Is three in a cabin ok or better to book 2 cabin$?

jpsirx

Hi All, we are first time cruisers (25th anniversary) and plan to bring our young adult son along. Is three in a typical cabin too tight a squeeze? Is there a better way to arrainge it? Any advice appreciated. Thanks and regards, john and tammy

Depends on the room, we've done inside, oceanview and promenade (no balconies)...sometimes with 2 we are tripping over ourselves.

We generally cruise with DD17 and my father, so we get adjoining and they share a room.

It definitely depends though. I'm sure you'll get more posts from others as well.

Congratulations on your anniversary!

I cruised NCL last april with my 2 teenage boys..........we were in an OV and I believe it was approx 160 sq ft. The only problem that I had was them throwing their clothes around. I was constantly picking up after them.....but if everyone does their part in putting things away.........you should be just fine......we tucked the suitcases under the beds and dirty clothes went in them as needed.

Having your adult son in a cabin by himself is likely to cost as much as your cabin for 2 people -- so, have him bring someone along and put 2 in each cabin (cost will increase just slightly).

The idea of a JS (junior suite) for 3 is a good idea too -- but, only 1 bathroom. Some people send the guys to the spa/gym to shower and get ready for dinner -- that might work for you!

Happy Anniversary -- and enjoy your 1st cruise!

Hi...first Happy Anniversary!

You didn't specify what ship or the age of your son, so I will go with a general answer.

3 in a cabin is doable. Expect it to be a little cramped and share bathroom time.

If you do book just one cabin a JS would be a good option since its larger witha bigger bathroom and the space can be divided for privacy (most ships)

As far as a second cabin, a single person will pay double occupancy and has to be the minimum age of 21 to book. If you do go with 2 cabins consider one balcony for yourself and one inside for you son. You'll appreciate the balcony and privacy.

Hope this helps...have fun planning! ;)

Hi All, we are first time cruisers (25th anniversary) and plan to bring our young adult son along. Is three in a typical cabin too tight a squeeze? Is there a better way to arrainge it? Any advice appreciated. Thanks and regards, john and tammy

We did it on our first cruise in an INSIDE with an young adult son AND HIS FRIEND!!!!!! (We wanted to keep the costs down for his friend ) We lived to tell the tale! It actually wasn't too bad, they were out of the room alot.

We had a balcony room on Voyager with 3 and it was fine. There is the extra space on the balcony and the room was really a pretty good size.

Going on sovereign in a few weeks and we have 2 adj o/v rooms for the 3 of us. Those rooms are so much smaller and the cost is so much less that it was very affordable to go with 2 rooms.

Rooms sizes vary and so do the costs related to sailing date, length of trip, and ship. Compare all those things but yes you can definitely have 3 in a cabin and be comfortable.

I find it not an enjoyable vacation with 3 of us in the room (daughter is 17), we took over 15 cruises with a room for 3, we now either invite my mother to share a room with her or on our upcoming vacation on the Vision, she invited a friend and she paid what she could.....I would not think you would want to have 3 on a special (25th) anniversary cruise....Splurge and get 2 rooms....even if they are inside.

We are bringing a friend of my sister's on two cruises and so the 3 of us are getting two cabins. In our case, her and her walker, too much for me and I need my own privacy.

You probably can answer best if you and your husband need a cabin to yourselves to celebrate your anniversary with some romance which having another adult, much less your son, would sure put the klonger down on.

Finally, the voice of reason... :-)

Thanks all for your considerate responses! Im thinking of scaling back from a balcony to two cabins. I'm actually trying to get on the Serenade 4/5/08. Thanks and regards, jp

My husband, daughter and I always book a D1 balcony cabin and never have a problem. Hubby always takes his shower first and than my daughter and I take turns with showers and bathroom...We have never had a problem and our daughter is 15 1/2....

My husband and I never worry about privacy either. Our daughter always runs right up to the Basketball court and pretty much lives there for the whole cruise. We always pick our itineraries by which ships have a basketball court. If it doesn't have one, we don't go.

We have had our family of 4 in a D1 twice and a JS once and it worked very well. My son was 21 and my daughter 18 on our last cruise and they don't care where they flop! We get along extremely well...if your family doesn't maybe two rooms would be better if you can afford the extra expense. Some people get a balcony and an interior...or ajoining balconies. On our upcoming 25th I'm happy to say we are cruising solo! At least I'm happy now...I may miss them on the cruise, truth be told!!:D

Depends on what is more important to you: privacy or money. We've done 3 to a room (inside) and have been perfectly fine. Nobody spends that much time in the room anyways. And when we need it, we just put out the "do not disturb" sign, and all is well. However, if your son can find someone to go with him to split the cost of the second room, that would be the way to go. The best of both worlds. It is not all that much more to book an inside room splitting the cost with two people than adding on the guests to your own stateroom. :D

Just my $0.02; go for 2 cabins! The way we look at a vacation or should I say Cruising- mostly how we vacation is that it is a special time to relax and unwind from the stress of life. If I had to be 4 in a D1 balcony it would not be relaxing or PRIVATE, 'to us'. We used to book last minute and pay a premium and we have gone for 2 adjoining inside cabins- that wasnt too bad; altho I seriously cant travel in an inside, sooooo many can!

Prices do vary as to time and length of sail so if you can swing it, go for 2 cabins....If you have your son bring a friend, make sure you know everything you need to know about the kid before you go (Ive heard some interesting stories in that regard!)

Our 25th is in June, parents 50th n May....we're sailing to Bermuda in June! Check our your ports local to us, NY and NJ, save the money on airfare and have 2 cabins......just another twist.

We did a girl's cruise and three of us in one cabin; third person price was $99 so we split total three ways and it made it very affordable for the three of us to get away without family for a nice change. We swapped out on the overhead each night, we were all rarely in the cabin at the same time, and it worked out great. As a lot of people are only in their cabins to shower, change clothes and sleep, it is very doable, and if this is your first cruise, it will be more cost effective, and if you decide to cruise again you have something to compare it to for next booking.

Hi...first Happy Anniversary!

You didn't specify what ship or the age of your son, so I will go with a general answer.

3 in a cabin is doable. Expect it to be a little cramped and share bathroom time.

If you do book just one cabin a JS would be a good option since its larger witha bigger bathroom and the space can be divided for privacy (most ships)

As far as a second cabin, a single person will pay double occupancy and has to be the minimum age of 21 to book. If you do go with 2 cabins consider one balcony for yourself and one inside for you son. You'll appreciate the balcony and privacy.

Hope this helps...have fun planning! ;)

The minimum age does not apply to minors travelling with Parents or Guardians, and if you take a friend of your son's, who is under 21, you would be his guardian for the duration of the cruise, as long as the cabins are adjoining. (we were told on our last cruise, that as long as you could see the other cabins door from you door, they were considered adjoining for this rule.

Our first cruise we were a family of 4 (2 dds and my dh and I). We all survived and had a great time, but decided last year we would scale down the room and go for 2, to gain the extra bathroom. (2 teenager daughters, plus me, made it interesting for getting ready for dinner.) We had originally booked 2 interiors, which was cheaper than 1 balcony room, but then ended up with a price drop that gave us slightly over $1000, and my husband and I upgraded to a balcony and kept the girls in an interior. Best decision ever! Our older daughter was able to bring a friend, so it was two 17 year olds, and our youngest daughter who turned 13 on the cruise, in an interior.

I highly recommend the two rooms, and if possible, have your son bring a friend. So much for them to do together, and they'll have a blast!

Archived