Concierge Update

Lots of great concierges!

Our two TOP favorites are Ruth Haggar and Simone Weigel. For us, they are the perfect concierges, consumate professionals, yet friends as well, whom we stay in touch with even if we aren't going to be on their ship.

After them our favorites are Claudio Schulze and Alex Forbes. Both are warm, friendly, and totally professionals--we've been with Claudio more, so we know him better, but if there's anyone who doesn't like Alex, I won't go to restaurants or movies that person recommends because they have no taste!

We've also been with Carlos on the Dream and on the Pearl. The last time on the Pearl he came into his own, hit his stride (and got rid of his assistant who made him MORE work...) and we'd happily sail with him again anytime.

We've only been with Anca on 2 night CTN but she STILL gave us her time and was delightful.

The one who still needs training is the current Dream Concierge--something beginning with a B from Peru. We found her surprisingly unavailable, but that was also on a 2 night CTN--the recent May 9th one. She was very nice but never seemed to answer her phone. Give her to Ruthie or Claudio and they'll whip her into shape! I think she just needs to learn the ropes--she's got the personality for it.

We've also had nothing but great butlers for years. Outstanding ones? John D'Souza, Kaydek and Roland (I have his last name somewhere...). These three are definitely our favorites. Others are great but these guys are the best and most memorable.

I agree what you say, we have been with both Alex and Carlos and they are both great although my wife has a soft spot for Carlos, We will be on the Jade in Jan 2009 but do not have details yet of who the concierge will be then.

Laurence

That is an interesting point. I do not know what % of the complement of passengers are involved with a concierge. Users of the Garden Villa also seem to be heavily represented on these pages as well.

To the poster who said all NCL Concierges are great, you are probably correct. I have enjoyed knowing four of them, two of which have been mentioned in this thread, and each was special in their own way.

I wasn't trying to be snarky, it's that we've done 8 or 9 cruises and haven't used one yet. The majority of cruisers are in the inside, o/v or balcony suites.

And I don't even know what their job is.

If someone is interested in taking the time to tell me what their job description is I'd appreciate it as I'm now curious.

Hi Logcabin: Our concierge will be Anca. I haven't sailed with her before but from what I've read on CC boards she's got a great reputation.

See you Sunday! What time are you arriving at the Port? John and I should arrive about 11 AM or so....

It is. He got promoted from the Gem.

We had Karan as a butler in 2003 on the Star. He was very professional, did everything right, but was a little distant. That's not really a criticism--he's a good guy. It'd be interesting to see him as a Concierge--I'll bet he gets things done!

BTW, for those who don't know it, Claudio Schulze is an AWESOME Salsa dancer. MsEscada assures me that nobody is better to dance it with (but that doesn't bother me as Salsa and Mambo are two of my weaker dances).

On the Jewel it says concierge available for mini-suites. Can someone please explain what that means?

It means that mini-suites and above (up to the Garden Villa) can use the Concierge to make dinner reservations, tour reservations, pre- and post-cruise reservations, internet issues, DVD and CD loads, and handles for you any and every problem or need you have. Don't stand on lines, don't hunt for the right person to talk to: Call the Concierge. About the ONLY thing you don't call the Concierge for is Room Service. For that, call your butler (which you get with Concierge Service).

It's a wonderful luxury that makes your cruise MUCH easier as you don't have to deal with issues, the Concierge does it for you so YOU can enjoy your vacation.

Even if you get sick the Concierge can get through to the Medical Center faster than you!

This may seem like a silly question but where do you folks find this information?

I'm curious as I have an OS on the Sun August 10th (family cruise of a lifetime) and since I usually travel inside I'd like to know what the concierge does.

thanks

This may seem like a silly question but where do you folks find this information?

I'm curious as I have an OS on the Sun August 10th (family cruise of a lifetime) and since I usually travel inside I'd like to know what the concierge does.

thanks

Most of this information is from experience. Also some of us keep in touch with crew members we have met over the years.

On the Sun you will have Anshuman Sumbli as your Concierge. He was recently promoted from Head Butler on the Dawn. He was our "temporary" concierge on the Dawn last November due to an injury to Anca Zamfir.

The Concierges' duties include making your reservations for the specialty restaurants and providing priority tender tickets. They can also make your excursions bookings for you.

