The Oasis..A Bridge Too Far or Not?

Now that the new updates are out about the Oasis of the Seas, I'm just wondering about initial feelings..As a longtime RCCL cruiser, looking at the Carousel and carnival games, the parks, the AquaTheater, the two Rock Climbing walls and the Zipline over the Boardwalk...has Royal Caribbean just decided to put Las Vegas or DisneyWorld in the ocean? I'm just trying to figure out what happened to the actual idea of cruising..I know they are trying to lay claim to those dollars being spend in those other resorts..but it just seems so overthetop, for me at least. Unless they add a HUGE extension to the beach area at Labadee, imagine 1500 to 2000 more people there on a day there...5,000 to 6,000 descending upon St. Thomas or San Juan...will there be other ships in port as well...

Just my opinion, of course...for families it might be fun galore, and I know that, if just cruising is to your like,there are other ships...but with this behemoth in port, shore excursion and port days might make one stay on the ship.

Please share opinions, either way.

wow! what's the point? overkill....

that many passengers in port at once, plus those from other ships seems

like a nightmare to me. and just why ....one rock climbing wall is plenty, why two? wow! its overwhelming and not necessary not to mention

fuel costs...what about that issue? and fuel squandering....that too.....

overkill....i guess i'm rambling. sorry.

marcia

crown princess 2007

crown princess 2008

celebrity solstice 2009

Some people here say they will never sail Carnival because of the Vegas style atmosphere, which if false.

But now RCI is building a circus/carnival/theme park atmosphere on their new ship. How ironic.

Now now. Before you go off on me I am seriously looking into Oasis. Once I get past the amount of passengers on the ship. It won't be right away as I want the kinks worked out first.

I agree. Not my thing, however many others have been quite enthusiastic about the Oasis. I will try to avoid being on cruises in which the Oasis is scheduled to be at port the same time as a cruise that I will be on due to the large numbers.

I wish the best for those that enjoy this sort of thing. For me, I prefer something a bit smaller with more of a feeling of the sea around me.

My opinion is this: there is something for everyone. The reason there are so many different types of ships out there is because not everyone wants the same experience. I, personally, am intrigued by the new design, and I think I will love it. However, I know that not everyone out there will have the same opinion. So, that's why RCI has other classes of ships - they know it may not be something for everyone. I do think, though, that there will be enough demand to keep the Oasis and Allure full.

Wow! Imagine this! Another beaten to death thread of "will you or won't you?". This thread has been done a million times since last wed. announcement. You could have just added to one of those.

But since you asked. Do I think it is over the top? Yes. Will I cruise on her anyway? Hell yes! There are still many classes of ships for those who just want to cruise, and nothing else. This just adds to the choices we have these days in cruising. A lot of people who would have never cruised before will probably be dying to try this ship. Now there is truely something for everyone, and this will just attract a new audience. But don't worry. RCCL, Carnival, Etc. They will not forget that there are still those who just want to cruise and relax.

With a ship like the Oasis, many people will probably opt to stay onboard while in port. Looking at the inineraries, I would probably be one of those staying on to explore and enjoy the ship. I do that now, if I have been to the port often. This will work in the favor of RCI, since people staying onboard are more apt to spend a bit of money with the cruise line, instead of most going to land based tour operators. Of course RCI gets a cut of the excursions and some kick back from shopping recommendations too. That balance will be a win-win for RCI. Operating one larger ship, in lieu of two smaller ones also makes sense from a cost savings point.

I like the variety that RCI is offering. There is something for everyone. I'll probably sail on the Oasis after a year or two, just to check it out. I prefer not to make myself miss out on unique experiences without having enough information to make an informed decision. There has not been enough shown yet that would make me say yes or no at this point.

