Zaandam Review May 11 - 25 (14 Day Alaska)

TomAndJane

First let me say, this was the first time my wife and I have sailed Holland (not first time cruises but new to Holland). We are in our mid/upper 40s and weren't sure what to expect. We LOVED the Zaandam. The staff and crew were the best. Now for the review:

Embarkation: First time we have been to Vancouver and we really liked it. Spent a couple days there before the cruise and enjoyed seeing most of the city. On the day of embarkation we arrived at the terminal around 11:00 a.m. Stood in the security line for about 20 minutes and then they started letting us in. After security stood in the Customs line for about 15 minutes. No big deal. After that we went straight to a Holland rep, took our pictures and BAM, we were on board. Of course they were directing us to the Lido for lunch so that is were we went (More on food later). Afterwards we went to what became our favorite hang-out from early morning wildlife viewing to evening cocktails, the Crows Nest.

I am not going to do a day by day review of what we did the rest of the cruise but just my impressions. Hopefully won't bore anyone that way.

Alaska Excursions: This was our third time to Alaska. In most of the ports we either had private excursions planned or just hiked trails. The North bound visit to Juneau we did an excursion that took us down to the Tracy Arm Fjord to visit the Sawyer Glacier. We had been to Tracy Arm before so that is why we choose this trip. It was an all day affair from 8:00 to 6:00 p.m. The trip was well worth it except it was really, really rough on the way back. The captain said in his 15 years he had never seen it so rough. People were seasick and one lady actually was tossed out of her chair. We saw numerous humpbacks, sea lions and a Mountain goat with her kid. Well worth the price.

We we arrived in Seward we did the Kenai Fjords six hour excursion purchased prior to the cruise. This turned out to be something more than I had expected. Every time we saw any wildlife, the captain would stop, explain what we were seeing, etc. We say one Black bear so close that we could actually see the brown in his muzzle and his eyes. In addition to that we saw numerous puffins, eagles, orcas and sea lions. What an experience. If you go to Seward, do the Kenai Fjords National Park boat excursion (at least the six hour one). Oh by the way, we went to one of the glaciers and it was fantastic.

In Haines, we did the Wildlife River excursion bought through Holland. We were on the very first boat out that morning. The bus driver said we were lucky to be on the first boat because that is when you usually see the moose. He was right, we saw a female moose. That was exciting. We also saw several eagles and beautiful scenery.

Other than that, the second time in Juneau we rented a car and did out the road. Chased a couple of Humpbacks back and forth (i.e. When the flukes would go down, we would drive down the road and wait.). We followed them for about 45 minutes and they were so close to us one time, we could actually hear them breath when they would surface.

The first time in Ketchikan, we took the city bus (blue line) to Totem State Part. During the month of May the bus was free. It was nice seeing the Totem Poles and I had printed off the meaing of each before we left so that was also nice knowing what each one meant. Also saw a Humpback by the shore here. Watched if for another 15 minutes or so.

Also for those people that are wildlife freaks, if you look in open grassy areas on the sides of mountains you may see bears like we did. First time I saw a black bear, I thought it was a black rock rolling down the hill but then it went into the bushes, came back out and went up the hill. I started following it with my binoculars (You have to have binoculars) and watched it for a good 5 minutes. So be on the lookout.

Weather: The first week of the trip it seemed like we had one good day, one bad day. Ketchikan up and back was beautiful with temps in the upper 50s and lower 60s. Juneau on the way up was HORRIBLE!!!!! On the way back cloudy and low 50s. Skagway was sunny but the wind was so strong we had to park in a different place and left 5 hours early because of a high wind warning (suppose to reach 60 - 70 knots by nightfall). Haines was in the low 50s. So over all not bad but be prepared for every thing.

Glacier Bay: Glacier Bay was wonderful. The first trip up it was cloudy, rainy and cold so we could not see much of the scenery (mountain tops) but once we got to Marjerie Glacier it was cool. We sat in front of her for about 1 1/2 hours and seen several major calving. The second trip was crystal clear and ABSOLUTLEY beautiful. Once again we saw major calving but we also got a wonderful view of John Hopkins Glacier. P.S. Loved the Green Pea Soup!!!

College Fjord: Been there before but it was still impressive. Beautiful weather both times.

Wildlife: My wife and I spent hours upon hours looking for wildlife. We do not get into all the ships activities. Instead we look for wildlife and we were not disappointed. We saw humpback whales EVERY day, Orcas, seals, seal lions, dolphins, eagles, puffins, bears (from Cruise ship as well), etc. etc. The best place for Humpbacks is Icy Strait. If you are going to Glacier Bay from Skagway about two hours before you get to Glacier Bay be looking. If you are coming from Glacier Bay going South, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours after the Ranger is dropped off be looking. On the way up, we saw single whales feeding in the area (i.e. Coming out of the water with mouth open, WOW). On the way south, we actually got to see Bubble Net Attacks 5 or 6 times. This is where the Humpbacks work together and all come out of the water at one time (4 or 5 Humpbacks at once coming out of the water with their mouths open...We were jumping up and down...What a site). We saw breaching during the trip, tail slaps, an Orca attack a seal, etc. The sad part is that I met people the last night of the cruise that said they had not seen any wildlife at all!!!!!

