a baby in the swimming pool?

yeah, but that assumes that people will follow the rules :rolleyes:

Agreed. And for the health and safety of all, the onboard staff has the responsibility to enforce the policy ... and/or to be responsive to those who "complain" about the diapers and swimmies in the pools.

We just got off the Westerdam yesterday with our 13 month old. I brought along a swim diaper that is actaully plastic pants covered by fabric with elestaic legs by Spedo. We took our daughter into the pool on Saturday afternoon and had no problems.... In fact' date=' many comments by staff and patrons on how cute she was.... [/quote']

Whether or not anyone said anything to you, it's a violation of public health regulations.

Swim diapers, and non potty-trained children are not allowed in pools on any cruise ships that call at US ports. This is a US Public Health Regulation.

"Why are children who are not toilet trained forbidden from swimming in pools on cruise ships?

Children who wear any type of swimming diaper or who are diaper-aged are not allowed to swim because fecal matter may contaminate the water. This can expose other swimmers to fecal matter that is potentially infectious. "

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/FAQ/FAQ.htm#children

We have seen when a little one in diapers left fecal matter behind. Pool had to be closed, drained, cleaned and EVERYONE on the ship was without use of it for two days.

Thanks...... That family didn't make a bunch of friends with that episode. :( But as long as baby had fun, no problem.

We just got off the Westerdam yesterday with our 13 month old. I brought along a swim diaper that is actaully plastic pants covered by fabric with elestaic legs by Spedo. We took our daughter into the pool on Saturday afternoon and had no problems.... In fact' date=' many comments by staff and patrons on how cute she was [/u'].... As for all the people who are againist swim diapers, do you think all those kids get out and use the bathroom, I guarntee over half of them pee in the pool............ And this shocks you!!!!

Sorry, Kate...... this is not at attack at you. You apparently were not aware of the rules.

This is a comment about staff that thought it was so cute.

They need more training IMO

(underline supplied by me)

I also do not want to see the ships start to provide special pools for toddlers.

Terrible idea.

IIRC, the S and R class ships had special pools in the midships Lido? I think they closed them due to the Public Health concerns.

We just got off the Westerdam yesterday with our 13 month old. I brought along a swim diaper that is actaully plastic pants covered by fabric with elestaic legs by Spedo. We took our daughter into the pool on Saturday afternoon and had no problems.... In fact' date=' many comments by staff and patrons on how cute she was.... As for all the people who are againist swim diapers, do you think all those kids get out and use the bathroom, I guarntee over half of them pee in the pool............ And this shocks you!!!![/quote']

Just another example of how the staff selectively enforces the rules.

We were on the Westerdam in April and several infants were in the pool, some with regular diapers, some with swim diapers, some with NO diapers. Not a word was said, although it was brought to the attention of staff. However, my 8-year-old niece and nephew started to enter the aft pool before we even sailed away from Miami (none of us saw the sign that said "adults only") and they were immediately told they couldn't use that pool. Fair enough. We didn't see the sign and once it was brought to our attention, the kids didn't use that pool. But the same rules should apply to parents who let their kids in the pool with diapers. I have no problem if they are just dipping their feet. But fully submerging them in the pool with diapers is just gross.

BTW, just for the record, it's not urine that's the problem. Urine is sterile. It's fecal matter that's the problem.

I also do not want to see the ships start to provide special pools for toddlers.

Terrible idea.

I agree-----the babies would start cross-infecting each other. It would be like dunking your baby in a toilet!!!

Swim diapers are acceptable for large natural bodies of water that are thoroughly flushed and cleaned by natural forces, such as oceans and large lakes. They are NOT suitable for small enclosed bodies of water like pools or even small ponds. It is very unfortunate that not all parents understand this distinction.

Swim diapers are acceptable for large natural bodies of water that are thoroughly flushed and cleaned by natural forces, such as oceans and large lakes. They are NOT suitable for small enclosed bodies of water like pools or even small ponds. It is very unfortunate that not all parents understand this distinction.

excellent post--that sums it up perfectly:)

And, the rules (really common sense, do we really need a "rule"?) also apply to the hot tubs. Watched a father dip the kiddo in and out like a tea bag.

Unfortunately we have seen far too many people break (disregard) the rules. And we have seen babies with diapers in the pools and hot tubs.

I saw a mother with her baby (wearing diapers) immersed in the hot tub for a long period of time. I was freaking out for that baby:eek: ! I don't have children but I do have common sense. Would staff say anything?

Perfect opportunity for me to show you the family w/baby that were in the hot tub on my Noordam cruise. Parents and three children getting out.

