topless sunbathing

cruisin73

Just got off the CB on May 15. My DH was MIA for a while. When he finally came back to the room, I asked him where he had been. He said up on deck, watching a woman sunbathe topless. I thought to myself, "That's nice. At least he's not going to bother me now!" LOL

Kind of sad how the remarks on this thread once again reflect how we Americans are not grown up enough to handle top free women. :(

Being "grown up" is not the issue. If you want to be "grown up", cover yourself up when you are in public. Be considerate, and expose yourself only inside the privacy of your own cabin (not an open balcony).

As far as I am concerned, exposing part of your body that is generally considered an "intimate part" is just exhibitionism or plain "showing off". Show it off to those that care, not to those who don't. We don't want to look, and you are difficult to avoid when you are displaying body parts on the pool deck.

There are kids on these cruises, along with adults who do not care to gaze at uncovered breasts. Call it what you want, but it makes me uncomfortable -- and I am NOT, by any stretch of the word, a prude. Just asking for some courtesy.

If you are so inclined, please choose a cruise ship with a desigated deck for topless sunbathing. That way, those of us who don't care to have our children's eyes (and our own) looking down at your body can choose to avoid you. You can do your thing, we'll do ours.

No offense intended, just my point of view. I venture to guess that it is not just my own, but other's, as well.

I never thought about the whole banana hammock issue. That alone may make me want to avoid a Med cruise. :eek:

The med cruises are so port-intensive that there isn't a lot of time to be at the pool anyway, so it isn't much of an issue.

We are considering taking a priness cruise in January. Is there topless sunbathing allowed on any of the decks? If not can I sunbath topless on my balcony?

Now, if there were not really a lot of older guys salivating over this thought as the OP described it--would this thread really still be going?? Do you think how she/or perhaps he (now wouldn't that be great fun?) might have constructed this question to lead you on?

Guys, I made this bet to myself that this thread would still be going a month later, and I would like to tell you--well, what can I say? I WIN!!!

boy oh boy topless sunbathing really does get peoples interest.

ok to clarify I am a FEMALE. If Princess doesn't allow topless sunbathing on the decks then I certainly wouldn't want to offend anyone and I wouldn't do it. However I really don't see a problem with topless sunbathing on my balcony. If a 5,10 or 15 year old boy wants to look at me while I am on MY balcony than I guess he has every right to. My son has seen his mommy naked and his daddy naked so I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be shocked by seeing some other man sunbathing naked.

I guess I'm curious to know that if your son were 15 or even 18, with friends over, would you and your DH still walk around the house nude? I could see where your son could become quite popular but I bet your son's friends' parents might object to their kids going to homes where adults walk around nude or topless. That's pretty equivalent to your being topless on a Princess ship, even on "your" balcony. It's still a pretty public spot.

Being "grown up" is not the issue. If you want to be "grown up", cover yourself up when you are in public. Be considerate, and expose yourself only inside the privacy of your own cabin (not an open balcony).

As far as I am concerned, exposing part of your body that is generally considered an "intimate part" is just exhibitionism or plain "showing off". Show it off to those that care, not to those who don't. We don't want to look, and you are difficult to avoid when you are displaying body parts on the pool deck.

There are kids on these cruises, along with adults who do not care to gaze at uncovered breasts. Call it what you want, but it makes me uncomfortable -- and I am NOT, by any stretch of the word, a prude. Just asking for some courtesy.

If you are so inclined, please choose a cruise ship with a desigated deck for topless sunbathing. That way, those of us who don't care to have our children's eyes (and our own) looking down at your body can choose to avoid you. You can do your thing, we'll do ours.

No offense intended, just my point of view. I venture to guess that it is not just my own, but other's, as well.

Count me as among the "others." :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasetf viewpost.gif

Kind of sad how the remarks on this thread once again reflect how we Americans are not grown up enough to handle top free women. :(

Thanks for making my point....... We Americans, for the most part, can not handle nudity and continue to be ashamed of our bodies...... and make our children ashamed of theirs. ;)

I totally agree. I also have teenage daughters. Would I want them doing it? NO!! How do you teach them that it's OK on a ship, but not at home with a boyfriend?

I also have a friend who had skin cancer. She had to have a huge area of skin removed near her neck. I would never risk getting skin cancer on my breasts!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasetf viewpost.gif

Thanks for making my point....... We Americans, for the most part, can not handle nudity and continue to be ashamed of our bodies...... and make our children ashamed of theirs. ;)

It might sound sad to you, but no sadder than public displays of partial or full nudity at inappropriate times do to me, as well as some/most of us Americans. IMHO!

It is the way most of us were brought up, it is something most of us were taught NOT to do, so after it being beaten into our brains since berth, it is impossible to have a few people try to explain to most of us that it is perfectly acceptable behavior.

Yes, it does offend many people onboard a cruise ship, that is fact and no way around it.

It might sound sad to you, but no sadder than public displays of partial or full nudity at inappropriate times do to me, as well as some/most of us Americans. IMHO!

It is the way most of us were brought up, it is something most of us were taught NOT to do, so after it being beaten into our brains since berth, it is impossible to have a few people try to explain to most of us that it is perfectly acceptable behavior.

