Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Thanks to all for the very useful information. We will be arriving at Ballantyne Pier and need to get to the Blue Horizon Hotel for 1 night then on to YVR. There are 4 of us and we thought it would probably be easier if we booked our transportation before we left home.

We would appreciate any reliable car service information.

Thanks

This trip is DD Junior high Graduation gift....after doing quite a bit of research, i decided to splurge on the limo service at the airport. It is going to cost 40.00 for three of us to our downtown hotel. This price is very close to what a taxi was going to cost, and we didn't want to spend a couple of hours taking city transit.

Thanks PD.

When you say that the Skytrain's Main St. station is across the train station, is this station (Main St. Station) in Downtown Vancouver? Does it have a tunnel to cross from the train station level? I didn't choose a hotel downtown because I don't know the location of the hotels regarding the train stations and the Hilton Metrotown was the only one that I found that listed the hotel as just one block away from the Skytrain.

Thanks PD.

When you say that the Skytrain's Main St. station is across the train station, is this station (Main St. Station) in Downtown Vancouver? Does it have a tunnel to cross from the train station level? I didn't choose a hotel downtown because I don't know the location of the hotels regarding the train stations and the Hilton Metrotown was the only one that I found that listed the hotel as just one block away from the Skytrain.

There is no tunnel, you get off SkyTrain at the Main St. station and then look for an elevator that will take you down to street level. If you look across Main St. you will see the Pacific Central Station and that is where Amtrak comes in. There is a small park in front of the PC station, about a 1/2 block wide but you won't have any problem seeing it. Also, the PC station is not what is considered downtown, it is on the edge of downtown. To get to downtown stay on SkyTrain to the Granville Station, Burrard Station or Waterfront Station. Waterfront Station is the end of the line and is adjacent to Canada Place. I am attaching a link that should help you.

Feel free to come back with any additonal questions you may have.

www.translink.bc.ca

Actually if you don't need to use the elevator - ie okay with stairs - you can just walk to the far end of the station platform and walk down the stairs - this eliminates the long wait for the street lights to change as you have crossed the street on the platform.

Nice and sunny here this morning.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you Vicki_Bernie and all the other Vancouverites for this thread! While I'm still a year away from my Alaska cruise, have been busy making notes, saving links, etc. Hopefully the thread and you will still be around in about 6 months when I get down to some seriously looking for hotel and things to do.

Great Job.

Hi everyone,

We are going to be staying at the The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver, for 3 days after our Tahitian Princess cruise to Alaska. We will be getting to the hotel on Thursday, July 24, and will be flying out of Vancouver on Sunday morning, July 27.

We are staying at that hotel because of vacations and flight deal Alaska Air was offering. We have more of a history of staying in smaller hotels and B&B's.

My question deals with places to eat in the walking distance around the hotel.

My wife has some leg problems that make very long walks a problem without being able to sit down and rest in-between. I have been checking out information on TripAdvisor and it looks like there are a lot of options in the West end area. But what I am hoping to get is some recommendations from people who have eaten in some of the restaurants in the area.

If necessary we can get a taxi or take public transportation to go out for dinner. I suspect we will end up doing lunches in whatever area we are looking at that day.

We both enjoy Chinese and Italian food and also both like seafood. From what I have seen we shouldn't have a problem finding a good restaurant. I also like good dark beer especially microbreweries.

Thanks for any help and have a great next cruise.

A good casual seafood restaurant just couple blocks from the Bayshore is Cardero's which is an upscale marine overlooking the Coal Harbour yacht basin. The other is the Boathouse on Denman at Beach but it is 8 or 9 blocks from the Bayshore. There is also the Fish House in Stanley Park and that would require a cab. Sorry I really can't recommend a good Chinese or Italian restaurant in the West End, I am just a little out of touch these days with that area now.

http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/home.html

http://www.boathouserestaurants.ca/2004/english_bay.htm

www.fishhousestanleypark.com

Would the Hilton Vancouver Metrotown be an inconvenient place to stay after a cruise. The website says that is one block from the Skytrain station. I'm planning to stay in Vancouver for 2 days and then take a train or bus to Seattle.

