makeup in carry on-is it 3-1-1?

vacationgal

Hi all, I have a question about the airline rules of 3-1-1. I plan to put my makeup in my carry on. I know the liquids must be in the 3 0z size and in the quart bag, but do I also put my bare minerals powders in quart bag too? How about my lipstick I usually carry in my purse? I haven't flown in quite a while and this is a bit confusing to me and I don't want a problem at the airport!!:rolleyes: Thanks for your help and suggestions:)

If it's a powder, it does not need to go in the bag.

The lipstick shouldn't have to either (the regs only say lip glosses/gels) but it depends on the screener. Just in case you happen to get someone who's on a power trip, toss it in your quart size bag for safety's sake.

I put my liquid makeup in the quart bag, but my mascara, powders,mascara,lipsticks etc I just carry them on in my makeup bag.....no problems at all. I usually fly out of smaller airports, but even LAX (Los Angeles) hasn't stopped me. I always put my small bottle of hand sanitizer, hand lotion and special cleanser for my face in the quart bag.

I just check all my makeup when flying (liquids, anyway) I'm not putting things into little containers--too much trouble! Lipstick is not liquid, so that need not be in a bag! (who the hell thought up these stupid "bag" rules!!!--Do YOU feel safer knowing that no one has foundation?????)

Two trips ago I had to go through my bag at one point and pull out all lipstick, mascara and liquid eyeliner - thankfully I had a couple of spare ziplocks in my bag. I'd never experienced that before. You never know what the individual screener is going to ask for - now I travel prepared for the worst!:rolleyes:

My simple rule is that if it is liquid cream or gel I put it in my quart bag. Some of you may know that I am working really hard at learning to pack light :rolleyes: and my last long trip (not a cruise) I took only a roll aboard and a tote so everything liquid had to be in the zip bag. My Bare Minerals, eye makup remover pads and ponds face cleaning cloths did not have to go in there. Let's see if I can remember what I do put in the bag...

small gel deodorant

moisturizer

hand sanitizer

toothpaste

shower gel

scented lotion

perfume (I get the roll on kind from Philosophy in a very small bottle)

mascara

Yep, I think that's about it but I'm sure I've forgotten something. Good luck.

Seriously - just put everything in the 1 quart bag. It's all going with you anyway, right? Who cares how it's divided up; I certainly don't, but the screeners might. Everything goes back into my carry-on, so I just put anything "in question" in the zipper bag. No biggie.

I don't have a problem with the 3-1-1 either, although I think it's kind of overkill. Kind of silly to assume everyone with shoes and mascara are terrorists, but it's not like we can change the rules, so I just go with the flow. Thank goodness Richard Reid didn't try to blow up an airplane with his underpants -- what a mess we'd all be in THEN! :D

Here's what goes in my ziploc:

Sunscreen

Moisturizer

2-in-1 Shampoo/conditioner

Hair spray

Purell

Toothpaste

Nail polish

Perfume

Mascara

Neosporin

I just check all my makeup when flying (liquids, anyway) I'm not putting things into little containers--too much trouble! Lipstick is not liquid, so that need not be in a bag! (who the hell thought up these stupid "bag" rules!!!--Do YOU feel safer knowing that no one has foundation?????)

I buy cosmetics and creams when they have give-aways, so I stock up on the sample sizes. If you have a local department store, such as Nordstrom, find out if they are having any seasonal "shows" for makeup and fashion, they have great giveaways at those as well. If I have items that I know I won't use I share them with my co-workers.

I know the rules seem silly, but if it saves lives it is worth it. I'm mildly annoyed by it and I do check more liquids now than before. We'll just have to wait for the next "rule", what will terrorists think up next???

Edit to add, I don't just buy anything at the giveaways, I only buy my normal products, otherwise it would be a waste of money and a little silly just to get the sample sizes.

I do not put mascara or lipstick in quart bag.

I bought a TSA approved quart size bag from Bed, Bath & beyond. It has containers in it and has very sturdy zipper, much stronger than using just a ziplock baggie. It was about $9 but worth it! If you plan to bring alot of liquid, gels, cream in your carryon, this is the bag to get.

Thanks so much for all the help:) I think I'll be well prepared now!!

I usually carry on all of my makeup and pack the rest in checked luggage. If my suitcase is lost or delayed I know I can purchase more deo or shampoo but not always so easy to get my BE;)

I had completely forgotten about the hand sanitizer in my purse, so now it's on the list to go in the quart bag too. You girls are great!!!

I work at Neiman Marcus we give samples without a purchase most dep. stores do just ask.

That's nice to know, although I feel odd about just asking. Have you ever seen "Friends With Money"? Jennifer Anniston (her character) goes right up and asks, they aren't real kind to her, I think the character is guilty of asking too many times :o

Don't forget about sunscreen. Last year I grabbed a small tube of sunscreen for my face at the last minute and without thinking I just tossed it into my carry-on rather than in the 3-1-1 bag. Yes, they did catch it. They didn't take it away, though, since it was still in its original package. It was an inconvenience, but I admit it did up my respect for the security people; I was really surprised that the scanner caught it.

