You're charging me for WHAT?!?!??!

Merion_Mom

This very interesting article hit my mailbox today:

http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-advice/you-re-charging-me-for-what-airline-fees-way-up-since-january.html?id=2555947&source=dealalert&value=2008-05-01+00%3A00%3A00&u=3731CBF823

You're charging me for what?!

Airline fees way up since January 1

by Kate Hamman, SmarterTravel.com Staff - April 25, 2008

Since January 1, passengers have been treated to a nonstop roller coaster ride of airline bankruptcies and mergers, fuel surcharges, and imaginative new ways of charging for "perks" that were once free. The devil is in the details, however, and knowing which airlines have added new fees can go a long way in helping you compare apples to apples in your airfare search. Here's a rundown of the new fees assessed by each airline since the calendar turned to 2008.

New airline fees since January 1, 2008:

Air Canada: $25 each way for a second checked bag starting May 15.

AirTran: $10 each way for a second checked bag starting May 15.

Alaska Airlines and Horizon: $15 to book flights through reservation agents or airport sales desk starting May 21.

American Airlines: $25 each way for a second checked bag starting May 12; $3 for snacks, $5 for "fresh light meals" on domestic flights (sandwiches or wraps, no vegetarian options); eliminated online booking bonus of 500 miles for round-trip first- or business-class tickets, and 250 miles for round-trip coach fares.

Continental: $25 each way for a second checked bag starting May 5.

Delta: $25 each way for a second checked bag starting May 5; airline provides complimentary snacks, but some snacks and meals cost an extra $1 to $8, depending on the item.

JetBlue: $10 for extra legroom, and $20 each way for a second checked bag starting June 1.

Northwest: $25 each way for a second checked bag starting May 5.

Spirit: $10 fee for checked luggage reserved online, and a $20 fee for luggage checked at the airport.

Southwest: $25 each way for a third checked bag, and $50 for the fourth through ninth bags.

United: $25 each way for a second checked bag; $5 for snack boxes, with sandwiches and salads available at varying prices; increased ticket change fee; Saturday night stays are now required for tickets in 65 percent of the markets it serves.

US Airways: $25 each way for a second checked bag; eliminated the 500-mile minimum mileage award granted for short-haul flights; will charge between $5 and $30 each way for aisle and window seats starting May 7, matching other carriers.

Virgin America: $25 each way for a second checked bag starting May 15.

JetBlue? $10 for "extra legroom"...what do they do, come and move the seat in front of you...lol :confused:

Northwest has been doing this for years. It is $15 per flight to reserve seats in the Exit rows or the first rows in a new section (behind Front Class, etc.). Since my hubby is 6'4" it is worth it for us :D

###

Why am I NOT surprised???

Actually, my mom just emailed me her flight arrangements for our cruise in August (Yeah! finally sailing Enchantment)...

She was actually charged $6 to CHOOSE her seat... had she opted for the seat near the emergency exit (that extra leg room), it would have been an extra $5 on top of that... unbelievable.

JetBlue? $10 for "extra legroom"...what do they do, come and move the seat in front of you...lol :confused:

Michele: That's way funny... I can see the conversation: "excuse me sir: can you put your tray up for a minute while we move your seat up, you didn't pay for your extra leg room." LOL. Meanwhile, your knees are in your chin.

When we came back from Houston off the Voyager, one of our bags was 2 pounds over the weight limit... our DS grabbed it, unlocked it real quick, took a handfull of clothes out (maybe 5 articles) and shoved it in another bag, and then had them reweigh it. The bag was now 4 pounds under the weight limit! I think it's a scam.... I don't think those few amount of clothes added that much weight. Just another ploy for the airlines to make money. And the funny thing, when we left for the cruise, the airline here in Vegas didn't weigh the luggage at all. They had all the luggage on the scale at once. In Houston, they were sticklers. I think it's all subjective to where you fly in and out of.

But to charge you for leg room? :eek: Or for the second piece of luggage! I'm going to have to rething the luggage thing for sure on the Voyager to the Med. Carry on for sure!

D :)

When we came back from Houston off the Voyager, one of our bags was 2 pounds over the weight limit... our DS grabbed it, unlocked it real quick, took a handfull of clothes out (maybe 5 articles) and shoved it in another bag, and then had them reweigh it. The bag was now 4 pounds under the weight limit! I think it's a scam.... I don't think those few amount of clothes added that much weight. Just another ploy for the airlines to make money. And the funny thing, when we left for the cruise, the airline here in Vegas didn't weigh the luggage at all. They had all the luggage on the scale at once. In Houston, they were sticklers. I think it's all subjective to where you fly in and out of.

