Best Excursions Alaska

cruise-Z

Hi everyone,

My family, father, mother, brother and I booked our first cruise to Alaska with the NCL Pearl 10th Aug, 2008. There are so many excursions available, we are experiencing information overdose.

Could some experienced folks here help?

Things we absolutely want to do include

1. Helicopter Glacier landing, walk. dont think my parents would appreciate the 2 hour trek too much. Is there a helicopter glacier viewing with a landing and a brief walk that would capture the essence of the glacial beauty?

2. we are very excited by the idea of being able to go on a dog sledding trip, which one is good?

3. we d also like to go gold panning

4. Is it worthwhile to go whale watching there? I live in seattle and canprobably do this there. what are some other cool excursions not to be missed?

all help appreciated

I've not really decided on our excursions either -- but I have learned a lot in

(gulp) 40 years of world travel. Do what you cannot do in your home town,

what you can't see anywhere else in the world, and what you've always fantasized about, and by all means, see the local best natural views and art. Not the tourist schlock -- wolves howling at the moon done in black and purple prints! Yuck. Something like the icons in the Sitka cathedral, and the totem pole art of the native Alaskans. I work in an art gallery, and I can tell you that the totems are valuable and respected artwork. Have a great trip.

I would definitly recommend doing a helicopter tour. We used Temsco in Skagway and it was the highlight of our groups vacation. Each person states that was best excursion!! My mom doesnt walk very well - and walking on the ice was very uneasy on her. However i give HUGE props to this company. As there is 4 guides up on the glacier, one of them stayed with her as she didnt feel able to continue the short area tour. While the rest of the group walked around the glacier learning about different things he was telling her all the same stuff. This to me was above and beyond the call of duty and my expectations. The name of the tour was glacier discovery - and again the highlight of the 7 people i was with!!!

Just left Alaska on Serenade of Seas. Sitting at O'Hara airport awaiting our connection flight home.

We booked all of our excursions independantly. Went whale watching, BTW highly recommend. Favorite of all excursions. we were encompassed by a pod of whales that numbered between 8 - 12. It was great. We booked directley through teckk outfitters. The link can be found within this Alaskan thread. Contrary to what the cruise lines and other alaska books have stated - you can book your excursions here independantly.

In Skagway took a helicopter site-seeing tour and landed atop a glacier and went dogsledding. THis was a nice excursion, cost to much for the short time.

In Juneau went 'canopy treetop ziplining'. I did not want to do and probably wouldn't do again but rest of family greatly enjoyed.

As for flightseeing, there are several helicopter glacier landings without the trekks, I recommend Coastal, for a more personal experience. As for the trekk, you may want to look at Northstar and consider their longest trekk. The short ones are "too" short in my opinion. You need the time to get out. The short timeframes barely get you out, before you have to turn around and come back. Longer is better here in my opinion.

As for glacier dog sledding, it is the most canceled Alaska tour, many many raves, it is not ice but snow based, you also do not drive your own sled. It is two sleds hooked together with 3 riders. Ability to switch off positions, with a break rider. Coastal, usually has the cheapest option. These tours, in the past have closed down early, a few years ago mid August. Last few, by begining of Sept, EVEN though reservations were still taken. ( I got MANY disputes to my post on the timeframe because of this, but they most certainly did NOT run much into Sept, and were canceled as I posted)

With all the recommendations, I think we definitely want to do the whale watching excursion.

There are two flight tours I like and its difficult to decide between them. Also they are quite expensive-the misty fjords floatplane excursion in Ketchikan and the 4 glacier helicopter adventure in Juneau.

Daksmom,

Neither of the above flight excursions are in Skagway- are these worthwhile or a flight trip in Skagway is the best?

Putterdude,

whats a WP&YR excursion?

Thanks Budget Queen on the info on the dog sledding. I will check out Coastal . What is the best place to go dog sledding? Is it wiser to do it with a helipcopter tour or independent of it?

I have read good reviews about the White Pass Scenic Railway out of Skagway. Would you all know if we could do a gold panning tour combined with this scenic railway excursion?

Thanks a bunch for all the suggestions/ information.

