Concierge Update

Why? Not every cruise line is for everybody. We did Carnival once...never again. Lots of people love it. We did RCI once, and, even though they go from Bayonne, NJ, my wife says never again. We have friends who flat-out refused to travel with us on NCL again, after having done it twice. They prefer HAL and Renaissance.

I'm not sure what you mean by "why." I am not debating that not every line suits everybody, I just find it curious that after all the sturm und drang about trailer trash being upsold and poor quality of everything on NCL ships from the personnel to the food, that the OP would come back to this board and post about the location of concierges when she has made it clear she is done with NCL.

I know a lot of people who would prefer Renaissance but it ceased operation at the end of September, 2001 :o. The ships are divided now between Oceania, Azamara and Princess. Fabulous little ships!

Jana

Claudio gets all our votes, our favorite...followed by Anca.,Vickie formerly on the Crown... Ruth....Finally Alex, not on our favorite list...

That's so funny--Alex Forbes is on most people's favorite list and we like him very much. We know Claudio Schulze well--he is superb and we always enjoy cruising with him. What little we know of Anca is excellent--we had her on a 2 nite CTN and she was injured so all she could do was man the desk. Still, she was warm, friendly and helpful. We never cruised with Vickie--we don't know her. Ruth is one of our two utter favorites.

I know a lot of people who would prefer Renaissance but it ceased operation at the end of September, 2001 :o. The ships are divided now between Oceania, Azamara and Princess. Fabulous little ships!

Jana

Oops....my excuse is we never sailed on them...maybe it's another line our friends like, but they seem to be on HAL all the time these days.

Thanks PE & NPP.:) I'll take full advantage of telling the check in people I'm in the OS. :D This is a once in a lifetime trip for me and my kids and their spouses and I wanted to do it up good. Sounds like we'll have the time of our lives. I love NCL.

Thanks again.

I think all the Concierge's in the fleet are just wonderful, from what I have read here on CC and with whom I have had contact with. As long as they make your dinner bookings, tender tickets and action other requests, anything else is just a bonus! (Including if you develop a relationship with your Concierge ... but keep in mind, your Concierge may not have YOU on their favorite list (NoPiratesPlease:D ) .. but they will always do their job with a smile.

Don't yell at your Concierge, don't insult them and greet them with a smile, your Concierge is here to assist you make your cruise the best ever ... if you are sour and cruel and expect the world (which I have read some folk do - even witnessed it once or twice), then many of the crew will be complaining about you behind closed doors ...

Thought for the day ... "what do you think crew members talk about for amusement day in day out for 10 months at sea .... THE PASSENGERS!" I am sure we all offer some type of comic relief, at our own expense. (lol)

:) :) :)

I think all the Concierge's in the fleet are just wonderful, from what I have read here on CC and with whom I have had contact with. As long as they make your dinner bookings, tender tickets and action other requests, anything else is just a bonus! (Including if you develop a relationship with your Concierge ... but keep in mind, your Concierge may not have YOU on their favorite list (NoPiratesPlease:D ) .. but they will always do their job with a smile.

You never know, do you? However, I THINK Claudio likes us as we brought him a home-made cheesecake last time we were on the Dawn with him out of NYC. And I think Simone likes us as we do hear from her from time to time. And Ruthie Haggar introduced to a family from Germany who became very close friends of ours.

(and we are good tippers, too!)

Don't yell at your Concierge, don't insult them and greet them with a smile, your Concierge is here to assist you make your cruise the best ever ... if you are sour and cruel and expect the world (which I have read some folk do - even witnessed it once or twice), then many of the crew will be complaining about you behind closed doors ...

That is ABSOLUTELY true and that's exactly how we treat them

Thought for the day ... "what do you think crew members talk about for amusement day in day out for 10 months at sea .... THE PASSENGERS!" I am sure we all offer some type of comic relief, at our own expense. (lol)

:) :) :)

When the younger ones aren't talking about who is "dating" whom!

You never know, do you? However, I THINK Claudio likes us as we brought him a home-made cheesecake last time we were on the Dawn with him out of NYC. And I think Simone likes us as we do hear from her from time to time. And Ruthie Haggar introduced to a family from Germany who became very close friends of ours.

(and we are good tippers, too!)

That is ABSOLUTELY true and that's exactly how we treat them

When the younger ones aren't talking about who is "dating" whom!

so true (somehow I feel it's not only the "younger ones" hehehehehe

:D MR.S.W.

so true (somehow I feel it's not only the "younger ones" hehehehehe

:D MR.S.W.

??? Someone is having an identity crisis.

OMG Jana-I see...someone signed in with one ID but signed the post with the other ID. Seems like someone is talking to themselves.

OMG Jana-I see...someone signed in with one ID but signed the post with the other ID. Seems like someone is talking to themselves.

