What Do You Want to Know About Eurodam -- Cruise Critic Onboard June 27th

LauraS

My wife, my kid and I, reserved cruise voyage on Eurodam for a Eastern Caribbean on november 15th, from Ft. Lauderdale. Our kid have a 1 year old, and we need information about the babysitter services on board, because we enjoy cruise night lifestile.:cool:

We can order specially baby food? for example: soup whitout seasoning?

It´s permitted baby in pool?

Where we can make a reservation for a lido cabanas? whit my travel agent or on board? how much the Lido Cabanas? :cool:

We are a begiing on HAL, we have 3 other cruise voyage experience whit Royal Caribbean, on board of Adventure (Eastern Caribbean 2002), Voyager (Western Caribbean 2004) and Navigator of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean 2006), and we have a fear because this line is new and unknown for us, and the more comments are orient to "line for Older People" are these true?:(

is WI-Fi accesible in all ships? it´s Free? if no how much cost these facility?

We are very excite because this ships is all brand new, and those photos and publicity provide a lot information, we´ll waiting for a nice vacation abord EURODAM!

Babies are not allowed in the pools on any of the HAL ships. Not in diapers...not in swimmers. Some people bring along a small blow up pool for the little ones.

WiFi is not free...I believe we paid about $100 for 250 minutes. I could be way off; whatever it is, there is a charge.

With the exception of school breaks, there are a minimal number of children on HAL ships.

Carolyn, in one of your early posts you mentioned the perks for the Neptune. You mentioned an evening cocktail hour. Is this something new or maybe for this cruise only? We always book an SA and never have seen an evening cocktail hour. Would you check that out please and let us all know.

I certainly hope the mess with dining and the crowded conditions in the Lido get straightened out. Otherwise the room service folks are going to be really busy for breakfast. Makes me really nervous about getting onboard on the 15th!!!!!!!!!!!:o

Hi Carolyn.

I ask a favor for me, i reserved Cabin VF 5138 for voyage on EURODAM on november 15th. can you watch those cabin for me?

And please confirm whit ships representatives about theirs policy about kids in pool, because mi agent travel in Venezuela inform me what it´s permitted, but fellows in this blog wrote oppositive position about the kids in pool.

Thanks

Crickets and Titissia are among the posters who've asked about the quality of the teen facilities and let me put it this way: if your kids aren't relatively self-sufficient in terms of entertaining themselves, you are in big…trouble!

The teen section of Club Hal is … how do I say since I'm so far from being a teen I no longer have nightmares about the era … awful. It's just a stupid room with some strobe lights, some weird couches that don't look terribly comfortable, and a small dance floor. There's no juice bar, no nothin'. In fact, I stopped by this morning (while we were at sea) and apparently because no teens had registered among the 35 (yes, count them) kids on board, there were no activities. Mind you, I did see a handful of teens here and there this evening.

I think HAL wasted the space. The line shouldn't have bothered. It should have put Canaletto here instead. The Oasis concept, which is on some ships (and features a resort like ambience that's teens-only, including hammocks and fountains and Adirondack chairs and a terrifically exclusive outdoor deck) that's so distinctive on Ryndam and some other ships, is nowhere to be found here.

There were a couple of young kids in the "youth 3 - 12" room and activities included "freeze dance" and crafts and a movie. But I think it's more that HAL makes room for the occasional family-oriented periods more than it is inspired to become a family line. All things being equal, if I had kids I'd probably opt for Royal Caribbean, Disney, Carnival or Princess, depending on ages.

Carolyn

Okay, so today I splurged, seat of the pants, on a special offer -- $99 for 15 minutes each of three different treatments (I picked back & neck massage, hand massage and foot and ankle rubdown, see a theme here?). I'm not the biggest fan of Steiner, which runs this spa and most every spa on cruise ships today but after yesterday's lovely facial, I was hopeful.

The timing was good too...we pulled into Hamburg (after a fantastically scenic three hours up the Elbe River) at noon and my appointment was at noon so I missed all the frenzy to get off the ship...(we had a long, 12 hour call here, bliss, so there was not such a need to race around).

