents have tens or even hundreds of posts and these threads about Jamaica come up every couple of weeks so it's not like it's "new" to the regulars on the boards.

Secondly, while yes, Jamaica does have a huge poverty level, some of you people act like it's the only place where inappropriate things take place. I'm not a huggie, kiss kiss kind of person, I like my space but if you go somewhere where pat downs are common, then if you know about it before hand then how shocked can you possibly be?? We've travelled a lot over the years and I can tell you that there are many places who do things that Americans for some reason feel "violated" by. But don't let yourself be fooled into thinking it doesn't happen in the US. Last time I flew into Orlando for a nurse's conference I was dressed in a full dress suit and was randomly chosen to have my luggage and my person searched. Of course they didn't find anything and other than the time inconvenience for me, I took it as being unlucky enough to get chosen. With Americans being overwhelmed with racy TV and fashions and everything else, how can a simple yet aggressive pat down intimidate them so much. Get a grip! If that's the worst thing that you ever encounter, you've been really lucky.

Thirdly, as many times as Jamaica comes up on the boards, if you don't want to go there, then don't but don't chose to go there and then gripe about it. Also, Carnival as well as every other cruise line is a business. Their job is to sell vacations that we willingly buy. It isn't their job to "protect" us on any island or in any other country. Why do all the cruise lines still go there?? Duh...because everyone still books to go there.

There are really bad sections of every city in the world and yes people, that includes the US. We aren't immune. Drugs are a huge problem here the same as other places. Why do they pat down guys harder than women??? Because it's statistically shown that although drug buyers cross the gender lines, drug sellers are more predominantly men. I'd rather them pat me down and find nothing than not pat down someone who then brings drugs onboard or on to the US. I seriously doubt that the searchers get up in the morning and think, "hum, how many men can I feel up today".

So bottom line, stop griping, stop blaming the cruise lines or the US or any of the other insane comments on here. If you go, be prepared, if you are going to be offended then don't go or don't get off the ship.

I have to say I dont really understand your response. I understand your words but I dont understand why you feel the way you do.

In response to some of the things you wrote, yes I have been around CC a few years and have seen posts about Jamaica and mostly just glanced over them, although I did get the basic idea that some/many people thought that Jamaica generally was UNSAFE and that it was DANGEROUS to be out in the PUBLIC. I respected those people's opinion but figured that it couldnt be that unsafe and when we got to Jamaica we went out on our own and had a good time. Sure people (many people) offered to sell us drugs but in general we never felt unsafe. We went to Sunset Beach then down to the Hip Strip and even the Craft Market. No big thing.

What I was NOT prepared for was what I saw back at the cruise port at the end of our visit to Jamaica, namely men and women being separated from each other and FORCED into different lines to be searched. And not just a "let me look in you bag" cursory search but a search like they do just before they put you in the back of a police car. This is the part I do not understand about your post.....how do you justify this? The local authorities are basically treating ALL cruise ship passengers as if we are criminals. Are cruise ship passengers that much of a problem in Jamaica that they all need to be treated this way? How come NO OTHER COUNTRY that I have been to on a cruise ship has searched me (or anyone else that I have ever seen) when I was heading back to my ship? I have never even had to open a bag for a look see. Cant you see that there is something wrong here?

This isnt about whining about having my privates grabbed. Its about being treated like a criminal for no reason other than I got off the boat.

Also, I think you are wrong about Carnival not having any responsibility here. If they knew what was going on in that terminal (and it is hard to believe they didnt) and they continue to bring people there anyway, they are just a bad as the people who are treating their passengers like criminals. Maybe worse.

Finally, what the heck does what happens in America's airports or cities or anyplace else in the world have to do with me being searched like a criminal in Montego Bay's cruise terminal? Your logic is that because something worse is happening somewhere else in the world than what ever is happening to you doesnt matter? If people are being murdered someplace it's okay to rape people in a different place because rape isnt as bad as murder? I know that is an extreme example but it does follow your logic.

Personally, I think I deserve to be treated better than I was in Jamaica. If you dont think you deserve to be treated better than a common criminal than that's your problem.

If you have nothing to hide, I don't see what the big deal is. We're living in a crazy world people.

You get through it and back to sailing...ahhhhhhh

Life's too short to worry about a pat down.

I don't hold Carnival responsible a bit. They did not twist my arm to get on the boat and by any means tell me I have to get off in Mo Bay!

It's all about choices;)

My questions are:

1. Was this area marked in some way with signs saying "if you enter this area you realize you may be filmed, and are giving permission to be filmed."

2. Was there another way you could have gone to avoid the cameras?

3. Did you report this behavior to any official on the ship?

4. Are you going to inform Carnival of the behavior through a letter or email to Carnival Execs.?

This is NOT something I would let go. I would get to the bottom of this no matter how high I had to go. This is BS!

