Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Well; given your screen name; and the fact that BC Place Stadium is across the street from your hotel, have you considered an MLS game?

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/schedule?month=all&year=2015&competition_type=all&broadcast_type=68&op=Search&form_id=mls_schedule_form

What a great idea. I looked at the schedule and there are no games the time we are there. That would have been so much fun. Yes, we do love soccer. :)

Thanks for the info. We are ar the Hampton if that helps. Looking for maybe more burger or seafood or local fare if there is such. Place with lots of different beer and maybe local brews. Thanks again.

I like the White Spot place. Is that good? That is my top three that I have narrowed down.

Whether it was Capilano (convenient 'free' shuttle included in the ~$30pp entrance fee) or Lynn Canyon (free, but lengthy by Transit if you don't hire a car) I simply can't recommend visiting either bridge if you aren't confident you can handle wobbly bridges. Without the bridges, you don't really get much more of an experience than you would in Stanley Park, which has plenty of big trees and quiet areas you can just about escape from the rest of humanity (or at least pretend to for a little bit).

I always recommend people have a Plan B focused on indoor options - it rains here a lot, and while we've had three very sunny summers in a row it just takes one day of rain on the day you allocated to sightseeing to put the proverbial damper on things. Should the weather cooperate, which it probably will July/August, then if you get through your Plan A things quicker than expected you can also hit your Plan Bs - you don't have to wait for a rainy day to enjoy the Aquarium, Science World, our various Museums or Galleries.

If you're biking, a great shortcut is to take the ferry across False Creek south of Stanley Park - that gets you over to the Granville Island & then Kitsilano sections of the Seawall without going all the way around the shore. Even if you want to see Science World or the Athlete's Village, you can always cycle one way and ferry the other.

Aquabus have dedicated 'cyquabus' boats that you can roll your bikes on and off very easily, but False Creek Ferries go right to the Maritime Museum - personally I'd opt for the latter as it cuts even more distance off on one leg, and the views back across to downtown from the seawall near Vanier Park (where you can also do the Space Centre and City of Vancouver Museum, plus Bard on the Beach if you're a Shakespeare buff) are great.

Here's a Google Map showing what I mean about the distances - if you take the ferry you go from A to B via E, instead of the entire loop via B & C. There are nice views, and some of the best patios in the city, along the south shore of the creek though so it is worth doing one way - especially if you want to see our Olympic legacy, as the village is the biggest part of it. Hinge Park (locally more often referred to as Beer Island) is worth wandering onto - entirely man-made, but very natural-looking, to replace the shoreline that was lost when the village was built (the original waterfront was under the Salt building, which now houses Craft an Albertan alehouse which I do NOT recommend - hit the Tap & Barrel across the square for bigger and better value beers as well as better food and the best patio).

OMG Thank you so much. You have been wonderful with all the restaurant choices and now this. I can't thank you enough. Maybe you can be our tour guide LOL. We are very excited about our time in Vancouver, wish we had longer, but hope to make the most of it that we can while we are there. And rain, it better not rain on our parade. I was hoping for a nice sunny, 80 degree day - to much to wish for?? One can only hope.

The downside to grabbing a taxi at the airport and heading to one of the airport hotels in Richmond is the taxi flat rates conspire against you. $20 for a 2 mile journey...

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought that was the situation.

I guess we'll decide when we get there. It will depend upon how tired/impatient we are.

B

OMG Thank you so much. You have been wonderful with all the restaurant choices and now this. I can't thank you enough. Maybe you can be our tour guide LOL. We are very excited about our time in Vancouver, wish we had longer, but hope to make the most of it that we can while we are there. And rain, it better not rain on our parade. I was hoping for a nice sunny, 80 degree day - to much to wish for?? One can only hope.

No problem; it's very nice of you to consistently come back and thank all the posters! If you're visiting mid-late July I'll be in town without anything particular to do - happy to walk your round a few local alehouses in exchange for a beer or three;-)

As to the White Spot & Memphis Blues notes from your other posts above:

White Spot is great at what it does, but you might find it too quiet for your 'good times' criteria - it's a family restaurant with a broad menu (and aside from the utterly inauthentic Sticky Toffee Pudding, a generally decent quality menu) that copes well with everything from a quick fried breakfast to a sit-down dinner. While they do have a few beers on, including their own house pale ale, it's not somewhere to hang around for the craic after dining - OTOH if you want to go somewhere guaranteed to be free of frat boys & hipsters, White Spot is the bees knees!

