Tips for Pearl shopping on PG

Thank you all for all the information you have shared on this board!

We are planning to purchase a strand of pearls (yea!), and pendants/earings as family gifts... does anyone have any tips?

I'm hoping that we can find good quality pearls, and we are worried that we might be 'captive' cruise consumers.

Should we plan to use any particular shop/location?

Are the prices better than what we would find at home?

Thanks again,

Kim

I bought mine at Sibani. They are located in the hotels and also in Centre Veima. Also, you'll want to get a BEEP when you buy, which is a certificate from the pearls expertise and valuation office. It guarantees your pearls are "real" and quality. Have fun shopping!!!!!

You will have time to study the pearls for sale on board, which originate from Tahia Collins on Moorea. There are shops on Bora Bora that sell beautiful pearls, as there are in Papeete. When you reach Moorea, if you haven't purchased already, you can take the shuttle to the Tahia Collins store and see many more options, plus you're walking distance to other nearby shops. Look for guarantees, stores that stand behind their wares.

You can buy cheap pearls on the motu usually, but buyer beware, quality won't be as good, and you are a sitting duck for being ripped off.

You will be easily able to be taught about pearls by most every shop...and the best place to start is onboard the PG.

There are many places that sell pearls; some of dubious quality and some which are outstanding. The most expensive or flashy shop does not mean you are getting a better quality or priced pearl, so learn, then walk around and then buy.

But don't miss out on an opportunity. I purchased a very unique piece with just OK quality pearls and one large, high quality, pearl with a simple mount. My DW gets more compliments on the unique piece and enjoys the story about how I found it more. (She doesn't neglect the bigger pearl, though!)

Another thing to keep in mind: Gold is perversely expensive in FP. If it is a pearl that you are really interested in, buy it loose and have it mounted back in the US. You will save hundreds or more.

Agree with IamBoatman about the high price for gold (which currently is high enough already) in French Polynesia. I think there is also a customs benefit of buying loose pearls - but I can't remember the specifics....

I was shocked to find large Tahitian pearls in beautiful settings at Costco for about a third of the price in FP.... but, naturally, they don't have the selection especially in the array of colors they offer in FP (and would look so lovely in a string of pearls); I fell in love with a strand priced at $15,000; happy shopping.

Eric is right that gold is disproportionally expensive in FP, so gold mountings chains etc will be more expensive. My jeweler here in the states told me to be sure and have the pearl drilled in FP before bringing home to set. Apparently that is an inherently risky step and result in a ruined pearl.

Summer sells pearls on Motu Mahana, she is a California expat who married into a pearl farm owning family. We bought earings from her.Seemed like a decent deal and they matched my wife pendant just about pefectly. We met Tahia Collins on the PG and had dinner with her. Her biggest store is on Moorea but she has a boutique on all the others I guess. I think her stuff is more "high fashion". Am allergist on our cruise bought a string of large silver pearl from Tahia's shop on Bora Bora. She had silver highlights in her hair and they looked gorgeous on her but who knows how much they cost ($40,000??)

I guess alot of us are buying memories.

Summer is also a tour guide in Raiatea and was exceptional. She also sold fresh Vanilla and her prices were excellent. Not sure about the pearls from her. Got mine at the former Black Gem Pearl Co - now Talia Collins. On Voyager they were selling pearls from the Black Gem Pearl Co - which I thought was replaced by Talia Collins - but the boutique has them as BGPC...

Just thought I would pass this along...there are stringent rules about Tahitian pearls and what can be labled as such. Pearls must be a minimum of 8mm (it used to be larger) and have 0.8mm of nacre over the nucleus.

For a good overview of Tahitian pearls and information from the consortium that governs them, go to www.perlesdetahiti.net.

As a jeweler, I would say buy them in FP because they represent a memento of your trip, etc...I sincerely doubt you'll get as good a deal there as you would in the US. If I planned serious pearl shopping in Tahiti, I would check my local fine jeweler and get prices for pearls with similar size, luster and surface blemishes before leaving.

Overall, prices on Tahitian pearls have come down in recent years, unless you are looking for absolutely fabulous quality.

I know local jeweler. and have always followed the OP's advice. The only "good deals" we've found on black pearls in FP have been on those with flaws, but can still be used in rings, drops, etc. so that the setting covers the flaw. We found these to be VERY inexpensive the last time we went (2 1/2 years ago). But, we didn't see any "deals" on high quality black pearls there.

The good pearls are almost definitely less expensive in the US. You can even find them at Costco. But the cache is buying them in FP.

I don't think my DW would really think her pearls were as special or had any extra meaning if we went to FP and later bought her a pearl in the US to reminder her of the trip. Oh, the price of romance.:p

I guess my practical side will win out and I will look into buying a great quality strand here at home. Would you happen to know any jewlers who I can contact? Is online shopping an option? Should I consider Mikimoto or look for another name to aid in quality assurance?

