Speaking of bras. . .

leela14

Does anyone else have a problem with straps constantly slipping off the shoulders, and if so, has anyone found a solution? I don't really like the idea of the clippy thing in the back or a racer back bra for every day. It's not the fact that they show, it's just that they keep falling down, and even if I'm wearing sweaters and blouses, I'm constantly - like every 5 minutes - pushing the straps back up. And of course there is no support when the straps are off.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Please be aware though that I'm in Canada, and we don't have Victoria's Secret here. We do have La Senza (very similar) and that's where I buy all my bras, but each and every one slips off my shoulders, it's SUCH A PAIN.

I don't know if there is a solution, I've been looking for years.

On another note - all the racer back bras I've tried have very little cup coverage. I'm a C cup and maybe a little more, and the girls need support. I have a couple of racer back bras, but I keep popping out of them because they have such little coverage in front, what is up with that?

Ahhh, it feels good to get that off my chest - pardon the pun. :D

Does anyone else have a problem with straps constantly slipping off the shoulders, and if so, has anyone found a solution? I don't really like the idea of the clippy thing in the back or a racer back bra for every day. It's not the fact that they show, it's just that they keep falling down, and even if I'm wearing sweaters and blouses, I'm constantly - like every 5 minutes - pushing the straps back up. And of course there is no support when the straps are off.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Please be aware though that I'm in Canada, and we don't have Victoria's Secret here. We do have La Senza (very similar) and that's where I buy all my bras, but each and every one slips off my shoulders, it's SUCH A PAIN.

On another note - all the racer back bras I've tried have very little cup coverage. I'm a C cup and maybe a little more, and the girls need support. I have a couple of racer back bras, but I keep popping out of them because they have such little coverage in front, what is up with that?

I am a 38c.. you need to be professionally fitted for a bra. You are either wearing the size or the cup too big, most likely the size..ie.. If youre buying a 38c perhaps you are really a 36?

Get fitted.. cool?:D

I too am from Canada & I have the same strap problem. I use a product called "IT STAYS". It is a roll on body glue made by Sigvaris the compression stocking people. It is suppose to be used to hold thigh-hi,etc. compression stockings in place, but it works wonders on bra straps. I get it at Shoppers Home Health Care in the stocking section. It helps that I work there. It is about $12.99 a bottle & that lasts me about a year. It is water soluable. It rolls on like a roll on deodorant, is very gentle & washes of with water. Holds straps in place until you break the seal. I love it. :)

Totally agree-get professionally fitted. I could see if you were a tiny A cup and didn't have much holding the bra in place, but if you're a C cup then those straps should be able to stay where they are supposed to be.

Getting fitted was an embarrassing thought for me, but I went with a friend and I'm glad I did it.

For what it's worth, I don't like many of Victoria Secret's bras. I like some of the Very Sexy, Bio Fit, and Cotton, many of the others either push up too much and put the girls right in my face practically or they push up so much you get a uniboob. The others like Pink or Sexy Things are so obviously meant for teeny tiny girls, and those lines also seem more cheaply made-more for looks than for function or comfort. Right now I like Bali bras and get them on sale at Kohls.

On the racerbacks - I am a 34D, and have no problem with coverage from my racerbacks. But I will say that I tried on many many styles before finding the one that works for me.

I am extremely picky about bras, they HAVE to be supportive, and those thin tiny straps do not do it for me. If your straps are falling down like that, you aren't getting any support from the bra in the first place, and I have a feeling you are wearing the wrong size.

As the others suggested - go get fitted!!:)

For what it's worth, I don't like many of Victoria Secret's bras. I like some of the Very Sexy, Bio Fit, and Cotton, many of the others either push up too much and put the girls right in my face practically or they push up so much you get a uniboob. The others like Pink or Sexy Things are so obviously meant for teeny tiny girls, and those lines also seem more cheaply made-more for looks than for function or comfort.

I would agree about many of the VS bras. However the style that I wear is extremely supportive, and not at all a "push-up" type. I love the fit, and all the colors!!

