Rotterdam: South America / Antarctica Photos

RevNeal

I think HAL should give you a discount on your 2010 cruise since you will have convinced plenty of people to take this trip after seeing your photos. You've got me thinking about 2009 or 2010.
Actually, some of us did get a discount on this cruise. We used the same TA and got group rates. As per CC rules we didn't promote it here, but I 'think' we saved about $400-$500/pp on our double cabin - plus we got some on board perks. I hoping that since I'm not promoting a group cruise, but just mentioning that we were part of a group that has already sailed, that is OK with the CC.

It was quite nice sailing with people we knew, at a better price. PLUS we have Greg's photos of our trip. :D Another advantage was doing some private tours in Rio (pre-cruise) and in Buenos Aires. We didn't pay more than the HAL tours (probably much less) and we had GREAT tours with just 3-5 people. I know we (and Greg) are planning on using the same guide in Rio again in 2010. :D

Greg,

WOW!!!!!

These photos--especially the Antarctica ones--were absolutely breath-taking. Thanks you so much for sharing them.

This cruise is one I hope to take one day. Like Ruth, I love the cold and would love to see these amazing bergs!

THis must have been so special.

Thank you again.

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, it was a very special trip and I look forward to doing it again. You should think about joining us in 2010 for our return to South America and Antarctica! :D

Thanks for taking the time to post you wonderful pictures. The scenery was truly breathtaking.

I think HAL should give you a discount on your 2010 cruise since you will have convinced plenty of people to take this trip after seeing your photos. You've got me thinking about 2009 or 2010.

Thanks. :D

I appreciate that. Sadly, HAL doesn't give away much, and apart from group discounts I'm not likely to get much if anything for the gallery and the photos ... unless HAL decides they want to buy the rights to a photo or two. :)

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful presentation. This itinerary on the Rotterdam currently heads our Wish List and your photos have just reinforced that. Perhaps in 2009 or 2010...

:) Think about 2010! There's a group of us talking about doing this again in 2010 ... join us! :D

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, it was a very special trip and I look forward to doing it again. You should think about joining us in 2010 for our return to South America and Antarctica! :D

Greg, What are the dates? I'll be retired then and it just might work!

Greg, What are the dates? I'll be retired then and it just might work!

No dates yet ... but for it to be the South American / Antarctica cruise it would have to be either the first or second departure in 2010. I'd rather go from Rio to Santiago ... it was nice starting in Rio with pre-tours, plus having a day to tour from the ship.

HAL hasn't released the January 2010 schedule, yet ... so ... it just a matter of waiting until they do. The Amsterdam is doing the South American Itinerary in 2009 ... so ... who knows, maybe she'll be doing it in 2010. That would be good, since I've never been on the Amsterdam.

Think about it and keep your January 2010 dates open! :D

Greg,

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures. They brought back wonderful memories of our cruise, in 2005, on the Amsterdam. We did the reverse itinerary of yours, and left early in Jan. We had wonderful weather in Antarctica and rough seas around the Horn. Each cruise is so special! :) :) :)

For those who have asked about my camera ... I bought a new camera just before this cruise: An Olympus SP-560. It has an 18X wide-angle zoom (a 27-486MM equivalent) lens and a 7 megapixel CCD. I'm very pleased with it's performance, though I had to switch to manuel focus for most of the long-distance zooms in Antarctica.

I've given thought to stepping up to the full fledged SLRs, like the E-420, but for most of what I want the SP-560 is perfectly good. It is a good camera, and its long range zoom is amazing.

That is one thing I really should say about Antarctica ... to really get the full-impact one really must have a good pair of binoculars and/or long-range ultra-zoom capacity for one's camera. I didn't have a good pair of binoculars, but I did have my 18x zoom on my camera, and that enabled me to see close-up sights that were truly a long way away.

Again Rev, great pictures. I'm still hoping you'll be able to fiond out more about the helipad because that really has me wondering...

But as I was looking through the pictures I noticed there was nothing of the Pinnacle Grill or La Fontaine Dining Room. Any reason why, or just never had a chance?

But as I was looking through the pictures I noticed there was nothing of the Pinnacle Grill or La Fontaine Dining Room. Any reason why, or just never had a chance?

<sigh>

I guess I'm just going to have to go back to the Rotterdam so I can take photos. :)

Actually, I didn't bother. They were, both, essentially identical to what is found on the other R-class ships, and I've photographed both on the Volendam and Zaandam in the past.

With RuthC's gracious permission, I have added a burst-video I took of her in the Crows Nest, on the last formal evening. She was having a wonderful time "dancing" sitting down.

http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/rotterdam2008/iMovieTheater266.html

I have also added it to the Gallery Menu. If you go there, you just click on the picture of her in the listing at the bottom of the Gallery and it will open in a new window.

