I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Just booked a cruise for next summer, Aug. 2010, on the Star Princess, leaving Copenhagen. My wife, daughter (9) and I want to stay in Copenhagen for a couple of days before the ship departs. I'm a planner, so the process has begun. I have looked at the Marriott so far and it looks centrally located. How far is it to the ship from there? Tivoli gardens looks like a blast. Is there a lot to do with a 9 yr. old? What would be the 'must sees' for Copenhagen in 2 days? Thanks for any input!

Scott :)

I know you responded somewhat generally to this question, but I would like more specifices. We will be in Copenhagen two most of June 30th and all of July 1. You already provided us with a nice itinerary, but I would like recommendations on some relativelly inexpensive eating places, inccluding casual fare and restaurants. Please give me some idea of pricing so I'd know how much cash I need to get from the ATM. Also, do they take Euros. I know you indicated they do not take dollars or American credit cards. Thanks in advance. You have been very helpful to a greeat many people.

there is no such thing as inexpensive in copenhagen.

no, they will not take Euros.

for a nice listing of restaurnts by price/type please visit:

http://www.ctw.dk and go to the back of the book for some restaurant suggestions.

Just booked a cruise for next summer, Aug. 2010, on the Star Princess, leaving Copenhagen. My wife, daughter (9) and I want to stay in Copenhagen for a couple of days before the ship departs. I'm a planner, so the process has begun. I have looked at the Marriott so far and it looks centrally located. How far is it to the ship from there? Tivoli gardens looks like a blast. Is there a lot to do with a 9 yr. old? What would be the 'must sees' for Copenhagen in 2 days? Thanks for any input!

Scott :)

hi there!

this entire thread - especially the first 10 or so pages - should help you tremendously w/ your planning.

please start there and then come back with maybe more specific questions once you've rounded out your scheudle. we can certainly help you tweak - - but we've already answered the GENERAL question about 100 times.

:D

also check out The Square Hotel - as that is my fave "in town" location.

http://www.dgi-byen.com/hotel/

this is another option for staying in central CPH. this is a HUGE complex that includes pools, gyms, rock climbing, bowling, restaurants, etc.

It's immense.

It's also located about 2 blocks behind the central train station, so VERY easy to get to via the airport w/ the metro.

Just another option for those of you looking at hotels.

Thanks to Cruisin and Viking for all the great info about Copenhagen

Along with my wife and 4 kids -we will be arriving on the jewel on the 18th , we will have around 7 hours to be comfortable

The hop on bus looks decent value for money and a obvious way to get about , however i find the info on the official website confusing

With regards to the open top bus , it says , more than 25 stops at the most popular sights where you are free to leave /board the bus at any of the bus stops , which is fine -its the next part that confuses

It breaks the tours into 3 categories , Mermaid ,Carlsberg and Christiana all with 7/8 stop off points and i assume all going to different places , Why different categories if its just a hop on hop off style bus taking you round the city and why stated stop off points

I may just not be reading it correctly but any info to clarify would be much appreciated

Rod

You have been so generous with your time answering so many questions. It is very helpful and VERY appreciated. Thank you.

My husband plans to disembark early from our cruise to explore some areas of Eastern Europe and wants to fly out of Copenhagen to Krakow, Warsaw or Berlin. I have been told that there are inexpensive one way flights available between European cities that are not showing up on my searches of major travel sites. Could you perhaps list the names of some lesser known (to Americans anyway) airlines that serve Copenhagen so I can check out their websites directly? Or maybe a Europe based travel site that would include these airlines?

Thanks so much.

My husband plans to disembark early from our cruise to explore some areas of Eastern Europe and wants to fly out of Copenhagen to Krakow, Warsaw or Berlin. I have been told that there are inexpensive one way flights available between European cities that are not showing up on my searches of major travel sites.

Thanks so much.

You can check on the airport website to see what airlines fly from/to CPH

http://www.cph.dk/CPH/UK/MAIN/

http://www.cph.dk/CPH/UK/MAIN/Before+Departure/Low+Fare+Tickets/Europe.htm

Took me 2 minutes to find the info

You have been so generous with your time answering so many questions. It is very helpful and VERY appreciated. Thank you.

My husband plans to disembark early from our cruise to explore some areas of Eastern Europe and wants to fly out of Copenhagen to Krakow, Warsaw or Berlin. I have been told that there are inexpensive one way flights available between European cities that are not showing up on my searches of major travel sites. Could you perhaps list the names of some lesser known (to Americans anyway) airlines that serve Copenhagen so I can check out their websites directly? Or maybe a Europe based travel site that would include these airlines?

Thanks so much.

transavia (Italy & Spain)

air berlin (germany)

Cimber / Sterling (various points in Europe)

and there are more - you can google "cheap europe flights" etc.

or use a big search engine like Kayak or vayama

in the summer, even the "cheap" airlines are expensive... so be warned....

going by rail is also an alternative. you can look at http://www.dsb.dk and http://www.raileurope.com for some thoughts.

enjoy!

