Speaking of bras. . .

leela14

Is it just me or have others noticed that bras are running smaller and skimpier. I have worn a 34C for years (and my older bras still fit) but with new bras, I now have to buy a 34D. It seems the old A is a B now, B is a C, etc. It appears that bras have been "resized" to appeal to size conscious consumers - marketers aim for the customer who will pay more for a desirable size ( the message seems to be that wearing a larger cup size is desirable to many and has a "sexier" connotation). This is likened to the move several years back to resize dresses so that women could wear a smaller size. (a 12 or 14 a genration ago is.an 8 or 10 now)

Second rant - Why are bras so skimpy? Most are labeled "demi" now - some of those barely cover the niplples. Even most of those that are supposed to be full coverage leave at least 1/3 of the breast exposed.

What happend to bras that fit?

Hi,:) check out www.barenecessities.com

They have many, many brands and styles. Full figured, full coverage

too:).

I am a DD cup so I know what you are feeling. For some

reason I always seem to see more single cups than what

I need too. And yes, I see alot of demi-bras.

But I have found Vanity Fair to be a good brand for me

and am hoping these 2 Olga fit:) (I just ordered them

this morning)!

Thanks for the website - I've bookmarked it under my shopping favorites.

I'd heard of them before - its good to hear from someone who had used them.

This is my first time buying from the site and will be my

first time trying that style, though I have tried Olga before.

Will be glad to let you know what I think after I get them

on;)

Hi everyone,

Just checked back in, thanks for keeping the replies coming. I love the look of that Olga bra - but it doesn't come in what I think my size is, which is 34C. And even if it did, with me being in Canada it would be such a pain to order it, then pay duties and taxes, and have to send it back if it didn't fit. I'm gonna wait until I can get a good fitting and see if they can recommend a bra that fits without the straps falling down. Maybe I'll take a picture of that Olga one in for reference, it looks perfect.

I dropped into La Senza again today and left as disappointed as ever. I saw some nice bras from Calvin Klein that looked promising at The Bay, but I'm not buying any until I get a fitting.

Interesting about the bra sizing. When I had that supposed fitting at La Senza, they kept trying to tell me I was a D cup or more, which I just dismissed and thought she was insane, but maybe if your theory is correct, I'm not wearing the right size from there - maybe La Senza has changed their cup sizing. I do get that spillage, which makes me think I may be in a small size, but when I look at myself, I am not what I would consider a D + for sure. If that is the way La Senza is doing their sizing, it's criminal. But I totally believe it could be possible - we all know the stores are doing it.

So according to the new clothes and bra sizing, I guess I'll be wearing a size 2 dress with a DD bra size - I DON'T THINK SO!! :p

I just checked, Sears sells 12 Olga bras, but most of them are full figured or not that pretty, the one posted from Bare Necessities with the awesome back closure wasn't there. :(

But, I did just check my bra size from 3 different websites (including Sears), and they all came out with the same result - 34C. I assume I should get the same result with a professional fitting.

I was surprised to read that cup size changes as the band width goes up. One of the websites said that a 38B would have a bigger cup than a 34B, that is certainly news to me.

For you ladys in Canada- don't you ever wonder what happened to "Canadian Standard Sizing". I remember when they decided that this would be the norm & everything sold in Canada would have to abide by that standard. What happened? That went out the door real fast. I also wonder why everytime I am fitted for a bra, I'm a different size. Depends on who did the fitting. I have been to some very reputable sizers & different every time. Therefor I am wearing bras that are comfortable with good support & resorting to the body glue to keep straps in place.

Is it just me or have others noticed that bras are running smaller and skimpier. I have worn a 34C for years (and my older bras still fit) but with new bras, I now have to buy a 34D. It seems the old A is a B now, B is a C, etc. It appears that bras have been "resized" to appeal to size conscious consumers - marketers aim for the customer who will pay more for a desirable size ( the message seems to be that wearing a larger cup size is desirable to many and has a "sexier" connotation). This is likened to the move several years back to resize dresses so that women could wear a smaller size. (a 12 or 14 a genration ago is.an 8 or 10 now)

Second rant - Why are bras so skimpy? Most are labeled "demi" now - some of those barely cover the niplples. Even most of those that are supposed to be full coverage leave at least 1/3 of the breast exposed.