Thanks

Metrotown is about a half hour from downtown by taking our skytrain (like our metro/subway).

It is very convenient to tons of shops (huge mall there) and restaurants and movies (just in case you get the urge).

The fare from metrotown station to downtown is $3.75 one way. I would recommend buy a day pass from the station. It is $9 and is good all day and in all zones. The regular fare is only good for 90 min.

Hi everyone,

We are going to be staying at the The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver, for 3 days after our Tahitian Princess cruise to Alaska. We will be getting to the hotel on Thursday, July 24, and will be flying out of Vancouver on Sunday morning, July 27.

We are staying at that hotel because of vacations and flight deal Alaska Air was offering. We have more of a history of staying in smaller hotels and B&B's.

My question deals with places to eat in the walking distance around the hotel.

My wife has some leg problems that make very long walks a problem without being able to sit down and rest in-between. I have been checking out information on TripAdvisor and it looks like there are a lot of options in the West end area. But what I am hoping to get is some recommendations from people who have eaten in some of the restaurants in the area.

If necessary we can get a taxi or take public transportation to go out for dinner. I suspect we will end up doing lunches in whatever area we are looking at that day.

We both enjoy Chinese and Italian food and also both like seafood. From what I have seen we shouldn't have a problem finding a good restaurant. I also like good dark beer especially microbreweries.

Thanks for any help and have a great next cruise.

You picked a great hotel, it is away from the downtown but close to everything still. You are right at the entrace to Stanley Park.

There is a White Spot restaurant two blocks away that we go to for a good "Amerian" breakfast, service is good, prices reasonably and they are usually very helpful with tourists.

I too can't really help with regards to Italian and Chinese, the ones we love are a distance away from the downtown core.

Someone had posted about walking around at night on Granville St.

I am a woman and would feel totally comfortable walking around Granville Street at night. Now midnight and later, maybe not, but I wouldn't really walk anywhere alone at that time.

The Entertainment area is crazy at times, but it is usually partiers (think spring break) leaving the bars drunk. Yes there are the occasionaly problems but it is mainly testosterone driven. North of that area use to be very nice, but currently they have the roads torn up and are building an addition to our metro line. So no fun walking in that area.

I highly recommend walking Robson street West, Denman Street South then Davie East, and if you can still walk, walk up Burrard North to your hotel.

This area is safe, and I feel comfortable. There are lots of locals, tons of restaurants, shops, outside cafes, and beautiful vistas.

If you don't want to walk you can take transit and get off along the route, take the Robson/Davie bus.

Not to mention my favorite dessert place "cupcakes" located on Denman just north of Davie, no need to describe the name says it all.

This area is a great place to people watch and enjoy the sunshine (hopefully).

The one area I would recommend people not walk in (male or female, young or old) at night is the Downtown East Side.

Enjoy our great city.

I am off to pick up friends we met on these boards and then sailed with in Jan from the Island Princess and show them our great city.

Vickie

I am back as you can see, I was asked to come back so here I am, hopefully I can assist where needed, but I don't have as much time as other posters as I have to work and maintain my family life... I just wish I could think cruising all the time. Don't we all...

Again, my postings are just my opinion, don't shoot the messenger if you disagree.

Vickie

Perfect thread for all of us leaving out of Vancouver on the Tahitian Princess this summer.

I know I have a lot of questions about Vancouver as we are staying at the Westin for two nights prior to our departure, but I'll read through the posts first and see if already asked and answered.

Thanks for your contibutions

Greg

Amazing, I'm only half way thru the threads.... Thanks SO much for all the info!!

We are coming in late August, staying 3 nite precruise and 2 nites post cruise -- we have 2 kids - ages 5 & 8 plus my father in law age 78 (2 rooms) .

Ideally, I'd like something downtown - so we can walk to the shopping on Robson, to the Pacific Centre, and over to Gastown. Ideally, I'd like a hotel that is Nice but still Kid Friendly, if you know what I mean. A Pool would be excellent. Breakfast full (hot and cold) buffet would be great.

