A new and forever HAL convert

karylj

:) I recently returned from my first HAL cruise, and want to let all of you veterans out there know that there is one more true convert to your ranks of HAL lovers. This was my 5th cruise, having previously cruised on RCCL and Celebrity in the Caribbean. We sailed on Zuiderdam June 13, from Venice to Barcelona. Admittedly, the itinerary may have influenced my overall enjoyment of this cruise (the main reason I chose HAL in the first place), but I can truly say that this was a first class operation from embarkation to the very last minute. The staff was unfailingly upbeat, smiling, accessible, unobtrusive, and professional. The ship, having undergone some work in drydock recently, was shining, and kept that way. Cabin stewards were rarely seen in the hallways, but the cabins were unfailingly spotless and supplied. The food in the dining room was outstanding, making the contrast with the excellent food in the Pinnacle, almost unnoticeable. AYW dining was convenient for long days ashore. We usually dined early, asked for the same waiter each night, and always got a table for two, as requested. There were never any long lines in the Lido, and room service was prompt, complete, and hot. Entertainment in the lounges and main theater was top notch. Even the lifeboat drill was fast, efficient, and painless. Narration during the sail away from Venice and our entrance into the caldera of Santorini really enhanced our enjoyment of the experience. The fact that the captain actually slowed the ship to a crawl so that we could all observe the spectacular nighttime eruption of the volcano on Stomboli is an indication of this crew's interest in making great memories for their guests. One more small thing that I truly appreciated was the fact that they do not require guests to put their luggage outside the cabins until 1am, giving us enough time to enjoy the last evening, pack, and not have extra clothes to carry off the ship. Also, we were allowed to stay in our cabin right up to the announcement that our group could disembark, not having to vacate early in the morning and sit in public areas. I have a boatload of wonderful memories from this cruise and would not hesitate an instant about sailing again on HAL.

We have only cruised on HAL and are not inclined to try any other line. We are completely satisfied with what we experience with them. One of my favourite mantras is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Karylj,

Welcome back from your first HAL cruise and welcome to the HAL Lovers Club! I am a relatively recent convert (1st HAL cruise in January 2006) and with the one exception of a Celebrity 5 day this past Jan. (couldn't take the grandkids out of school any longer) we will most likely stay with HAL. In fact we booked a cruise to Alaska for next May on Princess because of a great deal on a mini-suite, then realized we just really wanted to stay with HAL so we cancelled and are now sailing on the Westerdam.

I'm so happy that you had such a wonderful time on the Zuiderdam. I have never sailed her, but have been aboard twice for lunch, and she is a lovely ship. Thanks for posting about your good experience; I, for one, would like to hear more! :)

Susan

Glad to read your report:) That's why we booked our 1st cruise on HAL after sailing several other lines. Of course itinerary and price entered into the equation also. I have seen a few negative posts here, but the majority of posts have been positive.:D

We have been loyal HAL homers since our first cruise in 1992. We love the understated elegance of the ships, the professionalism of the crew and the amiable vibe on board. HAL ships are happy ships, no matter what the passenger mix. Sure we get frustrated every now & again, mostly when we engage in the (no-win) discussion about “the way things used to be”. But we have never seriously considered sailing another line (heck we don’t even lurk the other boards). As long as HAL continues to be true to its “Signature of Excellence”, we’ll be along for the sail.

We took our first cruise this past Decmber with HAl so I'm a new convert. Wouldn't rule another line out but there are things HAL does that we miss on other lines we have sailed. And HAL is the best value for the money out there!!!

I am happy to see that they have succeeded in working out the kinks from our experience just after drydock. I felt certain they would.

I am not surprised you found the Santorini and Stromboli experiences fantastic .. they were indeed for us as well ..

Glad you had a superb cruise and now understand what we veterans find so appealing in HAL ..

harry

Welcome to HAL! We have only sailed with HAL (#6 coming up) and agree with Sapper, if it ain't broke don't fix it ;)

We recently sailed with my sister and her DH. They had sailed on two other lines and now they say that HAL will be their #1 choice from now on.

I am anxiously awaiting my first HAL cruse 9/12 on Amsterdam to Alaska. I have cruised three times on Carnival and had no big complaints. Three different ships and different venues, but everything I read here makes me wonder if I will ever be able to use Carnival again. HAL sounds absolutely wonderful and I am wondering why it has taken me so long to realize this. The reviews are great and it doesn't seem to matter which ship or venue. I will post a review when I return and I am sure it will be very positive.

Archived