Room service tipping

Having just been to the bank (on the inside - which is rare for me), I noticed the teller had some of the new one dollar coins, so I bought five (they are a dollar each, including tax, for anyone that is interested). While walking out I wondered how someone would feel if tipped in coin (rather than paper)? Since I don't use room service I have no clue. Other tips have always been via voucher or I added cash, but the smallest bill I ever added was a five dollar bill, and I wouldn't add that much coin.

So, what do you think, would someone like getting the one dollar coin, or would they rather have paper?

They probably would appreciate paper because they know what the paper money is. The dollar coins might be mistaken as a quarter. I always get $50 in ones prior to my cruise for room service, etc... I usually tip $2 per person for room service. I even tried the $2 bills but I got strange looks at times.

Having just been to the bank (on the inside - which is rare for me), I noticed the teller had some of the new one dollar coins, so I bought five (they are a dollar each, including tax, for anyone that is interested). While walking out I wondered how someone would feel if tipped in coin (rather than paper)? Since I don't use room service I have no clue. Other tips have always been via voucher or I added cash, but the smallest bill I ever added was a five dollar bill, and I wouldn't add that much coin.

So, what do you think, would someone like getting the one dollar coin, or would they rather have paper?

The coin is heavy and bulky. Paper is light and compact.

Give 'em paper. (actually, as long as they are tipped, they are happy and won't protest, but if you have the paper, it's better. ;))

I have only used room service a few times and each time the wait staff turned around and left so quickly I couldn't even hand them the cash I had in my hand. They were in and out within 10 seconds.

It gave me the impression that they didn't normally get tips which seemed very odd to me.

I'm not admonishing not to tip but it has always made me wonder.

I have only used room service a few times and each time the wait staff turned around and left so quickly I couldn't even hand them the cash I had in my hand. They were in and out within 10 seconds.

It gave me the impression that they didn't normally get tips which seemed very odd to me.

I'm not admonishing not to tip but it has always made me wonder.

I ask them to wait a moment.:)

I suspect that you are correct that they aren't tipped much, but my recollection is that RCI does mention tipping for room service being at your discretion. Somewhere...:confused:

Unless you have your tip money ready, they will scurry out quickly--they've probably been instructed NOT to act like they're expecting something! But, save those coins for home, and give them bills--easier to spend!

Unless you have your tip money ready, they will scurry out quickly--they've probably been instructed NOT to act like they're expecting something! But, save those coins for home, and give them bills--easier to spend!

I definitely think thats the case. But, when I hear them knock I always have the ones out and ready!

NOW, for another question on tipping...

Do you tip waiters and room service in cash at the end of the cruise - even AFTER they charged your account the $10 p/p per day?

I know some people still tip more after this, but, we just dont budget to give an extra $50 out in tips. However if this is something that is strongly suggested than I would do it. I know that if service is really good its nice, but I feel like we pay so much for the cruise and a decent tip in the end that I do expect service to be good without the assumption that I will tip them extra.

One year we bought our Main waiter a bottle of Remy Martin (shameful...yes...but he DEFINITELY enjoyed it :eek: )

Anyways, any thoughts?

They probably would appreciate paper because they know what the paper money is. The dollar coins might be mistaken as a quarter. I always get $50 in ones prior to my cruise for room service, etc... I usually tip $2 per person for room service. I even tried the $2 bills but I got strange looks at times.

From what I understand sometimes it is harder for the crew to use the coins or $2 bills. They are not common currency and many places won't take them. I think it is best to stick to the regular paper money.
A number of people have mentioned the problem with the two dollar bills. I had been saving one, but I think I'll spend it here is the states or give it to one of my nephews.

Do you tip waiters and room service in cash at the end of the cruise - even AFTER they charged your account the $10 p/p per day?

I know some people still tip more after this, but, we just dont budget to give an extra $50 out in tips. However if this is something that is strongly suggested than I would do it. I know that if service is really good its nice, but I feel like we pay so much for the cruise and a decent tip in the end that I do expect service to be good without the assumption that I will tip them extra.

I prefer to have my tips charge to my on board account. However, for those that deserve more I do add a little extra cash. But this should be done for above average service. If you get average service, then you should tip the average/recommended amount. I would only give more to those that provide better than average service.

That said, it is up to you to decide what is average and what is better than average.

You were taxed for getting coins??? My expeirence they prefer paper...

We always tipped our room service $5.00 each time. We were unsure of how much to give, and didn't want them to think we were cheap. But that is the way we are when on vacation......we're very generous to whom-ever is taking care of us!:)

I definitely think thats the case. But, when I hear them knock I always have the ones out and ready!

We try to remember to put them out on the vanity the night before so we're not scurrying around after we get the "your breakfast is on the way" call.

The room service people don't participate in the tips, so they don't get any of the $9.75/day that goes on your Seapass. And I think the service is good, not because they expect anything, but because they're professionals. I will give extra for extraordinary service.

One year we bought our Main waiter a bottle of Remy Martin (shameful...yes...but he DEFINITELY enjoyed it :eek: )

Anyways, any thoughts?

What's shameful about that? Other than that you probably smuggled the bottle onboard.;) Given that his share of the tip is 75 cents/day, I'm sure a bottle of liquor was greatly appreciated.

