Brillance OTS: 22 June 2008- second sitting closed. Only 1st sitting opened! really?

Hi!

I've just booked the cruise on the BOTS out of Barcelona (12 days) on June 22nd. The TA said that the second sitting is closed. Only the main (first) sitting is opened.

I know it's just 32 days before departure... the TA who spoke to the RCL rep said that it in the end I would have to talk to the M D'... But from a previous experience -a summer cruise in the Med - every body wanted to eat late.... we got stuck to 1st sitting.

We're not really keen on 1st sitting. having dinner at 6:30 pm is too early! It would ruin our cruise!

Do you think there will be a waiting list? What are our chances of being effectively assigned to late sitting? We are only two people.

Any experience about this?

Thanks for your advice.

Jacques O, Paris

If they are not waitlisting you for second seating, but say it's closed, then have your travel agent keep calling them several times a week to see if there have been any cancellations with late seating.

Your other alternative is to not eat in the dining room, but go to the Windjammer and the specialty restaurants whenever you want.

European cruises draw local passengers, and Europeans eat dinner later than we do in the U.S. Second seating is very popular on the European cruises.

Keep checking and have a back-up plan, even if it's to pay more and eat in the specialty restaurants. The Windjammer is very nice at night: they "dress" it up pretty well, and the food is mostly what's in the the dining room.

Then, when you get on board the first day, go to the Maitre 'd around 1PM, and ask to be changed or waitlisted for second seating, keeping your Plan B going until that happens. Lots of shuffling around in the dining room the first few nights.

Good luck!

Just about everyone prefers late seating on European itineraries due to extended time in port. Most people don't want to cut short their time in Rome, Florence, etc. in order to get back to the ship for dinner.

Good luck - maybe something will work out. The good news is that you'll be cruising in a month!

Wait a minute the Brilliance is testing or implementing the Anytime Dining at the moment and since it has gotten the green light for fleetwide implementation it is possible that that is why you cannot get anything. This anytime business requires part of the dining room in some cases entire floors of the main dining room be blocked off for anytime diners and since dining room space has not miraculously doubled there is not going to be space for all to enjoy traditional dining - you might just be in that boat. If you don't want to try this anytime dining then you might have to take your chance and see if the M'd has any space in the late tradional once you get onboard - as it is possible that some now booked under trational will want to try this any time dinning.

Just go to the dining room when you board, and do get put on a wait-list. They really do want the passengers to be happy and will do all they can to get you into the time you want. If not by night 1, I'll bet you'll get it by the 2nd dinner.

Just wanted to let you know that I asked to be waitlisted for another dinner seating on my sailing, and I didn't expect to get it, but I was checking my reservation and I noticed that they had changed me to what I wanted. I didn't call or anything, they just changed it to my waitlisted choice.

Hi Marci22

Your message gives me hope! I still haven't my booking reservation, and can't check the booking on line (or the reference given to me is wrong).

Some people mentionned that My Own Dining is to be implemented on the BOTS, so maybe there is only one sitting open for the time being.... We'll see. After all, if we can't be assigned to second sitting, we'll try My Own Dining, or the Windjammer, which is said to be quite good!

Still, I'll have to speak to the Maitre D'h when boarding the ship... if he is available!

Jacques O

Yes, I only booked 6 weeks out so I didn't think they would be able to change my dining time.

Make sure you are on the waitlist -now-, and also go to the dining room when you first get onboard to speak to the maitre d'. Good luck!~

We just sailed b2b on the Navigator from Barcelona. We were told that the late seating is "reserved for the Spanish guests as it is their custom to eat at 9pm". It didn't affect me as we usually ate Windjammer anyway, but there were some irate British passengers onboard who didn't appreciate being told that.

we did this cruise last summer. second dinning, which we had --was fully booked and those on main dinning who wanted second didn't have much luck to change dinning times--at least that is what we heard. we were told by many passengers in this position--the Windgammer served what was offered in the dinning room--and you got to try different items--not being locked into one dinner item. You can also eat as soon as you arrive back on the ship and then wash up for night. I wish we had done that. Sometimes eatting that late was hard because the daily shore excursions were so exhausting and we left early in the AM. If I had it to do again--thats what I would do and only eat in the dinning room on sea days. Don't let it ruin your cruise. It was all about getting out there and the wonderful adventure on shore. However, we had that planned out with private tour guides--the only way to go. It was the best vacation we have ever had due to careful planning--it was all about the adventure.

We just sailed b2b on the Navigator from Barcelona. We were told that the late seating is "reserved for the Spanish guests as it is their custom to eat at 9pm". It didn't affect me as we usually ate Windjammer anyway, but there were some irate British passengers onboard who didn't appreciate being told that.

I would have been unhappy with that response, too.

It sounds like overall, RC is trying to cater to the demographic that is sailing from each particular port (see immersion threads). When business gets tough one has to make some hard choices, & I guess they want to guarantee a loyal customer base at the ports of departure.

I would accept the facts as they have been given to you. I would take the suggestion to speak with the Maitre'd as soon as you board.

I would also accept the fact that I may end up with 1st seating, therefore my money is wasted because my cruise would be ruined.

Jacques,

We will be sailing with you on this cruise. I had requested late dining as well and was assigned main because we too booked just about a week ago. I have since found out about My Time Dining and have signed up for that. All you have to do is prepay your gratuities. What I did as a fail safe though if we had to keep main seating, was to book the alternative restaurants for two of the nights that I knew we would be getting back from shore late - Florence and Rome - Figuring that if we had to eat in the Windjammer one night, that would be okay. All the other evenings (except for for the first night out) shouldn't be a problem if we had to eat early because they would either be sea days or less intensive port days. Try to sign up for My Time Dining and if that doesn't work, maybe my suggestion here will. See you on board! Angela

Archived