{waving my hands in the air} I'll admit it. I've done that too!!!! :D

They weighed the bag, 4lbs over. I said "Wait a minute!" grabbed it and pulled ONE of my hubby's shoes out. It worked! LOL!!!!!

I had an airline fella tell me once that I was over 3lbs. I informed him that I had weighed my bags on a United Parcel scale (true) and it said I was 4 lbs under. That ended that conversation! :D

The bag fee will show up when you check in online. They will ask how many bags you have before you can finish checking in. At least that was how it worked when I did check in for my family a few weeks ago with US Airways.

As for legroom (2 inches) charge, I would guess when you try to get your seat during purchase.

They forgot the airlines that now charge extra if you want to book an aisle seat-since so many want them, they too now cost extra!!:D :confused: :mad:

Nope, they didn't forget:

US Airways: $25 each way for a second checked bag; eliminated the 500-mile minimum mileage award granted for short-haul flights; will charge between $5 and $30 each way for aisle and window seats starting May 7, matching other carriers.

:( :(

I checked USAir's website, and it *does* appear that they don't charge for that second bag on flights to EUROPE. :rolleyes:

United failed to mention their legroom charge. It runs up to $30 each way or for a mere $349 you can purchase this......

Purchase an Economy Plus Accesssm membership

With an Economy Plus Accesssm membership you can enjoy up to five extra inches of legroom on all United, Tedsm and explussm flights worldwide. You'll be able to confirm available Economy Plus seats for yourself and a traveling companion at the time you make your reservations - for an entire year.

trans.gifOne-year Economy Plus Access membership$349 (USD)

Course they don't tell you that you are still squished in 3 across.

Nope, they didn't forget:

:( :(

I checked USAir's website, and it *does* appear that they don't charge for that second bag on flights to EUROPE. :rolleyes:

Sigh... that scared me for a second... You guys should see my face - I'm already starting that worried look for the Med. cruise on Voyager and the airline restrictions on luggage.

Remind me not to ask for extra head room. :eek:

I'm laughing so hard right now, I can't breathe... and I'm at work... :) That was way to funny. The next thing will be for those of us who will be a discounted price to flap our arms - like a discounted cruise when you hear "ROW"... Not my idea of fun or relaxing!

Dona :)

Cruise lines charge different rates for the same cabin based on its location. So why shouldn't airlines do the same?

Instead of having a charge for extra legroom, actually price each seat on the plane differently. Aisle seat at the front of the plane three or four times what window seat at the very back of plane costs, something like that.

I would love to know when the last time they calibrated the scales at the airlines. I bet they are making a fortune off the people whose bags are not really over weight. This is a huge problem in Mexico.

For crying out loud, on many Air Canada flights, all they have are window and aisle seats - they just have 2 seats on each side. There would be no choice if you have to pay extra!

I actually really like that feature. They also have the individual TV's in the seat back in front of you.

I purchased tickets on Monday for our upcoming trip to Fort Lauderdale. I had a choice between Northwest and Spirit, and figured that I would go with Spirit since the flight times were slightly better. Price was nearly identical. After paying for the trip and reviewing my reservation I happen to notice "a deal" on prepaying for checked baggage. The deal was $20 for payment in advance per bag, or $30 per bag at the time of check in, space provided. "This certainly is not for your first checked bag," I thought to myself. I was certain that Spirit was skimmping and reducing the number of free checked items to one. Just to be certain, I decided to call Spirit and confirm my assumption. NOPE! As stated by the OP, Spirit is charging for all checked bags. I don't necessarily care about the $20 per bag (although the ticket agent said the special was actually $10 per bag), but rather the deceptive, penny pinching way that Spirit went about getting extra money from passengers. Spirit,you must be kidding me! I never thought I would feel bad about not flying Northwest.

Pay toilets??

Guess I pass on that second cup of coffee!!! :D :eek: :D

We're at their mercy and they know it. They can do anything they want.....it will come to blows sooner or later and then maybe some regulation will come back into play! Since the deregulation way back when......we have been paying for it since! :eek:

My DH and I have a bet going......with all the mergers, buy outs and bankruptcies, we each say that the airlines will come down to just 2 or 3 airlines. Our bet is when it will happen and who will be left standing....or flying!! :)

Archived