Nini, meet *our* Zef. And it's April Fool's Day. :rolleyes: ;) :D

What's shameful about that? Other than that you probably smuggled the bottle onboard.;) Given that his share of the tip is 75 cents/day, I'm sure a bottle of liquor was greatly appreciated.

I guess it was the smuggling part :o . And I wasnt sure if it was tacky..lol. I mean, I myself wasnt too worried, like I said, he was so pleased!

So how much at the end of your cruise do you end up tipping waiters and room staff? I dont want to BE cheap either, but I just dont plan to bring much extra.

i truly do hope/believe service is good because they take their job seriously, but I did feel partially like on the last night they were hoping for something...maybe thats just me?!

We always use cash for the tips. I take cash with me already split up and in envelopes then put it in the safe during the trip. I have asked the staff before which they prefer. They always have answered cash. They get paid every other week so this will give them ready cash.

So how much at the end of your cruise do you end up tipping waiters and room staff? I dont want to BE cheap either, but I just dont plan to bring much extra.

If you have your tips to your Seapass account, it will be $9.75 per person per day. This covers your stateroom attendant, waiter, assistant waiter, and headwaiter. It does not cover room service whom you should tip (if you feel like it) when your food is delivered. If you don't want to add your tips to your Seapass account, then you should use this handy tip calculator http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com that was created by a fellow CCer (TPKeller) and will tell you exactly how much to tip each person and what denominations of bills you will need.

We always use cash for the tips. I take cash with me already split up and in envelopes then put it in the safe during the trip. I have asked the staff before which they prefer. They always have answered cash. They get paid every other week so this will give them ready cash.

This is what we do also.

We do the standard tip. I always take extra and will give extra if we choose. I'm old fashioned in that I like the personalization of tipping with cash. I'm the one who will do an Easter basket for the room attendant.

I thought something similar...must be an LA thing since here in Texas like you said that is not common. :D Last time I checked the bank gives em out $1 for $1...

As for tipping, I almost always have my tip in hand when I open the door since I've seen them turn to leave quickly and I want to be sure to give my tip to them. We did Breakfast on the balcony most mornings on the last cruise, it was actually quite nice.

I thought something similar...must be an LA thing since here in Texas like you said that is not common. :D Last time I checked the bank gives em out $1 for $1...

As for tipping, I almost always have my tip in hand when I open the door since I've seen them turn to leave quickly and I want to be sure to give my tip to them. We did Breakfast on the balcony most mornings on the last cruise, it was actually quite nice.

Please see wording highlighted in red below ...

The part about the tax was a joke. BTW, does anyone recall what today is??? :confused: Here is a hint ...

In 1957 the respected BBC news show Panorama announced that thanks to a very mild winter and the virtual elimination of the dreaded spaghetti weevil, Swiss farmers were enjoying a bumper spaghetti crop. It accompanied this announcement with footage of Swiss peasants pulling strands of spaghetti down from trees. Huge numbers of viewers were taken in. Many called the BBC wanting to know how they could grow their own spaghetti tree. To this the BBC diplomatically replied that they should "place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best."

Here is another hint ...

In 1996 the Taco Bell Corporation announced that it had bought the Liberty Bell and was renaming it the Taco Liberty Bell. Hundreds of outraged citizens called the National Historic Park in Philadelphia where the bell was housed to express their anger. Their nerves were only calmed when Taco Bell revealed, a few hours later, that it was all a practical joke. The best line of the day came when White House press secretary Mike McCurry was asked about the sale. Thinking on his feet, he responded that the Lincoln Memorial had also been sold. It would now be known as the Ford Lincoln Mercury Memorial.

Or how about this one ...

The April 1998 issue of the New Mexicans for Science and Reason newsletter contained an article claiming that the Alabama state legislature had voted to change the value of the mathematical constant pi from 3.14159 to the 'Biblical value' of 3.0. Before long the article had made its way onto the internet, and then it rapidly made its way around the world, forwarded by people in their email. It only became apparent how far the article had spread when the Alabama legislature began receiving hundreds of calls from people protesting the legislation. The original article, which was intended as a parody of legislative attempts to circumscribe the teaching of evolution, was written by a physicist named Mark Boslough.

And my favorite ...

In 1998 Burger King published a full page advertisement in USA Today announcing the introduction of a new item to their menu: a "Left-Handed Whopper" specially designed for the 32 million left-handed Americans. According to the advertisement, the new whopper included the same ingredients as the original Whopper (lettuce, tomato, hamburger patty, etc.), but all the condiments were rotated 180 degrees for the benefit of their left-handed customers. The following day Burger King issued a follow-up release revealing that although the Left-Handed Whopper was a hoax, thousands of customers had gone into restaurants to request the new sandwich. Simultaneously, according to the press release, "many others requested their own 'right handed' version."

I am a big tipper-I know what it is like to work in the service industry and make little money. If someone does something special for me and has a smile while doing it, I tip big. I enjoy my vacations and I want the people who make my life special to be rewarded. If I can find a way to make their life better, then I want to do it.

I was a pharmacist until I retired ten years ago. Each time we dispensed a National Health prescription the government paid us about $1.50. Nobody ever offered me a tip but I would have been happy with $2!

Actually, I tell a lie, the odd old lady would bring in a tin of biscuits at Christmas.

Archived