Certainly not the only time, Monte. Check the King Marcus thread... she asked a question under one I.D. and then answered it with another. It's strange behavior! It's kind of like, oh, I don't know, putting in your sig line that you can't sail Celebrity because of the restrictive smoking policy, and then adding both Oceania and Regent cruises. It's kind of like not being able to tell if you're a doctor or a travel agent.

Just strange.

We had Karan as a butler in 2003 on the Star. He was very professional, did everything right, but was a little distant. That's not really a criticism--he's a good guy. It'd be interesting to see him as a Concierge--I'll bet he gets things done!

BTW, for those who don't know it, Claudio Schulze is an AWESOME Salsa dancer. MsEscada assures me that nobody is better to dance it with (but that doesn't bother me as Salsa and Mambo are two of my weaker dances).

New Years Eve a couple of years ago, Claudio and one of the young women from the reception desk put the rest of the dancers to the sidelines. Their Salsa was so natural, so easy and joyous. It was a pleasure to watch.

I didn't want anyone to get the wrong impression and think that I left NoPiratesPlease at the table to dance with Claudio and I wouldn't want Claudio to get in any kind of trouble...i just watched

We just yesterday got off the Jewel. Karan is indeed the Concierge and so totally spoiled us we want to go back ASAP. What a great gentleman he was and there was no request too impossible. Each passenger under his care felt like they were the only ones using his services. So nice ...

Just one word, Karan (if you're reading this) ... PING PONG! (oops, I guess that's two words!) :cool:

~d

Which is funny because our friend is a confirmed smoker...

Ms. Escada, Radisson (now Regent) instituted its restrictive smoking policy fairly recently so that makes a lot of sense!

When they were sailing, Renaissance was a totally non-smoking line. They planned to introduce smoking in two small shipboard areas within months, but it folded before they could. Oceania Cruises was the most restrictive line for years --they took Renaissance's idea and utilized it-- and now almost everyone is following suit!

Jana

New Years Eve a couple of years ago, Claudio and one of the young women from the reception desk put the rest of the dancers to the sidelines. Their Salsa was so natural, so easy and joyous. It was a pleasure to watch.

Claudio takes NO credit for the dancing. He claims that the young woman was the BEST dancer;)

We just yesterday got off the Jewel. Karan is indeed the Concierge and so totally spoiled us we want to go back ASAP. What a great gentleman he was and there was no request too impossible. Each passenger under his care felt like they were the only ones using his services. So nice ...

Just one word' date=' [b']Karan[/b] (if you're reading this) ... PING PONG! (oops, I guess that's two words!) :cool:

~d

The Jewel staff spoiled me as well. Only, their names were Anan and O'Neil. They made our cruise totally memorable. We've seen O'Neil once; raved about him so much, my sister looked him up! Anan, we have not been so fortunate to see again.

Claudio takes NO credit for the dancing. He claims that the young woman was the BEST dancer;)

That's because Claudio knows the man's job is to make the LADY look brilliant and beautiful! Anything she does wrong is HIS fault, anything she does right is because she's a great dancer.

One of the last places in the world where the inequality of the sexes is still acceptable--the ballroom dance floor!

My late dad used to say "I don't understand this rock'n'roll dancing. The whole idea of dancing is to hold the girl in your arms!" When MsEscada and I learned to dance I realized the old guy knew what he was talking about!

Just one word' date=' [b']Karan[/b] (if you're reading this) ... PING PONG! (oops, I guess that's two words!) :cool:

~d

I hope Karan is our Concierge on the Jewel come this Oct. for our repo cruise NY to Miami. I've read such good things about him. We have had a couple Concierges that I haven't heard too much about. Jacky on the Sun (Oct. "07")and Marife on the Star (Jan. "08") We also have had Carlos who was great and Alex. Can't say we have ever had a bad Concierge!!:D

Retiredonthesea

I hope Karan is our Concierge on the Jewel come this Oct. for our repo cruise NY to Miami. I've read such good things about him. We have had a couple Concierges that I haven't heard too much about. Jacky on the Sun (Oct. "07")and Marife on the Star (Jan. "08") We also have had Carlos who was great and Alex. Can't say we have ever had a bad Concierge!!:D

Retiredonthesea

I got an email from Karan and he stated he was supposed to go to the Dawn in July and be there till January. With The Sky coming back on line he was asked to stay on the Jewel for a while longer and he does not know what the plans are.

One of us will be very happy either way. We had Karan as our butler on our 2 Jewel cruises. We are sailing the Dawn's repo from NY to Miami in November.

PE

I got an email from Karan and he stated he was supposed to go to the Dawn in July and be there till January. With The Sky coming back on line he was asked to stay on the Jewel for a while longer and he does not know what the plans are.

One of us will be very happy either way. We had Karan as our butler on our 2 Jewel cruises. We are sailing the Dawn's repo from NY to Miami in November.

PE

I'll have to keep reading to find out for sure, or just post later on asking "who will be the Jewels Concierge for Oct. 28th repo NY to Miami?" This is our first repo and longest (12 day) cruise we've been on.

Retiredonthesea

Archived