Sunblock/sunscreen question

I am going to be on the Majesty in July going to Cococay. I have rented a floating mat, and it is my desire to just wile the time away floating around. I plan to take a couple beach towels, throw them in the water, then have my daughter lay them over me so that the sun doesn't beat down directly on me. She will occasionally resoak the towels as they dry out. In case this proves to be too hot, I need to know what Sunblock/sunscreen is the "theres no getting through this sucker" brand that is waterproof and will withstand what I am planning on doing. Any ideas?

Also, this is the dumb part of my post.:D When people are on Cococay, is there any rules as to how far out you can swim/float/snorkel, etc? Are there lifeguards? What safeguards are there to keep a person from falling asleep on a mat and just drifting out of sight? Dumb questions I know, but curious anyway, having never been there.

First of all, I assume you mean you will lay the wet towels over your body....so your face will still be exposed?

There are many good sunscreens out there....I would reccomend the highest SPF you can find....I know I've seen at least 70....that protects from both kinds of sun rays....WATERPROOF....SWEATPROOF.....maybe a

sports type sunscreen that won't run into your eyes.

Also, just my observation, but I'm assuming it will be pretty hot there....are you going to be comfortable with those heavy wet towels laying on you?

Maybe getting one of those new sunproof (SPF) type shirts and wearing it in the water would help and be more comfortable? Then, just lay the towels over your legs?

Whatever you do, BE CAREFUL and relax and have a wonderful time!

What safeguards are there to keep a person from falling asleep on a mat and just drifting out of sight?

They hire a special water attendant who has one of those poles with a tickler on it and he/she swims back and forth between "floaters" tickling their feet to keep them awake. Be sure to tip for this service; average amount is $1 US per hour in the water.

What safeguards are there to keep a person from falling asleep on a mat and just drifting out of sight?

They hire a special water attendant who has one of those poles with a tickler on it and he/she swims back and forth between "floaters" tickling their feet to keep them awake. Be sure to tip for this service; average amount is $1 US per hour in the water.

OK, you've got to be kidding right??????

If you go to the main beach area there are life guards and it a contained swimming area. Wear swim shoes as the bottom is very rocky and it is very shallow even quite far out. At least it was when we were there last fall. Instead of all of the towels and stuff why not just buy a sun screen with a HIGH SPF and waterproof like BULLFROG and apply it heavily?

Reapply often. Sounds like a like more fun. It works for babies it should work for you. My DH is VERY fair and burns in a NY minute, I take the Bull Frog spray and keep him covered with it- he bitc**s but I spray him anyway! He never burns now!

Do not underestimate how wonderful it is to lay on one of their beach chair under a palm tree. It was heavenly! DH brought me cool drinks (iced tea) and I felt like I could have laid there for the rest of my life. The sound of the breeze through the palm fronds and the sun sparkling on the water - I am ready to go back!:D

The water was too much work - trying to walk on all of those rocks!

The food was good, nice shaded tables to eat. Wonderful day.

OK, you've got to be kidding right??????

Of course. I just thought your question was very funny! You will be the only one responsible for keeping yourself from floating away.

Your towel idea will be really hot and uncomfortable, IMO. Floating out on the water for a long period of time, even with sunscreen has a high probability that you will end up with a very nasty sunburn.

Your towel idea will be really hot and uncomfortable, IMO. Floating out on the water for a long period of time, even with sunscreen has a high probability that you will end up with a very nasty sunburn.

Towel idea is a bad one.

Third recommendation for Bullfrog. Make sure you get the gel.

There are PLENTY of sunblocks--just use them and forget the wet towel thing! And you want sunBLOCK--not sunSCREEN, if you don't want a single ray to hit your body. Apply it 1/2 before you hit the beach, for best results!

So, if using a towel is a bad idea, and I don't trust just sunblock, then is there any type of cloth, sheet, cover-up, etc. that is made of SPF fabric so that I can use that to shield myself from the sun? The reason I ask is this...

