Another missing passenger!!!

how does that happen.

you would have to really go high up to go over the railing.

This happens about once a year or so on Carnival. It is the party ship and most of the time someone is so drunk they do something stupid and fall over. A couple of years ago two people about 25 were so drunk they decided to climb up on the rail on the deck above the pool deck and try and walk it like a tight rope thing, of course either the ship moved or the wind blew anyway either both or just the one fell over board. We saw a young girl passed out on a stack of deck chairs that were leaning toward the rail. (This was our LAST Carnival cruise). They were cleaning the deck and she climbed up there. My husband alerted the security and they climbed up there and took her down.

I can't tell you what happened in that case. However, I will share what I saw last week when the Voyager was leaving Cozumel. I had a starboard cabin on the hump of deck 7 and was standing on my balcony as our ship was leaving. I looked toward the bow of the ship and saw a young man straddling the rail of his deck 8 balcony, located about half way between the hump and the bow of the ship. He was facing the bow of the ship with his right arm and leg over the railing and he was leaning over the rail toward the water. I could not believe my eyes. I thought to myself, "Now that must be one way that someone falls overboard on a ship." It is hard to believe that someone would do something like that.

I agree you have to be doing something pretty stupid to just fall overboard....or then maybe it is the new quicky divorce system....take your spouse on a cruise and get em drunk and throw in a double dog dare. :D

I'd think you'd have to climb. I've only been on RCI ships ... we'll be sharing 2 port days with Victory in June, I'll have to look to see if their railings seem lower or something. They do seem to have more of these man overboard incidents.

I can't tell you what happened in that case. However, I will share what I saw last week when the Voyager was leaving Cozumel. I had a starboard cabin on the hump of deck 7 and was standing on my balcony as our ship was leaving. I looked toward the bow of the ship and saw a young man straddling the rail of his deck 8 balcony, located about half way between the hump and the bow of the ship. He was facing the bow of the ship with his right arm and leg over the railing and he was leaning over the rail toward the water. I could not believe my eyes. I thought to myself, "Now that must be one way that someone falls overboard on a ship." It is hard to believe that someone would do something like that.

That is CRAZY!!!! Someone must have had one too many at Carlos N Charlies. :eek:

This happens about once a year or so on Carnival. It is the party ship and most of the time someone is so drunk they do something stupid and fall over. A couple of years ago two people about 25 were so drunk they decided to climb up on the rail on the deck above the pool deck and try and walk it like a tight rope thing, of course either the ship moved or the wind blew anyway either both or just the one fell over board. We saw a young girl passed out on a stack of deck chairs that were leaning toward the rail. (This was our LAST Carnival cruise). They were cleaning the deck and she climbed up there. My husband alerted the security and they climbed up there and took her down.

Actually, it happens on all cruise lines. Costa had a jumper earlier this month :eek:

http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/other/man_overboard.asp

###

I think this is interesting info (it was at the end of the link Phoenix Cruiser posted)

Notes: While falling from a cruise ship is a rare occurrence, a quick review of the Cruise News archives reveals that:

Males are much more likely to go overboard than females

Carnival passengers (16 incidents) are more likely to go overboard than passengers from other cruise lines...especially passengers on the Carnival Conquest

The average age of a passenger who goes overboard is 40 years

You are most likely to fall overboard on the last night of your cruise

For some reason, people from California and Florida go overboard more than others

Falling overboard does not necessarily mean you will die (8 people have been rescued, one after 18 hours in the water)

Most people who fall overboard are either drunk or doing silly things (climbing on the railing or between cabin balconies)

I agree you have to be doing something pretty stupid to just fall overboard....or then maybe it is the new quicky divorce system....take your spouse on a cruise and get em drunk and throw in a double dog dare. :D

Hey stranger. How are things down your way???? Getting ready for your cruise? :)

There are people that get drunk and act stupid on all cruise lines not just Carnival.:rolleyes: .

pretty soon the cruise lines are going to have to install alarms on the railings or something similar to keep people inside the boat. it's stupid. don't get drunk and decide to "tightrope" the ship.

pretty soon the cruise lines are going to have to install alarms on the railings or something similar to keep people inside the boat. it's stupid. don't get drunk and decide to "tightrope" the ship.

Maybe the railings should be electrified such as cattle ranchers sometimes use to keep cattle inside the fence. Such fences shock anyone that touches them. Maybe ship railings should have a jolt too.:eek:

Maybe the railings should be electrified such as cattle ranchers sometimes use to keep cattle inside the fence. Such fences shock anyone that touches them. Maybe ship railings should have a jolt too.:eek:

kinda like the electric fences used to keep dogs inside the yard huh? :-)

Archived