Strange Attire on the ship

Hi DeadPirateRobert,

I had hoped this would all just die down. What was said in humor is really bugging me now because I think it was misunderstood. I do not go out to deliberately take photos of strangers or ladies making adjustments to their attire.

My 70-300 mm lens can be used as a walk-around general purpose lens and as a zoom lens for drawing things closer. I have taken shots of my wife around the pool area and when I go to look at the shot later, in the background, sure enough, someone is making adjustments to their bathing attire. Is it funny? Without meaning to get a candid shot of the background person, yes, maybe. On the other hand, it messes up a shot of my wife.

The 50-500 lens is used to pull in far away objects. I use it around here on birds in the woods. I can zoom in on finches, woodpeckers, etc. On the cruises, I always hope to find a whale someday.

Hope that will help folks understand me a little better. I am not some pervert trying to catch someone going commando.

Lee

As a lover of an old fashioned 35mm with a large lense, I understand totally. My digital, although nice because it isn't cumbersome and heavy does not give me the same type of photos I get with my trusty old heavyweight 35mm. It's very easy when taking photos even without a zoom, to inadvertantly catch something in the background that you weren't even paying attention to. Anyone who takes a lot of pictures understands that as the phtotographer, you miss so much while having your face behind the lense because you are only focusing on your subject...and sometimes get a real surprise when you look at the photos later.

Since this thread is about what people wear and don't wear on a cruise, this pic was circulated last year here. Warning for those that get offended at crude/rude at the naked truth but things like this do go on on cruise lines. Open at your own risk of being offended, or laugh if you find it funny.

link

shoot!! I wanted to laugh or get offended but the link didn't work for me.

OMG! This is hilarious! This has got to be one of the best threads I've ever read on CruiseCritic! I've never laughed so hard in my life!

We were on the Pride, and there was this couple in their 70's maybe 80's, and they wore square dancing outfits the whole cruise, the same outfits, never changing. Everywhere we went, there they were ready to square dance. We nicknamed them the "Squares." We always come up with nicknames for off the wall people we see on cruises.

Sorry, another hijack here, but we do the nickname thing too! Like this ultra skinny, bones sticking out girl was called, of course, "Bones". We saw her everywhere with her gross skeleton arms!

Hi DeadPirateRobert,

I had hoped this would all just die down. What was said in humor is really bugging me now because I think it was misunderstood. I do not go out to deliberately take photos of strangers or ladies making adjustments to their attire.

My 70-300 mm lens can be used as a walk-around general purpose lens and as a zoom lens for drawing things closer. I have taken shots of my wife around the pool area and when I go to look at the shot later, in the background, sure enough, someone is making adjustments to their bathing attire. Is it funny? Without meaning to get a candid shot of the background person, yes, maybe. On the other hand, it messes up a shot of my wife.

IThe 50-500 lens is used to pull in far away objects. I use it around here on birds in the woods. I can zoom in on finches, woodpeckers, etc. On the cruises, I always hope to find a whale someday.

Hope that will help folks understand me a little better. I am not some pervert trying to catch someone going commando.

Lee

I think you have explained your intentions very clearly and enough times already. Some will get it,, some never will.. Ohh Well

Uhhh, there's no difference in me having pictures of fat people on a cruise, than you sitting here reading this whole thread and LYAO at what someone is wearing.

/just saying

Too bad you aren't fat, you would probably have a better personality.

/just saying

Too bad you aren't fat, you would probably have a better personality.

/just saying

"Fat people got no reason to..."

My bad, that was "Short people got no reason.." But at any rate; short, fat people are really in trouble!

I was on a cruise a few years ago (3 nighter). On formal night, there was a group - maybe 4 guys and 4 girls - dressed like "pimps ' ho's." Oh my God, they were too much. They looked wonderful! At first, we thought they really were "pimps 'n ho's". But they started talking to us and told us they thought it would be fun to dress like that. They got their stuff mostly at used clothing stores, etc. As they walked around, they drew a crowd and got a lot of applause. Also drew crowds as they were getting their "formal" pics taken. The guys looked better than the girls. We thought they were very entertaining.

