Speaking of bras. . .

leela14

For those of you who have recommended being "professionally" fitted...YOU are right on!!! I too, was a frequent Victoria's Secret customer and they "fitted me in a 34DD...I thought YAY and plunked down a chunk of change on four (4) bras. However, I continued to have the straps falling down, the quadraboob effect, etc. On a suggestion, I went to Dillard's at our local mall. Guess what, I'm a 34H/36G (34DDDDD / 36DDDD). Snapped up three bras (some costing less than those I bought at VS) and WAYYYYYY BETTER!!!! I don't have the strap issue, I now only have the two boobs I was born with, that "grand canyon-style cleavage" has its natural valley!! My mom was the one who finally told me to get a "second opinion" on the sizing and another great piece of advise from her. Her logic was for anyone larger than a DD - VS can't really accommodate you so that's all they can suggest.

Try it; you'll feel a lot better and you'll look super in your clothes with a more appropriately fitting bra. I promise!

Sack:D

I am had the exact same problem as you! Went to Victoria's Secret so many times...and got fitted by them. Was told I am a 34D. WRONG! There bras fit me so badley. The cup was too small so I fell out, the band was too big, so it never set against my chest. Horrible and uncomfortable everyday. I spent a ton of money there also.

Got fitted somewhere else, and found that I really wear a 30F!! :eek: It is amazing what the right sized bra will do for you. I feel sooooooo much better about myself, and now I don't hate having boobs! I will never go back to VS, except to purchase panties. That is the only thing worth buying there for me.

I am all for getting professionally fitted and a Department store is a good place for that.

I am soooo confused. There are so many conflicting 'calculations.'

Measurements are: rib cage =29" bust = 34"...

The Playtex website computes your size for you and says that's a "34 Nearly A". According to other directions, that's a 30D.

Quite a discrepancy...

I am soooo confused. There are so many conflicting 'calculations.'

Measurements are: rib cage =29" bust = 34"...

The Playtex website computes your size for you and says that's a "34 Nearly A". According to other directions, that's a 30D.

Quite a discrepancy...

Then if I were you, and you aren't sure. Just go pick out both sizes at a store and see which one fits best! I calculated a 30 D too..but you would know your size better than anyone so just go try on some different bras.

Hi,

I've been reading with interest the problems you all seem to be having getting pretty bras in big cup sizes.

In the UK there are a couple of websites where I buy practically all my bras and swimsuits. I'm a 34FF/G depending on the make.

I've checked their sites to see if they deliver to the US and Canada and they do...

www.figleaves.com

www.bravissimo.com

www.brastop.co.uk

Regards

Karen

Hi,

I've been reading with interest the problems you all seem to be having getting pretty bras in big cup sizes.

In the UK there are a couple of websites where I buy practically all my bras and swimsuits. I'm a 34FF/G depending on the make.

I've checked their sites to see if they deliver to the US and Canada and they do...

www.figleaves.com

www.bravissimo.com

www.brastop.co.uk

Regards

Karen

LOL - you've beaten me to it.. I've got from an uncomfortable strap slipping, backaching 34DD to a 30G and there's no going back. :D

Re: Bra straps slipping, its normally because the band size is too big - the straps are normally in place when you put the bra on, but as the back band slips up your back, the straps get looser and looser until they fall off. You then make things worse by tightening up the straps and then you lose what little support your band had.

The general wisdom seems to be that if your uncomfortable in your bra - go down a band size and up a few cup sizes and start from there..

See here for more help. :D

http://www.bravissimo.com/info/Troubleshooter.aspx

I just finished reading a blurb in Consumer Reports about bras titled "3 bras, 3 prices" and they tested the same type bra in three different brands and found that the Target brand bras were better fit and feel than the far more expensive Victoria's Secret or La Perla bras.

Funny isn't it?

I'm a 34B so most anything fits me, but I've found that this article was right. I think a pro fitting is a good idea, especially while losing weight.

And yes, even as a smaller girl I'm tired of all the push up bras. For wearing something fancy, I like them, but 95 percent of the time I'm in a tshirt or work clothes and it doesn't matter if I'm busting out all over anyway.

I always laugh when I look at my avator photo -- it looks like I've got tons of cleavage, which I do, but only because the dolphin swim guy shoved me into a kids size vest! I was definitely busty that day! :rolleyes:

You do have to keep in mind that articles like this are the opinion of one person, sometimes a small group of people. I've purchased cheap bras from Target and I got....a cheap bra.

I'm not at all surprised to read that many women have been wearing the wrong sized bra. Every single day I see women with the outline of their bra showing, their skin puffing out around a too small band and too tight straps to keep them up. So many women are concerned about panty lines, what about bra lines ;) :)

I'm not at all surprised to read that many women have been wearing the wrong sized bra. Every single day I see women with the outline of their bra showing, their skin puffing out around a too small band and too tight straps to keep them up. So many women are concerned about panty lines, what about bra lines ;) :)

Too True - and what about too small sized cups? The gals that have "their gals" spilling over so they end up with four instead of two. I think that's more strange because maybe she didn't check her backside in the mirror - but, surely she would notice her frontside after getting dressed.:)

Too True - and what about too small sized cups? The gals that have "their gals" spilling over so they end up with four instead of two. I think that's more strange because maybe she didn't check her backside in the mirror - but, surely she would notice her frontside after getting dressed.:)

Thanks for making me smile:)

I had the same problem and you would have thought I would

have checked myself:eek: sometimes you would think I have no

brains at all:rolleyes:

When I was fitted last weeked I went up a full cup size.

