Whats the Latest on Alcohol Smuggling

We live in the Fingerlakes Region of Central New York. This area is home to many small wineries. Two years ago (Voyager OTS), I brought a bottle of wine from a local winery to give as a prize at our Meet & Mingle. Sounds like I won't be able to do that on my next cruise. I should add: I once walked to a grocery store in St Thomas to purchase water and canned soda (had a soda card - just like having it right in the room). The prices at the grocery were no better than the ship, and I would also agree with previous posters that the drinks on board are very potent. To me, the whole idea of RCCL restricting carry-on booze isn't because they'd lose money, but rather to prevent future incidents of underage drinking & binging that leads to nuts falling/jumping overboard.

We just got off Mariner yesterday. Security was very tight during embarkation, extra security including dogs sniffing carry-on luggage. We do not smuggle anything onboard but we met a couple in the CL that had their mouthwash removed because it contained alcohol. Our luggage came to our room with bright green stickers on it saying "inspected".

Because it is still considered Spring Break; buckets of beer were not sold at the bars during our 7 day cruise.

Just an Example

Twelve pack of beer in your suitcase: $15.00

Bucket of 6 beers through the cruiseline: $31.05 ($4.50/beer x 6 + 15% gratuity.)

That means twelve beers would cost you $62.10.

$62.10-$15.00=$47.10 that's one hell of a mark up (400+%)!!! Viva la Smugglers!!!

Come join us!:)

CRUISE BOOZE SMUGGLERS of AMERICA

Founder, head bartender, new drink tester: CaribeDiver

CEO: bambidrummer

President: KLFHNGR

Vice-President: bigal115

Secretary: shelbylook

Treasurer: Daycare Provider (No Sippy Cups Allowed:D )

Research & Product Development: wolfcathorse

Legal Council: doublegator

Legal Co-Council: RetireeWannbee

Skallywag: PSCruiser

Lazy Drunkard: hoogie

Scoundrel:

Swab:

Scoundrel:

Swab:

Scoundrel:

Swab:

Scoundrel:

Swab:

Scoundrel:

Swab (Keg tapper): marklynpa

Tequila Wench: libertybelle41

Head Beer Wench: karena1

Asst. Head Beer Wench: Sillyjilly

Beer Wench: Tralynn222

Beer Wench: lablvr2

Beer Wench: susibell2 (Welcome!)

Beer Wench:

Beer Wench:

Beer Wench:

Rum Wench: #1packerfan

Whiskey & other hard liquors Wench: wolfcathorse

Wine Wench: noahsmom

Wine Wench: NYNY10022

Wine Wench: Katink

Wine Wench:

Wine Wench:

Wine Wench:

Wine Wench:

FooFoo Martini Maven: perischacknow

Rum cake baker and other alcohol absorbing goodies: Becciboo

Our next meeting is...I forgot!:p

Please be welcomed to join our group. We are equal opportunity smugglers!:p

We're baaaaaaack!:eek:

A porter passing by jokingly said if I'd checked my bags with him the booze would have made it! I should have remembered his name :D !

I have heard similar. That if you tip the porter a $20 or so your bags will go in a VIP cart that just gets TSA checked and skips the rest. Sounds to me a lot like the infamous $20 hotel upgrade "trick" in Las Vegas but who knows? Worth a shot maybe.

We've decided to not try to smuggle any booze (too heavy) but I am very curious to check how closely they check. So I took an old 750ml "traveler" plastic bourbon bottle and mixed up some pancake syrup & hot water until it "looked right". Very convincing. I might toss an empty bottle with just the syrup (very light) in the suitcase, mix it with water in the hotel and see if it gets confiscated at the pier. If it does should I claim it at cruise end? Or let someone get a big surprise if they try to drink it? :D

[quote name=

We've decided to not try to smuggle any booze (too heavy) but I am very curious to check how closely they check. So I took an old 750ml "traveler" plastic bourbon bottle and mixed up some pancake syrup & hot water until it "looked right". Very convincing. I might toss an empty bottle with just the syrup (very light) in the suitcase' date=' mix it with water in the hotel and see if it gets confiscated at the pier. If it does should I claim it at cruise end? Or let someone get a big surprise if they try to drink it? :D[/quote]

Why claim it? I'd let someone be surprised.