As far as the women are concerned, I am assuming they did not go through the same treatment or you would have mentioned it. But if the men are going through it, that's is bad enough!

I agree, and I actually enjoyed Ocho Rio, If the passengers are required to go through this kind of harrassent just to get back on the ship, then the ship has no business being there. The lines have stopped going to places because they could not make sure the passengers were going to be safe, Well in my opinion, if Jamacia has become such a place that the "authorities" have to become abusive to the male passengers, then the place is no longer safe for passengers to be there. That just assures me that the "authorities" are admitting that Jamica is a drug infested pit, and because of that we have to be abused. What is the difference if a person gets groped on the street, or in the name of "the law". Abused is abused, no matter who the abuser is!

AND thats not even to mention that you were filmed without permission, or signing a release! I wonder now if THAT's in the Carnival contract.

I really hope you take this to hell and back to get something done about this.

Why would you imagine that a release must be signed in order for someone to film the goings on in a public place?

I was watching TV the other day and they showed a crowd waiting in line to get into AA Center for a Mavs game. I doubt anyone signed a release for that. I saw several news stories which showed crowds involved in various activities. I really doubt that the news crews obtained any releases or asked everyone in the crowd for permission to film the event. I went to a Jimmy Buffet concert once, and they filmed a closeup of me and put it on the big screen when Jimmy Buffet sang "brown eyed girl (I do have brown eyes and just happened to be front and center)." I have no way of knowing what was done with the film later, and no one asked me to sign permission to be filmed or a release of any kind.

I don't know the laws regarding filming crowd scenes in public places here in the US, much less do I know what the laws in very foreign countries might be. But I suspect that no releases are required. Maybe I am wrong, but this wasn't a swimsuit shoot for Sports Ilustrated, so I'm thinking the OP would be wasting their time on this particular issue.

Forgive me if I am making a simplistic characterization: in response to why no other country has searched bags or done a thorough search, not even a "looksie" --> is this simply because those other countries aren't Jamaica? Seriously, most other cruise-visited countries apparently don't have such a problem with drugs and tourists visiting and trying to take said drugs with them back on the ship. Because of the drug problem, and perhaps Carnival's insistence on thorough searches, the result is a thorough search for all passengers.

I do respect the discomfort with having genitalia grabbed and firmly squeezed. The separate gender lines are irrelevant. I can't help but wonder where the "shock and awe" about the search process comes from; I've been to plenty of concerts and airports in the U.S. that required a search of all bags (more than a "looksie"), with the rules clearly posted, which seems to be the case in Jamaica. I've flown to Mexico for a land vacation where the contents of everyone's luggage was quickly searched (granted, this was a smaller airport). I don't feel like the search process is that uncommon. Am I wrong here?

What might be less common is the rough and ready style of the apparently burly mannish women who are squeezing penises and testicles left and right. I don't think, though, that their sole purpose is to make people "feel like criminals" or simply gratify their "jollies" and fetishes of cupping foreign genitalia. That characterization of Jamaican security is juvenile. Further, the characterization of the entire country based on some hours at port makes me wonder about the characterizations and assumptions travelers to the U.S. could make after spending a few hours in this or that major metropolitan area.

We appreciate the information and the awareness, but not the gross stereotypes and summaries of a country based on fear of the "other."

If you go, be prepared, if you are going to be offended then don't go or don't get off the ship.

Well, it seems to me that one way to actually become prepared for a search such as this...or any of the other negative OR positve remarks about Jamaica or any other port, is for someone to come here and post their experience.

The OP as well as other posters provided information and wrote of their experiences. What other posters do with this information is up to them.

That sums up my feelings as well.

Mexico, here I come! :D

Mexico......perfect example of a very very poor country with many many drugs and weapons (gangs) problems.

Big difference........best hospitality I have ever come acrossed. They will do anything to make you feel welcome. And they have good cheap beer:D

"They can't just do anything they want!" --- Yes, they can. You have very little "rights" in a foreign country beyond what they extend to you.

That said, I've heard enough about Jamaica and how they treat the tourists. I, like others, do not understand why they don't clamp down on the drug dealers working openly in front of law enforcement if they are really all that concerned about the drug problem. Seems very logical, then, to conclude that most of the concern about tourists buying drugs is insincere and that the main intent is to extract money from the tourists in the form of fines for offenders. I've also read numerous times about people being planted with drugs and forced to pay fines. Could be all bs, but I don't intend to find out the hard way.

I will probably never go to Jamaica unless and until they clean up their act. It's a shame, as I imagine most of the people there are good, hardworking, normal folks.

Mexico......perfect example of a very very poor country with many many drugs and weapons (gangs) problems.

