Any kids sailing solstice Dec 7

Has anyone with kids booked the Dec 7 sailing on the solstice. Mine will be 13 & 8 - anyone! Help:confused: Friends needed

Try posting this at your roll call; you are far more likely to get a response and it is a great way to chat (and later meet) other Cruise Critic members who will be on your cruise.

Go to: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=783709

Have a great cruise! :)

Try posting this at your roll call; you are far more likely to get a response and it is a great way to chat (and later meet) other Cruise Critic members who will be on your cruise.

Go to: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=783709

Have a great cruise! :)

Yes I posted that on the roll call but I didn't hear anything. I thought I just might find someone on the boards. Thank you for your response.:o

Just curious--is that a school vacation week? Seems a bit earlier than usual

No we're pulling the kids out of school. We will have the teachers prepare the lessons early or give them assignments to make up for missed work. I think that children get more education from travelling and talking to people from around the world then anything they learn in the classroom.

I guess once they hit high school it might be a problem with exams but for now it isn't an issue. We also take the kids away for Spring break, but honestly I find it zoo-ish. My kids are well behaved and they can easily sit at a table with adults and have a pleasant conversation. I have travelled during Spring break before and find some people have no control over their kids. When too many kids get together on a boat - I find it overwhelming and I'm sure the guests without kids must REALLY find it annoying.

I just want my kids to have fun - hopefully there are more kids on the ship

I would assume that this sailing will be similar to when I was on Century earlier this year.

You'll find mainly an older crowd onboard, but there should be about...

10-15 kids between ages 3 and 6

7-10 kids between ages 13 and 16

So, there won't be a whole lot, but there will be some.

On Century I went up to the teen center a few times to see if there was anybody else my age onboard. The first few times it was deserted except for some people who got lost on their way to Hemispheres (which was on the port side). Finally, about 8 PM-ish, I met up with some other kids my age. There were 7 or 8 in total.

Word of advice, your kids probably wont get any work done onboard. I took my books with me and got my work from my friends at home each day (my cell got service) but it didn't get done until I got home. So, save on the price of checking the bags on the plane and tell them to try and get their work done before or after.

"No we're pulling the kids out of school. We will have the teachers prepare the lessons early or give them assignments to make up for missed work. I think that children get more education from travelling and talking to people from around the world then anything they learn in the classroom"

Soooo...the educational benefits will be greater this particular week than, say, a week when they are out of school?

Hi,:) since this cruise is only 2 weeks prior to Christmas I doubt there

will be many kids on board (I could be wrong of course) but

I would think the amount of kids in your children's age range

would be at a minimum. (Most will be off between Christmas

and New Years which is almost 2 weeks) so I think most

will be in school this week.

I have seen the very little ones on quite a few cruises

but they are the ones who haven't started school yet;)

We cruise quite often during that time and I've found very few kids, and a much older average age, seems to go with cruises at that time of year. We were on board Summit last year during that time, and there were 2 school age kids on board, with a few toddlers and infants. With the good prices, there may be more kids, but seeing that this is between Thanksgiving and Christmas, parents tend not to take kids out during that time. That's why we usually like to refer to those "between" cruises as Grandma/Grandpa cruises.

As an aside, no matter what, I still have a problem when parents us a statement such as "they can learn more on a cruise than they will ever learn in a classroom". Take your kids out of school whenever you want---they're your kids and it's your choice. But seeing how it's so hard for teachers nowadays, please don't don't give kids the ammo that their classroom learning isn't valuable. Everything they learn in a classroom IS important, just as family time is necessary.

"No we're pulling the kids out of school. We will have the teachers prepare the lessons early or give them assignments to make up for missed work. I think that children get more education from travelling and talking to people from around the world then anything they learn in the classroom"

Soooo...the educational benefits will be greater this particular week than, say, a week when they are out of school?

Such sarcasim - really - you cannot be serious - please tell me you were kidding. If you were please disregard the rest of my post and accept my apology for rambling. I just feel pretty strong about this subject of pulling kids from school for vacations.