We're spending a day in Copenhagen, next August. It's the disembarking port of our cruise, that is Vikings and Czars, the ship is Hal Rotterdam. I don't know if there's a long way between the port and our hotel, which is in Longangstraede, the problem is to get a taxi and to pay. I understood they don't accept dollars, but what about Euros? I'm from Italy and we'll bring some money with us. I suppose when a ship arrives, a lot of cabs would be at the port, wouldn't they...?

We're coming in the morning and we're leaving the next morning...What can we visit in this single day? we don'to want to leave the city.I heard the restaurants are expensive there, could you give us advise?

I thank you in advance and if you need to have information about Italy, I'm your man! (woman!)

@ noise

Not all restaurants are expensive, i just eated at Sultan place behind the big church on Strøget yesterday for only 120 dkk and that was one big beer and a nice turkish/mediterranean buffet.

The taxi´s do take Euro but the exchange rate is not in your favour.

To what you can see and do Wonderful Copenhagen has a site that is called.... what you can see and do.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/tourist/what_to_see_and_do

You can see the location of Løngangstræde here.

http://www.krak.dk/query?mop=aq&mapstate=8%3B12.572202987956856%3B55.675015395968316%3Bs%3B12.567175041668836%3B55.676786904247656%3B12.577230934244879%3B55.67324388768898%3B746%3B496%3B-1%3B1&mapcomp=%3B%3B%3BL%C3%B8ngangstr%C3%A6de%3B%3B%3B1468%3B%3B%3B%3B%3B%3B12.572817031292042%3B55.67550585260748%3B0%3B0%3BK%C3%B8benhavn%20K%3BK%C3%B8benhavn%3Bmaps_place_dk.27016.22%3B1&what=map_adr&searchInMap=1&geo_area=l%C3%B8ngangstr%C3%A6de%20k%C3%B8benhavn&stq=0&pis=0

This thread is great!! Thanks to everyone who has been nice enough to answer the questions posted. I thought I'd post this link that I found. It answered some basic questions I had, such as how for from Freeport to city center and how far from airport to city center. http://www.portprofiles.com/Baltic/Denmark/Copenhagen/faq.html.

The wife and I are on the Sept. 4 sailing of HAL's Rotterdam. We are arriving at 1:15 pm on the 3rd. I figure the very earliest we will be at our hotel is 2:00 pm. We are staying at Hotel 27, where the Ice Bar is located, which I gather is right near the Tivoli but I haven't figured out exactly how far. Anyone know? I haven't seen the hotel mentioned previously and it seems to get mixed reviews, but some of you may want to consider it. The hotel offers a light dinner buffet and a breakfast buffet, which we found appealing.

Anyway, I feel from reading this thread and given the location of our hotel that we want to see Stroget and the Tivoli, in no particular order. Currently we have a reservation at the Ice Bar on the 3rd at 7:30 pm. Assuming we get to our hotel at 2:00 that wouldn't give us very much time to explore Tivoli (esp. if we're trying to eat dinner before going to the Ice Bar). And I read earlier in the thread that they do not stamp at Tivoli, so no in/out privileges. Do you think that we should try to move back our Ice Bar reservation to 8:30 or later? Or would it make sense to try to walk around Stroget for a bit on the 3rd. Then we could see Tivoli as soon as it opens on the 4th. If Tivoli opens at 11:00 we could walk around and go on some rides until about 2:30 or so, then go back to the hotel and get a cab to Freeport. Is Tivoli worth going to if you can only see for a few hours?

I wish we had more time in Copenhagen, but was not possible on this trip. Just trying to figure out the best way to spend our time. Anyone have any other suggestions? I think mainly we wanted to stay in the vicinity of our hotel. Don't want to get worn out before our trip even begins! We were also interested in Ida Davidsen's possibly but I'm not sure where it's located in relation to our hotel. Also, the cruise will be going to Aarhus, which I realize may be very different from Copenhagen, but I figure we may be able to get more Danish food and drink there, such as smorebrod and Danish beer/aqkavit.

Thanks in advance.

Cruiseineurope,

Your information is really helpful. Thank you so much for your time. My husband and I will be on Emerald Princess leaving on Sept 3. We will arrive CPH in Aug 28. We plan to buy CPH card and spent Aug 28 (evening)-Aug 30 in CPH. We are thinking about rent a car from Aug 31 -Sept 3 and drive to contryside. My husband want to visit his mom hometown near Ribe and see the conuntryside.

What is the company you recommend to rent a car? I notice that the rental car is VERY expensive here. But that is what my husband want to do. We want to rent in town to avoid the airport fee. What area do you suggest?

What town outside CPH you think we should visit and spent time?

We also thinking about spent our last night in the other town and then drive to CPH on Spt 3 to return our car and go to the pier. You said that at the beginning of Sept it has a big conference in town, so we think we should stay somewhere else. Where should we stay?