What happend to bras that fit?

Nope, that's not happened to me at all. I'm the same size for years and I wear about 6 different brands. Though I usually wear European bra's since they fit me better than American brands.

Some brands simply don't fit me well, but it's never a matter of going up (or down) a size to make it fit. Some companies have a fit that just doesn't work for me.

Maybe your body has just changed over the years and you're now a larger cup size?

Demi cups are supposed to be very skimpy and barely cover the nipples. That's why they're called "demi" - meaning "half".

I was surprised to read that cup size changes as the band width goes up. One of the websites said that a 38B would have a bigger cup than a 34B, that is certainly news to me.

Definitely!

A 32B is the same cup size as a 34A.

A 34B is the same cup size as a 32C.

A 36B is the same cup size as a 34C.

An ex-boss of mine was a 32D and used to joke about being how big her "D's" were, though she really wasn't big at all since it was only a 32 band.

It really doesn't make sense to me why the sizing it like that, but it is.

But then, my italian bra's are simply size a "2". LOL! (but they fit well!)

Definitely!

A 32B is the same cup size as a 34A.

A 34B is the same cup size as a 32C.

A 36B is the same cup size as a 34C.

An ex-boss of mine was a 32D and used to joke about being how big her "D's" were, though she really wasn't big at all since it was only a 32 band.

It really doesn't make sense to me why the sizing it like that, but it is.

But then, my italian bra's are simply size a "2". LOL! (but they fit well!)

I too am a 32D-ish, but the sister size is 34C. The problem I have is that I can buy a 34C bra, but after wearing it a few times, it stretches and seems too big since I have to wear it on the most inside hook. However, when I wear a 32D (band size seems great b/c I can adjust the hooks in as the bra stretches with time), the cup seems a tad small. All of this is even assuming I can find a 32D bra (which is not easy I tell you).

I've been "professionally" fitted twice. Once at Frederick's of Hollywood saying I was a 32D, but they discontinued the bra that fit me perfectly...go figure. Then, I went to VS, they said I was a 34D (probably b/c they don't carry size 32D in most bras). I'm at my wits end b/c I can find a bra to fit perfectly when I buy it, but it never fits me after a few weeks/months. Grrrrr......

Demi cups are supposed to be very skimpy and barely cover the nipples. That's why they're called "demi" - meaning "half".

Exactly my point - Used to be only a few styes were demi. Now that's the majority of what is available. It's hard to find a full-coverage style. Even the ones labeled as such aren't.

Maybe the fact that stores near me carry mostly American brands is a big part of the problem.

After trying on at least 2 dozen bras this month - various brands, mostly smooth underwires, in 34C and 34D - none of which fit, I finally found a Wacoal style that fits beautifully:) .

Hi girls,:) not sure who was asking about the Olga bras

from Bare Necessities but I got the 2 I ordered today.

The back is good, the front is not:(

The cups are not good for me. The bras are beautiful

but they are not full coverage.

They are not a demi bra but they are not what I am looking

for either:rolleyes:.

They sort of cut me in 1/2 at the wrong place:eek:...if the

cups were a bit fuller coverage I would keep them.

But they are going back tomorrow.

Que sera, sera.

I worked at Lane Bryant (a plus size womans' clothing store) and used to fit women for bras everyday. Almost every single person that I fit was wearing the wrong bra size. I think the stats are that over 90% of women wear the wrong size. There are many reasons for this- (weight gain, children, body changes, menopause etc).

Many women don't realize that there are certain things you should do when putting on/picking out a bra.

1st) Get the right fit. Take a cloth measuring tape and take your 2 measurements. WITH your bra on--One under the bra around your ribcage just under the breasts, and the other around the boobs at the fullest part of the breasts.

With the first measurement, add two inches. With the second measurement, subtract that number from the first number.

For example- My 1st number was 36, so I would add two numbers to make it 38. THIS IS YOUR BAND SIZE.

My 2nd number was 45. I would subract 45-38 to get 7". So that's a 38F.