18 years ago, on my honeymoon, my DH and I went on the now defunct Premier cruise line to the bahamas. I put on sunblock, etc. but only to my knees. Dumb me. I told my husband that I would be wading in waist deep water, so didn't need sunblock on my lower legs and feet. BIG MISTAKE!!! To make a long story short, I was so burned that my skin on the lower legs cracked, the ship doctor had me using some type of cream 24 hours a day, I was put in a wheel chair and had to keep my feet elevated so they would have the least swelling. I ended up spending the rest of the cruise in wheel chair and with my feet elevated against the cabin wall laying on the bed because of the swelling and pain. I had to get special permission written by the ships doctor so that I could board the plane to go home barefoot since no shoes fit. I don't want that experience again, but want to be able to float around SO BAD!!!

So, if using a towel is a bad idea, and I don't trust just sunblock, then is there any type of cloth, sheet, cover-up, etc. that is made of SPF fabric so that I can use that to shield myself from the sun? The reason I ask is this...

18 years ago, on my honeymoon, my DH and I went on the now defunct Premier cruise line to the bahamas. I put on sunblock, etc. but only to my knees. Dumb me. I told my husband that I would be wading in waist deep water, so didn't need sunblock on my lower legs and feet. BIG MISTAKE!!! To make a long story short, I was so burned that my skin on the lower legs cracked, the ship doctor had me using some type of cream 24 hours a day, I was put in a wheel chair and had to keep my feet elevated so they would have the least swelling. I ended up spending the rest of the cruise in wheel chair and with my feet elevated against the cabin wall laying on the bed because of the swelling and pain. I had to get special permission written by the ships doctor so that I could board the plane to go home barefoot since no shoes fit. I don't want that experience again, but want to be able to float around SO BAD!!!

Sunblock has come along way in 18 years. You used to only really be able to get SPF15 - now you can get SPF50. That is over 3 times better protection.

Sunblock is reliable, you just have to use it properly. I come from New Zealand where because of the hole in the ozone layer, burn times are quicker than most places in the world and as a result there is a lot of advice about sun protection to help in the prevention of skin cancers. On a hot day in NZ the burn time can be as low as 10 minutes. Sunblock is accused of not working mostly when it is not applied properly - as was the case when you got badly burnt 18 years ago.

Put it on at least 30 minutes before going in the sun. Put it underneath your bathing suit. As the material does not stop the UV rays getting through. If I know I am going to spend a lot of time in the sun I put sunblock before I get dressed, it means that I don't miss anywhere because of straps or sleeves moving.

You should apply sun screen at least every 2 hours and make sure you use a hat to avoid a burnt scalp and sunglasses with UV protection.

Both water and snow reflect sunlight, so extra careful attention is needed in the sea, in swimming pools and while skiing.

If you are fair skinned and burn easily you really should not spend any longer than 2 hours in the sun before you come into the shade for some time. Prime time for burning is when the sun is highest in the sun, between 11am and 2pm.

And use ENOUGH of it. To cover your body, you need an ounce. That's a full shot glass of sunscreen! And make sure you reapply just as much, as often as recommended on the bottle.

Surely at some point during your float you are going to want to come in to use a bathroom, get a drink, some food, right? Perfect time to reapply sunblock as needed.

There are many types of clothing that block sun (a typical white t-shirt has an spf of 3 or something, I think) Just look at outdoor clothing websites--they'll give spfs of the clothing when applicable. But for a water day, beyond maybe a rashguard type shirt, I would just rely on a chemical block and not clothing.

Why don't you trust sunblock? You already stated your bad burn was your own fault?

No, there is no sunblock sheet that will protect you the way sunblock will.

Also, don't try to use someone elses sunblock. It only has a shelf life of about 18 months and you don't know how old someone else sunblock is.

Remember, you will be getting sun trifold so you need to use sunblock on the ship; direct sun, sun off the reflection of the water, sun off the reflection of the ship.

