coffee lovers take notice

cina54

Hi everyone, Just off AOS on 2/24 that was one of the best cruises we have ever taken. I discovered something that many of you may have figured out long ago but has taken me 11 cruises to do so. I was in the promenade making my coffee at the cafe when I was making my coffee (that by the way I always hated the coffee on the ships so bad that I barely drink it on a cruise, I am spoiled at home in NH by our Green Mountain coffee that is from VT) it occured to me that maybe the coffee is really not mud but is just way too strong (I also do not like Starbucks probably for the same reason) so I added hot water (the one used for tea) and added coffee and milk. Well I could not believe how good the coffee was! I drank the whole cup and came back after lunch for my ritual chocolate chip cookie to have another. In the Windjammer they do not like you to get your own drinks so unless you want to break their rules and make your own the cafe is the best. Besides in the cafe the cup is bigger and portable with a cover. I just had to share this with anyone who has not figured this out. I am a true coffee snob and for me to be happy it has to be good.

cina54

next cruise LOS 2/21/09

PS I read someone stated on the boards that the CL had the best coffee well not for me.... with the coffee machine and the small cups adding water was not an option... no good for me there.

Thanks for mentioning the tip – I like weak coffee so for me it has always been half water, half coffee. I do that lots of places – especially on the ships.

For room service, it has been confusing to the staff that I just want hot water, so I order hot tea. (and don’t use the bag)

m

You can definitely add water to your coffee in the Concierge Lounge! After making a latte, there is still at least a 1/4 of the cup still available to fill with water. I found even the lattes in the Lounge were strong, so I always added some water and then it was delicious! :)

maybe what appears to be "strong"...is just OLD! HAHA

me? i like my coffee to taste like coffee. anything less than a strong bean flavor is simply not going to "do it for me"

Ditto

In fact, I've been known to do a full 12oz coffee cup of expresso, sans latche.

Can I take my own cup. I have a 24oz mug with a lid.

We take big mugs, and I also bring some flavored creamer. I've found the Seattle's Best coffee in the Cafe Promenade to be very good.

Even in the Windjammer you can ask for 1/2 coffee1/2hot water and they will happily do it for you.

I find myself mostly drinking tea on cruises because the coffee is sooo bad. I love coffee with desert and I try a couple evenings to get coffee but still toooo strong for me. Guess I should ask my waiter for a little pot of hot water.

We do bring a french press for incabin coffee and enjoy really good coffee there.

Bev

Even in the Windjammer you can ask for 1/2 coffee1/2hot water and they will happily do it for you.

I find myself mostly drinking tea on cruises because the coffee is sooo bad. I love coffee with desert and I try a couple evenings to get coffee but still toooo strong for me. Guess I should ask my waiter for a little pot of hot water.

We do bring a french press for incabin coffee and enjoy really good coffee there.

Bev

I love your french press idea, but where are you getting the boiling water?? The hot water from room service just doesn't seem like it would be hot enough!

is there a charge for coffee at the CP? I mean regular brewed coffee not a special ie espresso, etc.

if you bring your own insulated mug, will they fill it for you?

I hear they also have cookies each day?

any info would be appreciated.

They have a coffee/tea station where you help yourself, and there's no charge for that coffee. We saw quite a few people filling their travel mugs last time, so we'll be packing those for our next cruise.

The lattes, espresso, etc. that they make up for you at the PC aren't free.

PS I read someone stated on the boards that the CL had the best coffee well not for me.... with the coffee machine and the small cups adding water was not an option... no good for me there.

I guess everyone has their own taste...I personally prefer Blue Mountain to Green...and the CL lounge does have excellent coffee....in my opinion...

Does anyone bring a small coffee pot? I really hate the ships coffee..and need a good cup in the morning. We've brought our small one from home (makes 2 indiv.cups at a time) loved it! With all the crack downs of late, wondering if my coffee pot will make it this time.

Can I take my own cup. I have a 24oz mug with a lid.

We always bring our insulated mugs for coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon. They don't like you to fill the mugs directly from the dispensers so we always get 3 or 4 cups of coffee and pour it into the mugs, usually 2 glasses of tea is enough for each mug.

FWIW....along time ago the late CBS Sunday Morning host Charles Kerault did a story on regional preferences for coffee strength. In it he determined that the farther a place was from an ocean the weaker coffee was made due to expensive transport in the pioneer days. People "in the middle" tended to use less to make it last longer (and put other stuff in it too like egg to stretch the grounds). He determined that the weakest coffee in the USA was around Brookings, SD. I can believe it. Coffee in nearby west-central MN is terribly weak...looks like tea and tastes like water run through cardboard. :( Having lived for many years in Seattle I got used to really strong coffee and FRESH is definitely best. Coffee has a lifespan of about 30 minutes once made. I'm looking forward to trying RCI's coffee in a few weeks.

FWIW....along time ago the late CBS Sunday Morning host Charles Kerault did a story on regional preferences for coffee strength. In it he determined that the farther a place was from an ocean the weaker coffee was made due to expensive transport in the pioneer days. People "in the middle" tended to use less to make it last longer (and put other stuff in it too like egg to stretch the grounds). He determined that the weakest coffee in the USA was around Brookings, SD. I can believe it. Coffee in nearby west-central MN is terribly weak...looks like tea and tastes like water run through cardboard. :( Having lived for many years in Seattle I got used to really strong coffee and FRESH is definitely best. Coffee has a lifespan of about 30 minutes once made. I'm looking forward to trying RCI's coffee in a few weeks.

I've never heard that before- but I sure believe it!!

I've lived on the west coast all my life, but my college roommate was from Arkansas, and she drank the WEAKEST coffee I ever saw! It was awful!!!!

They serve Seattle's Best on RCL, and as a Seattle area coffee snob I can assure you it's drinkable! But I agree, anything after 30 minutes is suspect!!

Enjoy!!

maybe what appears to be "strong"...is just OLD! HAHA

me? i like my coffee to taste like coffee. anything less than a strong bean flavor is simply not going to "do it for me"

Me too. I like my coffee to have a life of it's own.

Archived