Dream- toned down?

marinearchit

As you will see from below, I have sailed Carnival three times, and I have another lined up. I have not yet sailed Royal Caribbean.

IMHO Royal Caribbean ships look absolute class compared to Carnival. I have no idea why anyone would knock a ship they haven't been on. There are some really one-eyed clueless comments on here. When I can afford the Oasis I will go on it.

And I also look forward to going on the Dream's first cruise out of Rome, but to me it looks just like another Carnival boat, nothing special, but excellent value and a bit of fun.

You're saying Host Mach doesn't have the right and he's unfair and silly to express what he clearly stated were HIS opinions?!? :confused:

Of course he can state his opinions-IF HE HAS IN FACT SAILED THE VOYAGER/FREEDOM SHIPS....I would NEVER put down another Ship/hotel/resort unless I've experienced it myself..I believe the phrase is "don't knock it till you try it"...I.E....I thought I would HATE the Disney cruise because a) we have no kids, b) we're mid 50's, and c) no gambling?

NOTHING COULDN'T have been more incorrect!! We went May '06 and it was THEE best 3 days at sea we've ever done! Best food,best service and by far THEE best production shows we've ever seen at sea...how wrong I was for putting the Disney cruise idea down to my wife,who asked for years to try it.....

Big Al

Very unfair & silly statements...have you been on the Freedom Of The Seas?..It's not a mall,it's a Promenade-a place to stroll down,meet friends,have a drink-fabulous idea & place..the ice-skating show is one of THEE BEST activities on a ship I've ever seen...superlative skaters doing amazing stunts-you didn't think that was terrific? EVERYONE I've told to see it has said 100% great show (no exceptions)..I've sailed Carnival 6 times (including Pride & Triumph) and loved all,but their ships in NO WAY compare to RCI's Freedom/Voyager class.The FOS was THE best ship we ever sailed.My biggest complaint w/CCL is the ships itself-wwaaaayyy too much neon & glitter-Farcus is no doubt on LSD when designing these ships-we much prefer the soft colors,the glass & wood of RCI ships-so much easier on the eyes..a mall? Don't you think the Carnival ships look more like Circus Circus from a Vegas hotel with all the glitz?

I agree and I still don't get all these mall or theme park references.

Very unfair & silly statements...have you been on the Freedom Of The Seas?..It's not a mall,it's a Promenade-a place to stroll down,meet friends,have a drink-fabulous idea & place..the ice-skating show is one of THEE BEST activities on a ship I've ever seen...superlative skaters doing amazing stunts-you didn't think that was terrific? EVERYONE I've told to see it has said 100% great show (no exceptions)..I've sailed Carnival 6 times (including Pride & Triumph) and loved all,but their ships in NO WAY compare to RCI's Freedom/Voyager class.The FOS was THE best ship we ever sailed.My biggest complaint w/CCL is the ships itself-wwaaaayyy too much neon & glitter-Farcus is no doubt on LSD when designing these ships-we much prefer the soft colors,the glass & wood of RCI ships-so much easier on the eyes..a mall? Don't you think the Carnival ships look more like Circus Circus from a Vegas hotel with all the glitz?

Only if your totally oblivious the theme of the ship. Joe Farcus has done a masterful job of creating a central theme for each vessel and carrying that out in all the public rooms, stem to stern. I like the designs and feel that they form a wonderful backdrop for my experience.

Regarding the skating rink and all the gimmicks, as I've said time and time again, I want my cruise experience to focus on the sea. You seem to love the skating rink and I'm sure you'll love zip lining through the interior of the ship. It's not for me... not in the least.

I love the way people get bent on this subject. The Dream and the Splender are going to be your typical Carnival ships. Nothing more or nothing less. IMO thats just fine with me. When my wife and I cruise, we take our kids. I have to pay for 5 of us, and Carnival gives me the best price and I feel the best bang for the buck. I would love to see the RCL Oasis, or any of RCL mega ships. Just not right now.

Of course he can state his opinions-IF HE HAS IN FACT SAILED THE VOYAGER/FREEDOM SHIPS....I would NEVER put down another Ship/hotel/resort unless I've experienced it myself..I believe the phrase is "don't knock it till you try it"...I.E....I thought I would HATE the Disney cruise because a) we have no kids, b) we're mid 50's, and c) no gambling?

NOTHING COULDN'T have been more incorrect!! We went May '06 and it was THEE best 3 days at sea we've ever done! Best food,best service and by far THEE best production shows we've ever seen at sea...how wrong I was for putting the Disney cruise idea down to my wife,who asked for years to try it.....

Big Al

What's that famous old saying... I may not know art but I know what I like...

Same thing here. I have no use for skating rinks, rock walls, zip lines on a ship that I'm on. It's my opinion... plain and simple. You have RCL and I have Carnival and I suspect that little will change that.

No matter what cruise line you want to talk about you'll find that lines most vocal supporters on the forums here at Cruise Critic.

Please, enjoy the Oasis. I hope it's all the experience that you want it to be but at the same time please understand that it's NOT the experience that I'm interested in.

Mach

Same thing here. I have no use for skating rinks, rock walls, zip lines on a ship that I'm on. It's my opinion... plain and simple. You have RCL and I have Carnival and I suspect that little will change that.

No matter what cruise line you want to talk about you'll find that lines most vocal supporters on the forums here at Cruise Critic.