If yours is:

2 inches = B cup

null.gif

3 inches = C cup

null.gif

4 inches = D cup

null.gif

5 inches = DD cup

2nd) When trying on your new bra, put it on the middle hook, make sure the straps are adjusted for your comfort. Bend over (with your bra on) and place each hand on the inside of your bra making a "sweeping" motion and place the girls inside the cup. Repeat for both sides.

Wallah! You have just fitted yourself with a great bra. If you need help-go to: http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/pagebuilder/cacique_perfectFit#measure

Remember ladies----NEVER dry your bras in the dryer!! Always put in a lingerie bag for washing and then hang dry. It saves your money and time on replacing your bras.

Ps-Bras should be replaced every year!:eek:

One of my good friends works at Nordstrom and does bra fittings. Here is the basic formula for figuring out what size you are although she still reccomends a professtional fitting.

First measure around the top of your ribcage where you bra band would sit. That is your band size. Then measure around the fullest part of your breast. For every inch of difference, that is your cup size.

1 in= A

2 in = B

3 in = C

4 in = D

5 in = DD etc, etc

She says most women wear too big a band size and too small a cup size. That is why when a woman says she is a 38C, she is very large through the middle but not so big in her busts.

I worked at Lane Bryant (a plus size womans' clothing store) and used to fit women for bras everyday. Almost every single person that I fit was wearing the wrong bra size. I think the stats are that over 90% of women wear the wrong size. There are many reasons for this- (weight gain, children, body changes, menopause etc).

Many women don't realize that there are certain things you should do when putting on/picking out a bra.

1st) Get the right fit. Take a cloth measuring tape and take your 2 measurements. WITH your bra on--One under the bra around your ribcage just under the breasts, and the other around the boobs at the fullest part of the breasts.

With the first measurement, add two inches. With the second measurement, subtract that number from the first number.

For example- My 1st number was 36, so I would add two numbers to make it 38. THIS IS YOUR BAND SIZE.

My 2nd number was 45. I would subract 45-38 to get 7". So that's a 38F.

If yours is:

2 inches = B cup

null.gif

3 inches = C cup

null.gif

4 inches = D cup

null.gif

5 inches = DD cup

2nd) When trying on your new bra, put it on the middle hook, make sure the straps are adjusted for your comfort. Bend over (with your bra on) and place each hand on the inside of your bra making a "sweeping" motion and place the girls inside the cup. Repeat for both sides.

Wallah! You have just fitted yourself with a great bra. If you need help-go to: http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/pagebuilder/cacique_perfectFit#measure

Remember ladies----NEVER dry your bras in the dryer!! Always put in a lingerie bag for washing and then hang dry. It saves your money and time on replacing your bras.

Ps-Bras should be replaced every year!:eek:

Forgive me for not quite getting this, but what size is a 37" band(37 + 2 =39) & a 45" chest,difference 6". Not any of the sizes that I have been given! This is perhaps my problem with all of the wrong sizes that I have been told to get by different fitters. Then again most of the bras that have been in the stores that I have gone to only go up to a DD cup & the sales people just tell me that that is what I need because they don't stock anything different.

Forgive me for not quite getting this, but what size is a 37" band(37 + 2 =39) & a 45" chest,difference 6". Not any of the sizes that I have been given! This is perhaps my problem with all of the wrong sizes that I have been told to get by different fitters. Then again most of the bras that have been in the stores that I have gone to only go up to a DD cup & the sales people just tell me that that is what I need because they don't stock anything different.

I would say you were a 36 DDD. My friend at Nordstorm does not add 2 inches to get your band size. Your size is your size. She says to go down a band size if you are an odd number. It will stretch over time so that way you can still use the smaller hooks.

Wanasail--good question! It doesn't mention it on lane bryant.com, but if you are an ODD number size like 37 inches, then add only 1 inch so your size would be 38F. Since I am that size, I can wear a 38DDD. If you can't find those sizes, then a 40DD would work too..Only problem would be your band size.