Big difference........best hospitality I have ever come acrossed. They will do anything to make you feel welcome. And they have good cheap beer:D

Wow, that's inaccurate. Have you ever been to Guadalajara, Monterrey, or many parts of Mexico City? Beautiful, modern, clean, thriving cities. Mexico isn't "very very poor" and yes they do have drugs and gang problems, like many other countries. Don't just believe everything you hear on the news or read on the web and then generalize to the entire country. It's a big country! Mexico does not = Cancun, Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, etc.

Wow, that's inaccurate. Have you ever been to Guadalajara, Monterrey, or many parts of Mexico City? Beautiful, modern, clean, thriving cities. Mexico isn't "very very poor" and yes they do have drugs and gang problems, like many other countries. Don't just believe everything you hear on the news or read on the web and then generalize to the entire country. It's a big country! Mexico does no = Cancun, Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, etc.

We are talking about cruise ports:rolleyes: It's not what I read on the news it is life experiences.

Jamaica does not impress me and I don’t care if I ever go back. That said, it sure does sound like a bunch of silly, naive, coddled Americans. So what, you got felt up, not sure how to break this to you, but about your bits and pieces... Well EVERYONE has a set, one flavor or the other. It is very likely yours are nothing special. Hell, every other animal on the planet will sniff and lick theirs anywhere it suits them.

Other countries are not required to play by “our” rules. In fact, most don’t. The way we Americans are treated by our own government in the name of security is not so far removed from what some people are upset about in Jamaica. Don’t think so? Try living in the Desert southwest near the Mexican Border. It is becoming a police state in many ways out here. Go ahead, try using the PUBLIC LANDS in this part of the country and see what happens.

My issues with Jamaica is not the searching at the port, and I do believe it is nothing but a money grab. They are only trying to “bust” the person who purchased a little of whatever for personal use. In this case, just like it is here, a bust = $$, i.e. revenue for the government. My issue with Jamaica is the feeling I get from many in the population that I am not wanted in their country, that they would prefer I not be there. This attitude is palpable in many of the stores and businesses as well as from people on the street. Not everyone is that way, but I get the feeling there far more then elsewhere I travel to.

Back to the issue at hand, the actions by Jamaican authorities. As I said, I feel in reality, it is nothing more then a shake down, but the permission to do such is created by the so called “War on Drugs”

There is a solution to all of this, and the endless problems the so called “War on Drugs” creates, and yes, the “war” creates far more and sever problems in society then the use of the drugs cause. The solution is, treat drugs like any other commodity, such as alcohol and tobacco, tax it, regulate it and take the BILLIONS of dollars out of the hands of the low life criminals and let the low life’s in the government put some of it to good use.

Face it folks, it is 3 am in the morning and you want to buy booze or street drugs, which is more easy to obtain? It is NOT the Booze! Why? Because it is regulated and controlled. On the other hand, street drugs are available 24/7 anywhere, including Prisons. Why is that? Because of the mass amounts of $$ involved and the lack of oversight and control. Tell me, how much more of a police state and how many more billions are you willing to give low-lifes before you realize how we are approaching “Drugs” in our society is not working?

But the “war on drugs” will never be won, nor does either side really want such to occur. The “War on drugs” keeps prices of the commodity up which equals greater profits. Too many people, the governments as well as the criminals have far too much at stake.

Forgive me if I am making a simplistic characterization: in response to why no other country has searched bags or done a thorough search, not even a "looksie" --> is this simply because those other countries aren't Jamaica? Seriously, most other cruise-visited countries apparently don't have such a problem with drugs and tourists visiting and trying to take said drugs with them back on the ship. Because of the drug problem, and perhaps Carnival's insistence on thorough searches, the result is a thorough search for all passengers.

I do respect the discomfort with having genitalia grabbed and firmly squeezed. The separate gender lines are irrelevant. I can't help but wonder where the "shock and awe" about the search process comes from; I've been to plenty of concerts and airports in the U.S. that required a search of all bags (more than a "looksie"), with the rules clearly posted, which seems to be the case in Jamaica. I've flown to Mexico for a land vacation where the contents of everyone's luggage was quickly searched (granted, this was a smaller airport). I don't feel like the search process is that uncommon. Am I wrong here?

What might be less common is the rough and ready style of the apparently burly mannish women who are squeezing penises and testicles left and right. I don't think, though, that their sole purpose is to make people "feel like criminals" or simply gratify their "jollies" and fetishes of cupping foreign genitalia. That characterization of Jamaican security is juvenile. Further, the characterization of the entire country based on some hours at port makes me wonder about the characterizations and assumptions travelers to the U.S. could make after spending a few hours in this or that major metropolitan area.

We appreciate the information and the awareness, but not the gross stereotypes and summaries of a country based on fear of the "other."