We are at Ballantyne pier so we'd cab it no matter where we stay. Hubby stayed once at The Wall and would be fine with that, I'd prefer something a little closer to Canada Place.

How long a "gentle walk" is it from the Marriott Pinnacle to Pacific Centre?

Any recommendations would be MUCH appreciated! There is SO much to choose from!!!

Thanks much AGAIN!!

We will be traveling to Vancouver in Sept. 08 and need to find transportation to Down Town Hotel, is it cheaper for the 2 of us to catch a taxi or to reserve a limo for 45.00?

Also, we will be staying at Hampton Inn on Robson St. and we need to find reasonable bottled water and soda, we usually buy from CVS or Walmart and give about 2.50 for a 12 pack of soda can you tell me where to go?

Thank you

For bottled water etc your two best bets downtown are either Shopper's drug mart or London drugs - both have several locations near where you are staying - there is a 7- 11 almost across the street but there prices won't be cheap - there is also a Costco close by if you are a member there.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

"How long a "gentle walk" is it from the Marriott Pinnacle to Pacific Centre?"

It would be about four or five blocks of very slightly uphill to the closest Pacific centre entrance on Pender St.

Hope this helps.

As for hotels I will let some of the others give an answer but i can tell you that the Quality Inn on Howe St has a pool as I can see it from my nearby condo.

Cheers

Dennis

We will be traveling to Vancouver in Sept. 08 and need to find transportation to Down Town Hotel, is it cheaper for the 2 of us to catch a taxi or to reserve a limo for 45.00?

Also, we will be staying at Hampton Inn on Robson St. and we need to find reasonable bottled water and soda, we usually buy from CVS or Walmart and give about 2.50 for a 12 pack of soda can you tell me where to go?

Thank you

Ut is correct about Shoppers and London Drugs, London Drugs is probably your closest at Georgia & Granville. Brand name soda sometimes goes on sale for about $3.50 for a 12 pack and once and awhile 3 X 12's for $10, otherwise it is about $4.50 for a 12. Bottled water can be all over the map and we just usually buy Costco's.

Your taxi from YVR into downtown should run about $35/40 but if there is more than 3 of you with luggage, because most of Vancouver's cabs have been downsized, the limo would likely be best.

Amazing, I'm only half way thru the threads.... Thanks SO much for all the info!!

We are coming in late August, staying 3 nite precruise and 2 nites post cruise -- we have 2 kids - ages 5 & 8 plus my father in law age 78 (2 rooms) .

Ideally, I'd like something downtown - so we can walk to the shopping on Robson, to the Pacific Centre, and over to Gastown. Ideally, I'd like a hotel that is Nice but still Kid Friendly, if you know what I mean. A Pool would be excellent. Breakfast full (hot and cold) buffet would be great.

We are at Ballantyne pier so we'd cab it no matter where we stay. Hubby stayed once at The Wall and would be fine with that, I'd prefer something a little closer to Canada Place.

How long a "gentle walk" is it from the Marriott Pinnacle to Pacific Centre?

Any recommendations would be MUCH appreciated! There is SO much to choose from!!!

Thanks much AGAIN!!

Just to pick up where Ut left off, there is is the Marriot Residences across the street from the Pinnacle, the Hyatt Regency at Burrard and Georgia/Dunsmiur where people have been getting rooms at sub $200 lately, you may also want to consider the Le Soleil which is a boutique hotel on Hornby St. The Hyatt is 3 blocks to PC and the LeSoleil is 1 1/2 blocks. There is the Four Seasons right at Pacific Centre, and places like Fairmont' Waterfront and Hotel Vancouver, the Pan Pacific and the Tower at the Terminal City Club but these are pretty expensive properties. One last one to consider would be the Sandman Inn on W. Georgia, which is about 3 blocks from PC and more family type accommodation and it has a Moxie's restaurant on the ground floor and about 2 blocks to a White Spot, both are sort of "Applebies" type restaurants.

Thanks PD and Vickie.

Do they allow luggage in the Skytrain? I'm taking a suitcase with me.

Sure they do, however as these are commuter cars you may find it best to stand or sit in the areas as you enter the car as there is more room there and you won't impede people getting on and off the train.