Is our flight to Seattle early enough?

collector

We're booked on the Infinity out of Seattle on Aug. 22, 2008. The earliest flight we could get lands at SeaTac at 1:40 PM. The ship sails at 4. Are we going to have enough time to make it to the ship? Has anyone cut it this close? Would it be a good idea to book a shuttle with Celebrity? I'm starting to panic and hope this doesn't cause us a problem. Thanks in advance for any input.

hate to make you panic more....but we did a flight out of memphis in sept of '06. yes, it's a fairly small airport..and to make matter worse, the computer were out...all the ones for checkin. we were there over 2 hours early and didn't get checked in into flight time, flight was an hour late leaving. we had a flight change in dallas, i figured if we missed that flight there MIGHT be another for us? thank goodness, our memphis pilot made up some time in flight, we got to dallas 10 mins before our flight left...we ran!!! made our flight...got to seattle at 12:30..by the time we got our luggage and found a cab (quicker then transfers)..we got to the ship at 2pm. never again are we flying the same day as the cruise!!!

that day we had storms all across the midwest..any one of them could have cause our flight to get diverted to another airport.

remember, you are suppose to be ON the cruise ship 2 hours before sailing. (i think it's one hour is you have done all the paperwork)

Yes, book the shuttle with Celebrity and pray to God your flight is not delayed. If you land on time, you should arrive at the ship by 2:45-3pm. By booking the shuttle with Celebrity, they will know you are arriving...that should help if any problems arise. Good luck!

I received this from my TA that you need to be on board at least 90 minutes prior (and I'm sailing on the Infinity in July). So I would think you are really cutting it very close.....

Recent changes made by U.S. Customs and Border Protection require all cruise ships departing from U.S. Ports to provide a complete passenger manifest prior to sailing. To meet this requirement cruise lines are now requiring all guests to be on board the cruise ship at least 90 minutes before the ship's scheduled departure. Please review your travel plans to ensure you have enough time to board your cruise in time.

I agree that to get there the day before would be best. With the airlines today, you just never know what's going to happen. I would certainly get the quickest transfer to the ship. Cab would probably be the best. Good luck!

I live 3 hrs south of Seattle and go there often, so I'm familiar with the location of the airport relative to the ship's port, and also the traffic at that time of day. My best guess is you'd be there (at the ship) by 2:30 at the earliest and 3:00 at the latest. That being said, I'd be scared to death of missing it and would fly the day prior. While this may mean taking an extra day off work and changing your flights (which could incur a fee) I'd think seriously about doing so. If you just can't do that, I do think you'll make it, but with only an hour and change to spare. The one to answer this question would be "Seattle Cruise Lover", aka Karen. She hangs out at the West Coast Departures section of the United States Ports of Call thread. Good luck!

I live 3 hrs south of Seattle and go there often, so I'm familiar with the location of the airport relative to the ship's port, and also the traffic at that time of day. My best guess is you'd be there (at the ship) by 2:30 at the earliest and 3:00 at the latest. That being said, I'd be scared to death of missing it and would fly the day prior. While this may mean taking an extra day off work and changing your flights (which could incur a fee) I'd think seriously about doing so. If you just can't do that, I do think you'll make it, but with only an hour and change to spare. The one to answer this question would be "Seattle Cruise Lover", aka Karen. She hangs out at the West Coast Departures section of the United States Ports of Call thread. Good luck!

I hang out here, too.....:D

You could be in trouble. There are lots of departure and arrival delays here because of flight volumes (and, recently, weather issues in the rest of the country and here, occasionally, too). You need to be checked in at Pier 66 no later than 2 pm if you have not done online registration within four days prior to sailing. It usually takes up to 45-60 minutes to collect luggage and get out of the airport....baggage claim is a nightmare, and traffic is no picnic either.

It used to be that the ships would wait for their own transfer buses if they were late.....not doing this anymore. If they are not there by the checkin deadline, they are not waiting for them.

If you can get in the day before, you won't have to worry, even if your flight is delayed or you can't get out of the airport timely. If not, I hope that you have good travel insurance that will cover your meeting the ship in its first port of call and/or cancel for any reason coverage.

Sorry for the bummer type news....:(

Ships are now requiring earlier check in. I think this is a poor choice for timing and you have an equal chance of not making your ship. You need to allow time to collect bags, get a cab, cab ride- 30 minutes. IF you plane is held up gating, baggage etc etc. So much can happen.

IF you have insurance, I would definately verify you are within their guidelines for flight arrivals. One thing with insurance, their main goal is finding ways for denial.

IMHO, not only is there the significant chance for a delayed flight even if it is direct from your home airport (Philadelphia?), but your cruise departs on a Friday and Seattle area traffic will be building sooner than a typical weekday as folks often leave work early to get a head start on the weekend.

So you will have two major stresses to contend with on departure day- the worry if your flight is delayed and, even if all goes well, and you arrive on time, the worry about getting from Seatac to the port without traffic delays.

Take the advice of so many other posters and fly in a day sooner. Why start a vacation with anxiety?

We're booked on the Infinity out of Seattle on Aug. 22, 2008. The earliest flight we could get lands at SeaTac at 1:40 PM. The ship sails at 4. Are we going to have enough time to make it to the ship? Has anyone cut it this close? Would it be a good idea to book a shuttle with Celebrity? I'm starting to panic and hope this doesn't cause us a problem. Thanks in advance for any input.