Put sunblock on every morning. All it takes is a couple of minutes in the sun to start burning.

I plan to take a couple beach towels, throw them in the water, then have my daughter lay them over me so that the sun doesn't beat down directly on me. She will occasionally resoak the towels as they dry out.

Get a good sunblock (Bullfrog is great, but so is Neutragena with helioplex) and forget the towel idea. I think your daughter will thank you. Won't she have better things to do, than make sure you're cool and covered? :o

The only thing I can add to the suggestions is that even if the sunblock is labelled waterproof, it is not rub-proof. If you use a towel to dry off, apply more sunscreen. When you first hit the beach, even if you have already applied sunblock, apply more where your clothing rubbed against your skin, especially areas where your straps are and the leg openings of your bathing suit bottom.

If I sunburn at all it is always in these areas. I prefer to just get out of the sun after a half hour or so.

We are all fair, fair, fair and moley, and my mom has had melanoma and basal cell sarcoma plus my father-in-law has had a different kind of skin cancer so we're VERY careful. We wear what the surfers wear--rashguards. Some of them are VERY cute. One site is : http://www.rashguardshirtco.com/ If you google 'rashguard,' there are numerous choices.

But there is also sunblock clothing out there. Try Travelsmith or Magellans. Or this one: http://www.coolibar.com/women-s-clothing.html

We also like Banana Boat sunscreen, spf 30. We reapply, reapply, reapply.

Good luck! You CAN go to the beach and not burn if you're very, very careful.

Robin

I echo the recommendations to not do the towel idea. Use a high SPF and reapply a few times, simple as that. My husband is Irish and very pale. Never had a problem with burning and we were in Jamaica for a week.

If you really want to wear SPF clothing, I've read about a new laundry detergent or additive called SunGuard. I have no experience with it but you use it in your laundry and it somehow adds SPF to your clothing. Again, never used it but it may be worth some research.

when I'm going to spend a bit of time in the water, I put on a rashguard. I've got a few. Right now, Athleta (http://www.athleta.com) and Sahalie (http://www.sahalie.com) have some really nice ones.

I also use AleGator SPF 40 sunblock lotion. So far, it's been the best stuff I've found. I've used it in Hawaii and Puerto Rico and Arizona. I always put it on about 30 minutes before I go outside. I apply it before I put my bathing suit on - it minimizes the chance of burn at the edges of the suit. There is also a SPF 40+ sunblock gel. I haven't used it, but it has good ratings for mega water use. I buy mine at my local REI (outdoor store). If you don't have one nearby, do a websearch.

when I'm going to spend a bit of time in the water, I put on a rashguard. I've got a few. Right now, Athleta (www.athleta.com) and Sahalie (www.sahalie.com) have some really nice ones.

Wow! Love that ruched guard at athleta! Running to get credit card. I take my kids to swim team every day and usually spend two hours hanging out at the pool, plus we're spending ten days at our favorite lake over July 4th. So now I'll be set with a REALLY CUTE new rashguard. Thanks!

Robin

I most love the Body Glove rash guards. Great colors, great fit! My favorite "swimsuit" is my electric blue Body Glove with my black Nike running shorts (the really short, fitted ones). I bought a really inexpensive black bikini top to wear under the rash guard. Protects and looks really cute, to boot!

I rented the floating mat at Labadee and (once I got the hang out of getting on it without it popping out from under me:rolleyes: ) it was the most relaxing experience.

I agree with the previous posts - use SPF 50 and above (I burn easily, but had a good base and used SPF30 in Labadee), better to spend the money to buy new than worry about the expiration date (rarely marked clearly), and reapply especially after towel-drying, or sweating.

ALSO, even if you are floating on your stomach on the mat, don't assume you don't have to worry about your face, chest or anyplace else that the water will reflect off of. Spend the time for good coverage, and then RELAX!

Archived