Food: The food was outstanding. What surprised us is that on a couple of occasions we decided to eat in the Lido for dinner, the Lido offered the same menu that the Main Dining rooms did!!!!! That was totally unexpected and amazed us. We had AYWD and really enjoyed that part. We only had to wait on time (one of the formal nights) for about 15 minutes. Other than that, no wait at all and we always requested a table for two. For the most part we love the food. Sometimes the steak products were a little chewy but that is because I ordered them well done (my choice so no complaint). The service, even in the Lido, was the best service we have had on all our cruises. For all those ladies, Patrick will sing to you at breakfast and lunch in the Lido......

Dress: For all those that say jeans are not allowed on Holland in the dining rooms (we did not wear them to the Dining room -- followed suggested rules), they are. We saw people in jeans every night in the Main Dining room except on Formal nights. As far as I am concerned, if the Matre'D allows them in, then it is o.k. by me. That isn't going to screw up my vacation!!!!

Entertainment: The entertainment was just o.k. Katrina and the HAL Cats were, lets say, poor. The piano guy was o.k and the shows o.k.

Disembarkation: Nothing but smooth!!!!!!

Staff and Crew: THE BEST!!!! ABSOLUTELY THE BEST. Ali our room steward was by far the best we have had. The waiters and wait staff in the dining rooms and Lido, the best we have ever had. The Bar staff, best we have ever had. If any one sees the bartenders Robert and Michael - Tell them Tom and Jane said hello. If any one see's the bar waiters Marcel or Aldren - Tell them Tom and Jane say Hello.

Complaints: The only complaint I would have is that the Lido needs to stay open past 8:00 p.m. Some of the port days are long and if you are on an excursion that gets back at 7:45 or 8:00 p.m. you can not eat in the Lido and are forced to eat in the Dining room IF you have enough time to get ready. If you don't, you have to order room service.

Zaandam: Loved, loved, loved this ship. Every where we went we were comfortable, never felt crowded, etc. We will be back on her again!!!!

Overall Rating: Two weeks on the Zaandam spoiled us. All other cruises will have to measure up to this one and that will be hard to do... 5 stars out of 5!!!!!

Hope I didn't bore any one....

My Friend Bev was on this cruise and when she told me it about it, she had your same impressions. When I told her we were going on the Zaandam for a two Hawaii Cruise in Feb. 09, she couldn't wait to ask husband if they could go with us.

Its great to hear good things about a ship you have booked. We have sailed HAL 4 times before and always had good experiences. :D :D :D

Tom and Jane~~~Your review was great. We were on an April RT to Hawaii, and we also LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this ship.

Our favorite place is the Explorations Cafe. Their Lattes are great.

I lived vicariously thru' your review. :D I am planning Alaska for 2010.

Pat

We were on board with Sassyredhat (hi, Pat and Mike) and absolutely loved every minute.

If anyone has Sapto and Ridwan as table stewards, you have wonderful guys. And a big Hi! to Angelo, our wine steward. Loved all three.

Thank you for the review!! We will be on Zaandam 3 weeks from now and your review kited up my excitement even further. The cruise docs arrived yesterday which fueled the fire too!

Thank you for the Lido hours, we will get back to the ship around 7 or 8pm in some ports. Also the jeans comment is very helpful; we don't dress like slobs but definitely like to go casual except on formal nights.

Thanks for your review. I have a few questions about the bus to Totem Bight: Where did you catch the bus...at Front Street & the Tunnel? Was the bus ride back to the ship a lot longer than the bus to the state park? I'm trying to read the bus schedule, and don't understand what happens after the bus leaves the Plaza Mall, because the times change to much earlier ones.

The North bound visit to Juneau we did an excursion that took us down to the Tracy Arm Fjord to visit the Sawyer Glacier. We had been to Tracy Arm before so that is why we choose this trip. It was an all day affair from 8:00 to 6:00 p.m. The trip was well worth it except it was really, really rough on the way back. The captain said in his 15 years he had never seen it so rough. People were seasick and one lady actually was tossed out of her chair. We saw numerous humpbacks, sea lions and a Mountain goat with her kid. Well worth the price.

What day did you take the trip to Tracy Arm? We were on the May 14th Adventure Bound sailing to Tracy Arm that was VERY rough. Were you on the same exursion?