Totally agree-get professionally fitted. I could see if you were a tiny A cup and didn't have much holding the bra in place, but if you're a C cup then those straps should be able to stay where they are supposed to be.

Getting fitted was an embarrassing thought for me, but I went with a friend and I'm glad I did it.

For what it's worth, I don't like many of Victoria Secret's bras. I like some of the Very Sexy, Bio Fit, and Cotton, many of the others either push up too much and put the girls right in my face practically or they push up so much you get a uniboob. The others like Pink or Sexy Things are so obviously meant for teeny tiny girls, and those lines also seem more cheaply made-more for looks than for function or comfort. Right now I like Bali bras and get them on sale at Kohls.

VS are cheaply made and not really for anyone over a B cup.. these are 'play bras' lOL;)

If your bra straps are slipping, it's usually from a too small band, not the cups. This is what I was told years ago by a bra fitter. She said the majority of women wear the wrong sized bra and it's apparent when you look at a womans back. Many times you see what would be considered "panty lines" if it were panties. The band should lay smooth with no bulges over or under.

Also, when you put on your bra, make sure you are "settling" it right and it's not riding too high. You may be forcing the straps to fall because the band is too high.

I've never bought a bra from Victorias Secret, they seem rather expensive. I wear Wacoal, my favorite is the Bodysuede, I've been wearing the same style for several years now, once in a while I even find it on sale :)

Do you have small or sloping shoulders? That could also contribute to the falling straps.

A bra with straps that are hooked onto the back band, as opposed to sewn to the back band would allow you to criss-cross the straps and they couldn't slip down.

Sears for one has bra fitters, and fit clinics as well. They are very discreet and professional and its such a relief to get a bra that actually fits.. I have also found that bra extenders that attach to the hooks and eyes of the bra are sometimes a solution as well.

Hi Leela:

I too am a full figure bust lady 38C and the problem with your bra is the band is not the right size. When the band is the right size and the hooks are hooked comfortably the straps will not slip. Do try to get fitted professionally or go to a store and take in some different sizes. I think if you get the right band size (which has to be firm but not too tight) then you will have happy sailing!!

Hi again,

Thanks for all the suggestions, and I think a fitting is probably the way to go. I had one once at La Senza, but it was really a joke, the 20 year old that did it really didn't have a clue, I think I need to get one at the Bay (similar to Macy's) when they have the professional ones every so often.

I think someone mentioned small/sloping shoulders and that is a problem too. I've worked out with weights most of my life, and my deltoid muscles are developed, so my shoulders aren't flat, they definetely slope, so that is part of the problem. I'm presently a size 6-8 and wearing a 34C and losing a few more pounds before our cruise in 6 weeks, so the fact I'm losing weight means my bras are probably all the wrong size now anyway. But I've had this falling strap problem my entire life. I like the option of that body-glue too, that might be another option.

I think my first plan of attack will be a professional fitting though. Thanks for all the ideas!

One last rant before I go. Someone mentioned all the push up bras and that just makes me nuts. The last time I went into La Senza, 95% of the bras were push-up. I asked the salesperson if they had bras for women who actually had boobs. My DH was with me and I was showing him all the padded/push up bras and he was saying what a huge dissapointment it must be when a girl takes the bra off. :D Don't get me wrong - I'd much rather see a woman wear a push up bra than get surgery, but for those of us that have breasts, we should also be able to buy pretty bras. All the ones out there that are pretty are sooooooooooo padded. I want a pretty bra too - without all the padding and high-tech push up features!

Hi again,

One last rant before I go. Someone mentioned all the push up bras and that just makes me nuts. The last time I went into La Senza, 95% of the bras were push-up. I asked the salesperson if they had bras for women who actually had boobs. My DH was with me and I was showing him all the padded/push up bras and he was saying what a huge dissapointment it must be when a girl takes the bra off. :D Don't get me wrong - I'd much rather see a woman wear a push up bra than get surgery, but for those of us that have breasts, we should also be able to buy pretty bras. All the ones out there that are pretty are sooooooooooo padded. I want a pretty bra too - without all the padding and high-tech push up features!