I haven't had much trouble with my bag. If I'm checking a bag, 99% of my stuff can go in the checked bag. For all of the liquids, I take a little piece of plastic wrap and put it over the opening, then screw the lid back on. It prevents leakage. I then carry a little piece of wrap to take pieces off for when I return. My shampoo is actually a solid. It's from Lush (http://www.lush.com). It's actually fantastic shampoo - I even use it at home. I have the Godiva bar. There's really not much that I'd cry over if my checked bag was temporarily misplaced. Now, if I travel with just my carryon, then, I do use my 1 quart bag. In it goes:

moisturiser

toothpaste

hair conditioner

hair defrizzer

my favorite sunscreen (AloeGator SPF 38)

lip gloss

If a product that I like has a "travel size" (larger than the samples), I'll buy one of it. Then, I keep them and just refill them from my normal larger size bottles from then on. If I can't find one, then I've bought a couple of the legal size bottles at my local backpacking/travel store and label them.

I never thought about the mascara and I have never had an issue with it. I guess I've been lucky in all my traverses of airports around the world.

It's also a matter of thinking "do I REALLY need that product badly enough that I can't buy a replacement or I have to use it before I get my checked bag" when packing.

As far as samples, you can always just say I want to try this before I buy it do you have a sample. That way you're not feeling like the person that just tries to get the free samples everywhere. Plus if you do try a new product and you like it maybe you will buy it... I hate not being able to try things befor eI purchase them now. (I sold makeup for a pyramid scheme for a few months and realized I don't want to be stuck with a product that I paid good money for that I hate!)

Don't even get me started on this. :mad: I followed all the 3-1-1 rules when flying out for my cruise last year, and lucky me, I got some screeners who were both mis-informed AND on a power trip.

They actually told me they were taking away my toiletries because they were not in their ORIGINAL containers! Believe it or not they said, "How do we know what you have in those containers?"

I knew they were completely WRONG, of course, but unfortunately I did not have the printed proof from the website that my little baggie of little plastic bottles followed all the rules. So it was either give up my toiletries or I wasn't getting on the plane.

Unbelievable but true.

Some months later, I took my complaint all the way to CATSA and they confirmed that I was right and the screeners were wrong. They did thank me for submitting my complaint and apologized for what happened.

In the future I will continue to package my toiletries in my carry-on exactly how I did last time, but I will now carry printed proof of the requirements so that they cannot do this to me again.:mad: You just never know who you're going to get screening you at Security.

- Sorry for the rant.

Cindy

Seriously - just put everything in the 1 quart bag. It's all going with you anyway, right? Who cares how it's divided up; I certainly don't, but the screeners might. Everything goes back into my carry-on, so I just put anything "in question" in the zipper bag. No biggie.

Trouble is, it has to all fit :o

I am starting to relate to Tammy Fae Baker with my growing cosmetic collection. And if I am on vacation for an entire week, I would like to have some options. I usually choose what to wear based on my mood.

- silly

Don't even get me started on this. :mad: I followed all the 3-1-1 rules when flying out for my cruise last year, and lucky me, I got some screeners who were both mis-informed AND on a power trip.

They actually told me they were taking away my toiletries because they were not in their ORIGINAL containers! Believe it or not they said, "How do we know what you have in those containers?"

I knew they were completely WRONG, of course, but unfortunately I did not have the printed proof from the website that my little baggie of little plastic bottles followed all the rules. So it was either give up my toiletries or I wasn't getting on the plane.

Unbelievable but true.

Some months later, I took my complaint all the way to CATSA and they confirmed that I was right and the screeners were wrong. They did thank me for submitting my complaint and apologized for what happened.

In the future I will continue to package my toiletries in my carry-on exactly how I did last time, but I will now carry printed proof of the requirements so that they cannot do this to me again.:mad: You just never know who you're going to get screening you at Security.

- Sorry for the rant.

Cindy

Yes, but everyone on your flight was so much safer because they took away your cosmetics! :D

On the other side of the coin....

I had bought a small bottle of wine in Paris (enough for a glass and a half). It was from a chateau I wanted to try and didn't want to buy a reg. bottle til I had a taste.

Instead of taking a store bag, I just put it in my purse and then forgot about it.

Two days later, why flying home, it was still in my purse and at the security screening they asked for liquids and I showed them the baggie w/ cosmetics. My handbag went through the screener as well as an open inspection and they never saw the wine in the bottom fold of the handbag. I didn't even realize I had it until I got home and was cleaning out my handbag the next day!

But your advice is great. Print out the rules to use with ignorant TSA employees if necessary.

I'll also add to print out the Rights of Carriage info from your airlines website, so if there are any flight delays/cancellations, you know exactly what you're entitled to in terms of compensation.

Unbelievable but true.

- Sorry for the rant.

Cindy

Thanks for the heads-up! Last trip, I had no problem at all with my travel containers. The screener even thanked me for writing the contents on the bottles (though it wasn't for his benefit -- I wanted to know which was Oil of Olay and which was hand lotion!) But you never know. This time I'll bring a photocopy of the rules! :)

Archived