Explorer Of The Seas Out Of Ny Prices Are Sky High!

Hi Everyone,

I can see why people complain about pricing. DH and I have always booked inside cabins because we are never in them long enough to enjoy cabins. We are always out and about.

When I first booked the EOS for August 23, 2008 we were paying $2270.26 for a PR room. We basically took the attitude that at least we only had less than a 2 hour drive to the port so no big deal. It kept bugging me though that I had a window facing a bunch of shops etc etc for $2270.26. So I started looking at the site everyday and the other interior rooms where priced about the same (about a $100.00 difference).

Well DH and I decided to take a gamble when the interior guaranteed stateroom became available. We ended up booking it. They assigned us an interior "Q" category:eek: in the forward of the ship. Ok now I was having nightmares about listening to the anchor drop etc etc lol. Anyway my DH told me not to worry about it because when push came to shove not even a bomb going off under me would wake me up (not even a tiny little anchor like that :D). Ok so I left it alone because ater all we got the price down another couple of hundred dollars ($300.00 to be exact). So instead of paying $2270.26 we are now paying $1970.26 which gives me extra money for gambling or shopping. Hey I can't go wrong.

Well to make this long story a little shorter DH and I made final payment and low and behold RCL decided to drop their prices even further. I called them immediately and they gave us an additional $300.00 off our cabin. So the total price of the cruise is now $1670.00. Well I don't want to sound cheap but we do like to travel and all I need is a clean bed and somewhere to shower. This is how we have been able to afford to go away on 2 cruises a year.

When I looked at our reservation on line the other day to book some excursions they bumped us up to a "N" category and more towards the "Aft" so all I need to do is worry about the engines. :D

For all those that book JS, Oceanviews, GS etc etc I can understand why you would say the prices are high. For a 6 day 5 night cruise it is outrageous what they charge and it seems that the prices are there to stay.

To say the least I am happy with our decision. We ended up paying about $400 more to stay closer to home. For us that is worth it. Its just convinent. ;)

maybe this is a 9 night

mgmigs, even at 9 nights, $899 is just the "entry" price. No one gets on the ship for that. Fuel surcharge alone is $90, then taxes/fees.

That's not paying less than $100 a night.

Let's keep the discussion honest! ;)

RC is simply adjusting price to demand. To the best of my knowledge almost every sailing (including in the dead of winter) is sold out. Why would RC have any reason to reduce their price? We are willing and apparently able to pay their rising fares!

That being said- we sailed on EOS 2 years ago for a 9 day and paid $999 for a guar. balcony (which was a STEAL). Then 18 months ago we paid $549-ocean view- for a 9 day repositioning to Miami. Last April we paid $1249 for a PR 9 day. I still think the price was good- taking into consideration we don't have airfare or hotels leaving out of NJ.

Now- the big question will be what happens to the price of the Grandeur in Baltimore. Those rates have been high for years, because there was no competition. In sails Carnival and watch RC drop their rates on Grandeur. I have a small group planned on Carnival Pride in fall 09 and we are paying for an interior $640 pp including tax,port charges, fuel sup. It's hard to stay Loyal to Royal with prices like that!

Also, the dates on the Explorer are much higher during the summer months and some school vacations. It's great if you can go during the winter, but if you have to travel when school is off, you'll pay a much higher price. For 2010 it looks like the winter trips aren't geared towards NY school breaks (Feb. and Easter/Passover). They're 12 night trips which means you have to take your kids out of school extra days, but that's good for people who don't have kids I guess.

I love Bayonne too, but switched to FL this year on the Freedom when I found an OS at a great price of $3700 (after a few discounts) for the 3 of us. We sure will miss getting in the car and being home in 20 minutes.

wow! that really IS a great great great price! Good find! wish i'd find deals like that!:D

I am debating on whether to book the Caribbean Princess or the Explorer of the Seas (both 9 days) out of NY next June/July. Checking prices and the Explorer is $1100.00 more than the Princess (3 people).

I have been on the Caribbean Princess twice (most recently in May) and have been on the Mariner and the Navigator. I enjoy both lines and have no preference.

I do however have a friend who is dying to try Royal but with that price difference we will most likely go with Princess.

Has anyone booked early (year out) out of NY on Royal and received price reductions before sailing?? That is what my friend is hoping for.

