paranoid about traveling same day on cruise

Sushiman58

I wouldn't travel the day of the cruise. Even in summer months, there are plenty of delays, some due to thunderstorms, traffic, mechanical, etc. On the day of the cruise, you can get to the port about 10:30 and be on board having lunch and drinks by 11:30. At 1:00, music at the pool starts. It's like getting an extra day of fun!

I have done both (travel day of and day before). We also travel in good weather times of the year. However, we only booked direct flights that got us to the destination in the morning (around 10:30). No doubt you'll have to go to baggage too. If I was booking day of and my ship left from Miami, that's where I would fly to. I agree with the earlier post about booking air with cruiselines. They cause more risk than you would cause on your own and their price is almost always much higher and almost always involves changing planes. :mad:

We nearly missed our first cruise. Our flight was delayed 90 minutes due to mechanical issues. Our layover was only supposed to be 1 hour and 20 minutes so we missed our connecting flight. We were placed on standby for the next flight. The airline gave flight vouchers to people to get off the plane so we could make our cruise. The amazing part was the plane was already loaded and the volunteers actually were seated when they chose to take the vouchers so we could get on that flight.

The folks at the special services counter for US Air in Charlotte were amazing and tried everything to get us on that plane after they checked every other possible flight on other airlines. No other airline had anything available that would get us to Tampa in time to board the ship. They finally called a supervisor who put out one last request for volunteers to take a later flight and offered free airline tickets and airport food vouchers. It also probably helped our cause to have a totally adorable, quietly sobbing 8 year old daughter asking if we were going to have to miss our "boat" and go back home. The airline employees kept reassuring her we would get there in plenty of time.

By the way, we booked our flight through Carnival that time. I don't think we would ever book air with the cruise line again. After that first experience we fly down at least a day in advance. The last two cruises we flew down two days in advance. It is so much nicer to get a couple of days to unwind from the stress of traveling.

Just another thought - with all the wild and crazy thunderstorms we have been having around here, I wouldn't trust any airport to get their planes in or out on time. Try to change those flights, or come in the day before. (my favorite option)

I did this leaving at 7am out of Tricities, Tn on Delta. Ended up having a mechanical problem with the plane, so it didn't arrive until 10 or so. Missed our connector in Atlanta, then the next flight to Orlando was overbooked by 25 people. They sent us to Melbourne, FL and all we had time to do was ride a bus to the ship from Melbourne with no luggage, because our luggage went on the Orlando flight!!!!!!! :mad:

So, you never know! We didn't get our luggage until the 4th day and missed one formal night, because we had no clothes. We did have insurance, but you can only buy so much on the ship and in port (in other words no formal gear and it was day three before we even got to Jamaica where they had clothes).

I would pack the largest carryon possible with 1 casual outfit, 1 swimsuit, and 1 formal plus necessities.

Very bad experience that insurance cannot fix. We are driving to port this time.

With all this talk of missing the ship/flights cancelled etc...I'm wondering if we should fly in the night before our cruise on the Paradise. We were going to fly into either LAX or Long Beach from Phoenix. We could easily get up at 5am and drive the day of the cruise. We figured we would fly as to save time and it would cost about the same in gas. I hate to fly out the night before because it is Christmas. I haven't bought the tickets yet but the earliest flight is about 8:30 am. Any thoughts? Now I'm nervous thinking that if our flight gets delayed, we can't drive there in time because it would take about six hours. yikes!

With all this talk of missing the ship/flights cancelled etc...I'm wondering if we should fly in the night before our cruise on the Paradise. We were going to fly into either LAX or Long Beach from Phoenix. We could easily get up at 5am and drive the day of the cruise. We figured we would fly as to save time and it would cost about the same in gas. I hate to fly out the night before because it is Christmas. I haven't bought the tickets yet but the earliest flight is about 8:30 am. Any thoughts? Now I'm nervous thinking that if our flight gets delayed, we can't drive there in time because it would take about six hours. yikes!

No matter what, flying or driving, you need to go in a day ahead. What happens if you hit a traffic jam on the road (has happened and caused people to miss ships), get a flat tire (has happened to a friend) etc?

My boss missed the ship two weeks ago. They were on a connecting flight in Washington DC along with 15 others flying to FLL to get on the ship in Miami and were to arrive at 12:50pm. They had mechanical problems and had to fly a part in, so they were told the delay was going to be 3 hours. There was no other flight to take, so they went ahead and arranged to meet the ship in Cozumel 2 days later. The other people had their flights arranged through Carnival & had to wait on the plane to be repaired. She saw them arrive at 5:30pm on Monday (the ship left on Saturday,) & said they all looked very upset! Although they were out $1200. for 6 of them, at least they had Cozumel to themselves on Sunday, then got on the ship when it arrived in port Monday at 7am. They were given $100. credit for each person in their party since they missed the first day. I tried to warn her that she should get in the day before!!!!!

I don't think I would ever fly in the day of the cruise. I would be afraid of missing the ship with the airlines being so unreliable. This just happened to my brother and his wife last week and they had to meet the ship at the next port. They lost a day of their cruise. The airline was late and the crew had to have a certain amount of hours on the ground--then they were on the flight and there was a problem and they had to get off and there was no other flight until the next day.

We have always flown in the same day the ship leaves and have never had a problem, but then we are only a 3-hr. flight away from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. We have also flown into San Juan the same day of the cruise there. The last several years we have booked our own air, picked the times we wanted and the seats we wanted. This way we can get in as early we need to to get to the pier by 11:00. We did let the cruise line book our air to Hawaii and we had perfect flights.

