Hopefully the ultimate Aft thread with Pictures (vent, and beams)

flvol77

Dose any one have photos of the balcony on the Ruby D735?

Thanks if you could post them.

Cyndi

We have been in that cabin before and on the October crossing, we are in D 734. It is a very deep, large balcony with plenty of room. It does have the pesky beam and it is at the side and sticks out about a foot but is still attached to the hull (wall). It really doesn't interfere.

We returned a couple of weeks ago from a cruise on the Caribbean Princess.

We were in C749, a PH suite. The cabin, the bathroom and the huge balcony all looked great. Once you stepped out on the balcony, it was impossible to hear yourself think. The A/C vent was 2 feet to the side of us. We thought we would have a lot of our meals al fresco, but we never had one. Even after buying a pair of ear plugs, it was still too noisy to sit outside.

I think it is very deceptive for Princess to sell this as a regular PH suite, without advising you of this problem in advance. (The beam did block you from receiving any direct sun, but that would have been fine, if there wasn't a noise problem.

Thanks for the great video. We've had that cabin too.

How did you manage to have the kids in their own cabin?

We booked one adult/one child per cabin. Once onboard we switched it around and got extra room keys to accommodate the switch. :)

• 1 month later...

We just booked B749 for an April '13 sailing. This will be our first Princess aft cabin, although we have them so much on RCI and NCL. We had to choose between an Emerald deck mini-suite and the corner aft on Baja deck and chose the aft cabin.:D I wish the search feature was working as I would love to see if there are pictures of it on this thread. Don't have time to go all the way back right now.

• 3 weeks later...
We just booked B749 for an April '13 sailing. This will be our first Princess aft cabin, although we have them so much on RCI and NCL. We had to choose between an Emerald deck mini-suite and the corner aft on Baja deck and chose the aft cabin.:D I wish the search feature was working as I would love to see if there are pictures of it on this thread. Don't have time to go all the way back right now.

Is B749 a mini?

Ok thanks. I need to visit one of those corner cabins. Everyone talks about them. Yes, I also love the aft - I could sit there all day just looking out at the water. Enjoy your cruise.

We will be in a mini-suite in May on a Pacific Coastal Cruise. While I know we will use the balcony especially in port, I expect it to be much cooler than a Caribbean cruise. We will enjoy the mini more on the Pacific Coastal. We like to relax in our cabin or on the balcony. The mini offers a nice seating area right inside the balcony door, so if it is too cool to sit on the balcony we will sit inside and still enjoy the views. But the Caribbean is a different story. There we will spend the time outside, watching the wake and enjoying the warmer temperatures. The larger balcony also is better for the room service breakfast we like to order in the Caribbean before we head out for an excursion.

Does anyone have any information and pictures of this cabin (C748)? I have gone through all the posts and did not find anything specific to this one. This will be our first aft cabin and from everything I've read I would like it to be a good experience or at least be prepared for beam or vent problems. Thanks for putting this together, it has been great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This should be applicable to the Star and Golden as well as well as B750 on the Grand.

The OS suite is huge with seating, including the balcony but not the bed, for at least 16 people. One wall is a couch and then a huge long desk. There is a round table with 4 chairs, the couch, 4 chairs, two loungers and one round table on balcony, two soft chairs and a coffe table. The couch does fold out.

The place is huge. I've seen studio apartments that are smaller.

Pass through bathroom with toilet and single sink in one section, jacuzzi tub and shower in the other. Walk in closet, wet bar, two LCD TVs. Lots of drawers.

The balcony has only one beam, but it doesn't interfere with the balcony much. The balcony is half shaded, half sun, which does present a problem when it rains and when they clean the deck at night and wash water down onto the loungers. The balcony is also shallower than the decks below, but still more than adequate.

We just spent 12 days in B749 on a Canada/New England cruise - it was our second time in an aft facing corner cabin (with two more booked) and we were concerned because of the weather possibilities. We were in B753 for 2 weeks in the Caribbean and it was wonderful.

But we ended up being out on the balcony every day (well, long enough to finish off 12 bottles of wine anyway), and most evenings even in the colder weather because you are protected so well. A couple of times in port if the wind was just right we had to go inside - but it wasn't often :-)

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone give me an info on the Sapphire Princess VS Suite E733? I hear there is an "obstructed view" but can't determine what the "obstruction" is. Also... are those suites noisy ... due to being directly above an entertainment deck? It's hard to believe they would put a premium suite in a noisy location... but I've had some poorly located suites before. Is there engine noise? Do you feel the ship "rocking" much more than you would at midship? Never been in an aft cabin... but it seems like an experience! E733 on the Sapphire is what we have available to us at the moment. Thanks for any help!

Can anyone give me an info on the Sapphire Princess VS Suite E733? I hear there is an "obstructed view" but can't determine what the "obstruction" is. Also... are those suites noisy ... due to being directly above an entertainment deck? It's hard to believe they would put a premium suite in a noisy location... but I've had some poorly located suites before. Is there engine noise? Do you feel the ship "rocking" much more than you would at midship? Never been in an aft cabin... but it seems like an experience! E733 on the Sapphire is what we have available to us at the moment. Thanks for any help!
There is a beam that is visible on the left side of the photo. Within the last year or so Princess added this comment about obstruction to the aft cabins affected by the beams. The beams are part of the Princess design and I believe every aft suite is impacted by one as well as many of the balconies. That was one of the reasons this thread was created.

We had friends who were upgraded from an AD Guarantee to E733. They enjoyed the suite but the wake noise was loud which made it had to enjoy the balcony when they were underway. That was only their experience. We have had balcony A746 four decks up and there the wake noise was just calming. You will experience thruster noise when docking which might wake you up in the morning of early ports.

910934660_SapphirePrincessVSE733.jpg.3ba9eddd2a1f239fe9ed8ed6492dee6d.jpg

A little bit different, but close to the Sapphire. The Emerald deck suites are smaller inside, but have larger balconies than the suites above.

The main noise will be wake noise. It is very hard to talk on the balcony while the ship is underway, but its great to sleep to and snooze in the afternoon to. And you can't beat the no wind while underway. its a great place to have the MDR menu delivered as well.

As far as motion, it will be more, and different that a midships cabin. Because you are laying sideways to the motion of the ship, not lengthwise, and because the back of the ship sort of shimmies side to side as well as up and down, it will feel quite different.

However, Judy, who gets motion sick looking at water and is usually down the first day at sea no matter where we are, would not give up an aft suite for anything.

Neither would I for that matter!

To echo what another said.... this IS one of the best and most "on point" informative thread I have ever seen on the message boards. Thank you SO much. My wife and I have so little time... I really like to make sure she enjoys her cruises. We have always done the mid-ship suites... and always been happy. Hey, life's short... gotta try some different things. We are booking the E733... I'll see how the "wake" noise works for us. I'll try and go a deck higher, to get away from any "entertainment" noise... if something opens up. If anyone has any suggestions for the BEST aft suites feel free to give your opinion. Thanks again!

newbie here.... I noticed in alot of the pictures....that with all the chairs and tables the actual space left over to move around on the balcony is quite small is this true on the port and starboard balcony also??? thanks. and I dont like the idea of a steel beam in the middle of the balcony....design flaw???? thanks.