Ruth, thank you for letting me post this video. It's a lot of fun ... and so are you!

Greg--

What amazing photos - Thanks for posting them!

How nice of HAL to save a bear from the old Rotterdam (IV) for you...

;)

Oh, but you can't do South America again in 2010 - You need to come do the first leg of the World Cruise with Nana & Apa through the Panama Canal.

:D

I was intrigued by it, too. I hadn't seen it, before, on the bow of a HAL ship. However, it is the most logical place for it ... and, indeed, when they've had to evacuate patients from HAL ships in the past, this is where they've done it.

No announcements were made, and I don't think it was used on our cruise. As for it being "new" ... I don't know. RuthC would know if it's been on the Rotterdam all along.

Actually, for all the days I've spent on this Rotterdam (97) I haven't been on her since '04. I did spend a lot of time out on the bow during my '03 cruise, however, and the helipad marker wasn't there then.

I don't know when it was added.

And I concur---I don't believe it was used during this cruise, either.

Actually, for all the days I've spent on this Rotterdam (97) I haven't been on her since '04. I did spend a lot of time out on the bow during my '03 cruise, however, and the helipad marker wasn't there then.

I don't know when it was added.

And I concur---I don't believe it was used during this cruise, either.

Do you know if the bow of the ship has always been grey?

I know that the HAL ships don't have teak out there (I'm almost certain), but all other ships do have the same colors out there... I've never seen grey on the bow either, which just confised me more.

Rev-

I saw your reply but didn't want to multi-quote :) Totally understand about the R class Pinnacle, but would have liked to have seen the La FOntaine as there are some differences (primarily ceiling). No worries though. Just wasn't sure if there was a reason or not. I couldn't imagine that you did nothing but the Lido for 20 days :)

I have no idea. It's never come up before.

This Rotterdam came into service in October (it was late, so that could have gone into November) 1997. I first sailed her in Sept. 02, but never went out to the bow on that cruise.

I can't remember looking down from the Crow's Nest on that cruise. (You could still see the bow from there then.) I probably did, but just don't remember it.

I'm thinking that all the bow areas of the HAL ships I've been on have been gray. I can't think of what color they would have been otherwise.

Also, Karl reminded me when I was talking about our going to Antarctica again in 2010, that on board we were talking about 2011. Have things changed?

Greg--

What amazing photos - Thanks for posting them!

How nice of HAL to save a bear from the old Rotterdam (IV) for you...

;)

Oh, but you can't do South America again in 2010 - You need to come do the first leg of the World Cruise with Nana & Apa through the Panama Canal.

:D

Ah ... er ... probably not. I don't relish the thought of going on the first leg of the World Cruise without staying aboard for the whole thing. :) Sorry!

While it would obviously be the appropriate place to have it, I have NEVER seen a helipad marker on the bow of any HAL ships.

Was there any announcement given, or do you know why the Rotterdam has it there? Is it something that's always been on the Rotterdam, or something new to the fleet?

FYI, It's not a helipad marker. You'll find those on war ships and on passenger ships large enough to accomodate a landing helicopter. This marker on Rotterdam appears to be an aid for the pilot of any rescue helo involved in an arial evacuation from Rotterdam. In other words, it marks the spot on deck (in this case the bow) deemed best suitable to perform an aerial evacuation (such as a medevac) from. Usually a spot with enough clearance from obstacles such radar antennas, telecommunications domes, rigging, masts, etc. for the pilot to make a safe approach, accomplish the evac and get the heck out of Dodge

I could be wrong but I think it is fairly new - Don't remember seeing it on Rotterdam in SEP last year

Nice pics, Rev

I know that the HAL ships don't have teak out there (I'm almost certain), but all other ships do have the same colors out there... I've never seen grey on the bow either, which just confised me more.

Actually, the S-class ships DO have teak wood out on the bow.

Statendam:

hawaii83.jpg

Ryndam:

bow3.jpg

I saw your reply but didn't want to multi-quote :) Totally understand about the R class Pinnacle, but would have liked to have seen the La FOntaine as there are some differences (primarily ceiling). No worries though. Just wasn't sure if there was a reason or not. I couldn't imagine that you did nothing but the Lido for 20 days :)

I ate more in the Main Dining room than I did in the Lido, actually. Ate dinner in the Lido ONCE, had lots of breakfasts and lunches in the Main Dining room.

Also, Karl reminded me when I was talking about our going to Antarctica again in 2010, that on board we were talking about 2011. Have things changed?

2010 or 2011 was when we were talking about. All I know is that it CAN'T be 2009 because I'm already booked for Jan 2009. The EARLIEST is could be is Jan 2010. 2011 would be ok, too. It all depends upon what HAL's schedule for 2010 looks like and what else I want to do. Alternatively, I've though of doing the cruise to Tahiti, round trip out of San Diego, in 2010. :)

Archived