Who likes the singing waiters?

babywewe

I vote for it to go away too. I don't need to be entertained 24/7 on a cruise, I just want to eat my dinner, talk with my family or friends, or just be quiet. It really is annoying, and I've been on several cruises, and it's the SOS every cruise at dinner time.

I see people get very excited on this board about the singing waiters. Maybe I missed something... maybe at some point the waiters sang and danced more (and better)...

I just don't get it. I didn't find it entertaining. It was as hokey as a sweet 16 DJ. AND I felt bad for the waiters as they had tables to get to and things to do...

I can pass on singing waiters. Also seen more baked alaska parades than I have wanted to see too. :rolleyes:

The diners waving their napkins, the waiters dancing on the pedestals - it is like that RCC commercial - it even gets my 2 teens to smile! It is a fun ship! While we enjoy the elegance of dining with tableclothes, glassware and silverware, and eating as a family (all of which we do way too infrequently at home) there is something about the silliness that gets the most uptight person loosened up and "into" it. Our dining room was rocking with people singing, dancing - in fact, we were shocked at how many tables emptied out so people could participate on our last cruise. We vote to keep it - but I guess if they go to flexible dining times, those who don't like it can time their meals to miss it! (we would stay traditional dining times - but that is a whole other argument on another thread - LOL)

We like it, so our vote would be to keep it. If the wait staff doesn't like it, they appear to us to be having a good time while dancing and singing, and like someone else mentioned, if they don't like doing it, they are pretty good actors.

Keep the Dancing & Singing, we like it!!!

Matt

I love it...I vote to keep it. I have never noticed or felt the service was disrupted. Its fun, festive, it wakes you up and gives you something to talk about. I wold not like it if I were at a restraunt on land, but that is a totally different situation. I am surprised at all the get rid of it responses on here. Especially with so many responses in other threads telling people to lighten up, your on vacation, have fun, dont be so serious and so on. I guess the supper club or room service are always quiet, intimate options.

Those of you don't like it, have you looked around and watched the faces of the children? They light up.. I absolutely love watching them.

Sometimes I am in the mood and another nights it might annoy me a little but than I look around and see the smiles, clapping and singing and it reminds me that what I want is not the end all and be all of the world.

The thing about the complaining about this is unless you are new to Carnival you know it is going to be what it is.. why complain? Just join in and fake it to you make it.

I can't wait to enjoy that experience in a few days!

We enjoy the waitstaff entertaining us. It always adds fun and I've constantly been surprised at how talented some of the waitstaff is.

I hope it is always a part of my cruise experiences. It's that unexpected laugh and smile...

The thing about the complaining about this is unless you are new to Carnival you know it is going to be what it is.. why complain? Just join in and fake it to you make it.

Just because something is doesn't mean everyone is going to love it. I see nothing wrong with people expressing an opinion about not liking an aspect of the cruise experience on a particular cruiseline. Especially on a forum such as this. It's all about sharing information, opinions, etc. Good and bad.

[quote name='oceanbums']I agree completely, it doesn't belong in the dining room when you are trying to have a nice meal. It takes away from the dining experience and you know the waiters don't have time for it.[/quote]

But you know something? that's what draws us to Carnival. We've been on Princess and they did nothing, it was very boring.

We look forward to the "antics" during dinner, the dancing, training around the dining room, dancing with the wait staff. It's just another piece of fun on a CCL cruise ship.

Personally, I'd rather they didn't.
When they do though, I will get 'into' the mood and participate and snap pictures and all that, but if they eliminated this I'd be very happy....but that's just me.
When I look at these crew members I can see that some of them really enjoy this...but some are obviously going through the motions, so they like us, are likley mixed on whether this is a good thing or not.

They are always fun to me and I always get involved, dancing with them. But my DH, not so much. But then we are talking about someone's idea of a vacation is, fishing for a week :eek:. He tolerates our special anniversary cruises and he dies have fun but it does take a long time to get him in the mood that yes, this is going to be a nice vacation :rolleyes:.

[quote name='mom2girls']My children love it too![/quote]That's a good description of it. Children's entertainment. [IMG]http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/party/smilie_tanz.gif[/IMG]

[quote name='ioneroy']I feel very uncomfortable when the end of the dinner comes and they play that music. I want to leave. The singing and dancing is not professional or entertaining . I feel sorry for the wait staff, ..[/quote]Ditto. We've managed to finish eating and leave before some of them. It's the only thing I can think of that I don't care for on Carnival. One night a week would be fine, if they posted which night so we could 'plan accordingly'. [IMG]http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/diverse/wink3.gif[/IMG]

I agree that it must be humiliating for the staff, however, since my last couple of cruises have been on Norwegian, I must admit that I enjoy it. We just booked the Miracle and the first comment from my daughters' mouths was "do you think that they still sing at dinner?" It is cheesy, but life is short and people need to lighten up.

Someone asked about "what kind of entertainment during dinner in the dining room?"

It reminds me of silly songs you'd hear at a wedding. The chicken dance,
Makarina, etc. It's just one song. It's silly and fun.

Like at a wedding, even a formal one, the reception is usually fun to liven things up and everyone laughs and relaxes.

Take it for what it is.
Relax. Enjoy. You are on a cruise.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=mediumturquoise]I think it's fun and part of the tradition.......I was on the Valor last week sitting upstairs in the Washington at table 575 which is against the edge overlooking the main floor, and judging by the way that people flocked to the edge and started snapping pictures I would say that most people were really enjoying themselves....[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#48d1cc][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#48d1cc]Our waiter and his assistant took turns with one of them continueing perparations to serve dessert and the other one singing. I don't think it slowed down service at all.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived