Laptops

robo1234

Princess has recently been changing their policy regarding laptops, as they wire their ships for ship-wide wifi. When we were recently on the Grand Princess transatlantic (this April/May) the internet packages could be used for the internet cafe and/or WIFI. Since we are Elite, we got hundreds of free minutes which we used in our cabin (with our laptop). If you had to pay for these packages, $100 would buy you about 400 minutes, and there were cheaper packages where you did pay more per minutes (probably averages 45 cents per minute). Keep in mind that the connections can be very slow. A nice thing about having your laptop is you can connect to the internet, download your e-mails and than immediately log-off. Once you do all your e-mail you simply log-on for a minute and send the e-mails. This saves lots of time over the internet cafe where you are constantly on-line while doing e-mail.

Hank

silvercruiser.

I have a Asus Eee Pc. 2 pounds. 9x6x1". $400 /new. Very handy to take on Princess cruises. Downside is small keyboard, but I do more reading than typing when traveling anyway.

1. Which size solid state disk did you get?

2. Web site says it will automatically connect to internet whenever it detects it. What did you do to keep from being connected to the ship's internet when you did not want to be connected?

I's cruising next weekend, have a Suite 3 floors directly above the Internet cafe. My HP Laptop has an exceptional WiFi system in it. We had in-suite Wifi on the Maasdam the whole cruise two years ago. Suites on Princess have unlimited free WiFi. I will test it out and see if it is Cafe only or some distance to roam.

Good Surfin'

silvercruiser.

I have a Asus Eee Pc. 2 pounds. 9x6x1". $400 /new. Very handy to take on Princess cruises. Downside is small keyboard, but I do more reading than typing when traveling anyway.

Ditto here. We love our Asus Eee and used it on a recent trans-Atlantic. We were able to Skype in the Azores (the ship simply doesn't have enough bandwidth) at an internet cafe and that, alone was worth it - it caused quite a sensation when our son appeared on the screen and we spoke to him. (I could have sold this little 'puter several times during the cruise!:D )

I still can't figure out how to download the e-mail and read it offline. Where do you send it?

I used to setup outlook to sync with my comcast account. If you do something like that when you are online and open up outlook it will pull all the email down onto your computer. Then after you have that done you can work offline and compose and send email that will be stored in the outlook outgoing box. Once you log back online outlook will send it all out. You can search the email help from your provider as I believe most of the major providers do offer this option, it requires you setting up the right user name and password in outlook.

Good luck

Suites on Princess have unlimited free WiFi.

Free WiFi, or free internet?

Is this a new development? I was on the Diamond two years ago (9/06) in a PH and got free internet-cafe use, but was charged $0.35/min to use my laptop. I'm in a PH again on my upcoming Ruby voyage, and it would be nice if it's now free WiFi too- I have to bring my laptop along on this trip, too.

I'm leaning toward the asus eee that runs about $450, has the 8"+ screen and has XP instead of Linus. Still only weighs about 2 lbs. and the same size as the one w/smaller screen.

These are very nice compact/light devices perfect for simply wireless surfing. Be forewarned that they don't have harddrives, so even with expanded Flashmemory and cut down xp you will likely only have a couple gig of storage. You can add a flash drive for gig's more, but you WON'T be able to run Word/PP/Excel or other memory hogging applications.

My son was eyeing it but ended up getting a itouch

Small, lightweight, easily portable mini laptop built-in wifi and MORE:

iPhone

Now only $199.

Or if you must have a real keyboard:

MacBook Air

It weighs 3 lbs, and runs $1800.

Or if you don't mind a few lbs more for less:

MacBook

$1100.

All so much simpler than PCs, plus no spyware or viruses!

I recently purchased the hp2133 with XP. It is amazing!! Fast, small, but the keyboard is 92% of full size. Case is metal and still weights in at less the 2 lbs. Leaving in a few weeks for Alaska and it will be with me for pic uploads and possible wifi.

My suggestion would be to go out to best buy or some other large computer store and check them out.

Princess emailed a change in benefits for Platinum and Elite members today. They are allowing the internet packages you purchase with your Internet Credit to now be used on your laptop or in the Internet Cafe on their equipment. Looks they are finally standardizing this policy so you can use laptops throughout the fleet. Makes it much easier to download your email messages and log off - then you can compose messages offline and send a batch when you log back in. Should really stretch out those package minutes.

Would Linux be hard to adjust to after using XP for a long time?

I have used linux for many years. It is different, but also very similar. You would be able to use it quickly.

Small, lightweight, easily portable mini laptop built-in wifi and MORE:

iPhone

Now only $199.

Or if you must have a real keyboard:

MacBook Airis

It weighs 3 lbs, and runs $1800.

Or if you don't mind a few lbs more for less:

MacBook

$1100.

All so much simpler than PCs, plus no spyware or viruses!

Linux also is without spyware or viruses and can be installed on most PC hardware (including MACs). BTW Mac OS10 and higher is based on the same code as linux.