July, '07 we booked the 12 night southern on EOS leaving 4/5/09. Got a fantastic price of $1,519 pp for an E1 (corner aft no less), all taxes and fees included. That is about $200 pp less than we paid for a 9 night on Crown Princess (mini suite) out of Brooklyn last June. Since we booked I have checked prices almost daily and they have not gone down. As a matter of fact, they have gone up over $1,000 pp since we booked. I don't see them going down any if at all before sailing. We have sailed Princess twice now and have not been on RCI yet. We really loved Princess but this price was too good to pass up. We are in Indiana and will most likely drive to the port with airfare being so high. It would take us probably a total of 6-8 hours hassling in airports and on planes to get there and we can drive in about 12 hours so not bad. Either way we have to buy a hotel room the night before so that didn't factor in for us.

Unless you are talking about a 12 night cruise, your friends are NOT paying less than $100 per night.

I guess I am not sure what you are saying? Are you referring to the taxes extra?

It was $899 for 9-night inside. I understand your points above, but for ME the hassle and cost of flying to Florida makes the Explorer more of a bargain. We are all entitled to our opinion. I agree that since I have booked this cruise, the prices have increased significantly.

mgmigs, even at 9 nights, $899 is just the "entry" price. No one gets on the ship for that. Fuel surcharge alone is $90, then taxes/fees.

That's not paying less than $100 a night.

Let's keep the discussion honest! ;)

The fuel surcharge was not $10 when we booked. I believe it was 5, so 45 pp, and then yes taxes and fees. But my TA gave us a discount (from their commission), so it offset that...So, I'm sorry that I appeared dishonest on this message board, perhaps it comes out to less than 150 a day.

That's why we're leaving from Florida. Even with the airfare, it's cheaper than taking the Explorer. I was so disappointed. I really wanted to try her.

Next year we really want to go to Bermuda, but since NCL was cheapest, we booked that. It's costing us about the same as we paid for our trip this year with airfare.

I will keep my eye on RCI and see if the prices come down. If so, then I'll move my reservation back to RCI.

You will really enjoy the NCL Dawn to Bermuda. NCL's fare is much less expensive than RCCL but there are hidden costs with NCL. We always dine in their surcharge specialty restaurants rather than NCL's main dining rooms. The surcharge for these restaurants is worth every penny. We pay extra for NCL's spa facilities also (adults only area and it is WONDERFUL). Even with the additional "ala carte" charges, NCL's 7 day Dawn cruise to Bermuda still winds us costing less than RCCL's Explorer 5 day to Bermuda.

The personality of the Dawn is very endearing also. Hope you love her as DH and I do.

BTW...we are Diamond members on RCCL.

I've been on both lines, a couple times. Just cuz I'm new here doesn't mean I'm new to cruising.

I prefer RC, but if I really want to go from NYC, and I can save 4 grand, I'll suck it up and cruise NCL. :)

DH and I have two favorite cruise lines...NCL and RCCL and we give the edge to NCL. We dine mainly in NCL's surcharge specialty restaurants, however, which makes our dining experience exceptional. We also cruise only on NCL's newer ships and would not cruise on their older ships which were not built for Freestyle dining. In fact, NCL actually has the youngest fleet in the cruising industry.

We love the Freestyle dining option but I realize it is not for everyone. Freestyle is only for the folks who don't really care if they don't have the same wait staff and table mates every evening. Freestyle dining is also for those who don't want to be "locked in" to a specific dining time.

We love RCCL also, just not as much as NCL. We have never had a bad cruise, just some that were superior to others. We have cruised Carnival, Celebrity, HAL and Princess when we first started cruising seven years ago. We have now just completed our 25th cruise (Liberty OTS) and continue to hold NCL and RCCL as our two favorite cruise lines.

Technically, Bayonne is NOT part of NY. But, don't forget that besides Bayonne, there is Red Hook in Brooklyn and Manhattan. So in all, that gives you the choice of many different cruise lines sailing out of NY. For RCCL to charge the prices it does and include a lot of free activities that other lines tend to "nickle and dime" you for, makes a big difference. Plus, not having to fly (additional cost and inconvenience), not having to come in earlier and book a hotel and purchase food, etc. makes it worth paying more. You know you and your luggage will arrive at the same time and at the same place and you will not end up missing the ship.

NCL is a totally different experience than what RCCL provides. The lengths and ports are not comparable. More often than not, to get the same level of food provided by RCCL in their main dining rooms, you need to book the specialty pay extras restaurants on NCL so that will push your price up considerably. NCL has only recently upgraded a lot of the on board activities it offers while RCCL has been providing them all along. As this has happened, NCL has raised its prices as well. What they charge for the Villas is crazy. Why go with NCL if you want to travel like being on QM2 -- just book the real thing and be done with it!

