Aft or Suite?

eddiesgal

Same here. Only "SA" for us. We don't care to be aft. Just our personal preference and definitely understand why many love those cabins. It is most likely that if all was available for a cruise we wanted to book was an aft suite, we would not book the cruise. We'd book a different date in order to have our "SA".

How did this practice of referring to stern cabins as aft cabins ever get started? Approximately half the cabins on the ship are aft cabins ... everything abaft of the mid-point! :D

How did this practice of referring to stern cabins as aft cabins ever get started? Approximately half the cabins on the ship are aft cabins ... everything abaft of the mid-point! :D

Can't answer that question but maybe somebody else out there can:p

I wonder that, too, John. It always throws me off when someone refers to the staterooms on the stern of the ship as "aft" staterooms. :rolleyes:

We really enjoyed our port corner SC on the stern on the Westerdam but there's too much walking involved for me now. We much prefer the SA suites near the Neptune Lounge. If walking is not a problem for you, I would highly recommend one of the cabins on the stern as it is a marvelous location with choice scenery, especially in Alaska. The large verandas are a definite plus.

GN

I'm not sure I understand the question. When you speak of an aft stateroom do you mean a verandah cabin as opposed to the deluxe suite? I don't think anyone would give up even an SC suite for an SS or SY. That would be a downgrade and a loss of suite privileges.

If you are talking about the aft verandahs, then I probably would give it up for and SS or SY because of the extra room in those cabins.

On our last cruise, we originally booked a VA on the aft (or stern, whatever), but a few weeks before the cruise, we were offered an incredible deal on an upsell to a SZ guarantee, and then another to an SA. At first, I did suffer a bit of buyers remorse, as I had really looked forward to having the wake view. However, the moment we walked through the door of our suite, I was immediately glad we'd made the switch. We are currently booked on an aft VA on the Eurodam, and if an upsell offer comes our way again, there will be not a moment's hesitation... :p

We have booked insides and verandahs, including an aft or stern facing VA. I loved that aft facing cabin but I just booked an SY this morning for $100 (each) more - the space in the cabin is worth the money over the deep verandah any day. And yes, the distance from one end of the ship to the other on the Vista class ships is considerable!

speaking with someone who loves aft cabins and try to get one on most sailings - i would probably not give up an aft cabin for a ss or sy, but i would for the sc sb sa.....

i personally luv the aft suites - usually sc / sb ,,,as personally i rarely use the neptune lounge - just my preference.....

now i do use the conceirge lounge on rci, as they serve drinks as well,,,,,but on hal, i can have coffee delivered anytime to my aft suite...

again, only my personal preference and everyone has choices to make....

ciao for now

i g n a z i o & m a r c o

When I booked my VA aft cabins for the last two cruises, I specifically asked that I not be given an upgrade which would have been automatically done without any imput from me. I wanted the cabin I booked and was worried about where they'd put me. Now, if it were the SA or a penthouse, well that would have been OK.:cool:

Thank you! Maybe the incorrrect usage is due to 'aft' being similar to 'ass'? :eek: :D

On our last cruise, we originally booked a VA on the aft (or stern, whatever),

Here's a hint, 'aft' is 'towards the stern'. :) You can't be on the aft because the aft is not a specific place on a ship, it is a direction.

Just our personal preference and definitely understand why many love those cabins. It is most likely that if all was available for a cruise we wanted to book was an aft suite, we would not book the cruise. We'd book a different date in order to have our "SA".

Same here!!

We would book a different date or a different ship.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John - I'm bumping this up to ask a question (on the basis that there's no stupid question).;);) I don't know much about "ship language" which may be why I always thought that AFT is to STERN what FORWARD is to BOW. One is directional, the other is an actual part of the ship.

I see several posters have taken your helpful lesson to heart & now refer to cabins in the back of the ship as STERN cabins. That throws me! Does this practice also apply to the front of the ship? Should those cabins properly be called BOW cabins? :confused::confused:

Hi John - I'm bumping this up to ask a question (on the basis that there's no stupid question).;);) I don't know much about "ship language" which may be why I always thought that AFT is to STERN what FORWARD is to BOW. One is directional, the other is an actual part of the ship.

I see several posters have taken your helpful lesson to heart & now refer to cabins in the back of the ship as STERN cabins. That throws me! Does this practice also apply to the front of the ship? Should those cabins properly be called BOW cabins? :confused::confused:

Ok I'm not Mr. Nautical either but I'll take a shot. I would say yes IF there were any such cabins. But I believe the cabins end on the port and starboard SIDES before they get to the BOW. Not so on the stern as those cabins are all the way AFT.

Ok I'm not Mr. Nautical either but I'll take a shot. I would say yes IF there were any such cabins. But I believe the cabins end on the port and starboard SIDES before they get to the BOW. Not so on the stern as those cabins are all the way AFT.

Thanks NetwrkEng (newly dubbed Mr. Nautical). That's a good explanation & I guess the Vista class ships are a great example of what you're saying. On the Noordam, AFT cabins are 9 ft from the STERN while FORWARD cabins are 102 ft from the BOW. The difference is slightly less on the R & S class vessels. But this correct language business sounds a bit weird rolling off the tongue, at least to moi. :eek:

Does this practice also apply to the front of the ship? Should those cabins properly be called BOW cabins? :confused::confused:
I would say yes IF there were any such cabins. But I believe the cabins end on the port and starboard SIDES before they get to the BOW.
There are a handful of cabins around the HAL fleet that have windows that face the "pointy end of the ship", so to my mind those would be "bow cabins". (There's none on the S-class, but on the R-class and Vistas there's a pair, on the Eurodam there's six. Despite what the deck plans say, 10005 & 10006 do not have forward-facing windows though.)

For any cabins that aren't "stern" (wake-facing) or "bow" (point-facing), they're either forward (of center) or aft (of center), although most people refer to the center 1/3 or 1/2 of the ship as "midships". But anybody in the forward 1/4 of the ship can properly say they're in a forward cabin, and those in the last 1/4 can say they're in an aft cabin. :)

But anybody in the forward 1/4 of the ship can properly say they're in a forward cabin, and those in the last 1/4 can say they're in an aft cabin. :)

Hi John - Glad you found the thread again! I realized after I bumped it up you were off-line but better late than never. NOW you're back to my language....:p:p

Same here. Only "SA" for us. It is most likely that if all was available for a cruise we wanted to book was an aft suite, we would not book the cruise. We'd book a different date in order to have our "SA".

Same here!!

We would book a different date or a different ship.

Hopefully I will have this kind of problem some day..:rolleyes: ;)

Personally, I perfer the cabins on the "stern".. My ideal cabin would be the SC,or SB,on the Vista's, with there large wrap around balconies..Love spending days at sea out there listening to the wake..Also best veiws for sailaway IMO..:)

Bulldog

Archived