Who likes the singing waiters?

babywewe

Just returned from our first Carnival cruise on the Miracle. We found the dancing waiters to be a lot of fun. It did not interfere with dinner as they did it after the main course was served. Most people seemed to enjoy it very much. It added to the fun of the cruise.

[quote name='ladycaveat']I just replied to another's post but I did what to add that I really think the singing/dancing waiters might be nice for one night . . . either the first night or the last night (both are casual). It would let those that have never cruised before get a kick out of what is to come (the fun ahead for them on the "fun ship") or what they just experienced (the fun they had on the "fun ship"). It would also give those of us that cruise on Carnival often a break from having our dinner interrupted every evening by this "event."

I also feel so sorry for our waiters and waitresses having to do this twice a night/every night during their contract.[/quote]
First night only might be a good idea. The "singing waiters" routine looks to me like what people in the hospitality [and sales] business call an "icebreaker". Most of the regulars will be there on the first night, and there is little use in trying to "break the ice" with the occasional diners.

[quote name='PirkkoS']Just returned from our first Carnival cruise on the Miracle. We found the dancing waiters to be a lot of fun. It did not interfere with dinner as they did it after the main course was served. Most people seemed to enjoy it very much. It added to the fun of the cruise.[/quote]

I was on the same cruise as you.. just got in today
In our section they were not done serving.. I asked our waitress if she like it.. she gave me the 'look'... you know the one where she could not answer because she could not be positive about it..
I could take it or leave it.. I dont look 'forward' to it and if they didnt do it.. i would not miss it.. but thats me!:)

We just did our first Carnival cruise, and I have to say, I loved the singing waiters! Looked forward to it every evening, and joined in several nights. Our waitstaff seemed to like it too, lots of genuine smiles on their faces.

You heard your cruise director - it's A FUN SHIP!!!

Seriously though, I think it should happen on the first night as an icebreaker for new tablemates, and the last night just because...

Having said that, according to this thread at least, there are more opposed to it than I would have thought, and many of those saying it should stay because the kids like it.

A fair compromise to those arguments may be to just have it at the earlier dinner sitting

We let our server's know that we would like to have our courses brought out rather expeditiously - primarily to avoid the "festivities" :rolleyes: They understand completely (or at least seem to)! We usually skip desert. On our last two sailings we have witnessed no dancing as a result.

Tom

I flee the dining room as soon as possible to avoid the dancing waiters. It is so degrading and I feel sorry for them. I only had to watch it once on my 28 day Liberty cruise in 2006. It was the only exercise I got on sea days! :D :D
We get a table for two and also have waiter give us "express" service so we're out of there before the singing etc starts. Also don't like the camera in the face while trying to eat. The last night farewell song is OK.

I honestly don't believe it's degrading to the waiters. Many of the waiters like to entertain the cruisers. This is just another oppourtunity. It's all in fun. And, that's what the fun ships are all about. It's certainly not "making an already cheap cruise cheaper." If anyone thinks that they shouldn't cruise on Carnival.

I am going on a July 4th cruise, I've done it before. At dinner on July 4th they do a tribute to America, it's hysterical. Singing God Bless America and America the Beautiful with thick accents. Ya gotta love it!

I also feel so sorry for our waiters and waitresses having to do this twice a night/every night during their contract.

I can understand not liking the dancing for whatever reason.

I don't understand why you would feel sorry for the wait staff, give me a break, it's not like they are being used as lab rats and no one forced them to sign the contract.

The unimagineable horror, what's next, entire shows stage for our entertainment by people who are contractually obligated to sing and dance each night. Where does the inhumanity stop.:rolleyes:

I see people get very excited on this board about the singing waiters. Maybe I missed something... maybe at some point the waiters sang and danced more (and better)...

I just don't get it. I didn't find it entertaining. It was as hokey as a sweet 16 DJ. AND I felt bad for the waiters as they had tables to get to and things to do...

I agree with you. On our last Carnival Cruise our waiter was feeling very rushed because he had to be ready to "perform" at a certain time. He couldnt give us the service that he wanted too. I couldnt keep a straight face when the male performer sang in the dining room. :o :o (It may have even been the CD on that cruise? If anyone knows who the dining room singer is on the Pride)

I think if they wait until the end of the service, (so you could leave before they start) and if they did it only a few times in the week, it would be ok. The supper club is a welcome change of pace also.

I can understand not liking the dancing for whatever reason.

I don't understand why you would feel sorry for the wait staff, give me a break, it's not like they are being used as lab rats and no one forced them to sign the contract.

The unimagineable horror, what's next, entire shows stage for our entertainment by people who are contractually obligated to sing and dance each night. Where does the inhumanity stop.:rolleyes:

Actually, I think that would fantastic . . . just as long as it's not in the dinning room every night . . . .:p

hate, hate, hate the singing every single night I have to sit through it and really try to leave before it. If they want to go for "tradition" keep the singing and dancing to the Baked Alaska/Last Night ONLY and let the waiters carry the flaming baked alaska's on their heads like the GOOD ole days! ;)

Another one here that enjoys it! Are they talented? Some yes, most no! (I think that's why it's so much fun..they really AREN'T that talented, but they try!) Where else can you go - dress up in fancy clothes, sit down in a fancy dining room, have a great fancy meal and then all of a sudden have the place erupt in this crazy singing and dancing?!? To have such extremes is hilarious to me! Only on the "fun ship"!!

When we cruised last September they also sang "God Bless America" on 9/11. It was actually quite touching.

I'm sure most of the employees (like ourselves with our own jobs) just think...same old thing day after day.Sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do to try to make your customers happy. It's just what the job is.

If the waiters enjoy it - then let them have some fun on the "fun" ship. On our last cruise in 02/08 our waiter was disappointed when we told him dh didn't feel great and we were leaving right after dinner. He felt bad that we were going to miss the show.

It is silly and fun and it doesn't bother me. I can't wait until my then 22 month old daughter sees it, she will flip. The child dances to elevator music!

I'm imagining that sweetie in your signature dancing... awww! that would be worth it to keep the dancing for me on my next cruise! :D

I guess I'm with the minority. I enjoy the singing waiters. I think it's part of what makes Carnival the "Fun Ship"! Our servers have always been excited on nights when they are going to sing.

Okay, I admit, I did not read the previous 3 pages :eek: but the OP was asking for our opinion. We do like the entertainment at night. It is part of the cruise experience. Do they do this in restaurants? No, not unless someone is having a birthday and then they just sing. It is unique to the cruise lines (at least I have never been in a restaurant or heard of one that does this but I could be wrong). All of our servers in the past have seemed to enjoy this and appear to be having fun. And, judging from the people who hop up and join in the conga line, I think a lot of people enjoy it too. That is not to say it is for everyone and I certainly respect the opinions of those who don't care for it, but we do like it and I'm glad they are continuing with it. :D Travelgirl

We love the entertainment during dinner. We were on a Princess cruise with absolutely no entertainment and it was so boring and stuffy. I go on vacation to have a good time. I can have boring and stuffy at home!:D

I like it personally. It sure looks to me like they're having fun, especially when some of the pasengers get up and dance too. One of my Grandma's favorite cruise memories is doing the conga around the dining room.

Archived