MARAPRINCE

Technically, Bayonne is NOT part of NY. But, don't forget that besides Bayonne, there is Red Hook in Brooklyn and Manhattan. So in all, that gives you the choice of many different cruise lines sailing out of NY. For RCCL to charge the prices it does and include a lot of free activities that other lines tend to "nickle and dime" you for, makes a big difference. Plus, not having to fly (additional cost and inconvenience), not having to come in earlier and book a hotel and purchase food, etc. makes it worth paying more. You know you and your luggage will arrive at the same time and at the same place and you will not end up missing the ship.

NCL is a totally different experience than what RCCL provides. The lengths and ports are not comparable. More often than not, to get the same level of food provided by RCCL in their main dining rooms, you need to book the specialty pay extras restaurants on NCL so that will push your price up considerably. NCL has only recently upgraded a lot of the on board activities it offers while RCCL has been providing them all along. As this has happened, NCL has raised its prices as well. What they charge for the Villas is crazy. Why go with NCL if you want to travel like being on QM2 -- just book the real thing and be done with it!

MARAPRINCE

On our recent NCL Dawn cruise to Bermuda, we docked at King's Warf for three full days and it was really nice. This was a seven night cruise. The RCCL Explorer is only a five night cruise and spends less time in Bermuda. I would definately give the edge to NCL in this instance.

We just got off the Liberty OTS and had a wonderful time. We dined in the main dining room only one night and I would say the food quality and service is right on par with NCL's main dining room. NCL's specialty restaurants are every bit as good as Chops and Portofino. I would actually give the edge to NCL for their specialty restaurants too. Service and food quality are exceptional.

The edge goes definately to NCL when it comes to the buffet dining venue. DH and I have not seen a better buffet on any of the ships than the newest NCL ships, Pearl and Gem. NCL is introducing their "action stations" to all their ships and they should all be in place by now. This is part of their Freestyle upgrades. Many of the action stations have chefs preparing the food in front of you. The food is fresh and hot when it needs to be hot and cold when it needs to be cold. The food quality is excellent. The breakfast action stations have eggs benedict which were ALWAYS cooked to perfection.

On our recent Liberty OTS cruise, in the main dining room, I ordered eggs Benedict one morning and the yolks were completely hard. I had noticed that a couple of folks at nearby tables sent back their eggs benedict so I commented to my waiter that the yolks were overcooked. He spoke to the Chef and relayed to me that the Chef said that is the way they always cook eggs Benedict and if I want the yolks cooked any other way, I would have to request it. What?????? I know food is subjective but as far as I know, the yolks for eggs Benedict are not supposed to be hard as a rock.

I almost forgot to mention...(this may not seem so important to some folks but)...NCL offers cappuccino at dinner time and it is included. They also have espresso/cappuccino/latte' machines in their buffet area. The machines make really good coffee drinks and they are free to use any time. I just love this little perk from NCL as I'm an avid coffee drinker. (see my username)

Nothing beats the RCCL ice shows for entertainment value. The edge goes to RCCL's Voyager and Freedom class ships for these shows. The Voyager class and Freedom class ships also offer more bells and whistles than the NCL ships. This is why RCCL remains one of our favorites cruise lines yet it still falls behind NCL for other things as I have mentioned. DH and I love to dine when we want to and not with strangers. NCL does this so well with so many dining venues with different cuisines and decor. Not to mention, the specialty dining venues are so much more intimate than the huge cavernous main dining rooms that both NCL and RCCL have to offer. We prefer the more intimate romantic atmospheres to dine but I understand there are folks who are not looking for that.

I'm glad we have settled on two cruise lines to sail on. Both offer different things but they both offer a wonderful vacation experience.

On 12/21/07 I booked the Explorer for their 12-night 3/15/09 sailing out of New Bayonne.

Cost (before taxes and fees) for an E1 is $1,469 minus our $150 per person balcony credit for Diamond C&A membership. So, the base price was $1,319 per person.

I've been watching the prices for this and several other cruises, and I've seen them go up and up, in addition to the fuel surcharge.

Frankly, the only way to get a good price is to book early, because I have also seen time and again the prices go up, and the cabins go "on sale", but still for a higher price.

The cruises I now have booked are 8 - 21 months in advance to get decent pricing.

