Buying New Cruise Luggage

Wennfred

This is really off topic but the local county sheriff in Phoenix makes his inmates wear pink underwear (and endure other humiliations) so there may be something in what you say. Fred??? Comments????

REAL men wear PINK!

Back in my Disco days I used to wear a nice Black shirt with a Bright Pink Tie, Black Pants and a Pink Belt, I was a babe magnet :D

Fred

We've got inexpensive luggage in black.

To make it distinctive, and highly visible from a distance, I purchased rolls of wide ribbon from the fabric/craft section of Walmart then cut and used fabric glue to adhere the ribbon strips onto the luggage. I placed one or two ribbon strips per side so no matter how the luggage is sitting or laying, we're able to see that it's our luggage.

Tip: purchase an extra roll of ribbon for future use. I purchased an extra suitcase and camera bag recently and didn't have any matching ribbon. I found fabric that was in the same colors and pattern (just a tad smaller pattern) but had to hem all sides of the cut pieces before gluing the strips to the new cases. Much faster using rolled ribbon :).

The ribbon has held up very well through four trips (planes and ships). All of our items - suitcases, garment bag, carry-on, and camera bag - match. Shuttle drivers, other passengers, and airline personnel have commented favorably about them. :cool:

Great Fred! Now your luggage looks like ours. :p

And thanks to your advertisement, soon everyone will have the bright blue luggage. :rolleyes:

Yes, and let's not everyone put the red, white and blue striped ribbon on the handles to mark theirs. We found it first!

I have this set Fred, and I'm pretty happy with it. Got it half price at a department store, although I've seen an even better price at Marshall's. It's lightweight, packs well, and has held up pretty well. It really does stand out well on the luggage turnstile, although I've seen a few others in that color cropping up.

Here are the downsides, just so ya know: the color really shows the dirt, if that bothers you, and the fabric frays a bit with handling - well, so do I, come to think of it. ;)

The newer models that I've seen in this line have the rotating wheels.

Have fun.

Well after this long Freedom Trip, we decided to buy some really good highly visible Luggage, everyone has the Black type of the rollers and we couldn't figure out which ones were ours from far away.

I read on the plane that this company has the lightest luggage and it even has a self repair zipper. I'm looking at this luggage, its called The Helium Fusion Collection from Delsey. Does anyone have this type of Luggage?

Helium Fusion Collection

from Delsey will suit all of your traveling needs with zest and style! Made of 1800 Polyester and self repairing interlocking zippers, the cases from the Helium Fusion Collection are extremely durable. Molded polypropylene kickplates eliminate wear at stress points. The recessed locking trolley handle has an easy access push button lock and release system making it a one hand operation. The Helium Fusion Collection from Delsey offers great value on dependable premium lightweight luggage that you won't be able to pass up!

QW1170_l.jpg

QW1170_c.jpg

The airline and cruiselines are responsible for damage luggage,you just have to find a rep right away and file a claim,i bought some expensive light weight hard sided luggage (International Traveller 24 inch) on ebags last year on sale for $70.00/each,they are now $130.00/each,so far they are holding up very well and must be a reason they raised the price that much,just packed all my belongings including suit and 2 pairs of shoes for a seven day cruise and was surprised that it only weighed 38lbs,amazing!

I always buy my luggage from LL Bean, it's expensive, but stands up to most anything. The few problems I've had they ship me out a brand new one, no questions asked. I grew up in Maine, they are a great company to deal with.

I have this set Fred, and I'm pretty happy with it. Got it half price at a department store, although I've seen an even better price at Marshall's. It's lightweight, packs well, and has held up pretty well. It really does stand out well on the luggage turnstile, although I've seen a few others in that color cropping up.

Here are the downsides, just so ya know: the color really shows the dirt, if that bothers you, and the fabric frays a bit with handling - well, so do I, come to think of it. ;)

The newer models that I've seen in this line have the rotating wheels.

Have fun.

Good to know, I understand about the scuff marks and thats ok since they are there to take punishment and get dirty. Thanks for the Marshalls tip.

Fred

I got bright orange :D

We flew to Vegas today and will be here till Sunday, anyways we saw Zebra color luggage today LOL. I mean with the Black and White stripes, no one else had them. I saw them right away :D

Fred

How much does it weigh empty?

Fred

about 2 lbs,it's the lightest luggage i have ever seen,packed all my belongings for my 7 daycruise leaving this sunday out of san juan and it weighs 38 lbs,it's also expandable which makes it even better and hard sided to boot,safer for bringing back breakable items.

I just tie a piece of the ugliest, gaudiest looking ribbon to each handle on my luggage. Works like a champ at airports and on cruises, I can pick my pieces out of the crowd every time!

And it's definitely cheaper than a new set of luggage, that's for sure!! :)

Thats the same luggage i bought but in red,International Traveller,they are holding up very well...knock on wood !

Where did your get it. Really only 2 pounds?? The lite weight I was looking at was 10 lbs. Had to retire my new spinner, it weighed 15 pounds.

Where did your get it. Really only 2 pounds?? The lite weight I was looking at was 10 lbs. Had to retire my new spinner, it weighed 15 pounds.
I bought it on ebags.com they both are full of clothes otherwise i would have weighed it right now and let you know,but it's as lite as a feather.

We bought a set of the Samsonite suitcases with the spinner wheels. I LOVE those spinner wheels. You could easily push 2 of those cases through any airport with the greatest of ease. My mother loved ours so much, that she went out and bought a new suitcase with the spinner wheels as well. It takes much less effort to push a large suitcase on all four wheels, than to have to tilt it on two. Our luggage has been on three cruises and numerous airplanes with no problems at all. If you don't want Samsonite, at least find another brand with the spinner wheels. You won't be sorry.

I don't buy expensive luggage anymore. They all seem to last about the same - it all comes down to how the baggage handlers treat it.

I just bought some new luggage at Kohl's (don't remember the brand) in purple. I thought I was really being smart getting a color that would be easy to notice. Ha! Purple isn't so uncommon anymore! I saw several other pieces of purple luggage on the conveyor belt. But, I do always buy those lime green luggage tags and use a colored luggage strap around the outside of my luggage. All that makes my luggage very easy to find.

Archived