Hi DeadPirateRobert,

<<<snippage>>>

Lee

Lee, don't fret. Some get it, some don't. Too many paranoid people these days, which leads to all sorts of stupid Big Brother regulations and laws. Next thing you know, we're all going to have to wear burkhas and head wraps...

Simple thing is, adjuster -OR- commando beware: you never know who maybe be looking or where a camera might be aimed... you could be immortalized on film forever (or posted up on a website somewhere...).

A lady at our table was wearing a bustier on formal night and she was really busty and the bustier was one of those puch up kind. Her tatas were so pushed up, the dark circle around her nibblies was showing. It was rather distracting.

Some people are so nasty, and your very kind to say distracting.....for me it would have been "throughly grossed out"! This reminds me of a friend I have, actually more of an aquaintance. But she has large breasts and constantly wears the booby shirts, which I'm sure is a ploy to distract people away from her face. But its totally inappropriate and she has been sent home more than once from work. When she was complaining I finally had the courage to tell her I agree thats not something for work, and about the less is more story. :D AND the people that dress that way it only makes them look insecure because they crave that attention. As for cruises we have also seen a few. I look at it this way, if they want to make asses of themselves its their right as long as its allowed. The one with no underwear I would have reported because of the gross out factor and children on board, I probably would have told her she forgot something before she left her cabin or something of that sort. :o

This past Feb on Freedom while we were at the drill, out comes 2 guys in thongs. Both their butts were completely naked. It was disgusting. They weren't kids. Probably in 40's. Walked right by me. Everyone was laughing at them. They also tried going to the lounge at nite. They kicked them out. Some people will do anything for attention.

KCPlayer21,

I wonder about people who wonder about people. :D He doesn't need permission to take pictures of people in public areas of a ship. :rolleyes:

I was going to say that also, you can take a picture of anyone or anything in a public place!

Hi KCPlayer21,

I do walk around with a camera around my neck, usually with a 70-300mm lens or the 18-200mm vibration reduction lens. I normally zoom in on my wife or on our last cruise the couple who went with us. I have sometimes gotten folks in the background, making adjustments to their clothing.

I realize that my prior comment, although made in jest, might seem "creepy" to some. I did mean it in jest, that is why the big grins were attached. And as PaulMedik pointed out, permission is not needed in public places. I am not one to go pick out a spot on deck and zoom in all day on unsuspecting people. I much rather take photos of my family and friends. "Candid photos" while funny, can get one in trouble as well!

Thanks for your viewpoint. I hope I have addressed your concerns.

Peace,

Lee

Last weekend our friends went to a country music concert, and there was a rather large woman in very low cut jeans sitting in front of her. All she saw was butt crack, and took the picture from her cell phone to show everyone. She'll probably email it to all her friends, and it was actually pretty gross and hysterical. But the point is, if you make a specticle of yourself you may become public folly.

I don't know if I responded before or not but on our cruise on the Fascination we saw a woman on the Lido deck after Formal night dressed in biker gear; black leather pants and vest over a print t-shirt. I honestly don't know if she wore that at dinner but thinking that that is someone's idea of "formal wear" was funny.

But she has large breasts and constantly wears the booby shirts, which I'm sure is a ploy to distract people away from her face.

I could be wrong, but I think I detect a tad bit of envy here... :rolleyes:

So you wouldn't mind a stranger, on the ship, taking pictures of your kids or taking pictures of your wife while she was sunbathing in her swimsuit by the pool? What if you saw this person taking pictures of your family every day? You wouldn't have a problem with that, since you all are in the public areas of the ship?

KCPlayer21,

Pics of DW sunbathing are fine. Pics of my kids are fine. Taking pics 'every day' would be a problem. I don't think that's what we were talking about though. ;)

Missnoopygirl, That was the funniest flamingo I've ever seen!!! (took me a minute to figure out what I was looking at!!!:eek: )I'll have to get one for DH for our upcoming cruise!!!!!!!LOL

I don't remember anywhere on Carnival's site saying you can't wear a flamingo in the dining room...

Archived