What Do You Want to Know About Eurodam -- Cruise Critic Onboard June 27th

LauraS

Hi, Ross. I don't know that about formal nights, will check.

I had a heck of a time booking Pinnacle Grill and I'm onboard! I tried to use the "reservations" button on the phone and made my request and was told the maitre 'd would confirm. He did not. I stopped by yesterday during a quiet time before lunch and asked again, and again was told they'd call me. They didn't. Finally I called today and said "I would at least appreciate the courtesy of a response" and got a yes. Still that's ridiculous. I hope they're better organized starting today and I also hope they're more courteous and responsive.

For those of us just on the Rotterdam to Copenhagen cruise, I'd suggest booking any reservations immediately if not sooner cause the trip is so short. On longer cruises there's more room for everyone….

Carolyn

LauraS,

Can you find out when the formal nights are for the July 5th cruise?

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to book Pinnacle online for four of us - two different parties. Can we do that online, or do we have to make that reservation by phone?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

Ross the Dwarven1

Carolyn- interest in knowing once cruise is in full swing if there are enough lounge chairs around pool area- or if one needs to get up the crack of dawn to "reserve" seats!! Always seemed to be enough room around the pools on the european cruises- but afternoon time is different than full days at sea on a Carribean cruise.. Thanks for all of your honest comments...

Well, they both float.

That's about it. There's no reason to compare the two ships. They're designed and built for totally different markets and cruising styles and the nice thing about cruise travel is that there's something for everyone. This ship is definitely more sedate, passengers tend to be older, and the emphasis is more on service and dining than on activities and recreation. I have no preference -- sometimes in the mood for a cruise on RCI, other times appreciate HAL. Just different strokes for different folks (and different cruise styles).

Carolyn

How will the Eurodam compair against RCL [OASIS of the SEA]>

One area where Eurodam is already excellent (and HAL in general does a superb job) is in in-cabin dining. You can order from menus at lunch and dinner, you can order a hot breakfast whatever the cabin, and there's a small but well-selected 24 hour menu.

I don't know if this is new -- but each arrival (including a plate of chocolate chip cookies) comes on a heated silver plate warmer -- keeps everything nice and toasty. Made the chips in the cookie melt a little, delish.

Carolyn

One thing, fyi, if you book a balcony cabin on deck four (both forward and aft) know that your balcony will be partially covered and partially exposed (more covered than exposed); they remind me a little bit of Princess' Dolphin Deck cabins but again, there's a blend.

Carolyn

Hi, Carolyn:)

Are these balconies on deck four (VDs) larger (like Noordam)?

Also, are those two "special" balconies on the port side aft (4166 & 4168) longer because of the crew staircase between them? (fingers crossed ;) ).

Right after the lifeboat drill (fairly painless) and just before we departed Rotterdam, I checked out the Greenhouse Spa. Seemed like a lot of others had the same idea! It was fairly chaotic.

It's basically the others. Treatment rooms are lined along hallways that basically wrap around the fitness facility, at the very front. There's a relaxation room that's pleasant -- water and juice and fruit, the usual Steiner forms. There's a tiled room with loungers and steam and sauna and also a thallassotherapy pool; those two are fee-extra spaces.

I tried a marine facial and it was very, very relaxing and nice (very nice therapist and I said, pleasantly and up front, that "I know my face needs lots of help -- don't need to hear about it. I just want to relax"). And it was quite lovely. Cost was $145 for 50 minutes (on the high side but worth it after rushing around so much lately); with tip it was $175.

I've also booked a standard 50 minute massage. It's $119 and that seems the going rate, cruise industry wise, in terms of cost.

You can't book online -- at least yet, apparently there are plans to attempt to offer that service.

If you don't want the Steiner post-treatment product pitch, just say no up front -- I always make a point to do so. That way there's no weirdness at the end when they launch into it.

