Car License Plates?

SDHALFAN

I had to visit the Commissary (Military supermarket) this morning since my dog was close to being out of his preferred food and I needed Coffeemate for tomorrow morning's wake-up call.

Okay: so here I am trundling my shopping cart back to where I had parked my car when out of the corner of my eye I espied this license plate holder: "My Other Car is the Rotterdam".

Now, we have all seen those wacko license plate holders that state: "My Other Car is.....(whatever:rolleyes: ); My grandchildren are cuter than yours are (:rolleyes: ), etc., but has anyone else ever seen a license plate with a reference to a HAL ship?

Valerie:)

Never! But I like the idea. I wonder if they had it special made?

I wish that I knew. I sort of hung around the area until I felt that I might be looking like a stalker, but the car owners never did show up. It honestly did not look like a specially made item, more like one that could be found easily, but I have never seen one like this before.

Hey, another way for HAL to make some money. I would certainly be happy to buy one - I just would have to decide between the Amsterdam and the Ryndam. Probably though the Amsterdam would edge out the Ryndam, but by a slight margin.

Valerie:D

Coulda been the captain's car?

The chances are fair that it did indeed belong to a captain of a ship, but that ship would belong to that other great cruiseline: the U.S. Navy (;) ).

One of Amsterdam's captains lives in the L.A. area

Yeah, but unless he has a decal which would allow him aboard Base then I doubt that it was his car. I know that a couple of HAL captains have military backgrounds but quite frankly I can't imagine that they would even know where MCAS Miramar is (it is, after all, a USMC base - and it's a beauty). Were they on TDY maybe they could venture this far north but I doubt, honestly, that they would find it that interesting, unless they are into Marine Corps and aviation history.

Valerie :)

p.s. John, can you guess that I love MCAS Miramar? I have lived in this area for more than 30 years and have seen Miramar go from a nice, but definitely scruffy, Navy Base to a USMC Base that would do anyone proud.

Semper Fi my friend.

You don't have to have a decal. My son is a Marine and when I or his friends visit him all I have to do is check in at the gate and I can go pretty much go anywhere on the base. Sometimes I don't even have to get a pass. I just tell the MPs that I am visiting my son and they wave me on. He has been stationed at Camp Pendleton, Twenty Nine Palms, MCRDSD. All are what they call "open" bases.

I wonder if they had it special made?

By entering a search on Google of:

"Custon Car License Plate Frames"

I found a number of places that can do it.

The price range was $25 - $35.

What a great idea.

Ready to order mine.

Whoever owns the car would have to be military or ex-military. This was on the military base, right?

I'd love to have one of those too!

Yes, it was most definitely on a military base and that's what threw me for a loop, since I usually see something like Naval Academy - (year); Purple Heart recpient; POW; Pearl Harbor survivor: (although these are showing less often, as you can imagine) .

I don't suppose you remember the tag number? Copper could run the plate for you, then contact could be made!

Honestly Ruth, I didn't even think to check the tag number (thou art so much smarter than I). I can only hope that maybe I will see that car again, and if I do then you can bet that I will be leaving a note on their windshield to please contact me. The chances of me seeing that car again are not great but it could happen, God willing and the Creek don't rise.

Very cool, Valerie.

Next time, take a picture, OK?

Hi Captain, my Captain I promise that I will try very hard to remember to take my digital camera with me the next time I go grocery shopping, especially if I'm going to MCAS (Marine Corps Air Station) Miramar.

Luv ya,

You don't have to have a decal. My son is a Marine and when I or his friends visit him all I have to do is check in at the gate and I can go pretty much go anywhere on the base. Sometimes I don't even have to get a pass. I just tell the MPs that I am visiting my son and they wave me on. He has been stationed at Camp Pendleton, Twenty Nine Palms, MCRDSD. All are what they call "open" bases.

You have been lucky, and yes, some of the bases are open bases but as you mentioned all you have to do is check in at the gate. I have a decal - I don't check in at the gate: I just show my ID card and sail right through, with a salute and either "have a great day Maam" or a Marine salute (Oorah - Copper John would know so much better than I how to spell that Marine pride salute).