Cruisineurope--thanks so much for the information here. I JUST found out (since we booked our hotel through Holland America, which was supposed to be the SAS Royal) that we've been switched to the Scandic palace. I'm kind of annoyed about it, partially since I didn't know that there was a fine print that they could switch our hotel to an 'equivalent' one without letting us know. Do you think the Scandic is OK in your book? I think it's too late to find another now (our cruise leaves July 12th) but I might be able to kick up a fuss and wangle back into the SAS Royal. I'm a big Eero Saarinen fan . TIA!:)

This thread is great!! Thanks to everyone who has been nice enough to answer the questions posted. I thought I'd post this link that I found. It answered some basic questions I had, such as how for from Freeport to city center and how far from airport to city center. http://www.portprofiles.com/Baltic/Denmark/Copenhagen/faq.html.

The wife and I are on the Sept. 4 sailing of HAL's Rotterdam. We are arriving at 1:15 pm on the 3rd. I figure the very earliest we will be at our hotel is 2:00 pm. We are staying at Hotel 27, where the Ice Bar is located, which I gather is right near the Tivoli but I haven't figured out exactly how far. Anyone know? I haven't seen the hotel mentioned previously and it seems to get mixed reviews, but some of you may want to consider it. The hotel offers a light dinner buffet and a breakfast buffet, which we found appealing.

Anyway, I feel from reading this thread and given the location of our hotel that we want to see Stroget and the Tivoli, in no particular order. Currently we have a reservation at the Ice Bar on the 3rd at 7:30 pm. Assuming we get to our hotel at 2:00 that wouldn't give us very much time to explore Tivoli (esp. if we're trying to eat dinner before going to the Ice Bar). And I read earlier in the thread that they do not stamp at Tivoli, so no in/out privileges. Do you think that we should try to move back our Ice Bar reservation to 8:30 or later? Or would it make sense to try to walk around Stroget for a bit on the 3rd. Then we could see Tivoli as soon as it opens on the 4th. If Tivoli opens at 11:00 we could walk around and go on some rides until about 2:30 or so, then go back to the hotel and get a cab to Freeport. Is Tivoli worth going to if you can only see for a few hours?

I wish we had more time in Copenhagen, but was not possible on this trip. Just trying to figure out the best way to spend our time. Anyone have any other suggestions? I think mainly we wanted to stay in the vicinity of our hotel. Don't want to get worn out before our trip even begins! We were also interested in Ida Davidsen's possibly but I'm not sure where it's located in relation to our hotel. Also, the cruise will be going to Aarhus, which I realize may be very different from Copenhagen, but I figure we may be able to get more Danish food and drink there, such as smorebrod and Danish beer/aqkavit.

Thanks in advance.

I'm on the 8/1 Rottterdam cruise and will stay at Hotel 27 for a night. It received good reviews from Tripadvisor, the location looks great and the rate includes breakfast and dinner so if I don't choose to go out, I won't starve.

I'll arrive in the morning and plan to drop off my luggage at the hotel and do a canal tour (relaxing, no walking), grab a light lunch, check in and nap. That evening I plan to explore Tivoli and since it's a Friday night, enjoy the fireworks.

Does that sound like a good plan?

Carole

@ onthegogirl

Prepare to stay in line to get in because danish rapper Jokeren is playing on the main stage in Tivoli.

@ noteasilyimpressed

The hotel is brand new, it was in the Le Meredien chain before.

Jamie Oliver has created a kids menu for Scandics restaurants.

@ travelbug2225

Ribe is located on the other side of denmark so its a 3-4 hour drive from Copenhagen.

But a nice ride to Hillerød, Gilleleje and Helsingør/Elsinore in northern Zealand will be a nice ride to.

@DanishViking,

Thanks for your advice about not trying to see the Tivoli day of embarkation. We moved around our Ice Bar reservation the day before. I think we should be able to see Tivoli from around 2-3 pm to 8 pm or so. Then we go back to the hotel for the dinner buffet. Then go to Ice Bar at 10:00 pm. After that possibly try to visit a local pub or maybe the hotel bar. The bar at Hotel 27 is quite expensive but it looks like they are really great at cocktails.

Anyone know what the current taxi rates are? Or has this already been covered? This website lists airport to downtown for 200 DKK, from downtown to Freeport 110-160 DKK. This seems a little low to me.. Are cabs fairly cheap in Copenhagen, compared to the costs of everything else? http://www.copenhagenet.dk/CPH-Transport.htm

@ defaultet

I would expect a taxi from downtown Copenhagen to the freeport to be in the 150-180 DKK range.

A taxi to the airport is Around 300 DKK.

Ida davidsen is Located on Store Kongensgade almost in between Amalienborg and Rosenborg Castle, you can easily walk from Kongens Nytorv and Nyhavn.

http://www.idadavidsen.dk/index.php?page=8

The restaurant is open Monday to Friday 10:30 to 16:00.

The restaurant is closed Saturday, Sunday and all public holidays (Easter 9 - 13 April both dates included)

The restaurant is closed for vacation from the 4. July and opens again 4. August 2009.

My husband and I will be heading directly from Freeport to the CPH airport to catch a flight at the end of our cruise. HAL charges $44 per person for airport transportation. Are we better off just taking a taxi at the terminal? Are there always taxi's waiting at Freeport? The ship disembarks at 7am and we have a noon flight. I'm not sure how far away they are from each other.

Thank you!

Shirley

Archived