Aside from the spa's reception desk area -- horribly busy and congested as it's also a path between a major stairwell/elevator bank and the main pool (and I recall complaining about this when I reviewed the Vista class and so you'll see my suggestions have absolutely no sway with cruise ship designers, LOL) -- it's a very nice spa. I loved my treatment and actually forgot to forewarn the therapist about the need to omit the "product pitch". To her credit, at the end of my session she said gently "I'd like to talk to you about what you need to do for yourself" and of course my ears perked up and I shut her down (nicely) but it was much more gentle than I've otherwise experienced. She gets points for that!

You can't use the relaxation and thallasotherapy pools even if you buy a treatment; I think (but can't remember now) I wrote this already. It's an additional $20 per person per day, $150 per person for the whole cruise (well, the next one, depends on length) and couples can get a discount. I can't imagine my husband being remotely interested so the single price, I think for most of us, is probably more realistic.

I might do it tomorrow. It's our only sea day on a three day voyage so the pools are bound to be packed. I'll keep you posted….

And a very happy Independence Day to my fellow patriots.

Carolyn

Haven't seen them myself but have heard from two passengers with verandah cabins on deck 4 that the balconies are FANTASTIC. Slightly longer than those on the upper decks.

Alas, am not in a position to answer the more specific cabin questions, Rosydee.

Carolyn

Did this question ever get an answer??

Hi, GreenJade, yeah, I figured that out, LOL.

I think there's a lot of foot traffic now only because the ship's new, I've been on during "preview" time and, also, that this first three day cruise isn't really normal. I think it'll be nice and quiet after this....

I do think that HAL's sudden "discovery" that it had spa cabins was bizarre and have said so here -- and with corporate folks. Nobody really has an explanation.

You may be in more proximity of cabanas but you'll still have to pay to use them....

Carolyn

Carolyn, this is really interesting. We booked a "T" ocean view cabin the day my cruise came out and it turned into a "VT" with the juliet balcony. That is fine since we really only use the balcony to check out the view and take pictures. Now it seems our stateroom has turned into a "Spa" category. The Green and taupe decor sounds nice. Green is our favorite color, get it "Jade13"?

So, it sounds like we get a free bottle of water in this category, brown bathrobes, a yoga mat, teak bathmat (have one at home), bose ipod and special breakfast menu and a water fountain (is that on the deck on in the staterooms)? So, is this for the Suites or also those VT cabins? Also, I am unclear about the for-pay cabanas past these staterooms. I thought it would be a quiet area but it sounds like foot traffic by these staterooms to get to the cabanas. Is there any "public" space past these staterooms and outside, or will those booked into a VT not be able to use the space as the area is only for the cabana users?

Thanks you much for your reports!

I think Greg (RevNeal) is absolutely right....

If space is too much of a premium, my hunch is that HAL needs to get rid of the Deck 9 cabanas (do not get their appeal) and replace them with tables....

Carolyn

Yes, Rev. Neal's posts indicate that there is much to be worked out - especially his comments about the lack of space to eat on the Lido deck because of all the room the cabanas are taking up. What is your impression about that particular problem?

I know there are a lot of questions that I still haven't answered. No worries, I still have much info to share. I've printed out every thread and some of the questions are beyond me so I'm putting them to HAL folks. Others, like the very excellent queries about facilities for handicapped passengers, I want to know more -- so will do a tour tomorrow. Please be patient; I'll keep posting until I run out of answers (probably through mid-week next week).

And keep asking questions, especially while I'm still onboard....

Carolyn

Have you gotten any feedback or pushback from HAL given your honest and sometimes critical comments and the broad readership of Cruise Critic? Do you think they will really get rid of the cabanas? Maybe you can run a poll to suppport your observations. How long will you be on board?

Okay, so today I splurged, seat of the pants, on a special offer -- $99 for 15 minutes each of three different treatments (I picked back & neck massage, hand massage and foot and ankle rubdown, see a theme here?). I'm not the biggest fan of Steiner, which runs this spa and most every spa on cruise ships today but after yesterday's lovely facial, I was hopeful.

The timing was good too...we pulled into Hamburg (after a fantastically scenic three hours up the Elbe River) at noon and my appointment was at noon so I missed all the frenzy to get off the ship...(we had a long, 12 hour call here, bliss, so there was not such a need to race around).

Aside from the spa's reception desk area -- horribly busy and congested as it's also a path between a major stairwell/elevator bank and the main pool (and I recall complaining about this when I reviewed the Vista class and so you'll see my suggestions have absolutely no sway with cruise ship designers, LOL) -- it's a very nice spa. I loved my treatment and actually forgot to forewarn the therapist about the need to omit the "product pitch". To her credit, at the end of my session she said gently "I'd like to talk to you about what you need to do for yourself" and of course my ears perked up and I shut her down (nicely) but it was much more gentle than I've otherwise experienced. She gets points for that!

You can't use the relaxation and thallasotherapy pools even if you buy a treatment; I think (but can't remember now) I wrote this already. It's an additional $20 per person per day, $150 per person for the whole cruise (well, the next one, depends on length) and couples can get a discount. I can't imagine my husband being remotely interested so the single price, I think for most of us, is probably more realistic.

I might do it tomorrow. It's our only sea day on a three day voyage so the pools are bound to be packed. I'll keep you posted….

And a very happy Independence Day to my fellow patriots.

Carolyn

I am appalled that HAL did not learn from the spa entrances on the Vista ships. I had the most unpleasant experience of my life on the Westerdam and will never go to a spa on HAL vista ships again. I guess I will extend that to their new ships. HAL, DO YOU HEAR US? I just don't get how that design ever got off the blueprints.

I am just off the Carnival Liberty and I loved their calm, quiet entrance to get in the mood for a relaxing time.

Thanks for your thread Carolyn, I am really enjoying it!

Our kid have a 1 year old, and we need information about the babysitter services on board, because we enjoy cruise night lifestile.:cool:

We can order specially baby food? for example: soup whitout seasoning?

See http://www.hollandamerica.com/news/FactSheets.action

Babysitting

Babysitting services are available from 10 p.m. until 12 midnight during Club HAL After Hours for children three years and up. Cost is $5 per hour per child. At other times and for children under the age of three, limited babysitting is available through the Front Office on a volunteer basis. The cost is $8 per hour for the first child and $5 per hour for each other child.

Infants

Holland America Line welcomes infants older than six months. By advance request through Holland America Line's Ship Services Department, guests may arrange commercial baby food, diapers and refrigerators for a nominal fee. A limited number of high chairs, booster seat and cribs are available at no charge. In addition, the line's Club HAL children's program schedules Toddler Times for kids under the age of three to play in the children's facilities. Parents must stay with youngsters at all times.

It´s permitted baby in pool?

There are signs by the pools: no diapers.

Hi Carolyn.

I ask a favor for me, i reserved Cabin VF 5138 for voyage on EURODAM on november 15th. can you watch those cabin for me?

And please confirm whit ships representatives about theirs policy about kids in pool, because mi agent travel in Venezuela inform me what it´s permitted, but fellows in this blog wrote oppositive position about the kids in pool.

Thanks

Why don't you call HAL yourself and ask about babies in the pool?

Fitz2, there's something called Slice, which is a pizza-only counter out by the Aft pool bar and pizza's served until midnight. Frankly it doesn't look all that tasty…

By the way, haven't mentioned much about the Aft pool and just want to say -- it's gorgeous, one of my favorite places onboard. There are these fake, boldly striped fabric cabanas (decorative only!!!) that really give the space a holiday feel. Lots of room for loungers and tables for dining.

Carolyn

We've only cruised on Carnival where ther is complimentary 24 hour pizza,icecream and drinks. Do they have this on the Eurodam?

Professorhurst, I had no trouble using my laptop's wireless by the pool….

And jtl513, the wireless signal has been excellent. Sure it's still slower than at home but it's a lot faster onboard than it used to be!

Carolyn

Can you use your wireless laptop by the pool, too?

Hi, Hulamoon, you've asked lots of great questions and I hope I've gotten to most of them, know I have a few more on the list. You asked about Rotterdam -- we were there for three days, an unexpected luxury for someone who is more accustomed to the one day in port scenario. One day I took the train to Brussels (2 hours, never been and we had a long day in port). One day I just poked around Rotterdam -- there's a good maritime museum and across the river from the ship is a terrific neighborhood with parks, cafes and such. A colleague took bike rides (you can rent bicycles at the train station). It's not the most gorgeous city in Europe but it's still a nice place to visit.

We have a pretty comprehensive port profile on Rotterdam; one caveat is that museums are all closed on Monday (a European thing, actually).

One warning and I take full responsibility -- this could happen anywhere. Wanted to go visit Delfshaven, the "historic" neighborhood that survived the WW 2 bombing that otherwise decimated the place. And I get in the taxi and I notice he doesn't turn on the meter but he's so friendly and so he takes me around and talks talks talks and I decide I've seen enough and actually should try to make time to see the maritime museum clear on the other side of town so ask him to take me there. He continues to tell me fairly useless info about Rotterdam. But he's nice. Then we get to the museum -- mind you meter still not turned on -- and he demands 50 euros. For about a half hour's trip. Wasn't so nice when I tried to negotiate it down. Value for money that was a waste. I paid it and got out and hope you'll profit from my idiocy. And I know better!!!

Of course this could happen anywhere, including in my own home town :)

Carolyn

Very sweet the local population in Rotterdam is fascinated with the Eurodam. Glad to read it is a beautiful day for you folks.

Maybe it is a port worth looking over, originally I thought to leave the city when we arrive next May.

Carolyn,

Your coments have sparked my anticipation and excitement over seeing the new ship. (We sail aboard her at the holidays). It's always fun to see the ships from another's viewpoint. Thanks for the info about the wireless. Much needed since I always seem to be connected to my laptop.

Will continue to monitor your trip and enjoy it vicariously.

This is a little disturbing (don't remember ever getting this message): when I went to log on this afternoon, got this: Too many subscribers are already logged in. Please try again later."

I think the improved online systems, not only related to this ship but to any ship where people can use laptops all over the place and so the vessel doesn't control how many are on at a given time, are creating a cyber-line. Sigh.

Carolyn

In a really nice moment -- and mind you it seems like Americans make up about only half the passenger base (lots of Germans) -- the ship put on a gorgeous buffet spread today to mark Independence Day. Gorgeous murals of U.S. cities (made me homesick), festive decor -- and open wine and beer bar. Nice nice touch.

Carolyn

One other thing, Hulamoon -- and glad you're reliving Zuiderdam -- the A team's here -- just not maybe at the purser's desk. I just remember those folks being the weakest link on other cruises and have to think it's the training. Another colleague was telling last night that he'd consistently run into problems down there -- and had another issue yesterday.

Maybe I'm more aware of inefficiencies because I'm trying to do the best job I can here and they are mucking it up! But I still think improvement is necessary and I'm not alone in that. I would not let it overly worry anyone (forewarned is forearmed, LOL).

And also -- I've found the food in general to be quite good (occasional misses but who doesn't have 'em) and when I think back to Southampton and all the different events, mass sit-downs like the inaugural gala, and others, credit is due here. I especially like Tamarind, in-cabin service (as I noted a long, long time ago, LOL) is consistently superb, and even the Lido fare is better than average. Haven't tried Pinnacle yet and the dining room was good the two times I ate there (breakfast was particularly right-on).

Carolyn

These reports are fantastic, I feel like I saw the Queen and once again was sitting at dinner on the Zuiderdam wondering why service problems existed when they are relatively easy to fix. At least the passengers in our group had solid plans for improvement!:)

I confess I had hoped they would put the A team on the new ship.

Archived