I have to agree with you on this! Of course, I can't even tolerate a bra with thicker cups, the T-shirt bras...way too hot for me. Or lace, too scratchy, even the softest and most expensive lacey bras are way too itchy for me. Put the lace on the outside of the cup, not on the edges next to the skin!

I've found what causes my bra strap to slip is the seatbelt in my car! (That's the ONLY time mine fall down!) The seatbelt rests right on my shoulder, and while I can adjust the height of the belt, it still touches right on my bra strap! Every time I get out of the car, the strap has to be pushed back up! Annoying!

Happy ks - I so agree. La Senza actually does one brand called "So Free" and it's the softest, most comfortable material ever and completely seamless (not the Itec, that's different). But they aren't the sexiest bras ever made (no lace, nothing sexy). DH hates beige bras with a passion, and I have 2 So Free beige ones - but honestly, under most clothes, beige and seamless is the only way to go.

But I see his face every time I have one on, so one day I decided to wear this sexy pretty lacy one I have. All night I was squirming, it was so itchy and rubbing and scatchy and I could not wait to get it off. I finally told him half way through the night that I hoped he was happy that I was suffering for him. :p Was never so happy to get a piece of clothing off in my life.

So, I guess the perfect bra would be: super-comfortable, soft as a baby's bum, seamless, minimal padding (I need some in Canada where it's freezing if you get my drift), supportive, yet sexy, fashionable and pretty. Bra companies - are you listening?

I too am from Canada & I have the same strap problem. I use a product called "IT STAYS". It is a roll on body glue made by Sigvaris the compression stocking people. It is suppose to be used to hold thigh-hi,etc. compression stockings in place, but it works wonders on bra straps. I get it at Shoppers Home Health Care in the stocking section. It helps that I work there. It is about $12.99 a bottle & that lasts me about a year. It is water soluable. It rolls on like a roll on deodorant, is very gentle & washes of with water. Holds straps in place until you break the seal. I love it. :)

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! I gotta get me some of that! I ride horseback every day, and I HATE it when I feel a strap flapping down my arm. I have a hard time finding racerback bras that fit me right, so this product sounds great! :) :) :)

Olga brand makes a type of bra called Smooth Back bra, the straps are almost in a 'V' formation in the back. Use this link and look at the back view. Doesn't look like those straps would fall off anyone.

http://www.barenecessities.com/product.asp?pf_id=Olga35061&source=gbase&term=Olga35061&cm_mmc=GLBS-_-Bra-_-Olga35061-_-NA

I have the same problem as you with the racerback bras. I cannot find one that I dont 'pop' out of. I love to wear tank tops iin the summer but have yet to find a racerback that fits. It's like the material covers half the breast and then 'cuts in' leaving what I can only describe as a 'double bubble'.

I just finished reading a blurb in Consumer Reports about bras titled "3 bras, 3 prices" and they tested the same type bra in three different brands and found that the Target brand bras were better fit and feel than the far more expensive Victoria's Secret or La Perla bras.

Funny isn't it?

I'm a 34B so most anything fits me, but I've found that this article was right. I think a pro fitting is a good idea, especially while losing weight.

And yes, even as a smaller girl I'm tired of all the push up bras. For wearing something fancy, I like them, but 95 percent of the time I'm in a tshirt or work clothes and it doesn't matter if I'm busting out all over anyway.

I always laugh when I look at my avator photo -- it looks like I've got tons of cleavage, which I do, but only because the dolphin swim guy shoved me into a kids size vest! I was definitely busty that day! :rolleyes:

LOL, Houndmom, I ride every day too, and if I'm wearing an older bra I"m dealing with falling bra straps, nothing more annoying than cantering along and adjusting your bra straps.

My newer bras don't do that so I have about 10 bras that I rotate wearing, so they stay newer longer, when the straps start slipping they go "bye-bye".

I"m a 34B and feel fortunate that that the boob fairy was slightly stingy with me. :D I love the lightly padded, underwire t-shirt bras with the wider straps, that I get at Target and Walmart, (seriously, quite comfortable and under $10).

