topless sunbathing

cruisin73

Education about someone's body is one thing, but to a small child that is not used to this, it can be a problem. And I do not think this is going to change in the U.S. anytime soon.

Just curious what problem would be caused? My DS has seen topless sunbathers in Europe at a young age. It didn't faze him at all and he wasn't pointing, gawking, or asking questions. Sometimes I think younger kids are more accepting than adults!

Of course, being 16 now, he might have a bit of a different reaction; still, I think on some level he realizes that different people do things different ways and a body is just a body.

it is sad to see americans are such old fashion when it comes to sunbathing. I wish Princess had a real deck to go topless. I would of loved it on my last criises. I have heard Celebrity has one and will be looking for it next Jan.

It has nothing to do with us Americans not being grown up. It is the fact that children in the U.S. are not used to this sort of thing, and really do not need a crash coarse in anatomy. ;) There are many many families that sail on Princess. Education about someone's body is one thing, but to a small child that is not used to this, it can be a problem. And I do not think this is going to change in the U.S. anytime soon.

This is just another one of those episodes where respect for other passengers onboard, especially children, comes into play IMHO!

AMEN sister.

I put this particular question right up there with several others....

Q. Jeans in the dining room? ("Well, everyone here in the northwest wears jeans")

A. The ship isn't necessarily in the northwest

Q. Shorts in the dining room? ("Everyone in Arizona does it")

A. The ship isn't necessarily in Arizona!

Q. Can I sunbathe topless onboard? ("It's very European")

A. Then do it in Europe (and don't dissect American cultures because of it).

A cruise ship is an enormous cross-culture of people confined in a floating "mini-state". Please use common sense in sunbathing topless, and make your choice based on not only what you are comfortable with, but also considering those around you (who may not have a choice).

My DS has seen topless sunbathers in Europe at a young age. It didn't faze him at all and he wasn't pointing, gawking, or asking questions. Sometimes I think younger kids are more accepting than adults!

That also happened to me. Scarred for life addicted to be on CruiseCritic 24/7

Do it in the privacy of your own (in hull) balcony, if you have to, but please don't let this spread to the open decks - some of the women I have seen bathing topless should really have kept them hidden. Personally I would never risk exposing my n**ples to the slightest chance of sunburn:eek: :eek:

Just as an aside, I think it is truly sad that people get so hung up over public nudity. Just being topless is not a crime, and won't cause tooth decay or moral decrepitude.

On topic, I plan on topless sunbathing on my balcony, given a bit of sun and warm enough temps that I won't turn blue! I realize that the bridge will be able to see me. Oh Well. If they've never seen it before, then it's about time they do! :p

As far as topless sunbathing in the pool area, if it was nearly deserted OR there was a bunch of people that were pretty mellow (oh, and there IS an adults-only pool on Princess, btw), maybe I would, but only for a short time, as I burn easily.

You have a right to your opinion, but others have the right to disagree. Neither one is necessarily "correct." Life is not about just doing what we want, but having consideration for those around us. The golden rule is a good one to follow.

Hi folks,

Nice to see folks have got the important stuff covered, are we talking prices,ports of call, no the size of bikinis or the lac kof them.

yours Shogun

Yeah, the OP's question was answered along time ago...:)

Keep in mind the teens and the camera/video phones. My nephews (age 16 & 17) photo and video EVERYTHING. And post it all over the web, you tube,etc.

They think they are creative and humorous ~ sometimes yes, sometimes no, but they have caused unpleasantness on more than one occassion.

You can never be sure where those pics will go!

I was surprised to see it printed in black and white in our Princess Patter (Sea Princess last week) that nude sunbathing was not permitted. I can't remember whether it stated on the open decks or if it included balconys.

It was the first time I had seen it written in the Patter in my 11 cruises. I wondered if it was because it was a Mediterranean cruise with 90% of the passengers being European.....but then I would have thought nude sunbathing would faze them less.

Personally I think it's sad that some people think that children will be harmed by seeing a nude body. Surely "a lesson in anatomy" should never be necessary......a child should grow up knowing about human bodies naturally.

JMO! :)

It has nothing to do with us Americans not being grown up. It is the fact that children in the U.S. are not used to this sort of thing, and really do not need a crash coarse in anatomy. ;) There are many many families that sail on Princess. Education about someone's body is one thing, but to a small child that is not used to this, it can be a problem. And I do not think this is going to change in the U.S. anytime soon.

This is just another one of those episodes where respect for other passengers onboard, especially children, comes into play IMHO!

Anyone who knows anything about children knows how innocent they are with nudity.

We adults have to teach them to be ashamed of their bodies. :(

If you are worried about it, than you shouldn't. At some point in life you should know when it is appropriate or not. It's called judgement. If you have to ask, then you are in doubt, and you shouldn't do it. If you feel confident about it, then you shouldn't have to ask.

Good advice. ;) I have nothing against topless bathing, but if the cruise line does not set aside a specific place for it, then you might be asked to put your top back on if it offends fellow passengers. Just be prepared for that and don't get upset if they ask to put it back on.

to answer some of your question I am female ha ha but good question though

I'm just thinking if I'm on MY balcony whether covered or not should it matter if I go topless? I mean I did pay for that balcony didn't I? Don't really like carnival so don't really want to go there. I am bringing my 7 year old so thinking celebrity isn't really an option don't think there kids program is good if they have one at all.

I do not have an issue with nudity, but something that you may want to consider...if you've paid for your balcony (which you certainly have) and want to sunbathe topless there and it doesn't matter to you if a 5, 10 or 15 year old boy on the deck above sees you doing so...will you feel the same way if there is a man sunbathing nude on the deck below for your 7 year old daughter to see?

to answer some of your question I am female ha ha but good question though

I'm just thinking if I'm on MY balcony whether covered or not should it matter if I go topless? I mean I did pay for that balcony didn't I? Don't really like carnival so don't really want to go there. I am bringing my 7 year old so thinking celebrity isn't really an option don't think there kids program is good if they have one at all.

I do not have an issue with nudity, but something that you may want to consider...if you've paid for your balcony (which you certainly have) and want to sunbathe topless there and it doesn't matter to you if a 5, 10 or 15 year old boy on the deck above sees you doing so...will you feel the same way if there is a man sunbathing nude on the deck below for your 7 year old daughter to see? (oops, I just noticed that perhaps it is not a daughter...but that does help to make my point)

I have had Riviera and Aloha deck balcony cabins. Depending on how you're sitting outside, you can be out of sight of pax and the bridge with full privacy. And there were plenty of times the balcony had full sun.

Yes, Dolphin deck has more exposed balcony, but isn't part if it covered above? So you could sit closer to the door for privacy?

Enjoy the sun and feel its warmth on you where it doesn't get to shine often!

Yes, Dolphin deck has more exposed balcony, but isn't part if it covered above? So you could sit closer to the door for privacy?

Enjoy the sun and feel its warmth on you where it doesn't get to shine often!

Our Dolphin balcony on CB was completely exposed...

Hi Folks,

The topic always comes up, is that comes off , not sure which applies here,

if cruising the med with more EU folk rather than US folk, not going top less will make you stand out more.

While if in the Carbi not so common, same thing holds true to men in thongs to men in shorts.

Its your holiday do what you want.

yours Shogun

I never thought about the whole banana hammock issue. That alone may make me want to avoid a Med cruise. :eek:

Archived