B

Great review! Glad you liked the Zaandam. She was the first HAL ship I sailed on and while I enjoy the new Vista ships I miss the intimacy of the Zaandam. Another plus was the fact it was so easy to get around that ship!

Thanks for the review.

Thanks for your thorough review - I really enjoyed it. I remember bartender Robert and waiter Marcel. We felt like old friends by the time our 15 days were over. I always see the CREW as one of the best reasons to sail HAL. Glad you had such a wonderful trip!

Thanks for your review. I have a few questions about the bus to Totem Bight: Where did you catch the bus...at Front Street & the Tunnel? Was the bus ride back to the ship a lot longer than the bus to the state park? I'm trying to read the bus schedule, and don't understand what happens after the bus leaves the Plaza Mall, because the times change to much earlier ones.

We went to the Courthouse (Building beside courthouse had the schedule) and went to the corner where the bus stop was. It was before the tunnel but I don't remember the street name. The bus arrived hourly at Totem Bight. The bus ride back wasn't any longer than the bus ride up. I believe we got on the bus at 9:15 a.m. in downtown Ketchikan and got off the bus at 9:45 a.m. and got back on at 10:45 a.m. to go back to Ketchikan. Bus driver was very nice and answered tons of questions. We were on the Blue Line. I know that other lines went to different places in Ketchikan but the Blue Line is the only line that goes to Totem Bight State Park.

What day did you take the trip to Tracy Arm? We were on the May 14th Adventure Bound sailing to Tracy Arm that was VERY rough. Were you on the same exursion?

B

Yes we were on the May 14th Adventure Bound sailing. We were the ones that came running down right before she left because we couldn't get off the ship until almost right at 8:00a.m. Small, small world!!!!!!!!

We went to the Courthouse (Building beside courthouse had the schedule) and went to the corner where the bus stop was. It was before the tunnel but I don't remember the street name. The bus arrived hourly at Totem Bight. The bus ride back wasn't any longer than the bus ride up. I believe we got on the bus at 9:15 a.m. in downtown Ketchikan and got off the bus at 9:45 a.m. and got back on at 10:45 a.m. to go back to Ketchikan. Bus driver was very nice and answered tons of questions. We were on the Blue Line. I know that other lines went to different places in Ketchikan but the Blue Line is the only line that goes to Totem Bight State Park.

Thanks for your help. :) Looking at the bus schedule, they arrive at Totem Bight a quarter past the hour.

Yes we were on the May 14th Adventure Bound sailing. We were the ones that came running down right before she left because we couldn't get off the ship until almost right at 8:00a.m. Small, small world!!!!!!!!

It is a small world. The excursion was well worth enduring the rough seas although at one point I was scoping out the shore to find a place to swim to!

B

It is a small world. The excursion was well worth enduring the rough seas although at one point I was scoping out the shore to find a place to swim to!

B

I was to on the way back. Thought we may have to abandon ship at Sawyer Glacier to when we went through the ice pack and almost got stuck!!!!!!!!:)

thanks for your review of the Zaandam. I will be going on the Zaandam shortly and it makes me even more anxious to get out of town.

If you would not mind answering a question.

Are there refigerators in the cabins on this ship. We are booked Cat E outside.

thanks

Norma

I was to on the way back. Thought we may have to abandon ship at Sawyer Glacier to when we went through the ice pack and almost got stuck!!!!!!!!:)

I see by your signature you're sailing to Alaska on the NCL Pearl in May of '09. Any particular reason you're returning to NCL instead of sailing again with HAL?

We are booked to sail on the Volendam in May of '09. The itinerary includes both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. We've sailed this itinerary on the Volendam previously and loved it.

B

I will be going on the Zaandam shortly .

The Zaandam, just as the other S- and R-class ships only have a fridge in the balcony (and up) cabins.

You can rent one for a small charge, however. If you do want one, have your TA request it ASAP. Do know, though, that it will go under your desk, making it difficult to sit there.

thanks for your review of the Zaandam. I will be going on the Zaandam shortly and it makes me even more anxious to get out of town.

thanks

Norma

We at a Cat G outside room. Our room had a refrigerator but we requested it prior to the cruise. We contacted HAL and they put the request in. It was suppose to cost $2 a day but we did not get charged for it. Enjoy your cruise!!!!!!

I see by your signature you're sailing to Alaska on the NCL Pearl in May of '09. Any particular reason you're returning to NCL instead of sailing again with HAL?

We are booked to sail on the Volendam in May of '09. The itinerary includes both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. We've sailed this itinerary on the Volendam previously and loved it.

B

We have an NCL credit card and are taking my mom and dad on a 50th anniversary cruise. We will be getting about $1500 off the cruise. By going with NCL and getting the CC discount, we can now afford to pay for their airfare, shore excursions, etc. Matter of finance not preferred cruise line!!!!:)

Archived