What Do You Want to Know About Eurodam -- Cruise Critic Onboard June 27th

LauraS

Peter, how did you capture those pictures? I love seeing the ship lit up, it looks so festive and inviting:D

I use Windows: click on the 'Print Screen' key to capture the page (or any screen) you are looking at. (Hitting The Alt key with the Print Screen key will capture the current window) Then and then paste it in photo editing software. In some you can just do a Paste, or Paste From Clipboard, or select New and then Image From Clipboard. I then crop and edit the picture as needed.

Hi Carolyn,

Are you in a spa location? I am interested to know if you, or you meet guests who feel a value with this. I have read a few locations that state the Greenhouse spa has packages just for these guests and that there are water features in the rooms. HAL's website does not list specials yet for the guests but I have read it elsewhere.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Yeah, I'd say more glitzy than staid. Some of the rooms are much more contemporary in tone and have a bit of a vibe but still feel elegant (like the Explorers Lounge and the Crow's Nest). Others, not so sure. I am not crazy about the Pinnacle Grill decor. The bar at the Queens Lounge has stools with very minor, tiny backs -- at our age my god, the more support the better, LOL.

The cabins are not glitzy, they're nice. The Pinnacle Wine Bar furnishings are like something out of the Jetsons. The Rembrandt Dining Room is pretty steroid-like.

At the end I'll do a hits and misses --

Carolyn

I read one of your comments about the ship being on steroids. Haven't been on the Westerdam in almost 2 years, but my first reactions of seeing pics of the public rooms are that they are a bit glitzier than the Westerdam that I remember. For some reason the Eurodam seems more like some of the "other" ships that I have been on.. I am on the Jan 3 sailing of the Eurodam. Carolyn, your gut reaction please. Thanks for all that you are doing. I await pics of the SSsuites. Hopefully, you were able to fit this task into your packed schedule!!!

Today's the day. Overheard chat last night about the ceremony. Apparently, "normal" people (er, I'm not a royalist and I'll admit it) aren't allowed to stand in Queen Beatrix' path as she wanders around. She is of course the godmother.

She'll come for the ceremony and then do a ship's tour. The audience will be kept outside while she does her walkabout.

Beautiful day in Rotterdam so far. You know what's really sweet? This is a city that despite being the number one cargo port in the world doesn't get a whole lot of cruise traffic. And people are really fascinated, they're lining up on bridges and walkways, have greeted the ship (as we go in and out), etc. I think it's more than the ship -- it's the fact that the cruise line started here and so there's a real sense of pride.

Carolyn

Hi. I've taken a few photos but am having trouble sending them (and plus my team tells me I am a decent writer but, er, no Ansel Adams :) ) -- if anyone wants to donate snaps to the cause, can you send 'em on to Dan Askin? Interiors, exteriors, all welcome (I'd tried to send one of the Tamarind menu so you could see it but it was too small).

I am keeping copies of things and get off the ship Saturday so by Monday can supply you with photos of cruise stuff, like daily programs and menus and the like.

Floris deKort's given us a terrific shot of the ship's exterior but alas on a cloudy day so any other submissions are most welcome. We give full credit.

Dan's at dan@cruisecritic.com.

Thanks!

Very sweet the local population in Rotterdam is fascinated with the Eurodam. Glad to read it is a beautiful day for you folks.

Maybe it is a port worth looking over, originally I thought to leave the city when we arrive next May.

While I understand that this is a new ship, I've consistently found -- so far, that's since Saturday -- the people at the front office to be the antithesis of helpful and accurate. Seriously, it's getting ridiculous. You wait to be acknowledged while five, count 'em five, purser's-people stand around one computer terminal as if they were solving some sort of universal problem (I was one of two people waiting; neither of us were even acknowledged). You ask: how to I access my voice mail and are told it's not possible (that's the first time) that it's it not yet working (that's the second time) and, finally, that you use your room number as your password (third time, found the message that had been left for me Saturday and it turns out I missed an event).

You just can't get a straight answer. Case in point: cabins in most categories are available to view (they're called "show cabins"). Well, sometimes. Sometimes they're not. Sometimes the show cabins are closed when they should be open. Sometimes, the people at the pursers desk tell you "it opens at 9 a.m." when you find out at 9:30 a.m. that they really open at 11 a.m. Today I asked: How long will they be open. "All day" was the answer. Nope, when I tried to see some spa cabins at about noon they were shut up tight. Sometimes they never were opened and one useless purser told me "to try to track down a steward to see if he can open up a cabin". OY.

So I hope I can answer your questions properly on cabins, I will try and stay tuned.

Really there's no excuse for this kind of service and I have to say it's something I associate with, far more consistently than is acceptable, with Holland America. So-called passenger services is really not terribly concerned about providing passenger assistance.