No I didn't say it would be any greater this week than than 2 weeks after.

We're however fortunate enough that we take several trips a year and we plan them around my husbands practice and the weather- not the schools schedule. (We have private tutors to teach any missed lessons)

There is a really big world out there to experience - you can experience it any time you want - you only have one chance in life - life is short and life is fragile -don't wait. Once children become adults they have enough to worry about - this is the perfect time to see the world and see how fortunate they really are.

This year the kids will also do Sweden, Norway, Germany and then next summer we would like to do Ireland, England and France. This cruise and our spring break holiday is just for pure mindless relaxation, some downtime and they will still be home to see their extended family for Christmas (which is very important to us - enjoy your family OFTEN). MY kids would be heartbroken to not spend Christmas with their cousins!

MY kids have already been to St Maarten and San Juan so the only new place they will see is St kitts and Im sure it's the same as all the other islands. However, when the kids do things like swim with dolphins, cave tube, kayak, take eco tours see different plant life, go on submarines to see the bottom of the ocean and just "get out there" they get life experience and learn while being outdoors and having fun. Example: My daughter was assigned to study dolphins this year for a project. Well she thought it was pretty cool when she walked into the classroom and presented her project with pictures of her hugging and swimming with dolphins - you can't do that in the classroom. I would rather take my child to a country and visit then point to the country on the globe. Well travelled people full of life experience fascinate me and honestly they seem happier.

Such sarcasm - really - you cannot be serious - please tell me you were kidding. If you were please disregard the rest of my post and accept my apology for rambling. I just feel pretty strong about this subject of pulling kids from school for vacations.

No I didn't say it would be any greater this week than than 2 weeks after.

We're however fortunate enough that we take several trips a year and we plan them around my husbands practice and the weather- not the schools schedule. (We have private tutors to teach any missed lessons)

There is a really big world out there to experience - you can experience it any time you want - you only have one chance in life - life is short and life is fragile -don't wait. Once children become adults they have enough to worry about - this is the perfect time to see the world and see how fortunate they really are.

This year the kids will also do Sweden, Norway, Germany and then next summer we would like to do Ireland, England and France. This cruise and our spring break holiday is just for pure mindless relaxation, some downtime and they will still be home to see their extended family for Christmas (which is very important to us - enjoy your family OFTEN). MY kids would be heartbroken to not spend Christmas with their cousins!

MY kids have already been to St Maarten and San Juan so the only new place they will see is St kitts and I'm sure it's the same as all the other islands. However, when the kids do things like swim with dolphins, cave tube, kayak, take Eco tours see different plant life, go on submarines to see the bottom of the ocean and just "get out there" they get life experience and learn while being outdoors and having fun. Example: My daughter was assigned to study dolphins this year for a project. Well she thought it was pretty cool when she walked into the classroom and presented her project with pictures of her hugging and swimming with dolphins - you can't do that in the classroom. I would rather take my child to a country and visit then point to the country on the globe. Well traveled people full of life experience fascinate me and honestly they seem happier.

HURRAY! YOU ARE SO RIGHT! I have no idea where your children go to school or what the schools are like where you are. But my opinion of most public schools is VERY low. Most public schools teach to the children in the classrooms that are on the lowest level, and too bad for your children. If you go in and complain that your child(ren) are bored because they are not learning anything or not challenged they give you their "talking point" answers. Did any of you ever read "The Dumbing Down of America"? It should be required reading for every citizen that really cares about their child getting an education.

Your children WILL learn a lot more by what you are doing, traveling with them and giving them you attention than sitting in a classroom for that week. I remember (a long time ago) we sent our daughter to a wonderful summer camp, a neighbor asked me why we "sent her away" she actually said "don't you like her?"! Our daughter went to that camp for 6 summers, along with girls from all over the US and France, South America and Central America and England. She later worked there as a Counselor and one summer as their Camp Nurse - to round out her "career there". I have her tell people that her 'career' there was as important to her as her college degree. She grew up to marry a Naval Officer and has traveled and lived all over the Globe. Her Dad and I believe her experiences as a child are the reason she was able to travel and live anywhere and be so adaptable while so many of the other wives were whining and crying about "going home". Our DD told them, your DH, is here, your paycheck is here, your children are here - this IS HOME - suck it up!