Carolyn

Checked out one and was pleasantly surprised at how roomy and cheerful it was. Has all the same major features as other standards (from outsides to balcony); there's the DVD player and flat screen, bed that can convert from queen to twins, loveseat, desk. One difference is that its bathroom is shower only. The info provided says these are 170 - 200 square ft. -- #6069, which is what I checked out, definitely seems to be on the latter end of that scale. Nice.

Euroinsideboards.jpg

Carolyn

Okay, to me this is the most fabulous choice for splurging if you're gonna spend. It's frankly cozier than the Penthouse suites (don't care for the rather outrageous décor but will save commentary for another posting). These remind me of Crystal's penthouse suites -- again one of the nicest at sea. The cabin's basically an L-shaped room. As you enter, there's the bathroom (you go through a vanity area with mirror-covered closets). The bathroom's got separate shower and whirlpool tub and two sinks and of course a toilet.

First thing you see after the bathroom is the living area -- it's not cordoned off from the bedroom but there's plenty of room. It's got a sofa and table. The desk (with flat screen television) runs along the outside wall and has a window that gives the bedroom lots of light. #6085's highlight is the extended balcony that's long and wide; there's a dining table for two and then two comfy arm chairs. The couch converts to a sofa bed and the space, including the verandah, runs to about 398 square ft.

Carolyn

Eurosuperiorboards.jpg

that balconies in cabins like mine (deluxe verandah outside staterooms) are outfitted with one armchair, one generously-sized footrest (great for room service trays), one straight back chair and a small table to hold drinks. The front is glass panels and the height is above waist level (for me, since I'm short, it's almost chest level). Trust me when I say you can't "accidentally" fall over it!!!

The balcony's surprisingly private -- the dividers (which can be unlocked if you have pals next door) actually are designed to reach out over the rail so you have to make an effort to spy on your neighbors.

But let me just say: If your neighbor chats loudly, eats noisily or, er, smokes CIGARS you will know about it. Last two days in Rotterdam I could, alas, enjoy my neighbor's stogies right along with him. I fairly hope he got off today.

Please do try to be considerate :)

Carolyn

Okay, finally! There are two types. First are the cabanas in the pool area on deck nine; these are outfitted with a sort of an oval bed and curtains are draped on the sides and can be pulled across the front for privacy. I don't really think there's much air that gets through as these back up to glass panels. Cost on sea days is $50 for the day, somewhat less on port days.

More intriguing are the cabanas that line the railings of "The Retreat". This is an entirely new concept for Holland America (sort of comparable to Princess' Sanctuary…but not really as lush). On deck 10, this is a cordoned off area that includes both cabanas and outdoor seating in wicker couches and chairs. It's more private and more of a getaway than the deck 9 cabanas.

At "The Retreat," cabanas line the railing overlooking the main poll (the only caveat is that there's that retractable roof and so there's not much of a view). It's an open air space and the walls between cabanas are hard plastic; a drapery can be pulled across the front. These are furnished with lounges. Another series of cabanas runs along the side -- these look out to the sea -- so have better views -- but don't get the air as well as they are placed up against glass panels.

Some of the extra features you get -- whichever cabana deck you're on -- include Evian water misters, fruits, bathrobes, iPods and Champagne at tea time….

I'll keep an eye out on our sea day Friday to see who's using them….

Carolyn

eurocabansboards.jpg

First impressions: This Italian concept, new to Holland America's dining scenario, is tucked away in a corner of the lido. Waiters wear striped black and white t-shirts that remind of gondolier's costumes and the menu looks more Northern Italian than Southern. In a move that contradicts HAL's original announcements, reservations are NOW required. But there is no fee to dine there. It looks like a nice option -- I'll check it out and let you know.

Carolyn

The company's first co-effort with Microsoft Windows is a Digital Workshop series of classes held in a room of its own. The five different classes (several of which are aimed at helping passengers create scrapbooks and trip mementoes) are complimentary.