Yes, it does offend many people on-board a cruise ship, that is fact and no way around it.

In my mind it is very similar, though certainly to a much lesser degree, to the repressive societies that demand and persecute women who do not conform to wearing a burka.

It may not be your choice to participate, but because it has been "beaten into you since birth" you are putting your morals on other people's freedom of choice to say sunbathe top-free on their balcony.

In my mind it is very similar, though certainly to a much lesser degree, to the repressive societies that demand and persecute women who do not conform to wearing a burka.

It may not be your choice to participate, but because it has been "beaten into you since birth" you are putting your morals on other people's freedom of choice to say sunbathe top-free on their balcony.

I brought my DH into this discussion and got his thoughts on this. He said and I quote, " that is the problem with society today, the morals are being thrown out the window. The day I see my wife hanging her boobs out for the whole world to see, that's the day your not who I thought I married. I can't imagine any man wanting his wife's boobs looked at by other people unless he's a pervert.

Only a exhibitionist and dumb guy would go along with this. There are somethings that are private with your body and this is one of them."

OK, this is a man point of view.

This is Princess Stephanie of Monaco. She is only 42. No doubt, as a European Princess, she has sunbathed topless many times. Look at her leathery face, can you imagine what her boobs look like? On a more serious note, I enjoyed sunbathing as a teenager (never topless, LOL!) These days I use sunscreen every day and try to avoid the sun whenever possible, although I work outdoors, I wear a hat and try to cover up. I do not have leathery skin like the lovely Princess Stephanie, but I have had skin cancer twice. Last year I missed two months of work while recovering from surgery to remove a basal cell carcinoma from my lower eyelid and the subsequent plastic surgery to repair the area. This was not fun. I cannot imagine having a skin cancer removed from my boobs, or having them look wrinkled and leathery. Anyway, just a reminder to think twice about allowing the sun to shine on your birthday suit. My advice is to wear a good sunscreen and cover up when you can! When you are 50 and you look younger than your friends, you will thank me!

I brought my DH into this discussion and got his thoughts on this. He said and I quote, " that is the problem with society today, the morals are being thrown out the window. The day I see my wife hanging her boobs out for the whole world to see, that's the day your not who I thought I married. I can't imagine any man wanting his wife's boobs looked at by other people unless he's a pervert.

Only a exhibitionist and dumb guy would go along with this. There are somethings that are private with your body and this is one of them."

Very interesting.... and probably unfortunately, a very pervasive response in our society. To me this means your husband views your "boobs" as his possession to control.

If I put that on my wife (regardless if she chose to go topless or not) her view would be.... they are mine.....not yours. ;)

Again.... it is a matter of freedom of choice. And... you certainly are free to make the choice not to "go European".

As far as "morals"... I think a better term would be "societal repression".

Your husband appears to be assuming that the "dumb guy" must be either "wanting" or "going along with" his wife's decision to sunbathe topless in public view, as if it's an activity that requires a man's consultation and approval. I'd submit to you - and this is from another man's perspective - that some guys simply pick their battles wisely, have a sense of self-preservation and prefer not to sleep on a sofa. Just sayin'.

Anyway, not every culture sexualizes breasts. As others have pointed out, in many countries it would not be considered offensive for a woman to bare theirs in a public setting, and for them there is no moral issue. If you truly worry that this behavior in particular is contributing to the ills of society, you probably need to re-evaluate the world you're currently living in.

If Princess specifically prohibits topless sunbathing in public view, however, then there isn't really any debate. Do so on your balcony, fine, but keep a bit off hull above you so that someone's precious snowflake doesn't happen catch a glimpse. Teaching kids about human anatomy is the internet's job, after all.

Anyway, not every culture sexualizes breasts. As others have pointed out, in many countries it would not be considered offensive for a woman to bare theirs in a public setting, and for them there is no moral issue. If you truly worry that this behavior in particular is contributing to the ills of society, you probably need to re-evaluate the world you're currently living in.

Exactly. Why does nudity have to be equated with sex? Why would "respecting your body" be equated with covering it up, as one earlier poster suggests? Why would it be okay to breastfeed in public but not sunbathe?

For the record, I wouldn't go topless myself, but it doesn't bother me in the least if others do and if it's not prohibited. There's a time and a place for everything...... Wouldn't really want to see that at my dinner table on formal night, for instance. (But then, if I were to say that on an anti-formal wear thread, I'd be accused of being "shallow" because I've noticed what someone else is -- or in this case, is not -- wearing.) :rolleyes:

So if someone wears a teeny-tiny bikini top, that is acceptable, but leaving off the top (that really leaves nothing to the imagination) is offensive? I just wanted to get that straight.

And to the previous poster - you might see some of it in the dining room on formal night as some of those dresses are very low cut.

I avoid the sun since I tend to burn. But I'm not offended by what others choose to do.

What a buncha' road apples...:rolleyes:

Toto, I can tell you have been on a LOT of ships! :D

Opps! I didn't even realize I spelled that incorrectly until you mentioned it. I guess your right, too many cruises have you thinking in cruise terms instead of actual. ROFL Sorry bout that. :o :o

Archived