Now, to show the difference: did you attempt to go aboard any of the bases you mentioned on 9/11? Believe me, you would have truly had a different experience. Many of the bases appear to be "open" right now, but believe me they are not, they are well aware at all times. You mention Camp Pendleton, with which I am very familiar. Did you ever drive through Camp Pendleton from the coast to Fallbrook? Do you remember being warned not to stop at any time on that road through the "weapons" area (for want of a better description), and did you not sort of notice that maybe there were some military vehicles sitting by the roadside, looking idle but, believe me, checking out every single vehicle on that roadway? Didn't you get a number before you set out on that road and didn't you have to surrender the same number at the Fallbrook exit?

I am not really that familiar with Twenty-Nine Palms - I have only been there once, and honestly don't remember that much about it except that it was miserably hot (and oh so boring!).

MCRD (Marine Corps Recruitment Depot) - That's a San Diego tradition and a base that is dear to all of our San Diegan hearts. Almost anybody can go aboard that base and it is a beauty - most of the buildings hark back to the 30's (I think - if not then they look like they do). I doubt that you are going to find any Marine sharpshooters down there).

Hi Val, when I was in the Corps, Miramar was still a Naval Air Station and there were So Cal Marine Corps Air Stations at El Toro and Tustin, both of which have since closed their doors. MCAS Miramar is now the home of 3rd Marine Air Wing. They hold a great open house/air show every year

The San Diego County Sheriff's Dept. has a training facility that butts right up to Miramar and has a very nice gas house;). We've taken our guys up there more than once for SWAT, gas and crowd control training.

Semper Fi to you Ma'am! ;)

Btw, the HAL captain with the military background is Pieter Visser who still holds a commission in the Royal Netherlands Navy Reserve and, as a result, gets to fly the reserve ensign from his dam ship (same as the Dutch national flag of red, white and blue but with a crown and anchor centered on sa white disk)

nl~res.gif

There are websites that you can have any license plate made that you want (if you're in a state where you don't need a real plate on the front).

I made one for my car with a personal photo. You can upload any picture you want with any words you want on it. So in this case you could upload a pic of your favorite HAL ship. They'll insert the text wherever you want with several choices of fonts.

They're very nice with a thick plastic overlay to protect the plate itself.

You have been lucky, and yes, some of the bases are open bases but as you mentioned all you have to do is check in at the gate. I have a decal - I don't check in at the gate: I just show my ID card and sail right through, with a salute and either "have a great day Maam" or a Marine salute (Oorah - Copper John would know so much better than I how to spell that Marine pride salute).

Now, to show the difference: did you attempt to go aboard any of the bases you mentioned on 9/11? Believe me, you would have truly had a different experience. Many of the bases appear to be "open" right now, but believe me they are not, they are well aware at all times. You mention Camp Pendleton, with which I am very familiar. Did you ever drive through Camp Pendleton from the coast to Fallbrook? Do you remember being warned not to stop at any time on that road through the "weapons" area (for want of a better description), and did you not sort of notice that maybe there were some military vehicles sitting by the roadside, looking idle but, believe me, checking out every single vehicle on that roadway? Didn't you get a number before you set out on that road and didn't you have to surrender the same number at the Fallbrook exit?

I am not really that familiar with Twenty-Nine Palms - I have only been there once, and honestly don't remember that much about it except that it was miserably hot (and oh so boring!).

MCRD (Marine Corps Recruitment Depot) - That's a San Diego tradition and a base that is dear to all of our San Diegan hearts. Almost anybody can go aboard that base and it is a beauty - most of the buildings hark back to the 30's (I think - if not then they look like they do). I doubt that you are going to find any Marine sharpshooters down there).[/quot

Did not go to any bases on 9/11. My son was not in the Marines then, but I am sure it wasn't that easy as it is now. I have gone through the Fallbrook gate and had the same experience as going throught the main gate in Oceanside and Basilone (spel). Have had to fill out a form a couple of time and had to place a number on the dash, other times I have not. Twenty Nine Palms always seem to be a little stricter and I would have to fill out the pass many times. Have you ever visited the museum at MCRD? I believe it is only open on Thursday when the recruits have family day. Wasn't MCRD a navy base first?

Archived