I do not think that I have posted any gross stereotype and summaries of Jamaica as a country. My original post was to inform people of treatment I received in the cruise terminal at Montego Bay so that they would know what they might expect there. The back and forth discussion of that particular event has raised other questions and caused/allowed others to state their various opinions of Jamaica as a whole. That said, my question/s still remain/s, why is Jamaica (Montego Bay in particular) the ONLY caribbean port (that I know of) that finds it necessary to physically search cruise ship passengers when they leave? Pointing this curious (to me anyhow) fact out is not "Jamaica Bashing", or are we so PC now that we have to ignore things because they might put something/someone in a bad light, even if they are true?

We are talking about cruise ports:rolleyes: It's not what I read on the news it is life experiences.

I apologize, then. I did not know you had intimate, first-hand knowledge of the drug, gang, and weapon problems throughout the interior of Mexico, as well as the coastal areas.

Jamaica does not impress me and I don’t care if I ever go back. That said, it sure does sound like a bunch of silly, naive, coddled Americans. So what, you got felt up, not sure how to break this to you, but about your bits and pieces... Well EVERYONE has a set, one flavor or the other. It is very likely yours are nothing special. Hell, every other animal on the planet will sniff and lick theirs anywhere it suits them.

Other countries are not required to play by “our” rules. In fact, most don’t. The way we Americans are treated by our own government in the name of security is not so far removed from what some people are upset about in Jamaica. Don’t think so? Try living in the Desert southwest near the Mexican Border. It is becoming a police state in many ways out here. Go ahead, try using the PUBLIC LANDS in this part of the country and see what happens.

My issues with Jamaica is not the searching at the port, and I do believe it is nothing but a money grab. They are only trying to “bust” the person who purchased a little of whatever for personal use. In this case, just like it is here, a bust = $$, i.e. revenue for the government. My issue with Jamaica is the feeling I get from many in the population that I am not wanted in their country, that they would prefer I not be there. This attitude is palpable in many of the stores and businesses as well as from people on the street. Not everyone is that way, but I get the feeling there far more then elsewhere I travel to.

Back to the issue at hand, the actions by Jamaican authorities. As I said, I feel in reality, it is nothing more then a shake down, but the permission to do such is created by the so called “War on Drugs”

There is a solution to all of this, and the endless problems the so called “War on Drugs” creates, and yes, the “war” creates far more and sever problems in society then the use of the drugs cause. The solution is, treat drugs like any other commodity, such as alcohol and tobacco, tax it, regulate it and take the BILLIONS of dollars out of the hands of the low life criminals and let the low life’s in the government put some of it to good use.

Face it folks, it is 3 am in the morning and you want to buy booze or street drugs, which is more easy to obtain? It is NOT the Booze! Why? Because it is regulated and controlled. On the other hand, street drugs are available 24/7 anywhere, including Prisons. Why is that? Because of the mass amounts of $$ involved and the lack of oversight and control. Tell me, how much more of a police state and how many more billions are you willing to give low-lifes before you realize how we are approaching “Drugs” in our society is not working?

But the “war on drugs” will never be won, nor does either side really want such to occur. The “War on drugs” keeps prices of the commodity up which equals greater profits. Too many people, the governments as well as the criminals have far too much at stake.

I do not think that I have posted any gross stereotype and summaries of Jamaica as a country. My original post was to inform people of treatment I received in the cruise terminal at Montego Bay so that they would know what they might expect there. The back and forth discussion of that particular event has raised other questions and caused/allowed others to state their various opinions of Jamaica as a whole. That said, my question/s still remain/s, why is Jamaica (Montego Bay in particular) the ONLY caribbean port (that I know of) that finds it necessary to physically search cruise ship passengers when they leave? Pointing this curious (to me anyhow) fact out is not "Jamaica Bashing", or are we so PC now that we have to ignore things because they might put something/someone in a bad light, even if they are true?

Well, my post about the stereotypes and summaries of Jamaica had nothing to do with you. I read your post.

Wow, that's inaccurate. Have you ever been to Guadalajara, Monterrey, or many parts of Mexico City? Beautiful, modern, clean, thriving cities. Mexico isn't "very very poor" and yes they do have drugs and gang problems, like many other countries. Don't just believe everything you hear on the news or read on the web and then generalize to the entire country. It's a big country! Mexico does not = Cancun, Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, etc.

You are inacurrate yourself. Mexico really only has two classes of people. The wealthy and the poor. I've been to Mexico City, Monterey and PV. The vast majority of Mexicans are extremely dirt poor. I have a friend from Montery and her family there is very wealthy. Generally, only those who have access and resources to go to school are the ones able to make it. Mexico has no state run school system. They go to private schools, if they have the money.

Archived