Not Mexico Again!

My husband and I live in California and have cruised to Mexico too many times! We want to take a 7 day cruise to some place different next spring. We love warm weather and all the tourist stuff. My husband talks about Alaska but I am afraid it would be cold (I can't stand the cold!) and maybe not enough FUN things to do. Any advise would be appreciated.:)

You sound like my DH did when I suggested Alaska. He loves the sun, too cold in Alaska, etc., etc.

I convinced him to go--we spent 3 days in Vancouver first and toured the beautiful city. Then we took an inside passage round trip on the Serenade of the Seas. It's been his favorite cruise. The cold is not a winter type cold.

When you are in Glacier Bay, you need a heavy jacket, but it's unbelievable beautiful--you don't feel the cold. Helicopter to the glacier was unreal. Standing on it was magnificent.

Days in towns--not cold--just not beach weather, although there was one afternoon that everyone was out at the pool. (We went in July)

Surreal coming out of dinner and shows and it still be light and sunny out. It's a must--bring layers of clothing and go. You won't regret it. You can do Mexico again next year!

While I would LOVE to see Alaska, I'm more of a warm-weather vacationer, too! If I can't get a tan, I haven't been on vacation!

As far as weather, while it won't be Caribbean-like, it could very well be warm much of the time--they have "heat-waves" up there, too! (or, it could be chilly--damn north!)

You could do Eastern Caribbean from Miami. St. Thomas, St. Maarten, etc. are very different from Mexico. There's also the southern Caribbean. And Alaska, the Mediterannean, the Baltics...do I need to go on?;)

My husband and I live in California and have cruised to Mexico too many times! We want to take a 7 day cruise to some place different next spring. We love warm weather and all the tourist stuff. My husband talks about Alaska but I am afraid it would be cold (I can't stand the cold!) and maybe not enough FUN things to do. Any advise would be appreciated.:)

Could do the Eastern Caribbean out of Port Canaveral on the Glory. It goes to Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Marteen. We enjoyed that itinerary.

Fly to San Juan and take a Southern Carribean Itinerary to Aruba, Curacao, etc.

There are also some very enticing Eastern/Southern Carribbean itineraries out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

Some of these are very reasonably and might make up for the cost in airfare.

We are in San Francisco, so we have done a number of cruises to Mexico too because it is so easy. Love those round trip cruises.

We have only done one to Alaska because we like warmer weather too. Would go again, but not as often as we have done elsewhere.

We have also done many more to the Carribean and a half a dozen to Europe - Baltics, Mediterranean, and Middle East.

Transatlantics are great too a bit cheaper -- very good deal.

If you love cruising you will love any of these itineraries.

Many are more than 7 days though -- which we actually prefer.

Lots of great choices.

Repositioning cruises good value. We have done Alaska and Panama Canal.

Hawaii 1 way is interesting. Ours is 10 days. Fly back.

Try a different itinerary like these. You will find plenty new to see and do.

The Conquest out of Galveston is starting a new Keywest, Freeport and Nassau cruise.

Yuk! the very spots in the caribbean I have no desire to go to again, along with Jamaica. Well I would choose Key West again-but Nassau and Freeport are not good ports.

Why do you keep repeating Mexico. :confused: Is it because it is cheap and easy..... and you do not have to fly very far (or you may be driving from Stockton)

Alaska is a great choice. Hawaii and the Caribbean are also. If you have the time, are willing to spend more time and money, then the Med / Europe, Australia / New Zealand, Panama Canal transit, Tahiti or South America are also great choices. All of them can be booked for warm weather..... and you get to do all that tourist stuff.

Personally.... I find Mexico boring. Each city looks the same to me. If we do Mexico it is just to get away and spend time on the ship. Otherwise, I want to see other more interesting parts of the world.

Why do you keep repeating Mexico. :confused: Is it because it is cheap and easy..... and you do not have to fly very far (or you may be driving from Stockton)

Alaska is a great choice. Hawaii and the Caribbean are also. If you have the time, are willing to spend more time and money, then the Med / Europe, Australia / New Zealand, Panama Canal transit, Tahiti or South America are also great choices. All of them can be booked for warm weather..... and you get to do all that tourist stuff.