I have a hunch that there will be some very upscale and formal venues on the Oasis, in addition to the neighborhoods already revealed. RCI will not abandon its faithful customer base. I think there will be something for the cruisers that don't want the party or amusement scene too. It will balance out the crowds and keep people from feeling too crowded. Time will tell. That's just my $.02. :)

Eric

On all the things I have seen so far on Oasis the boardwalk did not send me, but then again neither has the rock wall or the flowrider but thats fine with me I enjoy Royal for the ship, everything else I have seen looks great and there is always enough things to do so am looking forward to the further reveals and openings for bookings.

wow! what's the point? overkill....

that many passengers in port at once, plus those from other ships seems

like a nightmare to me. and just why ....one rock climbing wall is plenty, why two? wow! its overwhelming and not necessary not to mention

fuel costs...what about that issue? and fuel squandering....that too.....

overkill....i guess i'm rambling. sorry.

marcia

crown princess 2007

crown princess 2008

celebrity solstice 2009

Apparently one rock wall isn't plenty for those who enjoy this activity which may be why they added rock walls to the other ships in their fleet and NCL is featuring a rockwall on its new builds. On a ship the size of Oasis,with its passenger contingent, they apparently have concluded that two walls will be needed. Not sure how the second wall will interfere with anyone's enjoyment of the ship.

As far as fuel costs, RCI claims that Oasis will be 25% more fuel efficient than its other ships, so being able to carry more passengers on one ship and using less fuel makes very good economic sense, especially since the price of fuel continues its upward trend. And as far as there being too many passengers being discharged into the ports of call, they have chosen ports which seem to have the necessary infrastructure to handle those numbers. We have been to Grand Cayman when there were several large ships in port and the crowds have been so bad that we quickly reboarded the tender and went back to the ship, so we are sensitive to the problem of crowding, but the ports that they are using seem better suited to absorb large crowds and with proper scheduling they may be able to dock when there are fewer other ships with them in port. Besides, a large number of passengers may well stay onboard to explore and experience what the ship has to offer, so in-port crowding may not be as serious an issue as thought.

Before concluding that this is all overkill, perhaps you should give them some credit for considering many of the issues that you have raised and have come up with what they think will be viable solutions. Other than that, I recommend waiting and seeing what will happen. Many of the objections being raised were raised when Sovereign was announced and have been repeated with each new generation of larger and larger cruise ships. Only time will tell if the ultimate limit has been reached.:)

Not over the top IMHO. They are giving something for everyone. For the ones that prefer the smaller ships then stick to the Vision and Radiance class but don't expect RCI to build anymore smaller ships. Those days are gone. As a matter of fact, I don't know of any of the mainstream or premium lines that are building smaller. Celebrity, HAL, Princess, NCL and Carnival continue to make their newbuilds larger.

One thing about RCI against some of the other lines. Their ships are still built with a very nice style and not a in your face decor. They're not afraid to step out of the box and try new things and thank goodness that someone is doing this. I also give NCL credit for trying something new even if I don't care for what I have seen thus far on the new F3. Looking at the Royal Promenade on the Oasis, she still has that RCI style. After stepping away from RCI on two of my last three cruises (HAL and NCL), RCI still builds the best looking ships of the lines that I have cruised.:)

On the Grandeur a couple weeks ago, Captain Rob said that after building the Genesis Class ships that RCL will go back and build some smaller ships. This is because after about 20 years, the ship are removed from the line. They still need some smaller ships for a lot of ports. I am assuming he knows what he is talking about!:D

What specifically do you mean by "the idea of cruising".

Do you seriously think they are going to force people to ride the carousel if they don't want to?

If you see something that you don't feel like doing, then just keep walking.

On the Grandeur a couple weeks ago, Captain Rob said that after building the Genesis Class ships that RCL will go back and build some smaller ships. This is because after about 20 years, the ship are removed from the line. They still need some smaller ships for a lot of ports. I am assuming he knows what he is talking about!:D

Hate to dash your illusions, but Captain Rob may be a fine Ship's Master, but the executives who make the business decisions about what kind of ships to build have publicly stated, time and time again, that RCI does not contemplate building any more smaller ships. The economies of scale and the operating costs just do not justify that type of investment. Not the kind of thing most of us want to hear but sometimes reality bites. When Captain Rob replaces Richard Fain, Adam Goldstein et al, maybe I'll give his pronouncements on the future for smaller ships more weight but until then, I hope he sticks to what he does best, sailing cruise ships. If, by smaller ships, he means the Freedom class ship that is scheduled to be built after Oasis and Allure are completed, he is technically correct but I don't think that is what he meant or what you took him to mean. With proper maintenance ships can remain in service for far longer than twenty years. You can see that by checking out how many ships built in the 70s and even earlier are still sailing even if not for their original builders.