Please, enjoy the Oasis. I hope it's all the experience that you want it to be but at the same time please understand that it's NOT the experience that I'm interested in.

Mach

Ditto ! No rock climbing, ice rink, etc for us. Just dont care for it.

Now the Dream sounds awesome and it's only 45 min from home !

I wonder if the "cove" balocnies will be otally enclosed > hard to tell from the deck plans.

I see a Jan 2010 cruise in our future !

I really think that you don't know what you are talking about. Don't you think that RCI has done a research before starting the Genesis project @ over 1 billion USD per ship ?and if they are doing it, because they can fill up the Voyager and Freedom class easily and that is also the case. In one of the interviews Richard Fain said the the passengers were asking for larger and innovative ships. He also said that the demand is so high that you will have to pay premium prices to get on that ship.

Of course RCCL did research years ago. Before the decrease in the dollar and the US economy and before the increase in the price of oil. The original cost estimates have skyrocketed.

Good luck to getting people to pay premium prices beyond the first few months.

Current price:

CCL - 34.15

RCL - 23.65

The spread is growing.

After looking at the press release, I have to agree with Scott... there is not any wow or innovation on this ship. It is just bigger, with more people, while fixing some of the problems of past ships. ...

It is nice to see that they fixed the Conquest class issues with NO RESTROOMS for the Supper Club - where you had to go down to Lido deck to find one!!!

Still digesting the changes - looking forward to a Dream sailing!

Tom

Mach

I don't have to have schizophrenia to treat a patient with it either. I won't try a Disney ship because I'd have to knock Mickey Mouse overboard the 3rd time I saw him...

I wonder if the "cove" balocnies will be otally enclosed > hard to tell from the deck plans.

This is a rendering of the cove rooms from Carnival's site.

Mach on a few other threads has what is close to them on the QE2 (I think it is the QE2).

dr_cove_lg.jpg

Of course RCCL did research years ago. Before the decrease in the dollar and the US economy and before the increase in the price of oil. The original cost estimates have skyrocketed.

Good luck to getting people to pay premium prices beyond the first few months.

Current price:

CCL - 34.15

RCL - 23.65

The spread is growing.

But they still charge premium prices for their Voyager & Freedom Class ships, so they must get them filled with those prices I guess.

This is a rendering of the cove rooms from Carnival's site.

Mach on a few other threads has what is close to them on the QE2 (I think it is the QE2).

dr_cove_lg.jpg

The QM2 has 'hull' balconies. These are also very similar to the cat 12 balconies on the Fantasy class ship, although smaller.

The QM2 has 'hull' balconies. These are also very similar to the cat 12 balconies on the Fantasy class ship, although smaller.

Had a hunch I was wrong on what ship it was, thanks for the correction.

Just as a FYI in John's blog for today he has a few new renderings for the Dream.

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2008/06/24/a-public-relations-dream/

Wow, a lot of raw emotion over a cruise ship. Amazing.

Although not blessed with money, (I am blessed with a job to earn every dime of it) I am definitely interested in the Carnival Dream as well as the Oasis of the Seas. We are planning on doing both of them in '09-'10 hopefully.

I agree that RCCL is very innovative with their ships, some good, some bad. I think that CCL is getting better with "new" ideas so to speak.

I am impressed with the images of both ships that I have seen so far.

For those that have never tried either line, I would suggest cruising at least once on each, (newer ships). As for the ice skating rink, climbing wall, flow rider, etc... I think you would enjoy them more than you think. I used to have the same feeling; however that quickly changed with the Mariner and Liberty of the Seas for me. The Ice show is like nothing else I've seen on a cruise, I imagine that the new water show will be the same.

When are prices coming out for the Dream?

Enjoy your cruise, what ever ship you may be on...

We are waiting for the prices to be released too. My group was originally booked on the Freedom, but because Freedom is not going Europe anymore, we had to go to the Liberty. Now with the Dream, we want to try to get ourselves into that ship! :p I hope there is not a big price difference. The Oasis looks BEAUTIFUL!!! I would love to do the zip line! Maybe in 2011 we might do that! I book my vacations so far in advance, I am already lined up for the next two years!

Anyone else wonder sometimes whether a RCL rep and a CCL rep ever accidentally end up on the same thread, and duke it out?

After reading through this thread, that was my thought. ;) Heheh.

Can someone please point out to me on the deck plans where The Piazza is (or will be) located?

"Unique features of the Carnival Dream include a new concept in entertainment called The Piazza, a stunning indoor/outdoor café and live music venue;..."

Can someone please point out to me on the deck plans where The Piazza is (or will be) located?

"Unique features of the Carnival Dream include a new concept in entertainment called The Piazza, a stunning indoor/outdoor café and live music venue;..."

On Promenade, it is the area between and including the outdoor cafes.

On the deck plans they don't have many places named yet. It appears to me that The Piazza will be on Promenade, extending in from where the "Scenic Whirlpools" are. I noticed that there will be a sandwich counter inside from there as well.

Tom

OK now I need some help. Some of you have referred to the deck plans and different areas. I have looked here, on Carnival web, and can not find any deck plans for the Dream. Anyone have a link to see these?:confused:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/ships/carnival_dream/default.aspx?shipCode=DR

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/ships/carnival_dream/deckplan2.aspx

Archived