I have heard similar. That if you tip the porter a $20 or so your bags will go in a VIP cart that just gets TSA checked and skips the rest. Sounds to me a lot like the infamous $20 hotel upgrade "trick" in Las Vegas but who knows? Worth a shot maybe.

We've decided to not try to smuggle any booze (too heavy) but I am very curious to check how closely they check. So I took an old 750ml "traveler" plastic bourbon bottle and mixed up some pancake syrup & hot water until it "looked right". Very convincing. I might toss an empty bottle with just the syrup (very light) in the suitcase, mix it with water in the hotel and see if it gets confiscated at the pier. If it does should I claim it at cruise end? Or let someone get a big surprise if they try to drink it? :D

Go for the surprise. Too bad you can't see the look on their face when they try to make a drink with it...

Dec 2005 smuggled 6 pack of Stella Artois for DH and 4 pack wine coolers for me;) just to have while getting ready for dinner -- no problem

this time still debating - probably getting the wine and dine deal :o but my hubby can't understand why they don't have a beer card like they do the soda card:rolleyes: He would be willing to pay $20-$30 a day for unlimited beer. Or even a "beer and dine" where you get a 6 pack a day at reduced prices.

still debating the smuggling thing - don't leave for another few weeks so we will see:p

good luck all you smugglers:cool:

We live in the Fingerlakes Region of Central New York. This area is home to many small wineries. Two years ago (Voyager OTS), I brought a bottle of wine from a local winery to give as a prize at our Meet & Mingle. Sounds like I won't be able to do that on my next cruise.

I wouldn't count it out, Kicker, I'm on Long Island (although I greatly enjoyed my time at Cornell University in your neck of the woods!), and did the same with a Long Island bottle of wine this past January on the Explorer. For whatever it's worth, I wrapped it up and put a note that it was a M&M gift. Don't know if that helped or I just didn't get caught, but I know the people who got it in our gift exchange were very happy!

~ Peri

We always bring our own booze in our packed luggage via Rum Runner Flasks. We also bring mixers, larger sized disposable cups, a Magic Bullet Blender, extension cords, power strip, IPOD loaded with "Caribbean Music" and docking station for the IPOD. When we check in at the curb we have a case of water, soda and Red Bull. We tape them all together with duct tape and slap a cabin luggage tag on it. Along with that we check in our rolling ice chest.

All arrives safely and the room attendant will keep the ice chest full of ice for us. We travel with a group of 6 couples and each couple is responsible for "drink of the cocktail hour". Everyone brings something different.

Our cabins are all in a row and we have the balconies opened up so we can travel up and down all the balconies when we wish.

Get the music on, crank up the blender.. cocktails are at 4pm all invited!!:D

No, we don't take the microwave! :eek:

Just an Example

Twelve pack of beer in your suitcase: $15.00

Bucket of 6 beers through the cruiseline: $31.05 ($4.50/beer x 6 + 15% gratuity.)

That means twelve beers would cost you $62.10.

$62.10-$15.00=$47.10 that's one hell of a mark up (400+%)!!! Viva la Smugglers!!!

Come join us!:)

CRUISE BOOZE SMUGGLERS of AMERICA

Founder, head bartender, new drink tester: CaribeDiver

CEO: bambidrummer

President: KLFHNGR

Vice-President: bigal115

Secretary: shelbylook

Treasurer: Daycare Provider (No Sippy Cups Allowed:D )

Research & Product Development: wolfcathorse

Legal Council: doublegator

Legal Co-Council: RetireeWannbee

Skallywag: PSCruiser

Lazy Drunkard: hoogie

Scoundrel:

Swab:

Scoundrel:

Swab:

Scoundrel:

Swab:

Scoundrel:

Swab:

Scoundrel:

Swab (Keg tapper): marklynpa

Tequila Wench: libertybelle41

Head Beer Wench: karena1

Asst. Head Beer Wench: Sillyjilly

Beer Wench: Tralynn222

Beer Wench: lablvr2

Beer Wench: susibell2 (Welcome!)

Beer Wench:

Beer Wench:

Beer Wench:

Rum Wench: #1packerfan

Whiskey & other hard liquors Wench: wolfcathorse

Wine Wench: noahsmom

Wine Wench: NYNY10022

Wine Wench: Katink

Wine Wench:

Wine Wench:

Wine Wench:

Wine Wench:

FooFoo Martini Maven: perischacknow

Rum cake baker and other alcohol absorbing goodies: Becciboo

Our next meeting is...I forgot!:p

Please be welcomed to join our group. We are equal opportunity smugglers!:p

We're baaaaaaack!:eek:

CaribeDiver....