That is great news.

Smaller ships are needed to enjoy Bermuda.

I had asked the captain on the Empress a few years ago and he had said it wasnt planed.

Glad things might be changing.

I have no intention of being on oasis

I was one of those who derisively called Genisis 'Hummer of the Seas', bloated, too many people, etc. I swore up and down that the Freedom Class would be the biggest I would want to cruise.

However, after viewing their promotional video, I think I would actually like to try it once, just for the novelty. I think it would be like our recent Mariner cruise... it was more for the ship than the ports

Say one thing about RCCL - they do know how to sell their product. Notice how many of the Cruising shows on Travel Channel feature Royal Caribbean?. Best selling tool you can possibly have

Hate to dash your illusions, but Captain Rob may be a fine Ship's Master, but the executives who make the business decisions about what kind of ships to build have publicly stated, time and time again, that RCI does not contemplate building any more smaller ships. The economies of scale and the operating costs just do not justify that type of investment. Not the kind of thing most of us want to hear but sometimes reality bites. When Captain Rob replaces Richard Fain, Adam Goldstein et al, maybe I'll give his pronouncements on the future for smaller ships more weight but until then, I hope he sticks to what he does best, sailing cruise ships. If, by smaller ships, he means the Freedom class ship that is scheduled to be built after Oasis and Allure are completed, he is technically correct but I don't think that is what he meant or what you took him to mean. With proper maintenance ships can remain in service for far longer than twenty years. You can see that by checking out how many ships built in the 70s and even earlier are still sailing even if not for their original builders.

While i do agree with your thinking, i do have to disagree to an extent. I do firmly believe they will build smaller ships once Oasis and Allure come out. How much smaller, dunno, we could be talking about something Freedom class sized. I am no expert, but i do believe it will be far cheaper for them in the long run to do this. The posts in the Caribbean that can handle Oasis, can pretty much be counted on 1 hand. The cost of dredging, building of terminals etc....in some of the smaller ports while be astronomical if RCI cannot get any help with funding.

Just my guess, but, i don't think certain ports want something the size of Oasis at this point in time. They will, and have to, come to there sense eventually, but i really think that is a long way off yet.

please share opinions...my opinion is that if you dont like the idea than by all means cruise on another ship...nobody is forcing anyone onto this ship...I am excited about the new product and will do what I can to get on the Maiden Voyage...but I certainly can see how some may not be all for the new ideas...but there are plenty of other options in the fleet

This ship is visiting ports that can take a quite a number of ships. Considering that the ship has the pax of two regular large ships, it's not exqctly as overwhelming as some are making it out to be. Would you not book a cruise because 6,000 passengers in St. Thomas? If so, you should never go there because it's quite common. There are days on very busy times when they have easily twice or eeven three times that.

This ship is visiting ports that can take a quite a number of ships. Considering that the ship has the pax of two regular large ships, it's not exqctly as overwhelming as some are making it out to be. Would you not book a cruise because 6,000 passengers in St. Thomas? If so, you should never go there because it's quite common. There are days on very busy times when they have easily twice or eeven three times that.

It's not as much the amount of people in port as it is the amount trying to get off the boat once it docks.

I haven't sailed RCI yet (have one booked :D )

Unless they are 100x better at getting people off the ship than Celebrity, NCL and CCL, I just don't want to have to deal with that many people getting off at each port and at debark.

The largest ship I've sailed has been in the 90,000 ton range...with half the amount of passengers that the Oasis will hold and debarking at ports has always been less than pretty.

Will a ship this size have more gangways???

Apparently, the only way to make money in mass-market cruising is to pack more and more people onto ships. Hence, the ships get bigger and bigger and more and more crowded. I've simply lost patience with things like the huge lines on Voyager-class for everything -- getting off the ship, getting a place in the Windjammer, getting a lounger at the pool, making my way down the promenade, getting through the customs check before debarking in St. Thomas.

I can't imagine doing any of this with 2,000 more passengers. Our days of cruising with RCCL are over and we are Diamond cruisers with RCCL. We're looking only at smaller ships these days. The small ship cruises are much pricier than RCCL and Carnival, but that's okay with us. Our vacation time is too valuable to spend it crowded on a floating resort with 5,000 others.

Archived