Jerusalem/Nazareth = A little dangerous?

kingsgirl

We really wanted to go to Egypt but have no interest at all in going to Israel so we booked the Egypt and Aegean cruise instead.

Rome - Naples - Athens - Ephesus - Istanbul - Mykonos - Egypt for two days - Rome. Sorry they're probably not in order, going by memory. We get the pyramids but not the rest of the middle east.

Please don't take this as me saying Jerusalem is dangerous, but I don't have an interest in going there right now. I'm sure Princess would never put their passengers in harms way.

We did a Land Tour of Israel and Egypt last May.

One week in Israel and two weeks in Egypt.

One week cruising on the Nile.

We opted for a Land Tour. in lieu of a Cruise. because we wanted to see more of the countries than what a Cruise Tour could offer.

Dangerous -- In our opinion - No.

We even went to Bethlehem. Took a Cab and really enjoyed our trip there.

We knew that we were going into Palestinian territory; however, we were treated very well.

Did we take a chance? Yes.

Our Israeli Guide advised against a trip to Bethlehem.

It is in the West Bank and Israelis are forbidden to go there.

Quite frankly, we felt safer in Israel/Egypt than some of the Caribbean ports-of-call.

As others have mentioned, Cruise Lines will not stop at a Port where they feel that their passengers will be in Harms Way.

We were on the Royal Princess Holy Land tour last November and did an overnight in Jerusalem. We found Israel fascinating -- really interesting -- but not militarily dangerous. We found it very, very dirty, filthy in fact, and quite a few of us got very, very sick as a result; so IMHO, illness is more of a danger than violence.

It looks like a crazy awesome cruise!! Anyone know what price range it falls into?

Similiar cruise on Pacific Princess Nov 4, 2008

Interior $3,055.00

Oceanview $3,155.00

Balcony $4,300.00

Suite $6,450.00

Fuel Supplement included in fares $60.00

Government Taxes and Fees: $44.10

Call Princess to find out what it will be for Nov 2009

Similiar cruise on Pacific Princess Nov 4, 2008

Interior $3,055.00

Oceanview $3,155.00

Balcony $4,300.00

Suite $6,450.00

Fuel Supplement included in fares $60.00

Government Taxes and Fees: $44.10

Call Princess to find out what it will be for Nov 2009

It's lower for 09 Before taxes, princess price, can be discounted.....

Inside $2,640

OV $2,790

Balcony $3,390

I have some info on this. My husband works for an Israeli company and for nearly 20 years has been traveling to Israel monthly. He feels that the risk is elevated more so than visiting other countries, but doesn't believe Israel is any more dangerous than it's ever been. His office is in Tel Aviv and he has never been to Jerusalem. He (and others) are picked up at the airport by a car and taken to a house/compound/office for work. They never leave the compound. All meals are catered. They do not venture out to restaurants, shops or anywhere. Of course this is quite different for the Israelis who work for the company. They live there and have learned to deal with things. I've never been to Israel myself-they don't allow spouses. However, I've have been allowed to travel with him to different places in Europe.

As an aside. He also travels frequently to Saudi Arabia (for his job also) and has to carry 3 passports. Saudi won't let him into the country with an Israeli stamp and Israel won't let him in with a Saudi stamp. He carries a third neutral passport. He has said he actually feels safer in Saudi than Israel although he hates travel to Saudi Arabia with a passion. We were at Orly in Paris trying to get back to the U.S. when he mistakenly handed over his Saudi stamped passport. Well, he got jacked up for 3 hours while they made us sit in separate rooms. They "interrogated" him about who his contacts were, why he went there so often etc. We missed our flight home and I've never had the desire to ever go back to France.

If you're really interested in a cruise to the Middle East; I say go for it. Things can happen anywhere. BTW, my husband has never gotten sick while in Israel as someone else posted they did.

A local travel agency recently took a fairly large group to that part of the world for a land trip. In one of his newsletters the owner said how safe he felt on the trip. He indicated that they asked him if he felt safe living near Omaha, NE (with the mall shootings a few months ago)?

Hi Folks,

The cruiselines in Israel generally use two ports of call...Ashdod which is just south of Tel Aviv is usually the port of call for Tel Aviv/Jaffa and shore excursions to Jerusalem, and the second being Haifa farther north near Acre which is a port of call for northern Israel points such as Tiberias, Afula and Nazareth.

Israel is no less safe than walking the streets of New York, Los Angeles or Chicago.

Ciao for now!!!

• 3 months later...

Well we just returned from the Holy Land iternary on the Pacific Princess this week. At no time did we feel concerned for our safety. In Egypt we convoyed in the tour buses and had our security guard onboard who was fully armed (including an UZI under his coat). He came in very handy for taking family pictures. :-) On the full day excursion to Jerusalem and Bethlehem, the only extra precaution taken was to give everyone onboard the bus a special contact card with instructions on what to do if you got separated from the tour group. Given the narrow winding streets of Jerusalem, it would be very easy for that to happen. When it was time for Bethlehem, our Jerusalem guide got off the bus, we drove into the West Bank, picked up our Palestinian tour guide, saw Bethlehem. As we approached Jerusalem again, the Palestinian tour guide said goodbye and once back off of the West Bank, we picked up our Jerusalem guide once again. On the Nazareth excursion, there was no special precautions taken. It was no different than an excursion in the Carribean.