Oh can I join the club??? :-)

Just back from Voyager yesterday. Also debated whether or not to pack any alcohol. When we got to Galveston, I decided to pack a fifth of gin that was sold in a plastic "Traveler" container in one bag and a Black Box chardonnay in a different bag. Both made it through ok. Another couple with us packed a small bottle of Skyy vodka and a bottle of Crown Royal in the same suitcase. The Skyy was confiscated and the Crown made it through:confused: . The Skyy was returned upon return in the terminal building. A third couple with us also packed a box of wine and it made it through ok.

As noted in an earlier posting, there were a number of confiscated bottles in the terminal upon return - mostly wine and a few hard liquor of varying types. Also notice some small individual sized bottles of wine. Anyway, seems to me it is hit or miss whether the screening staff will find your stash should you decide to bring your own. Lastly, if you do bring your own and it makes it on board, I would suggest keeping your refreshments in a discreet location in order to avoid putting your room steward in an akward position with his/her supervisor.

RC does a good job making drinks and the bucket of 5 beers for $23 (includes 15% gratuity) is not too bad a deal. Also, if you have a favorite location where drinks are served, get acquainted with the regular bartender early in the cruise and tip a little extra. They will take care of you :D . For us, it is a matter of convenience as we like to have a late afternoon drink or two on the balcony and while we dress for second seating, or the occassional night cap. We didn't finish what we brought onboard and took the remaining amount home with us, and we also run up a pretty hefty sea pass tab during our time onboard.

Enjoy your cruise!!

First of all it was only my 2 cents why I wont smuggle - not worth the effort to me. Repeat...reason why I wont smuggle - you want to - knock yourself out!

Second, I said 'in the sun" the ice melted. It doesn't matter if the cup is insulated it is not heatproof, just slows down the ice melting. As I am not a fast drinker, it melted and made the drink warm.

Okay, I can accept plenty of reasons NOT to smuggle: it is against the cruise line's policy, it's possible that your bottles could burst inside your suitcase, etc. . . . but I can't buy into these two reasons. Here's why:

1. If you're not a heavy drinker, then going "all the way back to your cabin" isn't going to be a big deal. You make the drink in your travel mug before you head out to the pool. If you're not a heavy drinker, that 20-oz drink's going to last you a while -- especially if it's in a travel mug, which I assume is insulated to keep it cold.

2. Ice from your room melts at the same rate as ice from the bar; if you're drinking it by the pool, it's going to have a short lifespan. If you're taking it back to your room, it's going to last longer . . . but either way, ice is ice.

On Norwegian we were allowed to bring bottles of wine and pay a $15 corkage fee. I gladly did this..as I then had the wine I wanted and it was still less expensive. They let you drink in anywhere on the ship. So RCL does not let you do this?

Oh my gosh that is so funny. I'm sitting here at my computer laughing like an idiot. That is just what I was thinking...

Several quite decent wines are available now packaged in a box. Boxed wine is more than just Franzia these days. Don't laugh too loud, if you haven't actually tried any lately.

Several quite decent wines are available now packaged in a box. Boxed wine is more than just Franzia these days. Don't laugh too loud, if you haven't actually tried any lately.

Sorry...it just seemed like a box of wine would be a little awkward to smuggle...more so than bottles. Although wrapping it up like a gift was pretty clever...

On Norwegian we were allowed to bring bottles of wine and pay a $15 corkage fee. I gladly did this..as I then had the wine I wanted and it was still less expensive. They let you drink in anywhere on the ship. So RCL does not let you do this?

That is correct - Royal Caribbean does not let you do this.

Sorry...it just seemed like a box of wine would be a little awkward to smuggle...more so than bottles. Although wrapping it up like a gift was pretty clever...

Ah . . . That is taken care of, two, as they are available in pretty convenient sized packages. Target has a line of boxed wines that come in little "mini-cubes" that seem very small, but hold 1.5 liters of wine. More compact and lighter weight than trying to carry two glass bottles. And their wines are pretty good, too.

Boxed wine is actually very easy to smuggle. I've never heard of a boxed wine breaking in your luggage and there's no metal parts to be picked up on x-ray. They're looking for bottle shapes, not cubes ;)

Archived