Personally.... I find Mexico boring. Each city looks the same to me. If we do Mexico it is just to get away and spend time on the ship. Otherwise, I want to see other more interesting parts of the world.

Well I know we keep repeating the caribbean because it is cheaper for us where we live. I imagine most people cost does come into it and cannot splurge every year on vacation. I know we can only do it every 4 or 5 years.

Now I just love being on a cruiseship so yes I would even cruise to Nassau, I would just stay on ship but no way would I fly from California to Texas (or Georgia to Texas) to board a ship that only went to Nassau, Freeport and Keywest, espcially if I wanted to see something differant like the OP.

So many carribean islands are much nicer then Nasau and Freeport.

The OP would do better to fly to FL to board a crusieship. I imagine also the OP would even enjoy Cozumel for one of the ports since that part of Mexico is not where they are cruising from California. It owuld be a new port.

To the OP, although Alaska was VERY differant from warm tropical weather, Alaska has it's own natural beauty and losts of wildlife to be seen. Although your cruise will have a differant "feel" it is still well worth seeing.

Why not go to Alaska and then next year go back to the Mexican Riveria? I

think you would enjoy the change.

Why do you keep repeating Mexico. :confused: Is it because it is cheap and easy..... and you do not have to fly very far....

Not "cheap", the per day per person cost is about the same as other routes we have done.

Easy, by far yes. get a friend or realative to drop us off and pick up, don't have to pay for a week of parking a car somewhere, a whole 20 minute ride to Long Beach (or 25 to San Pedro), no need to worry about hotel stays before or after the cruise, take as many bags as we want and I can leave my shoes on since there is no plane.

HOWEVER, boring is not the right word. Dull, depressing and tourist trap do come to mind. Last time we didn't get off the ship in P.V., in Mazatlan we went to a nice spot for lunch (Tony's On The Beach) and returned to the ship right after and in Cabo we went to the flea market at the pier for 30 minutes and got right back on the tender.

We look at cruising as a package vacation. Travel, entertainment, lodging and food. Do the math per person per day. Can't think of a land based vacation that can match it.

Not "cheap", the per day per person cost is about the same as other routes we have done.

I agree. Some of the Mexico and Caribbean trips have been almost as expensive per day on the ship as our Med / Australia / British Isles / Tahiti for instance. Where the expenses differ are the flight costs and pre / post cruise stays.

Easy, by far yes. get a friend or relative to drop us off and pick up, don't have to pay for a week of parking a car somewhere, a whole 20 minute ride to Long Beach (or 25 to San Pedro), no need to worry about hotel stays before or after the cruise, take as many bags as we want and I can leave my shoes on since there is no plane..

That is of course the easiest way to go. We have found a local Park / Stay / Fly hotel that makes the airport experience much easier and cheaper (parking a vehicle for an extended period).

HOWEVER, boring is not the right word. Dull, depressing and tourist trap do come to mind. Last time we didn't get off the ship in P.V., in Mazatlan we went to a nice spot for lunch (Tony's On The Beach) and returned to the ship right after and in Cabo we went to the flea market at the pier for 30 minutes and got right back on the tender. .

We do too... but like the option of seeing new and different areas of the world. We will do Mexico again.... but it will be just to enjoy the ship. I could care less about seeing Cabo again....... But Rome.... now that is worth returning to.

We look at cruising as a package vacation. Travel, entertainment, lodging and food. Do the math per person per day. Can't think of a land based vacation that can match it.

Yup.... It is when you pencil it out..... Transportation / Food / Entertainment / Travel..... all wrapped up together. And.... only have to unpack once.

We have done MR twice. We were on CCL Spirit and did the Aca, Itxtapa, Manzanillo route. Ixtapa's beach is about the only thing I would go back for. We really do this cruise just because I am so IN LOVE with San Diego, so we stay there for a few days pre and post cruise.

If you "have the time" have you ever thought of either a repo or a B2B cruise starting on repo? We did the Crown repo last year and are booked on the CB for this year. Very nice for us because we live "right here" near the cruise terminal in Brooklyn and we just have to fly home from SJ. They are "very reasonable." You could do the NY-SJ, stay on the ship and do SJ-SJ and fly home. :confused: :D

their is a new cruise from princess from los angeles to vancouver stopping in santa barbara San Francisco Seattle Victoria May 09,2009 check in out.

Archived