Well we just returned from the Holy Land iternary on the Pacific Princess this week. At no time did we feel concerned for our safety. In Egypt we convoyed in the tour buses and had our security guard onboard who was fully armed (including an UZI under his coat). He came in very handy for taking family pictures. :-) On the full day excursion to Jerusalem and Bethlehem, the only extra precaution taken was to give everyone onboard the bus a special contact card with instructions on what to do if you got separated from the tour group. Given the narrow winding streets of Jerusalem, it would be very easy for that to happen. When it was time for Bethlehem, our Jerusalem guide got off the bus, we drove into the West Bank, picked up our Palestinian tour guide, saw Bethlehem. As we approached Jerusalem again, the Palestinian tour guide said goodbye and once back off of the West Bank, we picked up our Jerusalem guide once again. On the Nazareth excursion, there was no special precautions taken. It was no different than an excursion in the Carribean.

Thank you for posting. We will be on the Pacific Princess in Nov. and are looking forward to these ports.

We were on the Royal Princess Holy Land tour last November and did an overnight in Jerusalem. We found Israel fascinating -- really interesting -- but not militarily dangerous. We found it very, very dirty, filthy in fact, and quite a few of us got very, very sick as a result; so IMHO, illness is more of a danger than violence.

If you're really interested in a cruise to the Middle East; I say go for it. Things can happen anywhere. BTW, my husband has never gotten sick while in Israel as someone else posted they did.

We were with Pam on this cruise and the restaurant cleanliness did leave a lot to be desired. In her case the meal was a group buffet at a large hotel filled with various tour groups. The food would never be confused with haute cuisine, and in this particular case I'd describe it as awful.

We never felt unsafe while in Israel (or Egypt). If you avoid countries where there might be problems, you would never go anywhere. In fact we are going back to the Middle East later this year, but we're skipping Israel. It's not a cruise this time but a land-based tour of Egypt and Jordan. I've had my fill of Israel and really don't plan on going back anytime soon (if ever).

It's not a cruise this time but a land-based tour of Egypt and Jordan. I've had my fill of Israel and really don't plan on going back anytime soon (if ever).

Did you book with a specific company? we're looking for something that combines both Egypt and Jordan.

Tx

Did you book with a specific company? we're looking for something that combines both Egypt and Jordan.

Tx

We went to Israel, Egypt and Jordan in 2006 with Grand Circle. We had a wonderful time. GCT ded a great job.

In May we were on a HAL ROTTERDAM cruise to the Black Sea and Eastern Med with day stops in both Israel and Egypt. The most dangerous thing we saw in Israel was the chaotic pedestrian traffic along the alleyways of Jerusalem. Also visited Bethlemen in the East Bank. Only problem was that our Israeli bus guide could not go across the border, so an Arab guide replaced him for that part of the tour. In Egypt there were (armed?) security agents on each bus. No problems anywhere.

We went to Israel, Egypt and Jordan in 2006 with Grand Circle. We had a wonderful time. GCT ded a great job.

We came back from the GCT Egypt trip on June 1st. We opted not to do either pre-Israel or post-Jordan. GCT does a great job and Egypt is awesome. So is the Cairo Marriott where you stay for the first 5 nights.

Pia

We just returned from 10 days in Israel. We started in Tel Aviv then moved north for a couple of nights then back down to Jerusalem. Each of our hotels featured a spectacular breakfast buffet that was meticulously managed by the staff.

We were a small group, just 7 of us with our guide in a minivan so we got very "up close and personal" with a lot of areas. Lunch was often at a falafel stand and while we sometimes had dinner as a group, some nights we went off on our own. I sometimes had to remind myself that I was in Israel. When we were outside of the city, I often felt like I was in California. In the city, I kept thinking I was in New York City.

We moved seamlessly between Jewish and Arab areas, usually not knowing when we were leaving one and entering another. This is the way most Israelis live.

Israel sits at the very heart of our planet, spiritually and historically and Jerusalem is the heart of Israel. The layers of history there are awe-inspiring. There are fringe people who continue to do harm to others. The vast majority want to live their lives peacefully in this amazing place.

I was on the same ship as Pam in CA. If I was to do this cruise again I would NOT use the ship's excursions in Israel. They used a company named Patra in 2007 and it did not meet the usual Princess standard for a shore excursion. While Pam did the overnight in Jerusalem we did two day tours. Our tour to Jerusalem was very substandard which was disappointing because we do not have plans to return there. This was a problem with the guide. We spent over an hour at an armoured tank museum and were so late getting to Jerusalem that we could not park within one mile of the Garden of Gethsemane. We did get to stop at the Western Wall but he gave no discussion to the women - he just marched the men to that section of the wall and did all the talking there. Then we spent over an hour at a souvenir shop. It was dark when we saw the rest of the sites on our tour. I would recommend a private tour to Jerusalem. Our second day was much better because we had a better guide. We went to Nazareth and Galilee the second day. At no time did we feel unsafe in Israel or Egypt. In Egypt we did a private overnight tour to Cairo with Nile Blue Tours. They are excellent.

Been to Israel twice never felt unsafe quite the contrary

I cannot believe someone living in Tel Aviv never going to Jerusalem which is an amazing place .What a shame!!!to be so close and skip it...

I plan to do a similar cruise with my son next year .

I would worry more about going to other Arab countries ......because I am a woman traveling with my son ....

Food in Israel was always good where I went ...

Archived