MediterraneanCruise406.jpg

We were on the Westerdam in April and several infants were in the pool, some with regular diapers, some with swim diapers, some with NO diapers. Not a word was said, although it was brought to the attention of staff. However, my 8-year-old niece and nephew started to enter the aft pool before we even sailed away from Miami (none of us saw the sign that said "adults only") and they were immediately told they couldn't use that pool. Fair enough. We didn't see the sign and once it was brought to our attention, the kids didn't use that pool. But the same rules should apply to parents who let their kids in the pool with diapers. I have no problem if they are just dipping their feet. But fully submerging them in the pool with diapers is just gross.

Thank you for following the rules. :)

There were children in the aft pool on our cruise. :rolleyes: The sign was even pointed out by a passenger, but the parents just ignored it. The children were back every day. The main pool was taken over by children on our Mediterranean cruise, but that's fine with me. I don't get into the pools or the hot tub, however I did use the T-spa pool.

Even dipping feet in the pool can be a problem. Babies are known to release bowels when they get near water. Waste can trickle into the pool while baby is being dipped. :eek:

BTW, just for the record, it's not urine that's the problem. Urine is sterile. It's fecal matter that's the problem.

MIAMI??? :confused:

We were on the Westerdam in April and several infants were in the pool, some with regular diapers, some with swim diapers, some with NO diapers. Not a word was said, although it was brought to the attention of staff. But the same rules should apply to parents who let their kids in the pool with diapers. I have no problem if they are just dipping their feet. But fully submerging them in the pool with diapers is just gross.

If I had seen that and the pool area staff didn't get the non-potty-trained individuals out of the pool ... I likely would have visted the Front Desk and requested to speak with the Hotel Manager. This is a health regulation and not a relative we'll-enforce-if-we-want issue. And, I don't think any cruiseline can afford the bad publicity or the potential fines for ignoring/not enforcing the rule.

I figured there would be some heated responses. Obviously we did follow the rules as posted. And no, I wouldn't put my kid in a hot tub for obvious safety reasons (scalding and increase of body temperature). I appreciate the people who responded regarding chemicals and sanitation, etc. because rather than everyone's opinion as to what they like or don't like I really wanted to know about the real issue. I'm guessing most have never run a public pool. Adults and older adults also have accidents, yet there are no rules regarding them entering the pool. Kids that are potty trained have accidents as well. And a pool that is kept to high standards in terms of being chemically treated, is just as safe as your very own bathtub. Interesting though that Utah actually banned swim diapers. Obviously they aren't offering swim lessons for kids under 3 yrs. old.

A big thank you to the person who suggested the blow-up pool - that's a brilliant idea and I can't wait to set it up in the main dining room! :)

Obviously we did follow the rules as posted.

A big thank you to the person who suggested the blow-up pool - that's a brilliant idea and I can't wait to set it up in the main dining room! :)

I believe the posted rules address (1) diapers and (2) non-potty-trained individuals.

I figured there would be some heated responses. Obviously we did follow the rules as posted. And no, I wouldn't put my kid in a hot tub for obvious safety reasons (scalding and increase of body temperature). I appreciate the people who responded regarding chemicals and sanitation, etc. because rather than everyone's opinion as to what they like or don't like I really wanted to know about the real issue. I'm guessing most have never run a public pool. Adults and older adults also have accidents, yet there are no rules regarding them entering the pool. Kids that are potty trained have accidents as well. And a pool that is kept to high standards in terms of being chemically treated, is just as safe as your very own bathtub. Interesting though that Utah actually banned swim diapers. Obviously they aren't offering swim lessons for kids under 3 yrs. old.

Yes. Actually Utah had to close them first and then install the ban as there were 1,963 cases of cryptosporidiosis. There were just 14 cases during the previous summer. The CDC noted once the outbreak happens, it repeats. Kids were sick all over the place. One thing that should be noted is this can happen whether the baby has an accident or not. I learned from the news here that hygiene can also comes into play after any bout with diarrhea. Don't quote me but I think even adults had to stay away from pools for 2 weeks after having that symptom. Much as people want to go on carefree like it used to be seems like everything has changed doesn't it? I guess all a parent can do now is take the babies to the beach. Kind of sad.

Please book my cruise if you are going to set that up in the dining room. I want pictures! lol

If I had seen that and the pool area staff didn't get the non-potty-trained individuals out of the pool ... I likely would have visted the Front Desk and requested to speak with the Hotel Manager. This is a health regulation and not a relative we'll-enforce-if-we-want issue. And, I don't think any cruiseline can afford the bad publicity or the potential fines for ignoring/not enforcing the rule.

We did complain to the front desk. Nothing was done....

Obviously we did follow the rules as posted.

No, if the rule is NO DIAPERS, then you did not follow the rules.

It does not say NO DIAPERS, EXCEPT FOR SWIM DIAPERS. Nor does it say NO DIAPERS, EXCEPT FOR kansaslittleone.

It says NO DIAPERS.

Archived