If I want to change my filight I have to go thru USAIR . Carnival told me that even if the plane was 1 hour late they would still get us their

I am not going to post or read any more boards

I belive we will get there on time and enjoy the cruise

UNTIL I GET BACK

STEVE :o

First of all I can tell you as an airline employee, fly a day ahead for a stress free way to start your cruise!!

Also, Philly has alot of traffic stops in the outstations due to conditions in their area. At least once a week or so the incoming flight or outgoing flight to Philly is delay.

I know in 2005 we had our family reunion on a cruise. The majority of my family purchased cruise air. The ship was sailing out of Miami, but they sent half of my family to Fort Lauderdale. The ones that went to Fort Lauderdale had to wait for some very tight concections and they arrived at the ship right at muster drill time. It was very stressful for my parents and the others talking to the ones that we on the ship not knowing if they were going to make it

the family booked a July 19 Imaganation Cruise The cruise leaves at 4:00 We booked thru carnival as i won fun ship dollars. I asked for a non stop from Islip NY to Miami or FLL

Well we got a 1 stop that leaves NY at 7:00 gets to PHil at 8:00 and leaves Phil at 10:00 and gets into FLL at 1:10

just hoping no issues and we get to the boat in miami on time

We took Travlex light insurance.

First cruise I need drink to calm down

Steve

FLL and Miami are about 30 minutes from each other (basically with little or no traffic). You should be OK but in the future, fly in the day before. That's what we're doing on an upcoming Med. cruise - even though we could fly in the day of and have plenty of time before the ship sails, we have a very long flight and don't want want to be overtired. Believe me, flying in the day prior will give you peace of mind!

Laurie

If I want to change my filight I have to go thru USAIR . Carnival told me that even if the plane was 1 hour late they would still get us their

I

I am not going to post or read any more boards

I belive we will get there on time and enjoy the cruise

UNTIL I GET BACK

STEVE :o

I am so sorry you got so much negetive, and I was going to try and reassure you some, but you probably wont read this one.:( I will always now fly in the day before, just to be safe and avoid the stress, However I did fly once, the day of, and coincidently to FLL. To make you feel somewhat better, I have flown into that airport twice, and getting through it, and getting your luggage is quick and easy, more so than any airport I have been in. And July you probably won't have weather issues. Also, book your transport from airport to ship with Carnival. They have, on ships I have been on, held the ship for someone on their way, if on a Carnival transport. Just try your best to cover all your bases. you will be fine. Dont stress and have a great big DOD first thing when you get on the ship.

There is absolutely no way to know if you could get delayed or have a problem and miss sailing. Now the odds are pretty good that you would make it but just realize there is a risk involved in going the same day. Didn't read the entire thread, but did you purchase travel insurance? I would feel better going the same day then. Like a previous poster said if you can go the day before its ideal and its like having an extra part of a vacation. We went a day early for our Alaska cruise and go to see some of Seattle it was fun.

I do know of people that missed the sailing and had to meet up with the ship two days later at the first port. They had a problem after take off and had to return to the airport and could not get back out that day. The ship was at sea the 1st day and they had to fly to Nassau.

We've been on two cruises and both times we left the same day as departure. The first time, we drove to Tampa. The second, we caught a direct flight from Atlanta to Miami. Granted, we don't have as far to travel as you do, but both times our trips went smoothly. I'm a worrier too and I was more worried about the flight than I was about the drive. At some point, you have to realize that there are only so many things that you can control. All you can do is get to the airport on time and be optimistic that everything will go smoothly and you will be on the ship when it sets sail happily sipping a drink. If letting go of worrying about what you cannot control doesn't work, direct your energy toward coming up with a Plan B-just in case. That always helps me feel better:D .

i spoke to customer service who said that they think I should not have a issue i need to call back tomorrow to the Fly Aweigh department and explain my concerns. If i have to pay a deviation fee to get to Miami earlier I might

Will let you the outcome

Do you have a phone number for the Fly Aweigh department?

We have always flown in the same day the ship leaves and have never had a problem, but then we are only a 3-hr. flight away from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. We have also flown into San Juan the same day of the cruise there. The last several years we have booked our own air, picked the times we wanted and the seats we wanted. This way we can get in as early we need to to get to the pier by 11:00. We did let the cruise line book our air to Hawaii and we had perfect flights.

OMG...let me make a correction here...we are 1 hr 45 min. flight to Miami and FLL! I was thinking about our 3hr DRIVE to Myrtle Beach, SC!

Sorry for that mistake. I hope you get your flight worked out.

Sometimes leaving two days early isn't enough.

Here is my adventure from last summer:

http://forums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=712990#19

FYI, they did let us board at about 3:30

I am not sure I would have handled the stress that well. We fly from one side of the country to the other but we are getting in at 8:00 AM the day before. Our ship leaves at 4:00 the next day so we do have a window. Also have insurance. Nice thing is we don't have to deal with Atlanta. We did that last year going to Orlando and were 4 1/2 hours delayed there. Loved that story your wrote .:)

• 4 weeks later...

I usually get a direct flight from BDL to Fll but If I had to make a stop then go to fll I would fly in the day before the cruise. Any thing can happen during the winter months or the summer thru the fall. If you fly direct you and your baggage leave and get there when the plane lands.

Gary

I have heard that if your flight doesn't make it, you can fly to the first port and they will still let you board. Of course you would have to pay for the flight.

Also when you land the first time, try to get on a stand-by by for an earlier flight. The only issue with this would be the luggage. IF you can carry it with you, that would help, but going on a cruise, you probably have a large suitcase with liquids (sun tan oil and such), so that may not be an option for you.

I hope things work out for you.

Archived