BBQ in Vancouver is not something I could recommend to anyone who is picky about BBQ - if you want charcoal not gas grills, all-day or multi-day smoking, molasses & vinegar, rubs rather than sauces, mustard over tomato, best to eat other kinds of food here. If you like pulled pork or ribs slathered in sauce you'll do just fine though.

I actually really like the smoked sausage in Memphis Blues, they always have at least a couple of local ales on, and their pulled pork & ribs are just fine - but the sides vary from OK (corn bread, slaw, fries) to god-awful (collard greens boiled so long there's barely any green left, beans that taste like someone bought catering size tins of Heinz baked beans, a cup of sugar, and a bottle of Bullseye BBQ sauce then mixed 'em and warmed 'em up).

Despite the caveats, I'd still recommend MB as the best BBQ option downtown.

I like the White Spot place. Is that good? That is my top three that I have narrowed down.

Our last trip to Vancouver we walked a couple of blocks to a White Spot for breakfast at about 1/3 the price of our hotel. Food and service were great, even on the morning when there was a power failure.

No problem; it's very nice of you to consistently come back and thank all the posters! If you're visiting mid-late July I'll be in town without anything particular to do - happy to walk your round a few local alehouses in exchange for a beer or three;-)

As to the White Spot & Memphis Blues notes from your other posts above:

White Spot is great at what it does, but you might find it too quiet for your 'good times' criteria - it's a family restaurant with a broad menu (and aside from the utterly inauthentic Sticky Toffee Pudding, a generally decent quality menu) that copes well with everything from a quick fried breakfast to a sit-down dinner. While they do have a few beers on, including their own house pale ale, it's not somewhere to hang around for the craic after dining - OTOH if you want to go somewhere guaranteed to be free of frat boys & hipsters, White Spot is the bees knees!

BBQ in Vancouver is not something I could recommend to anyone who is picky about BBQ - if you want charcoal not gas grills, all-day or multi-day smoking, molasses & vinegar, rubs rather than sauces, mustard over tomato, best to eat other kinds of food here. If you like pulled pork or ribs slathered in sauce you'll do just fine though.

I actually really like the smoked sausage in Memphis Blues, they always have at least a couple of local ales on, and their pulled pork & ribs are just fine - but the sides vary from OK (corn bread, slaw, fries) to god-awful (collard greens boiled so long there's barely any green left, beans that taste like someone bought catering size tins of Heinz baked beans, a cup of sugar, and a bottle of Bullseye BBQ sauce then mixed 'em and warmed 'em up).

Despite the caveats, I'd still recommend MB as the best BBQ option downtown.

Thanks again. I always appreciate the time people take to answer the questions I have and trust me, I have a lot. Cruise critic has always been so helpful. We will be in town late July. I will keep your offer in mind. You have given me great information and a lot to think about.

There's a few other good places on Robson; certainly not destination places, but great for a bite to eat inexpensively:

India Gate

Viet Sub (best Banh Mi in the city in my mind)

Five Guys Burgers

We arrive in Vancouver May 1 (Friday) on the Celebrity Solstice and since it is at the beginning of the Alaska season there is not an Express shuttle with Quick Shuttle to get us to SeaTac. We have to be in front of the Pan Pacific Hotel at 11:00 am to be picked up at 11:15. We will be the last stop at SeaTac at 5:00pm. There are lots of stops for pickups but we are not allowed to get off bus, so my question is: are there any places nearby that one of us (we will have our bags) can go to purchase sandwiches for eating on the bus. I suppose we could subsist on our granola bars but do not really want to! Thanks for any suggestions!

We arrive in Vancouver May 1 (Friday) on the Celebrity Solstice and since it is at the beginning of the Alaska season there is not an Express shuttle with Quick Shuttle to get us to SeaTac. We have to be in front of the Pan Pacific Hotel at 11:00 am to be picked up at 11:15. We will be the last stop at SeaTac at 5:00pm. There are lots of stops for pickups but we are not allowed to get off bus, so my question is: are there any places nearby that one of us (we will have our bags) can go to purchase sandwiches for eating on the bus. I suppose we could subsist on our granola bars but do not really want to! Thanks for any suggestions!

There's a Starbucks right there at Canada Place, and there's a small food court across the street and down one level that has a Tim Hortons and a bunch of other food outlets.. If you enter the building to your left (as you stand in front of Canada Place), there's also a place called Creme de la Crumb that has sandwiches

There's a Starbucks right there at Canada Place, and there's a small food court across the street and down one level that has a Tim Hortons and a bunch of other food outlets.. If you enter the building to your left (as you stand in front of Canada Place), there's also a place called Creme de la Crumb that has sandwiches

Thanks so much! Will I be able to use American money or should I be sure to have some Canadian?