Rich

RE: eee pc

It does not automatically connect to wifi, and even if it did, until you logged in with your room#id and password, you would not be charged.

I have the 7" 4 gigabyte model Eec PC. They have recently come out with a 9" model.

I am using the linux option. It is totally graphic. Although I am totally used to using windows XP at work and home, I strongly enjoy not having windows XP on tne eee PC. The reason is that it does just fine with web access and email access without Windows. It is much less of a hassle, and much faster.

Do not think of your ultraportable, whether it be a HP or an Eee PC as your only computer.

An ultraportable does not need much storage. I have the 4G version and have a 4G SD memory card additionally. If all you are doing is surfing the web and doing email you just dont need a lot of memory.

I am very happy with the eee PC. If I were doing it over again I might consider the 9" screen over the 7" (about $549 versus $399, but on the other hand, if my $399 eee pc gets damaged / dropped / stolen / I won't lose a lot of sleep over it.

RE: eee pc Word/excel etc

The linux eee pc comes with "open office". It will read word/excel files just fine.

"open office" can also save in word and excel format.

having said that, most of the time, on vacation ,I am just reading and replying to email, so doesn't matter that much.,

Just read a newsletter from Captains circle: Wireless Internet now included in Member Internet Packages.

Complimentary Internet Packages

Each Platinum Member will receive a credit towards the purchase of a package in our Internet Cafés or on a personal laptop! Our current internet packages onboard are now expanded to include wireless internet! Currently this is offered as a benefit on most of our fleet. Coral Princess, Golden Princess,and Royal Princess will offer wireless as part of Member benefits by Winter 2008!

$75 for voyages of 7 days or less (equivalent to 150 minute package)

$100 for voyages of 8-20 days (equivalent to 250 minute package)

$200 for voyages of 21 or more days (equivalent to two 250 minute packages)

You can use your credit towards a larger package if necessary, or enjoy all those minutes - compliments of the Princess Captain's Circle!

KenP ... I'd only use the asus eee pc for travel, as I have a pretty powerful DELL here at home. One question: since I have a cable connection (with Comcast) here at home, if and when I buy an asus, would I be able to hook it up to my comcast modem to try it out, rather than finding a WiFi place?

My e-mail is dpr8400 at yahoo dot com if you want to offer more advice without using these boards. I decided I'm not too concerned about downloading e-mail when I'm on Princess, since I have both my own minutes and also DH's minutes. However, in HAL I'd be paying for my minutres and would want to know how to download. With asus I wouldn't have Outlook for downloading. Actually, Outlook keeps telling me they don't recognize Yahoo e-mail, which is what I use. (Have a comcast e-mail address too, but don't use it much.)

When travelling, I'd use the asus for e-mail, surfing and checking out the pictures I take with the digital camera.

I'm not KenP but I think I can answer your questions.

KenP ... I'd only use the asus eee pc for travel, as I have a pretty powerful DELL here at home. One question: since I have a cable connection (with Comcast) here at home, if and when I buy an asus, would I be able to hook it up to my comcast modem to try it out, rather than finding a WiFi place?

The eee pc specs show an ethernet connection as well as wifi. Therefore you can hook it up to your comcast modem. One note here, you will have to turn the comcast modem off then back on before you connect the eee pc. Another option would be to buy a router for about $40 and use them both.

My e-mail is dpr8400 at yahoo dot com if you want to offer more advice without using these boards. I decided I'm not too concerned about downloading e-mail when I'm on Princess, since I have both my own minutes and also DH's minutes. However, in HAL I'd be paying for my minutres and would want to know how to download. With asus I wouldn't have Outlook for downloading. Actually, Outlook keeps telling me they don't recognize Yahoo e-mail, which is what I use. (Have a comcast e-mail address too, but don't use it much.)

Outlook can recognize yahoo mail if you choose the extended option for pop3 mail. It is about $20 or so (I think) a year.

When travelling, I'd use the asus for e-mail, surfing and checking out the pictures I take with the digital camera.

Enjoy your eee pc

Rich

Would OUtlook be available with LINUX? I thought it was a Microsoft thing.

Outlook would not be available with linux, at least not easily. There are several email readers available that work on both windows and linux. I only mentioned about the pop3 availability from yahoo in case you wanted to use Outlook on your other machine.

Rich

No, my comcast is always on...doesn't cost any less to turn it off. I've used Yahoo for years because I've had to use different isp's and when I travel Yahoo is simpler. The computers on Princess ships have a quick connection to Yahoo e-mail, which has made it easy. We tend to take long cruises and on sea days I like to hook up with the outside world.

• 2 weeks later...

silvercruiser,

the eee pc has the built-in "thunderbird" email reader (similar to outlook), if you want to read email offline. As someone else pointed out, the eee pc has a built in ethernet port so you could try it out before you left for the cruise.

I'd highly suggest you get everything configured and working right before you leave on your Princess cruise.

Once nice thing is that Thunderbird is preconfigured for the major email providers including google and yahoo, so it is easy to set up.

Good luck and hope you avoid Tropical Storm Fay.

Archived