Visas

margord

We are crusing in February on Diamond Princess. Anyone that has done this before when do you get your visa? I was told by the TA that the cruise line will get it for us. Anyone have experience with getting their visa from the cruise line?

You haven't said where you are going to cruise. I assume to or from Australia.

I also assume you are not an Australian.

YOU are responsible for obtaining entry documents for all countries you visit. It's in the small print on most cruise contracts. However, depending on your Nationality, the cruise line may be assisting you with electronic entry. I would clarify with them.

You haven't said where you are going to cruise. I assume to or from Australia.

I also assume you are not an Australian.

YOU are responsible for obtaining entry documents for all countries you visit. It's in the small print on most cruise contracts. However, depending on your Nationality, the cruise line may be assisting you with electronic entry. I would clarify with them.

So sorry, we are going to Australia and New Zealand and we are Americans.

I can't tell you what Princess may or may not do as to getting you visas....

You do not need a visa to land in New Zealand, but you do need one for Australia. It must be obtained before you leave the U.S. and the airlines will know if you have one or not. If not, you will not be allowed to board.

If Princess doesn't arrange an Austalian visa for you, you can very easily do it over the internet direct with the Government of Australia. It costs very little, you do not need to send in your passport and it very quick and painless!

Go to: http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/

Just follow the instructions.....:)

I was just on the Sapphire Princess in March doing New Zealand and Australia. Princess took care of getting our electronic visas, however, if someone had gotten their own, I believe Princess would reimburse them. If I were you, I'd let Princess deal with it.

I would not let someone else deal with it unless I was sure they were dealing with it. Who needs the stress in the finals days leading up to the holiday? For twenty dollars, I would do it myself and know the job was done properly without hassels of calls and getting it in writing etc.

Each to their own!:p

M.

It depends on whether you are arriving in Australia by ship or by air. If you are coming to Australia from NZ by ship then Princess will probably take care of it. But if you are flying to Australia to start your cruise you will need to organise it.

If Princess doesn't arrange an Austalian visa for you, you can very easily do it over the internet direct with the Government of Australia. It costs very little, you do not need to send in your passport and it very quick and painless!

Go to: http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/

It's only AUD 20 per person to do this, and it takes about 2 minutes per person. I've just done it for myself for the first time and it was as easy as everyone says. Frankly, for this trifling cost, I wouldn't worry about whether anyone else has done it for you, or might do it for you. Once you've done it yourself, you can stop worrying about it.

The only thing to remember is not to do it too early. The ETA only lasts for one year, dated from when it's issued. There's no point doing it 10 months in advance of travel. Just make a note to do it a couple of months before you go, and you're all set.

My only personal gripe is I now have to remember to do this once a year. For years, I've been travelling on four-year tourist visas, so I only had to get a new one as often as the Olympics come around. But they've now discontinued these. Boo!

It's only AUD 20 per person to do this, and it takes about 2 minutes per person. I've just done it for myself for the first time and it was as easy as everyone says. Frankly, for this trifling cost, I wouldn't worry about whether anyone else has done it for you, or might do it for you. Once you've done it yourself, you can stop worrying about it.

The only thing to remember is not to do it too early. The ETA only lasts for one year, dated from when it's issued. There's no point doing it 10 months in advance of travel. Just make a note to do it a couple of months before you go, and you're all set.

My only personal gripe is I now have to remember to do this once a year. For years, I've been travelling on four-year tourist visas, so I only had to get a new one as often as the Olympics come around. But they've now discontinued these. Boo!

I agree. For $40 (for DH and me) I can have piece of mind. Since we leave Australia to come home 3/1/09 I guess I can do it any time. I think I will give myself a reminder to do it in the Fall.

There is some misinformation posted here. We cruised on the Sapphire Princess out of Sydney last year.

If you are cruising with Princess out of Aus and you are a US or Canadian citizen they will automatically arrange the visa for you and they will charge the $25 to your bill. If you are not US or Canadian its up to you to arrange your visa.

Just make sure that you confirm with Princess a few weeks before the cruise that they arranged your visa, if you did arrange your own visa then have Princess remove the charge.

One cant be too careful who you let in can one! :p

It depends on whether you are arriving in Australia by ship or by air. If you are coming to Australia from NZ by ship then Princess will probably take care of it. But if you are flying to Australia to start your cruise you will need to organise it.