And I have worn the new bras this week and I must say they

definitely feel better:D

I have never found a bra that was actually comfy...only "tolerable." I got some at Penneys from their Ambrielle line that are... get this... comfy!

Yay!

Hi,:) I saw them when I was looking for new ones but none were

in my size and most were padded (which I don't need) LOL

Seems they only go up to a DD.

Glad they work for you though:)

Hi,:) I saw them when I was looking for new ones but none were

in my size and most were padded (which I don't need) LOL

Seems they only go up to a DD.

Glad they work for you though:)

I'm an A- nearly-B, so the padding doesn't bother me! :p

Several of the bra-fitting guideline websites stress that the measurement system is just a starting point for finding your proper size. There is no substitute for trying on various sizes in different styles and brands and then looking for the hallmarks of good fit (such as a back that does not ride up, cups that fit without spillage, etc)

As with other clothing, don't worry about the size on the tag - get what fits you.

And try on clothes over the bra before you buy it - some bras that look good on just don't do the job under clothes - particularly true with "sexy" bras (of course if it's not going to be worn under clothes, this step is unnecessary:D ).

• 2 months later...

I did a search and there are about 1/2 dozen "Bra threads";)

so I decided to post on this one.

I went to Kohl's today to look for a new carry-on but didn't see

anything that said "Buy Me" LOL .....

But of course when inside Kohl's I always have to look around:)

and went into the undergarment section. Found 3 Bali and 2

Vanity Fair bras and got 15% off the total by using my

Kohl's Charge:D

Got beige, white and black, I tried them all on

and both brands fit me really well!:D

And the other wonderful part is.....all 5 came to less than 90 bucks

total:)

I have a problem with bra straps falling down my arms also - but I have the same problem with shoulder bags and even spaghetti straps on dresses or tank tops. My shoulders slope downward so anything on the shoulder ends up sliding down. I have to wear shoulder bags across my body in order to keep them on otherwise I end up with the bag strap on my elbow.

I have a problem with bra straps falling down my arms also - but I have the same problem with shoulder bags and even spaghetti straps on dresses or tank tops. My shoulders slope downward so anything on the shoulder ends up sliding down.

Have you tried racing back bras? I'm guessing those straps would be far less likely to slip off your shoulder.

Have you tried racing back bras? I'm guessing those straps would be far less likely to slip off your shoulder.

Hi,:) those are 2 that I bought..but they are even better than

the racerbacks I used to buy:D Really fit well and not only are

they less likely to slip...they cannot slip...truely...I LOVE THEM:D

These are VANITY FAIR and I will try and find them on the

net and post a photo~ I have the tags at home and will be glad

to post the item number this evening.

Don't you love when a bra can make you HAPPY?!:D

Karen, I got them in beige and white and if they made other colors

I would have bought them too.

There are a few instances where I am greatful for my sloping shoulders. I actually have a couple of tops where I appreciate the bra starps falling off my shoulders. The tops with boatnecks always seem to fall to one side or the other and with the bra straps on my shoulder, you never see a strap.

Lois--you can wear a bra with that much...coverage in Florida? Having that much fabric next to my skin all the time would about kill me! It does look like a very comfortable style though, and it looks like the back is made from a stretch lace?

I don't like boatneck tops because if the bra strap slides off my shoulder, so as not to show in the neckline of the top, it means my boobs are "sliding" somewhere closer to my waistline, and that's just not a good look:p

I've bought my last few bras at Kohls as well--sadly, it seems the lingerie dept at the Kohls closest to me is always a mess!! I've been stuck in a rut with a specific Bali bra lately, so I don't even search for new styles--just look for my size in the style I want, and see if any new colors are available. They never are:rolleyes:

Hi,:) looks like a lot of material but its not "thick" and for a front

closure it has a lot of support.:)

When you say alot of coverage? I guess we all have our

own likes and dislikes about that;) This covers me, feels great

on and is not scratchy or anything....and its pretty too!

Lois--obv. we all have our favorites and pet peeves when it comes to something so intimate as a bra:p (ha! I mis-typed that as "bar"--yes, we have preferences there too:D ) By coverage, I just meant the amount of fabric in the back--reminds me of some of the sports bras I own--I love them for their support but they get hot and constricting if I wear for too long. Of course, a sports bra is a little different from a regular bra in that it's supposed to be constricting, so my analogy isn't very good:o

I have a black racer back front closure bra where the back straps crossover each other--I'm not sure if there's a reason or if the designer just though it was cool--but I like it!

Lois--obv. we all have our favorites and pet peeves when it comes to something so intimate as a bra:p (ha! I mis-typed that as "bar"--yes, we have preferences there too:D ) By coverage, I just meant the amount of fabric in the back--reminds me of some of the sports bras I own--I love them for their support but they get hot and constricting if I wear for too long. Of course, a sports bra is a little different from a regular bra in that it's supposed to be constricting, so my analogy isn't very good:o

I have a black racer back front closure bra where the back straps crossover each other--I'm not sure if there's a reason or if the designer just though it was cool--but I like it!

Gotcha;) I wasn't sure if I was going to like this but

I do:D and I know what you mean about the cross straps

in the back. What brand is that one?

Archived