Children that have parents that expose them to these excellent experiences are SO lucky!:D

HURRAY! YOU ARE SO RIGHT! I have no idea where your children go to school or what the schools are like where you are. But my opinion of most public schools is VERY low. Most public schools teach to the children in the classrooms that are on the lowest level, and too bad for your children. If you go in and complain that your child(ren) are bored because they are not learning anything or not challenged they give you their "talking point" answers. Did any of you ever read "The Dumbing Down of America"? It should be required reading for every citizen that really cares about their child getting an education.

Your children WILL learn a lot more by what you are doing, traveling with them and giving them you attention than sitting in a classroom for that week. I remember (a long time ago) we sent our daughter to a wonderful summer camp, a neighbor asked me why we "sent her away" she actually said "don't you like her?"! Our daughter went to that camp for 6 summers, along with girls from all over the US and France, South America and Central America and England. She later worked there as a Counselor and one summer as their Camp Nurse - to round out her "career there". I have her tell people that her 'career' there was as important to her as her college degree. She grew up to marry a Naval Officer and has traveled and lived all over the Globe. Her Dad and I believe her experiences as a child are the reason she was able to travel and live anywhere and be so adaptable while so many of the other wives were whining and crying about "going home". Our DD told them, your DH, is here, your paycheck is here, your children are here - this IS HOME - suck it up!

Children that have parents that expose them to these excellent experiences are SO lucky!:D

Thanks for understanding. I also agree about the camp experience. MY oldest attends summer camp and she is counting down the days until it begins.

Once I read the first post in this thread I knew some know-it-all would share their opinion about taking the kids out of school. Your explanation is great but completely unnecessary. It is no one's business when you take your family vacations. You were only asking if there would be any other kids on board. It is a simple question that does not require anyone's additional commentary. Have a great time.

If that were true...there would be one question, and one answer on every thread. Its a discussion board. We discuss.

Yes "fancy", my comment was typed with tongue in cheek. Apology for rambling accepted.

About 15 years ago we took Bill's granddaughter, 10 years old at the time, out of school in early May so she missed the last couple of weeks. We 3 traveled for 2 months in our motorhome all over the Southwest and then across the northern part of mid-America and down through the Smokies before returning home. Her teacher asked that she learn cursive writing and multiplication during the trip so she would be ready for school in the Fall. I had her keep a journal, which started out in messy manuscript, then neat manuscript, then tentative cursive and finally in lovely cursive. Along with multiplication we also did lessons in spelling and reading comprehension. We all had a wounderful time and our granddaughter had a wonderful learning experience. Unfortunately within a month of returning to school her cursive writing and mastery of multiplication disappeared. Had I been younger I might have continued to home (or motorhome!) school her.

From the time our daughter was six until she entered high school, we took her out of school for a winter (January or February) cruise each year. We lived where winters were awful and she was a great student who was always capable of keeping up with her schoolwork. Plus we didn't (and still don't) want to cruise at times when there are hundreds of children on a ship. With the exception of one ten-day cruise, there were always some children onboard and our daughter always found other children to share the ship with. On the cruise where she was the only child (still one of our favorites), the kids staff member treated her like a sister and took her to places the kids would never get to go because she was the only child in the kids program. We still talk about that cruise (on Crown Princess) all the time.

I'm sure your kids will have a great time. ENJOY!

Has anyone with kids booked the Dec 7 sailing on the solstice. Mine will be 13 & 8 - anyone! Help:confused: Friends needed

Hi, I was seing that your cruise is from: Dec 7 to Dec 14, and that days is not vacation days, so that's the problem. I have heard that in cruise like that go no more than 20 kids, (in one cruise they only go 8 kids) so that's the problem, but there will be many activities that your kids will have fun with or without other kids.

Archived