On the other hand it must be said that the staff -- cabin stewards, waiters I've come across, bartenders -- are really what you expect from HAL and that's top notch. I can't tell you how many of them I've met who have come off of other ships -- and a nice handful who remembered my face from other cruises.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn.

Have you had a chance to check out the Queen's Lounge? I understand it doubles as the Culinary Arts theater. Some HAL ships have "desks" in their culinary arts theaters - or is it set up like other Queen's Lounges?

Thanks! Sorry tp hear about the service.

Sheila

First, everyone, thanks for your patience. Poked around today a lot! But don't have time to write it it all before dinner, bear with me, if it's not too late a night I'll, to quote Carnival's John Heald, "slap" some blog posts up. If it is too late, the good news about a 6 hour time difference for most of you is that there'll be lots to read when you get up (or get to work) tomorrow, LOL.

I did check out the lounge. Frankly I think it's particularly unnattractive with chairs either like lucite tea cups (when was the last time you said youself "I just love sitting in teacups?") or on a couch with a jarring reptilian cover. There are tables all throughout and the kitchen set-up is fantastic, as usual.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn.

Have you had a chance to check out the Queen's Lounge? I understand it doubles as the Culinary Arts theater. Some HAL ships have "desks" in their culinary arts theaters - or is it set up like other Queen's Lounges?

Thanks! Sorry tp hear about the service.

Sheila

Not sure if you saw this report from today's press conference -- it's in From the Bridge http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/features/articles.cfm?ID=704 -- but it's kind of interesting. Funny how the cruise line folks all wanted to talk about the brand spanking new Eurodam and all media wanted to know about was the economy's impact on cruise travel.

So I wrote this. I'd really l like to know what you think: there's a link to a new poll at the end. Please cast your vote.

And heard on the QT that fourth quarter is really, really soft (meaning there might be really great bargains) and that there's worry about South America because of the longer, more expensive (and possibly reduced options) as far as flights are concerned. South America is magic, if you're looking for a reason to go, consider the deep discounts that I'm hearing may occur (no promises) but do get your air lined up.

Carolyn

These reports are fantastic, I feel like I saw the Queen and once again was sitting at dinner on the Zuiderdam wondering why service problems existed when they are relatively easy to fix. At least the passengers in our group had solid plans for improvement!:)

I confess I had hoped they would put the A team on the new ship.

Hi, Sharie. I hear the maritime museum here is spectacular (it's closed on Monday so I didn't get there); also, the restaurant at the historic Hotel Nw York (walking distance) is supposed to be quite good and the settting is fabulous....

Carolyn

Very sweet the local population in Rotterdam is fascinated with the Eurodam. Glad to read it is a beautiful day for you folks.

Maybe it is a port worth looking over, originally I thought to leave the city when we arrive next May.

The naming ceremony was spectacular. Full orchestra, singers, the Queen! I hope you got to watch it on the web.

Had dinner last night at the Euromast Tower. They had seated us on the west side (full sun) even though Silverwing had requested the east side (so we could see the ship, too.) It was hot, hot, hot. Food was good, though. Enjoyed finally meeting Mary Ellen, Grumpy and Slinkie. Great folks!

We stayed up there and watched the fireworks at 11:15. Fun. Now we're getting repacked and ready to board the lovely Eurodam.

More later.

Jim is there one planned for this cruise? Please forgive, I can't remember. A couple of onboard folks from Holland America/Eurodam would like to stop by to say hello....

Jim may be en route -- so if anyone knows, please tell me! Thanks.

Carolyn

The naming ceremony was spectacular. Full orchestra, singers, the Queen! I hope you got to watch it on the web.

Had dinner last night at the Euromast Tower. They had seated us on the west side (full sun) even though Silverwing had requested the east side (so we could see the ship, too.) It was hot, hot, hot. Food was good, though. Enjoyed finally meeting Mary Ellen, Grumpy and Slinkie. Great folks!

We stayed up there and watched the fireworks at 11:15. Fun. Now we're getting repacked and ready to board the lovely Eurodam.

More later.

O2B@C -- cool moniker, didn't get it til I started typing it out, LOL -- I've done an extensive look-around of the spa cabins. They come in two main sizes: spa suites(category SZ, about 398 square ft.) and spa staterooms (VQ, VT, guessing about 215 sq. ft). All have the same color scheme -- green and taupe. They are located on decks 10 and (a handful only) on deck 11.

The benefits of decks are that those on deck 10 have full balconies (if slightly smaller than on lower decks). On deck 11, they're more like French verandahs. You step outside onto a crescent shaped platform but there's no room for a chair. Deck 10 has a corkscrew staircase that leads right into the spa. Deck 11 -- you just have to walk down the regular stairs with the rest of commoners, LOL.