They finally reopened the replacement location - it's listed as Dunsmuir. Less than 400 yards from where the one on Georgia was - head toward the mountains and take the first right.

Hi martincath!

Is the White Spot on Dunsmuir the closest one to Canada Place? DH and I will be visiting Vancouver for the first time this May, and I've decided I want to try White Spot on disembarkation day. I'm looking forward to it because we don't have White Spot in the US.

Yes it is the closest one to Canada Place and it is also I believe the largest in the chain.

Rosegrower - yes you will be able to use American $$$ but don't expect much of an exchange rate.

There are three ships in port on May 1 - I am on one of them - the Grand Princess so the area around Canada Place is likely to be very busy + the Vancouver Marathon is on the Sunday and there are pre-race activities in the area.

If using Quick shuttle that day get your reservation in now if you haven't already done so.

Cheers!

Dennis

Hi martincath!

Is the White Spot on Dunsmuir the closest one to Canada Place? DH and I will be visiting Vancouver for the first time this May, and I've decided I want to try White Spot on disembarkation day. I'm looking forward to it because we don't have White Spot in the US.

UT beat me to confirming Dunsmuir is nearest - but depending what else you plan to do that day it might not be the most *convenient*. If you're planning to visit Stanley Park the one on Georgia by Bidwell is the closest to there; there's also the one near UTs condo at Drake & Granville if you were perhaps shopping downtown or heading to Granville Island; the other Vancouver branches are almost certainly going to be less useful than those three.

Though if you were considering the White Spot burgers for your meal, there are also some Triple O burger joints (vastly cut down menus, but the same burgers as White Spot) at 1055 Dunsmuir, in the CBC building at Hamilton between Georgia & Homer, and in Science World (which has a burger window right onto the Seawall extension loop that runs around the outside of the building).

Urban Trekker- you mention the Marathon Sunday May 2. I am planning to walk from Waterfront Station to Canada Place to board our Princess cruise thst day. Will there be road closures or any other concerns I should be aware of??

No, you'll be fine. The start is nowhere near downtown, and the end is a number of blocks NW of Canada place.

Which line are you coming from?

Canada Line: exit using the exit right on the platform marked "Way Out - Granville Street", don't go down the tunnel into Waterfront Stn itself. From there, turn left on W.Hastings, right on Howe and Canada Place is dead ahead of you. This makes the walk shorter, and slightly downhill vs exiting via the main Station itself.

Expo/Millennium Line: turn left off the train (signs to Waterfront Centre/Sinclair Centre/Canada Place) up a short escalator, turn right up a longer escalator and Canada Place is dead ahead.

Yes it is the closest one to Canada Place and it is also I believe the largest in the chain.

Rosegrower - yes you will be able to use American $$$ but don't expect much of an exchange rate.

There are three ships in port on May 1 - I am on one of them - the Grand Princess so the area around Canada Place is likely to be very busy + the Vancouver Marathon is on the Sunday and there are pre-race activities in the area.

If using Quick shuttle that day get your reservation in now if you haven't already done so.

Cheers!

Dennis

Yes, I already have made the reservation. Thanks for your reply!

UT beat me to confirming Dunsmuir is nearest - but depending what else you plan to do that day it might not be the most *convenient*. If you're planning to visit Stanley Park the one on Georgia by Bidwell is the closest to there; there's also the one near UTs condo at Drake & Granville if you were perhaps shopping downtown or heading to Granville Island; the other Vancouver branches are almost certainly going to be less useful than those three.

Though if you were considering the White Spot burgers for your meal, there are also some Triple O burger joints (vastly cut down menus, but the same burgers as White Spot) at 1055 Dunsmuir, in the CBC building at Hamilton between Georgia & Homer, and in Science World (which has a burger window right onto the Seawall extension loop that runs around the outside of the building).

Thank you both for your replies and advice!

Edited by undercat

There's a few other good places on Robson; certainly not destination places, but great for a bite to eat inexpensively:

India Gate

Viet Sub (best Banh Mi in the city in my mind)

Five Guys Burgers

Thanks. I will keep those in mind as well - well expect Five Guys - love it but I have one 3 minutes from me now LOL

I arrive May 9th to Vancouver via the Noordam. 3 ships will be in port that day. The question: Will it be too busy to leave Canada Place for a few hours? The ship (I'm on a B2B) sails at 5pm so I would like to be onboard at 3pm. I was at Canada Place 2 years ago but don't remember how many ships were there that day.

TIA. :)