I usually book the day dates are released and you will save a lot of money if you do that for the Explorer as my cruises have always gone way up in price by sail date for 9 and 12 night cruises. I do not think the fares are bad and I've compared RCCL with other lines sailing from NY many times. I only live an hour away from port so it's easy for us and with booking early we get great deals and I book either JS's or OS's. I just booked the 1/14/2010 a couple nights ago, 10 night cruise on the Ex. for a JS I paid 2875.24 total and that's for 2 people. That does include the diamond discount I get and all port fees and the 10.00 fuel charges. I do not think that's a bad price for a 10 night in a JS for 2 people. I've found great deals on Happy Hours also (now Sales Events) for 5 night Bermuda cruises in Oct and in 2006 and 2007 and also in June 2007 I paid 999.00 pp for a JS and I have friends that paid 399.00-549.00 pp for interiors on same cruises from Happy Hour specials. A good hotel like the Marriott in NJ costs about 300.00 a night now during the week in comparison so I think there are great deals out there for the Ex. if you book early or check the specials. The 12 night cruises I've sailed and have booked are great deals if you book the day they are released. Everything is expensive where I live so maybe it just seems like great prices to me. :)

MARAPRINCE

You also save a lot of money and aggravation by not having to deal with the airlines and all their extra charges today and rules on luggage. The airlines announced a few weeks ago that after the summer they would be consolidating flights and grounding several planes in an effort to cut costs. A friend of mine just had her direct flight from Tenn. to Bayonne cancelled for Sept. and the one they wanted her to take puts her in Newark too close for comfort to make sail time so she's dealing with that now. I just read of that happening to someone else on CC last night. Add up the plane fare, the charges for luggage, and all the restrictions on what you can and cannot bring and the extra fees you pay for extra weight on bags and then add in cruisefare and possibly a prestay hotel and transportation and it gets really pricey. Everyone has to do what works best for them and if they get better deals on other lines or flying somewhere else for another RCCL ship then that's what they will do. I would do the same thing if I found a better deal. Bayonne is definitely in NJ but NY ports close by also.

The fuel surcharge was not $10 when we booked. I believe it was 5, so 45 pp, and then yes taxes and fees. But my TA gave us a discount (from their commission), so it offset that...So, I'm sorry that I appeared dishonest on this message board, perhaps it comes out to less than 150 a day.

None of my cruises have fuel charges on them for 2008 as I booked so long ago and my 2009 ones only have the 5.00 because I booked before the increase and the one 2010 I just booked has the new 10.00 on it. I wonder what they'll be charging for fuel if someone books in 2010:eek: Booking early has it's advantages for that reason also! Check out that 1/14/2010 Mel! I think that one is a great deal for a 10 night:) For us it works out to be 143.76 a person per night in a JS including fuel charges and portfees/taxes for a 10 night cruise, I think that's pretty good and that's before I tranfer to TA for additional savings!!

You will really enjoy the NCL Dawn to Bermuda. NCL's fare is much less expensive than RCCL but there are hidden costs with NCL. We always dine in their surcharge specialty restaurants rather than NCL's main dining rooms. The surcharge for these restaurants is worth every penny. We pay extra for NCL's spa facilities also (adults only area and it is WONDERFUL). Even with the additional "ala carte" charges, NCL's 7 day Dawn cruise to Bermuda still winds us costing less than RCCL's Explorer 5 day to Bermuda.

The personality of the Dawn is very endearing also. Hope you love her as DH and I do.

BTW...we are Diamond members on RCCL.

Glad to hear you liked the Dawn. We're returning to Bermuda for the fourth time and have previously gone down on three different cruise lines and enjoyed them equally. Leaving out of the NY area always costs a few bucks more but Bermuda is worth it.:) Also, having freestyle dining on NCL helps a lot while in port for three days so you don't have to hurry back to the ship! Booking early, going in June, and going with a CC Group also helped keep the costs very reasonable!:D :cool:

None of my cruises have fuel charges on them for 2008 as I booked so long ago and my 2009 ones only have the 5.00 because I booked before the increase and the one 2010 I just booked has the new 10.00 on it. I wonder what they'll be charging for fuel if someone books in 2010:eek: Booking early has it's advantages for that reason also! Check out that 1/14/2010 Mel! I think that one is a great deal for a 10 night:) For us it works out to be 143.76 a person per night in a JS including fuel charges and portfees/taxes for a 10 night cruise, I think that's pretty good and that's before I tranfer to TA for additional savings!!

Really! I will go take a look now, as I will need to book my first cruise as a Diamond member! And I was planning on 2010 for that one. What is the itinerary?

Archived