PE

thanks

Well, we've been on NCL about 18 times, and 17 of those times we had Concierge/Butler service, so we've learned what they can and cannot do for us. Much of it is on the web site, but it may not be clear what it means.

Yes, I know it's indulgent that we've been in the Owner's Suite or Garden Villa numerous times. We are blessed in that we can manage it (and early on we found that 6 in the GV didn't cost much more than 6 in any combo of Concierge level cabins--NCL has "fixed" that, unfortunately).

When you get to the Port you say to the first NCL person you see "Excuse me, but we are in the Garden Villa. Could you please call the Concierge for us?" In about 5 minutes either the Concierge or a surrogate (once it was the Staff Captain!) meets you and walks you around the lines to Security. When you are through Security, you are walked to Check-in, and, before you know it, you are in the Villa.

We found this out when we did NOT know to ask for the Concierge on the Norway (OS, not GV) and they told us our carry-ons were too big, and gave us a pain. Had we known (and we never made that mistake again) we would have asked IMMEDIATELY for the Concierge (it was Alex Forbes). Somehow, we got hold of him (I don't remember). Alex was super-apologetic and made sure we had no further trouble getting aboard.

Disembarking is also far easier. You actually get an extra morning. The Concierge walks you off, helps you find your bags and guides you through customs...1-2-3!

Yes, I know it's indulgent that we've been in the Owner's Suite or Garden Villa numerous times. We are blessed in that we can manage it

The difference between you and Ms. Escada and some (certainly not all!) of the OS and GV passengers is that you realize that you are blessed and that you have reasonable expectations that -should they not be met 150% - don't send you off into a tizzy of complaints and demands. You are quite obviously joyful at your good fortune and appreciative of the attention you receive and I bet there isn't a soul here who wouldn't enjoy traveling with you.

Actually, I'm fascinated by this whole discussion since the OP has sworn off NCL and has spent a great deal of time at this board and others tearing apart the line and its personnel, so why she cares who the concierge is on what ship at any given moment is baffling.

Jana

"doan mess wid my Baltics, bee-atch"

Actually, I'm fascinated by this whole discussion since the OP has sworn off NCL and has spent a great deal of time at this board and others tearing apart the line and its personnel, so why she cares who the concierge is on what ship at any given moment is baffling.

Jana

I've noticed that also, but thought maybe I was hallucinating. Guess I'm not :D

The difference between you and Ms. Escada and some (certainly not all!) of the OS and GV passengers is that you realize that you are blessed and that you have reasonable expectations that -should they not be met 150% - don't send you off into a tizzy of complaints and demands. You are quite obviously joyful at your good fortune and appreciative of the attention you receive and I bet there isn't a soul here who wouldn't enjoy traveling with you.

Don't bet on that! There are posters who are utterly outraged that the GV and OS guests receive perks outside the suites, like priority boarding and disembarking, tendering, and restaurant reservations. This is despite the fact that these perks are published on the web site and are part of the justifcation for the higher prices paid to be in those staterooms!

But thanks for the kind words. We never try to jam it in our fellow passengers' faces.

Jana

"doan mess wid my Baltics, bee-atch"

Why? Not every cruise line is for everybody. We did Carnival once...never again. Lots of people love it. We did RCI once, and, even though they go from Bayonne, NJ, my wife says never again. We have friends who flat-out refused to travel with us on NCL again, after having done it twice. They prefer HAL and Renaissance.

We don't think NCL is perfect. In fact, there are some SERIOUS issues of things they are doing, or have done re: the GVs that are quite upsetting--while they keep jacking the price up to painful levels. They now want full payment earlier, and refuse cancellations or even transfers to other NCL ships without a BIG hassle. Then they've robbed the nicest deck space on the Gem/Pearl/Jade and installed upstairs neighbors in it--with their hot tub over the GV's picnic table. They even planned to save $100 or $200 bucks on the backs of the GVs by dropping the free liquor bottles--six bottles...That really added insult to injury. There was a huge fuss here at CC and NCL backed down. (for what you pay, no GV guest should EVER pay for a drink on-board!--but that far they won't go!)

Plus, for 14 years we've always assumed the NCL land office would screw things up--and they usually do! I've never understood why they couldn't clean it up.

Yet we still cruise on NCL, because it's still, for us and our needs as a family, the best.

Archived