I will take your advice and bring home single pearls for family gifts.

Thanks to all.

If you are looking for a strand of Tahitian pearls, there are several factors that influence price. First, decide whether you want round, near round, baroque, etc. The closer to round you get, the more expensive. Size also plays an important role. You will typically see Tahitian strands that are graduated from 13-14 mm at the center to 10-11mm at the back. Then you have to consider luster, surface blemishes and what overall color you want and how well the pearls match.

In the Tahitian world, there are no "brand" names as there are for Japanese cultured pearls (akoya) with Mikimoto or Australian South Sea Pearls with Paspaley. I recommend an independent fine jeweler. He or she should have the resources to bring in several different strands (unstrung), in several different price ranges from which you can choose. That also enables you to pick your own clasp. You should be able to find a nice 17" strand for 6K-7K, depending on how many diamonds you want in your clasp. I don't mind answering any specific questions...I love pearls and enjoy talking about them. I hope you have a wonderful trip to FP!

Laura

As Frommers suggests, a good place to learn about black pearls is at the Musée de la Perle Robert Wan, on the rue Jeanne d'Arc side in Papeete. It was very near where the PG docked. In addition to the small museum, very fine black pearls are sold there, and we learned a lot from the sales people (but did not purchase there). The museum is open Monday through Saturday from 9:30am to noon and 1 to 4:15pm. Admission is 600CFP (US$6) per person.

With the information we learned, we felt comfortable enough to purchase pearls on the motu the first time we went to FP, especially after hearing the success of others. We bought a fairly large pearl drop and a pair of earrings. We paid U.S. customs duty only on the earrings. The loose pearl was duty free. As far as I have determined, loose pearls are still duty free, but the web site is somewhat confusing, so I would double-check with customs before bringing them back, if that is a concern. Our jeweler in Washington had no problem drilling the drop and setting it, and he certainly confirmed that we had done well with our purchase.

The second time we went, there was far less selection on the motu--either pretty poor quality or one vendor with extremely expensive strands--and we ended up purchasing several loose pearls at Ron Hall's Island Fashion Black Pearls (on Moorea), which we had set as a bracelet when we returned home. Many publications recommend Hall's shop. It was a short walk from one of the places the PG’s tenders “landed” in Moorea. (We had gone to Island Fashion on the first trip and were impressed with the quality, selection, and prices, as well as the information we gained.)

We two have shopped at Ron Hall's shop on all three trips.

Dreps, which Motu are you referring to? Moto Mahanna? I have bought some loose pearls in the past but nothing very expensive or even high quality.

I liked Ron's quality and he even sold me some very interesting Keshi Pearls with unique qualities which I have had set into a stunning pice.

Yes, Motu Mahana. In 2003, there were quite nice pearls on the motu to be had. We bought from a middle-aged woman who was from one of the pearl farms. We were on a b2b, so we took the first week to investigate, and heard from others that they had done very well on the motu. In 2006, the situation was quite different. Most of the pearls on the motu were cheap and of poor quality. But I remember there was one vedor who had several strands of extremely expensive (read thousands of dollars) pearls, which I'm sure were good, though I didn't attempt to assess how good since we weren't interested.

We just returned from our trip on the PG and at the IC Thalasso. We had a fantastic time. I will try and post a few comments later. For now:

RE: Pearls

This trip, after several well traveled friends gave us advice, we bought from Ron Hall at Island Fashion Black Pearls. He was great! He took his time with us, let us try on everything, and explained the difference in what we were looking at....he was very patient....and we love our pearls!

His shop is located close to the dock in Cook's Bay, however, on this trip the PG dropped anchor at Opunohu Bay. I emailed Ron from the ship and an air conditioned shuttle picked the 8 of us up right at the dock at the agreed on time. It was so easy!

Any questions, ask away!

My husband and I are returning for the 4th time to Tahiti - first time on the PG. What does Summer, or other venders on PG's motu, accept for currency - traveler's checks, AMEX, or the old standby - cash? I've gotten beautiful pearls on past trips, but it would be fun to purchase some on the motu.

Thanks,

Linda :-)

The last time we were on the PG the ship anchored at Opunohu Bay as well. However, in the crowd outside Ron usually has a vehicle and my DD just asked which one was his. Once we found it they took us to his shop. I think I will avoid his shop this trip as I dont want to buy any more ( well maybe an eggplant coloured one) and I know I will be sorely tempted.

If you are looking for a really good necklace and you give Ron time he will find an exquisite one of perfectly matched pearls.

Linda,

Summer will take all of the above. I went back to the ship to get my AMEX card and bought my wife pearl earings. She converts the FP cost into USD for you if you want. I am not sure she accepts USD.

I used USD for buying vanilla from a guy on the motu but he was not connected to Summer.

Archived