We've flown United, Air NZ and Quantas from LAX/SFO and the airline has always taken care of the ETA's for us. Just check 30 days or so before departure to be sure the ETA record is in the airline's system with your reservation. United nearly barred me from boarding one time due to an inadvertent error with my birthdate made by my TA. The gate agent at LAX had to call Australian Immigration to get the record corrected. If you are using cruise air, check with your cruise line, otherwise your airline. We are back to Oz again this June. Can't wait.

We are crusing in February on Diamond Princess. Anyone that has done this before when do you get your visa? I was told by the TA that the cruise line will get it for us. Anyone have experience with getting their visa from the cruise line?

We are also on the Diamond in February - Auckland to Sydney - just checked with our TA - they have advised "no worries" that Princess takes care of it -

Which cruise are you on ? We depart Auckland on February 10 ...

We are also on the Diamond in February - Auckland to Sydney - just checked with our TA - they have advised "no worries" that Princess takes care of it -

Which cruise are you on ? We depart Auckland on February 10 ...

We re on the same cruise. Have you been to our roll call yet? It's a little slow so please join in.

Marilee

Yes, no visa is required.

Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) was introduced in 1996 and is processed by travel agents, airlines and special service providers around the world. There is a $20 service fee.

See http://www.immi.gov.au

I suspect it was introduced, as a security measure, to speed the arrival of visitors by ship or airline.

Yes, no visa is required.

Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) was introduced in 1996 and is processed by travel agents, airlines and special service providers around the world. There is a $20 service fee.

See http://www.immi.gov.au

I suspect it was introduced, as a security measure, to speed the arrival of visitors by ship or airline.

To be pedantic, the ETA is an alternative to a visa - you must have one or the other.

I think that the ETA was probably introduced as a response to the growing irritation felt by many "first world" travellers with the universal requirement to get a visa to travel to Australia, when many similar countries simply do not require visas from similar travellers (eg New Zealand and the UK) - including from Australians. I was one of these irritated travellers, spending too much of my life at the visa office in Australia House (which is thankfully quite close to my office). But, I also suspect, for political reasons there was no scope for Australia to completely lift the statutory requirement that everyone (except Kiwis) must hold a visa.

So the ETA was introduced as a relatively fast, cheap and painless alternative method of pre-clearance. It also has benefits for Australia, in reducing pre-clearance costs in relation to travellers from these "safe" countries. And the ETA has got better as personal/domestic Internet use has spread, now allowing most people to do it themselves, at home.

I guess I was trying to explain that an ETA is not a Visa and that it is best to get all information re entry requirements from the relevant country's website.

I would always send my passport away to get my own visa.

However, as ETA is an electronic system originally set up in 1996 for travel agents, airlines and special service providers around the world, I would be happy for them to get the ETA on my behalf. ETA was only later extended to enable individuals to apply personally.

We've flown United, Air NZ and Quantas from LAX/SFO and the airline has always taken care of the ETA's for us. Just check 30 days or so before departure to be sure the ETA record is in the airline's system with your reservation. United nearly barred me from boarding one time due to an inadvertent error with my birthdate made by my TA. The gate agent at LAX had to call Australian Immigration to get the record corrected. If you are using cruise air, check with your cruise line, otherwise your airline. We are back to Oz again this June. Can't wait.

Have you been flying business or first class? Because I've been told that it is only in those classes that the airline will obtain it for you for free. If it has to be paid for anyway, I'd rather do it myself and know that it is done.

Sharon like you I would rather obtain the Visa myself and know that all the details were correct.

Looking forward to my November trip. I have now booked my Singapore Hotel using the Singapore Airlines stopover package.

Booked the Ritz Carlton and I am so looking forward to it.

Still to sort out the Auckland hotel.

I am leaving my Visa until nearer the time but I obtained one for my Niece who has been out in Australia recently. No problem confirmed in less than 30 minutes.

Sue

Sharon like you I would rather obtain the Visa myself and know that all the details were correct.

Looking forward to my November trip. I have now booked my Singapore Hotel using the Singapore Airlines stopover package.

Booked the Ritz Carlton and I am so looking forward to it.

Still to sort out the Auckland hotel.

I am leaving my Visa until nearer the time but I obtained one for my Niece who has been out in Australia recently. No problem confirmed in less than 30 minutes.

Sue

Sue,

That is the best idea yet. Since it only takes about 30 minutes, I think I will wait for my finaly docments from Princess and see if they took care of it. If not I will do it myself.

Here is one question. If Princess already did it will the web site let me do it again and charge me again or will it come back and say I already have my VISA? Is there somewhere I can check to see if I have it or not?

Marilee

Archived