Do You Unpack?

redhawk94

Yeah - me! :-)

I usually travel with a backpack or other soft-sided carry-on luggage. On my last cruise I just unzipped my pack all the way around and put it in a drawer. Worked great, and I repacked dirty cloths as I went. No big stress-out and the luggage was always out of the way. And little risk of leaving something behind because I was always "packed."

But I'm probably not a "typical" cruiser...

I do the same thing. Unpack the clean and repack the dirty.

I have a relative that doesn't unpack. I spent 3 nights with her in a hotel once and it drove me crazy watching her. Every time we had to get ready for anything, she would go through her suitcase to find the needed items, then repack everything just so.

I asked her why she just didn't put her stuff in the closet and drawers and she said "This way I know where everything is" :eek: :confused: ! I told her "So do I....right in the closet and the drawers, just waiting for me!"

The hotel was pretty upscale and they came and turned down my bed every night, but not hers. She wondered why, so I told her...they can't get to your bed because your suitcase is on it. She even slept with her suitcase.

Only on our TA of 14 days did my DH unpack. I always unpack. The reason DH doesn't unpack is that I use all the drawers-no matter the size of the cabin. I like to spread my things out.

:D I'm a committed overpacker and proud of it!!

During our cruise last month, the first thing I did was unpack everything into the wall lockers/closets that Carnival has on the ship. My wife thought I was nuts for doing so, but I thought everybody did this as you are going to be there for at least 4 days. So I was just wondering who else unpacks.

Sure, I unpack. It takes about 10 minutes at the most. Everything is in a 22" roll-on-board and a small carryon... I don't want to have to dig through a suitcase everytime I want something to wear.

We do not feel like our cruise has started until we get everything unpacked and put away. We put the bathroom and shower items in the bathroom. Vanity items on the vanity, perfume and aftershave out, all of our clothes hung or put in the correct drawers. Often we bring items intending to have them pressed and or dry cleaned immediately. So we get those items ready and give them to our room steward. We then have all the 'work' over with and can get on with the 'hard work' of cruising and have one or two of those little drinks with the umbrellas while sitting on deck and watching the beautiful blue sea slide by.

Wow - now I don't think I can wait 6 more months!:confused:

I always unpack. It's like nesting and claiming the space as my own. The only time I haven't unpacked was on my last cruise. Right after we had unpacked, the assistant purser informed us my friend's dialysis solution had not been delivered to the ship, there for we couldn't sail. Since the ship was already late leaving port, they kicked us off the ship rather quickly. I was a bit traumatized after cramming all my unpacked things back into my suitcase and lugging it off the ship! When they realized the solution was indeed on the ship the entire time and it was their fault they flew us to San Juan to catch up with our cruise. That traumatized feeling was still a bit in place, like I was going to be kicked off at anytime, so I didn't unpack again. I am pretty sure it was a one time thing though...at least it better be! Being kicked off a cruise ship once makes for interesting vacation stories, twice, not so much.:rolleyes: I do plan on unpacking next time. I'm an organization freak and hate wrinkles.

My sister and I use packing cubes which looks something like this. We have one for everyday of the week and it helps keep things neat and organized in our luggage.

LP106_dt.jpg

We have one for each day of the week (casual clothes). Wearing clothes are hung up. These cubes go from the luggage to either the bureau drawers or closet shelves. When we finishing wearing an outfit that outfit will go back into the cube and then the cube goes into the luggage. It makes it a lot easier, when on your last night on the ship, you are trying to remember to pack everything.

I am definitely an "un-packer". It helps to make the room mine for the time that I am on the ship. About mid-way through the cruise, I will put some of the clothes that I've worn, and some of the dirty clothes in a folded pile. Sometimes I go ahead and put them in my suitcase, but then the suitcase goes right back under the bed!

I like doing this so that I am not overwhelmed with trying to pack on the last day....I'd rather be out by the pool deck sipping a foo-foo drink!

I can't say that we unpack. For four cruises, I unpacked, then DH continually asked me where his stuff was. I'm now going to let him unpack his stuff. He and DS always went exploring "to get out of my way" when I unpack. They always knew where everything on the ship was and I didn't. I decided after the last cruise that I'll unpack and repack for me and DS. DH is on his own!

And with three of us in an inside cabin, we have to unpack or there'd be no room to move around in!

I can't say that we unpack. For four cruises, I unpacked, then DH continually asked me where his stuff was. I'm now going to let him unpack his stuff. He and DS always went exploring "to get out of my way" when I unpack. They always knew where everything on the ship was and I didn't. I decided after the last cruise that I'll unpack and repack for me and DS. DH is on his own!

And with three of us in an inside cabin, we have to unpack or there'd be no room to move around in!

OMG LOL !! This is exactly how it is with our cruises--I pack & unpack. After the unpacking process and giving clothes to be pressed to our Butler I give DH the "tour" of where all his stuff is located. His idea of putting things away is stuffing it all in one drawer. He wouldn't beable to find a thing then either!:D

Retiredonthesea

I/we (Gf & I) always unpack, even on a short 3 night cruise.... I would not even consider sharing a cabin or hotel room (unless it is just for over night) with anyone who did not unpack. The hassles with trying to "live" with someone who is trying to "live" out of a suitcase, well I would not put up with it, period.

I always unpack the first day and put things in their places. It gives me a sense of ownership and comfort. I use drawers for undergarments, etc. and hang what clothes I can to keep wrinkles out. The rest of the items like shorts, t's and swimsuits, I put on the shelves and the bottom of the closets is used for shoes or smaller suitcases. I usually overpack and my husband gets a little aggravated. It looks like I'm staying for a month, but I enjoy having choices and various sized clothing to accomodate the weight I usually gain. With the extra luggage fees now, it may be harder to downsize, but I'll have to.

Going home and unpacking, now that's another issue not dealt with so quickly and a question for another thread...

OK - I have to be different. I unpack eventually - usually by that night when we have to take showers and need clean clothes. I usually want a Drink of the Day and to explore the ship first thing. Then watch us sail - this usually works out for me as the luggage doesn't get there anyway till after we sail. When we get the luggage hubby immediately starts unpacking. Me I'd shove it in a closet till I need stuff out of it and then unpack.... After all these cruises he figures he'll just do it so it gets done. BUT you have to consider that I JUST got done shoving all that stuff in the suitcases as I am the one that packs them so it is only fair that he unpacks them... ;) LOL

If staying for only one night in a hotel - actually even three we just open the suitcases and lay them on the extra bed (if there are two Queens) and don't even worry about unpacking. BUt I guess we feel more at home on a cruise.... :) Debbie

You can go half & half...hang up the long clothes, jackets, shirts, etc.

Then put about half of the underwear & socks in the cupboard w/ the rest in the suitcase until needed.

Steve

We hang up our dressier clothing...put undies in a drawer...and leave shorts..t's and jeans etc. in the suitcase...I saw the room that dd and I have on the Monarch in July and there is not much shelving space and drawers...I told her to keep all her stuff together in the suitcase under the bed and take out as needed. We are used to a mini on Princess and there was tons of room and shelving...this cabin will not allow for any such thing! Oh we always line up our shoes on the bottom of the closet..

The hassles with trying to "live" with someone who is trying to "live" out of a suitcase, well I would not put up with it, period.

As a NON-unpacker I feel the same way in reverse. It's like when "carryon" and "checked" people try to travel together...it just doesn't work. :-)

Archived