If you were going to go with a 36, to be safe, get a 36f or 36DDD. Anything else wouldn't be big enough! Good luck!!!:) And don't be afraid to go in and get a second opinion on anything with bra sizing. Women that would get sized at Victoria's secret would complain because they weren't sized right there, or treated worth a darn. So I resized and helped them. Maybe there is something diff w/ plus size bra sizing and reg size bra sizes?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I was fitted today and have been wearing the wrong size

for a very long time:eek: :rolleyes:

I got 4 new bras today, 3 were on sale:D

and all feel really good....oh well, better late than never.....

I got fitted last Saturday at Nordstrom. I ended up with four bras - but, none were on sale. In fact, the average price per bra was around $80. Not an inexpensive experience - but, very much worth it.

I got fitted last Saturday at Nordstrom. I ended up with four bras - but, none were on sale. In fact, the average price per bra was around $80. Not an inexpensive experience - but, very much worth it.

I was in Dillards. What brand did you buy?

I purchased one Wacoal (which I have worn before) and it was

on the sale rack! 62.00 reduced to 33.00:D

And the other 3 are Dillards's brand called Cabernet (yes the

same name as the wine;) ). 2 were the same style in different

colors and one is a different style.

I probably tried on 10 or more and found these 4 worked

best for me.:)

Oh, I was very happy with the gal who helped me. Her name

is Amy and she gave me her card as well!

Me too!

I was wearing a 34 C for a very long time and my bras just never did fit right. I blamed it on the quality of the bra.

Well, I finally went in and got measured and the girl told me I'm a 32D!!! I was astounded. I bought a Wacoal bra in 32D and the fit was amazing. So I went back and bought another Wacoal bra. There is only one problem. 32D isn't that easy to find. :( I can only find them at Dillard's or sometimes at Victoria's Secret.

I was in Dillards. What brand did you buy?

I purchased one Wacoal (which I have worn before) and it was

on the sale rack! 62.00 reduced to 33.00:D

And the other 3 are Dillards's brand called Cabernet (yes the

same name as the wine;) ). 2 were the same style in different

colors and one is a different style.

I probably tried on 10 or more and found these 4 worked

best for me.:)

Oh, I was very happy with the gal who helped me. Her name

is Amy and she gave me her card as well!

Lois - I swear - you and I are definately going to end up on a cruise together someday. :) I too got a Wacoal (which is a brand I've worn before and I always love their bras). It was the least expensive at $62 (not on sale).

The others are Chantelle, Fantasie, and Le Mystere. I've also ordered another Le Mystere. I rechecked and I think my average cost was a bit lower - about $75.

I must have tried on around 10 also. There were a couple of others that I liked but I was trying to not go too crazy. I had her keep a list of not only what I bought but the others that I lked too. Bascially, I bought a wardrobe of bras - a couple were t-shirt bras, one a low cut, one a kinda "workhorse" bra, etc.

I asked her for two cards. I gave the extra card to a co-worker.

--I sometimes go to Dillards online - but, I've never thought to check their intimates section.

Cruzfan - Nordtrom and Macy's sell Wacoals too. I'm not sure about Macy's, but Nordies has a terrific selection of sizes.

Tess, do you have Steinmart? They carry Wacoal as well.

And Dillards has Mystere and Chantelle too......the gal who helped

me is full figured and she likes both of those brands.

She was really nice and didn't try to "sell, sell, sell" and only

helped when I needed it.:)

Dillards has a very good selection of intimates.

I still need a couple of more black ones but was too

tired to keep looking.

Maybe tomorrow after work.....

Lois - I'm in the Pacific NW so Nordies is our "main" store. Plus, we have Macy's. Those are the two biggies. We used to have more - but, mergers/closures, etc, now we have far less.

I have a college football trip planned in September for the East Coast - I think I'll consider adding another day and dedicate it to shopping.

I used to live in the DC area and the shopping was oh so much better.

Tess, do you have Steinmart? They carry Wacoal as well.

And Dillards has Mystere and Chantelle too......the gal who helped

me is full figured and she likes both of those brands.

She was really nice and didn't try to "sell, sell, sell" and only

helped when I needed it.:)

Dillards has a very good selection of intimates.

I still need a couple of more black ones but was too

tired to keep looking.

Maybe tomorrow after work.....

Archived