Hi:) I agree with everyone else. If you can't arrive a day

early, I would suggest changing your flight to arrive

in the morning....oh...re-reading your post...1:40 is the earliest?

Hmmm......definitely see if you can arrive the day before.

Good luck and enjoy Infinity!:)

I'm trying to figure out what flight you are even taking.

There is a nonstop on US Air that arrives 12:32

There is a one stopper on Frontier (through Denver) that arrives at 1:44

There are two sold out flights with stops-one on US/United codeshare-arrives 10:32AM and one on Continental that arrives 11:35AM.

IF you are on the Frontier flight, there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY you will make the ship in the required time. You will be lucky to have your luggage by 2:10.

IF you are on the nonstop US Air flight, the flight time has changed. Better check it out.

Thanks everyone for your responses. We are trying to see if we can change our flight to the day before, but it doesn't look good. We're flying in on AirTran on comp tickets. We're limited to the flights we can take. Hopefully, they'll free up more space closer to the flight. We always try to go out the day before, but this time it didn't work out. I also just started a new job which made things even crazier. If we can't make the changes, we'll just pray that everything goes perfectly. So far, we've never had a problem with delays on AirTran, but you never know what can happen. I also tried to get a shuttle from Celebrity, but the last one leaves at 12:30. Thanks goodness, we took out the insurance and it looks like we're covered. Hope we don't have to use it!!! Thanks again

Thanks everyone for your responses. We are trying to see if we can change our flight to the day before, but it doesn't look good. We're flying in on AirTran on comp tickets. We're limited to the flights we can take. Hopefully, they'll free up more space closer to the flight. We always try to go out the day before, but this time it didn't work out. I also just started a new job which made things even crazier. If we can't make the changes, we'll just pray that everything goes perfectly. So far, we've never had a problem with delays on AirTran, but you never know what can happen. I also tried to get a shuttle from Celebrity, but the last one leaves at 12:30. Thanks goodness, we took out the insurance and it looks like we're covered. Hope we don't have to use it!!! Thanks again

Are you on flight 11 out of Atlanta???? If so, see if you can connect with flight 15. Leaves ATL at 9:45AM, arrives SEA at 12:06PM. Same connecting flight from PHL to ATL-supposed to arrive at 8:40AM. You should have plenty of time to get onto the earlier flight IF there is space available. Ask at check in and again at the gate. Get to the gate for flight 15 ASAP when your plane lands.

Flight 11 is now showing an arrival time of 1:50PM, so you lost another 10 minutes.

IF you can't get on the earlier flight, PLEASE make arrangements for a private car service to MEET you and get you to the port. EVERY minute will be valuable-waiting for a taxi, trying to find a taxi, trying to get a luggage cart all take time. With a driver arranged in advance, you will have help with the luggage and a direct line to the ship. Good luck!!!!!

Everyone else has given you good advice, but let me just say that at this point the money you've said by using a comp flight on AirTran will all go down the drain if you miss your sailing (which is likely with that late of an arrival). For a 4pm sailing you have to be checked in and onboard the ship no later than 2:30. If you land at 1:40 that is 50 minutes to get off the plane, collect your bags, and take the drive to the pier which is NOT a short distance away.

If you can't change your flight, be aware that even with insurance you will have to pay for hotels, new flights etc up front and then file for reimbursement so have a high limit credit card available.

I don't know if it will affect traffic that afternoon or not but the Mariners have a home game that evening as well.

I hate to stress you out even further; but go ahead and spend the extra money and change your flight now. You have probably paid so much already; don't take a huge chance on missing your cruise. Last summer, my husband and I missed our Alaskan 25th wedding anniversary cruise because of airline delays. We booked an 8:00 a.m. flight out of Burbank, California and that was still not early enough; the airplane broke as we going down the runway and we were told all other flights were overbooked. We rescheduled our cruise and we are set to leave next week. We learned our lesson; this time, we are leaving the day before. Here's hoping that we both make our cruises. Good Luck:)

We were fortunate that because AirTran changed the flight, we were able to change to the earlier flight. We now arrive at 12:06, which hopefully will give us enough time to get to the ship. I feel better now and thanks for all your suggestions.

We were fortunate that because AirTran changed the flight, we were able to change to the earlier flight. We now arrive at 12:06, which hopefully will give us enough time to get to the ship. I feel better now and thanks for all your suggestions.

Still the same day you sail?

Unfortunately, we can't leave the day before. I just started a new job and I'm pushing it already. If we hadn't booked this before I started, I don't think I could have gotten the time off. Hope this works out. I don't like flying in the same day (we ordinarily don't do it), but this time it was unavoidable. We might have postponed it, but there are other people going too.

you odds are much better now...you have some breathing room!

understand about not being able to fly in the day before, sometimes it just can't be done.

have a great trip...hope you get to relax soon.

I wish you good flying weather and planes that are functioning properly!

It's one thing if you can't get a flight the day before. As far as the "I can't take the time off work" excuse - no one is indispensable. If you died, they'd have to do without you!

Sorry - my last comment wasn't helpful. Assuming you are on the 6:30 a.m. flight to Atlanta, I would be monitoring it daily for several weeks to see how often it departs from Philadelphia on time, and to check its arrival time in Atlanta. You have only 1 hour and 5 minutes between flights. You could still make the flight, even if there's a delay, but your luggage might not. Be sure to pack a carry-on with toiletries and a day's worth of necessary clothing...just in case.

Archived