Carolyn

These are like the superior verandah suites -- but just that much more.

#7037 had the same basic L-shaped layout as the less expensive superiors -- it's just larger. Square footage ranges from 510 - 700 and that includes the verandah.

If you book this category you get entry into the Neptune Lounge (it's only open to this category and penthouse suites). It's a pleasant room, no windows, and the concierge books all on-ship stuff, like shore tours, spa treatments and restaurant reservations. There's continental breakfast, all day snacks and an evening cocktail hour. And plenty of places to sit and read the paper or watch the television.

Carolyn

Did check out #7057, a deluxe verandah suite that's been reconfigured for people with disabilities. There are no jarring door edges anywhere, including a platform built underneath the carpet that helps travelers in wheelchairs use the balcony. This particularly cabin is roomy in the first place so doesn't otherwise differ significantly from standards in this category.

What's significantly different is the bathroom. It's got a roll-in shower, just one sink and a tub.

Carolyn

Hello Carolyn,

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to give all those great impressions on the new Eurodam!

I had a question concerning the thalassotherapy pool and thermal suite. On the vista class ships, it is possible to buy a pass that gives access to that area for the entire cruise. Is the same possible on the Eurodam or is that area now only reserved for the Spa Cabins or day passes?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Louis-Martin (alias Gaudi)

". This is an entirely new concept for Holland America (sort of comparable to Princess' Sanctuary…but not really as lush). On deck 10, this is a cordoned off area that includes both cabanas and outdoor seating in wicker couches and chairs. It's more private and more of a getaway than the deck 9 cabanas.

Does everyone have access to the deck above the Crow's Nest from this Retreat area?

Thank you for all the great reports!

Hi Carolyn,

I will be traveling with my sons, ages 3 - 7. I am wondering what the Club HAL looks like, other than video games. My kids are used to Camp Carnival and Adventure Ocean activities.

I am also wondering if they have sports activities outside of camp for the whole family, such as mini golf and shuffleboard.

Thanks!

Hi, Barbara and Rita. Thanks for these great questions. What other features are really important to your mom that I can look out for? [snip] So if there's anything else I should check out, please let me know (my mom's too feeble to cruise now). Thanks.

CSB

Carolyn, thanks very much for replying.

Buffet (Lido) restaurant

We are also wondering about assistance at the buffet restaurant. Will there be people there who help Mom by carrying her tray (as they do on Celebrity ships but never on RCI)? Also, since she is using a walker, how tightly packed are the tables in the buffet restaurant. Maneuvering with a walker on some ships in the buffet area is almost impossible. Lastly, regarding the buffet, is it laid out well or is there the likelihood of huge crushes of people (e.g., Mariner of the Seas Windjammer has an awful layout at the rear) that someone with a walker simply cannot get through?

Entertainment venues

Are there adequate numbers of good seats that one can reach without using any stairs? This tends to be a problem on many ships.

Elevators

Did you happen to notice whether there are plenty of elevators especially at dinner time? We have been shocked at how many people will arrive at the elevators to wait after we're already there waiting and then cram into the elevators ahead of us when they come. We've been stuck waiting for more than 15 minutes for a chance to get onto an elevator due to the extra space needed for a walker. Granted, the rudeness of passengers is partly to blame, but inadequate numbers of elevators near the sit-down dining rooms make the problem worse.

Many, many thanks, Carolyn.

I only seem to be able to find questions from other CC members. Where might I find the replies Carolyn is to post?

Many thanks

MH

They're interspersed right here. Look for posts by editor@cruisecritic such as #142. :)

Carolyn,

You mentioned that the beds were slightly smaller than a US twin. Are you able to measure the width of two pushed together. It seems to vary widely in the U.S. - sometimes a Queen is 5ft and others bigger. Anxious to know. Hoping that they are bigger than 5ft! Otherwise I might have to trade in my husband for a smaller model. Sue

Archived