Got a letter from P&O today

Shogun

Can't enforce it huh?

When Carnival's PARADISE was a non-smoking ship, we were doing a Southern Caribbean from MIA to Barbados rtn.

At night, on the southbound leg of the voyage, someone reported smoke from passenger's cabin hrough the bottom of the door. Instead of enjoying the port of Castries in St Lucia, the couple with child were put ashore, and it was their responsibility to make their own arrangements back to MIA.

...so don't say it can't be enforced!!!

Ciao for now!!!

I doubt it, something they can't enforce. :)

Yes they can enforce it. They did it with the Carnival Paradise. However, P & O will soon find out, as Carnival did, that a no smoking ship is not profitable. Smokers gamble and smokers drink. Ergo.........

Pia

That's great news!

Shouldn't be hard to enforce. The room attendants would smell it and report them.

All rooms are smoke free on RCL. They don't seem to have any trouble. In fact even when they weren't I never smelled smoke in the hallways. (trust me, I would notice!)

Yes they can enforce it. They did it with the Carnival Paradise. However, P & O will soon find out, as Carnival did, that a no smoking ship is not profitable. Smokers gamble and smokers drink. Ergo.........

Pia

People will still find a way to smoke anyway be it pot or cigarettes, in a cabin or elsewhere. :)

Whether they kick them off or not.

People will still find a way to smoke anyway be it pot or cigarettes, in a cabin or elsewhere. :)

Whether they kick them off or not.

Sure. There are always those who "test the waters." I for one wouldn't take the chance of being thrown off a ship in some god forsaken place. Then again......I don't smoke. :D But I did.

Pia

Pia

I am not sure if it was said "non smoking" or just in the cabins. I agree, it will be hard to turn a profit if it is totally non smoking. One of the problems is with booking large groups which are very important to any cruise line. It is easy to find individuals that do not smoke and even families, just to get entire groups of maybe 10-40 cabins with no smokers is almost impossible. Non smoking ships are not like non smoking restaurants. On land you can go outside somewhere to satisfy your habit. On a ship, going overboard would be the only way.

Nita

I am not sure if it was said "non smoking" or just in the cabins. I agree, it will be hard to turn a profit if it is totally non smoking. One of the problems is with booking large groups which are very important to any cruise line. It is easy to find individuals that do not smoke and even families, just to get entire groups of maybe 10-40 cabins with no smokers is almost impossible. Non smoking ships are not like non smoking restaurants. On land you can go outside somewhere to satisfy your habit. On a ship, going overboard would be the only way.

Nita

I did go back to reread the original and yes.....it only said in the cabin not the entire ship. I guess the smokers won't have to go overboard. :rolleyes:

In order to determine if this is enforceable or not, I think we need to know what “it will not be allowing smoking in the cabins” means. Does this mean in the cabin and the balconies? Or just in the cabins? If smoking is allowed on the balconies and not in the cabins, there is no way to enforce it. The smoke will come right in from the balcony to the cabin. There will be no way to tell where the person was when they lit up.

I think some of the smaller boutique ships could be made totally non-smoking, but if a mass market line with a 3000 passenger ship wants to keep it full, they will have to allow smoking somewhere.

In order to determine if this is enforceable or not, I think we need to know what “it will not be allowing smoking in the cabins” means. Does this mean in the cabin and the balconies? Or just in the cabins? If smoking is allowed on the balconies and not in the cabins, there is no way to enforce it. The smoke will come right in from the balcony to the cabin. There will be no way to tell where the person was when they lit up.

I think some of the smaller boutique ships could be made totally non-smoking, but if a mass market line with a 3000 passenger ship wants to keep it full, they will have to allow smoking somewhere.

The Carnival Paradise was aggressively marketed as the first completely non-smoking ship. As in no smoking anywhere, and even having cigarettes was prohibited. That's one of the reasons I selected it, myself. As to enforceability.....I know they were very clear prior to sailing at the consequences if you got caught.

The Carnival Paradise was aggressively marketed as the first completely non-smoking ship. As in no smoking anywhere, and even having cigarettes was prohibited. That's one of the reasons I selected it, myself. As to enforceability.....I know they were very clear prior to sailing at the consequences if you got caught.
I wasn't referring to a non-smoking ship, I was referring to a non-smoking cabin and whether or not that included balconies.

Carnival Paradise was successful as a non-smoking ship, but economically could not keep up. Unfortunate because it would offer an alternative.

Before one was let onto the Paradise, you had to send a pledge with the consequences well spelled out. It was one of our nicest cruises ever.

Casshew - that has to be one of the prettiest photos I've ever seen of St. Lucia. Did you take it, and, if so, where? Anse Chastenet, I think, but on the north end of the beach? Or was it from a trail? I need to find that spot!

Damn the photo, I just wanna go there!

Thanks for the beautiful shot.:cool:

Mike:)

Archived