Extras include a water fountain (nice), free bottles of Vitamin water, a minibar with for-charge stuff that ranges from beer to healthy drinks. There's a yoga mat, a Bose iPod, a teak bathmat, a spa concierge for booking appointments, and what I think is the best feature: the option to order a healthy breakfast for in-cabin dining. Items on what's called the Greenhouse Spa menu include turkey bacon, Kashi granola, egg white omelets and soy meatless patties.

It's said that there are special spa-cabin-only spa treatments and that's not actually true at least in one case. Anyone who wants a couples (or singles) massage in a cabana at the Retreat outdoor facility (more on that later) can book one. But if you're not in the spa cabin category you'll have to first reserve the cabana (by calling the info desk, price I don't know yet) and then book the massage. By the way, prices are the same whether you're in cabana…or in spa (at least after you've rented your cabana).

Carolyn

Eurospacabinboards.jpg

Eurospacabinboards2.jpg

A detailed description of the following would be great:

(1) Food and service in Tamarind

(2) New "spa" cabins

(3) Similarities and differences between Eurodam and the Vista ships (especially differences that aren't obvious from the deck plans etc.), like public space per passenger and passenger/crew ratio

(4) Cabanas on decks

Thanks!

Titissa, there are two pools. The center pool has a retractable roof and frankly is just the most beautiful pool (along with other HAL ships) on cruise ships today. Lovely furnishings (the brown wicker-like stuff), plenty of tables for people to sit and eat or work a crossword, pretty tiling, gorgeous sculptures. Just lovely. There are private cabanas down on this level but they are backed up against the glass walls. They're outfitted with something like a rounded bed with lots of cushions. Unless you like shade, I don't really get the appeal but they do add an arty ambience.

I also like the aft pool -- it's a good place for sunning. It's right off the Lido and here, too, are some tables for dining which is nice.

The dining options are varied; there's the flexible dining and the set seating. You can request either. You can make reservations for the flex-dining; haven't been able to try it yet cause we haven't had a "real" cruise night but will check out how it works today.

I'll get back to all kid-related questions after we sail and I can see the spaces in action. There were a couple of journalists onboard who brought their children and one with "older" (i.e. over 10 years) kids told me that according to them, it is not really a kid-oriented ship. Again, it wasn't really the time to bring kids -- a lot of business going on -- so we'll see. I'll keep an open mind ☺

Carolyn

Europoolboards.jpg

Thank you for volunteering to answer our questions.

I'm also interested in the Teens activities. Since they are the most difficult age group to please and I'm cruising the Caribbean with my 2 teenager daughters on President's Week 09. I hope they will not be as bored as they were when we did the Westerdam in Alaska 2 years ago.

My 2nd question is about the pools. How many are there? I think I saw 2 on the HAL video. Is that right?

And finally, since we are doing Open Seating dinning, what are the dinning options? Will we have to make reservations every day for dinner? How does that work?

Thank you very much for any info.

Leticia

Hi, DeeDee; yes, the aft balconies are covered and they don't look tiered, rather they're stacked so that means more privacy. I'll send along a photo later.

One thing, fyi, if you book a balcony cabin on deck four (both forward and aft) know that your balcony will be partially covered and partially exposed (more covered than exposed); they remind me a little bit of Princess' Dolphin Deck cabins but again, there's a blend.

Can't get a bead on the teen center, seems to me to be a little…eh. But we've not really kids yet so I'll check again during the "real" cruise.

Carolyn

How terrific to be there for the first voyage!! I've got two questions:

First, please describe the aft balconies; covered? private? tiered? A picture would be wonderful.

Then, what is the teen center like? Inviting or boring? Action-packed or dead?

Have a great trip - also, be sure to have some bread pudding!

Deedee

Hi, Ross. I don't know that there are any formal nights on the short sailing -- sorry just don't know and it probably doesn't matter to you now, LOL.

I had a heck of a time booking Pinnacle Grill and I'm onboard! I tried to use the "reservations" button on the phone and made my request and was told the maitre 'd would confirm. He did not. I stopped by yesterday during a quiet time before lunch and asked again, and again was told they'd call me. They didn't. Finally I called today and said "I would at least appreciate the courtesy of a response" and got a yes. Still that's ridiculous. I hope they're better organized starting today and I also hope they're more courteous and responsive.

For those of us just on the Rotterdam to Copenhagen cruise, I'd suggest booking any reservations immediately if not sooner cause the trip is so short. On longer cruises there's more room for everyone….

Carolyn

LauraS,

Can you find out when the formal nights are for the July 5th cruise?

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to book Pinnacle online for four of us - two different parties. Can we do that online, or do we have to make that reservation by phone?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

Ross the Dwarven1

Archived