I have a problem with having the "headlights" on high beam, (no padding, cold room, girls at "attention"), to me it's tacky, especially in work clothes, so the light padding keeps the "headlights" on low beam. :rolleyes: LOL!

VS are cheaply made and not really for anyone over a B cup.. these are 'play bras' lOL;)

That is an incorrect generalization. I am a 34D and the VS style I wear has better support and fits better than any other bra I've ever tried. I know of others that wear this style too...it is very very popular and has been a VS standard for many years. Just sayin'. :cool:

I think someone mentioned small/sloping shoulders and that is a problem too. I've worked out with weights most of my life, and my deltoid muscles are developed, so my shoulders aren't flat, they definetely slope, so that is part of the problem. !

I also have well-developed deltoids, but my shoulders are very broad, so that probably helps.

One last rant before I go. Someone mentioned all the push up bras and that just makes me nuts. The last time I went into La Senza, 95% of the bras were push-up. I asked the salesperson if they had bras for women who actually had boobs. ...All the ones out there that are pretty are sooooooooooo padded. I want a pretty bra too - without all the padding and high-tech push up features!

I SO agree. As someone that has a lingerie "fetish", I am thankful that I have a plentiful supply of great bras. I can't stand all those padded and push-up styles!!

Olga brand makes a type of bra called Smooth Back bra, the straps are almost in a 'V' formation in the back. Use this link and look at the back view. Doesn't look like those straps would fall off anyone.

http://www.barenecessities.com/product.asp?pf_id=Olga35061&source=gbase&term=Olga35061&cm_mmc=GLBS-_-Bra-_-Olga35061-_-NA

I have the same problem as you with the racerback bras. I cannot find one that I dont 'pop' out of. I love to wear tank tops iin the summer but have yet to find a racerback that fits. It's like the material covers half the breast and then 'cuts in' leaving what I can only describe as a 'double bubble'.

Oh my goodness, that looks like the PERFECT bra (for me

anyway)!!!!! I am ordering one in black and one in latte.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!:)

I will let you know what I think of them.

For those of you who have recommended being "professionally" fitted...YOU are right on!!! I too, was a frequent Victoria's Secret customer and they "fitted me in a 34DD...I thought YAY and plunked down a chunk of change on four (4) bras. However, I continued to have the straps falling down, the quadraboob effect, etc. On a suggestion, I went to Dillard's at our local mall. Guess what, I'm a 34H/36G (34DDDDD / 36DDDD). Snapped up three bras (some costing less than those I bought at VS) and WAYYYYYY BETTER!!!! I don't have the strap issue, I now only have the two boobs I was born with, that "grand canyon-style cleavage" has its natural valley!! My mom was the one who finally told me to get a "second opinion" on the sizing and another great piece of advise from her. Her logic was for anyone larger than a DD - VS can't really accommodate you so that's all they can suggest.

Try it; you'll feel a lot better and you'll look super in your clothes with a more appropriately fitting bra. I promise!

Sack:D

For those of you who have recommended being "professionally" fitted...YOU are right on!!! I too, was a frequent Victoria's Secret customer and they "fitted me in a 34DD...I thought YAY and plunked down a chunk of change on four (4) bras. However, I continued to have the straps falling down, the quadraboob effect, etc. On a suggestion, I went to Dillard's at our local mall. Guess what, I'm a 34H/36G (34DDDDD / 36DDDD). Snapped up three bras (some costing less than those I bought at VS) and WAYYYYYY BETTER!!!!

I completely agree. While my everyday bra does come from VS (I order them online) I would NEVER recommend anyone get fitted there. Those chicks know nothing about fitting a bra, and the sizing standards there...well, I don't think there are any. Many of their bras run very small.

I got fitted at Nordstroms a few years ago...and it was very educational! :)

Oh my goodness, that looks like the PERFECT bra (for me

anyway)!!!!! I am ordering one in black and one in latte.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!:)

I will let you know what I think of them.

You are very welcome. Can't wait to see what you think of them.

Archived