With all the recommendations, I think we definitely want to do the whale watching excursion.

There are two flight tours I like and its difficult to decide between them. Also they are quite expensive-the misty fjords floatplane excursion in Ketchikan and the 4 glacier helicopter adventure in Juneau.

Daksmom,

Neither of the above flight excursions are in Skagway- are these worthwhile or a flight trip in Skagway is the best?

Putterdude,

whats a WP&YR excursion?

Thanks Budget Queen on the info on the dog sledding. I will check out Coastal . What is the best place to go dog sledding? Is it wiser to do it with a helipcopter tour or independent of it?

I have read good reviews about the White Pass Scenic Railway out of Skagway. Would you all know if we could do a gold panning tour combined with this scenic railway excursion?

Thanks a bunch for all the suggestions/ information.

Between Juneau and Skagway for flightseeing, choose where it fits your timeframe best. Both have excellent flightseeing tours.

You can not do a dog sled ride without a helicopter flight. Only a cart ride on gravel/dirt. Determine if that is what you want??

I have flown Misty fiords and glacier landings several times. I do give an edge to a glacier helicoper landing overall. But it can also depending on your flying experience??? floatplanes are spectacular with those sea landings!!

It's easier just to tell you what we're doing and where. I recommend these although of the liste, I've only ever done the train tour in Skagway before and that was a 7 hour Yukon rail/bus rather than the 9 hour tour.

Skagway: 9 hour Carcross Bus & Rail Excursion

Juneau: Harv and Marv whalewatching followed by Temsco dogsledding on a glacier

Ketchikan: combo tour with Island wings to go to Traitor's Cove to see bears and also see Misty Fjords with the float plane.

Budget Queen, what are you hearing about the dog sled camps closing down early this year? The weather has been so strange.

I've been telephoning family in Alaska a lot lately as depression has set in hard on one person in particular due to the lousy summer. A family member who works in the tourist industry up around Denali says his tips are 30% of what they were in past years as so many tourists seem to be unhappy due to the economy and the weather.

This seems destined to be a recording breaking summer for all the wrong reasons.

Budget Queen, what are you hearing about the dog sled camps closing down early this year? The weather has been so strange.

I've been telephoning family in Alaska a lot lately as depression has set in hard on one person in particular due to the lousy summer. A family member who works in the tourist industry up around Denali says his tips are 30% of what they were in past years as so many tourists seem to be unhappy due to the economy and the weather.

This seems destined to be a recording breaking summer for all the wrong reasons.

Still unknown, the weather has been a problem and I'm hearing the same as you about the visitors. I'm so sorry, I won't be visiting this year.

Ouch. Is tourism down that much that tips are so low? The selfish side of me says I'd love for things to not be so crowded when we're there next month but the practical side of me knows the season is short, and the poor workers need to earn their tips while they can. I promise to be a good tipper next month.

I've also read how this summer stinks in Alaska. Anchorage is going for the record for cold this year. I'm still hoping for a warm up in the next 3 weeks before we get there but I'm bringing lots of warm clothes along assuming that it won't happen.

We did a 7 day trip from Seattle last year. Our absolute favorite trip was the Sea Otter tour in Sitka (Sitka was our favorite city as well). You pretty much see everything there - sea otters, seals, sea lions, eagles nests, bears (sometimes), and at least in our case an absolutely awesome whale show. We got to see a mother and calf breach 18 times. One was close enough that we even got splashed! Even the worse photographer got a picture of a lifetime in that one.

sitkawhale-PICT6394.jpg

Thanks All.

a tentative excursion shortlist for us is as follows:

Juneau

Mendenhall Glacier Helicopter and walk

Want to do a whale watching tour also but dont know how- Our stop is 2pm-10pm, Glacier tour is 2.25 hours at 3:15 pm or 4:15pm. Gives us not a good time to go whale watching.

Skagway

White Pass railway 5.5 hr tour. Is there anything we can combine this with? Like maybe a horseback ride or something. Which one is better the 5.5 hr Magnificent White pass railway or The Ultimate Yukon and white pass rail.

We want to go goldpanning and the second one doesnt mention it.

Ketchikan

Misty Fjords Floatplane

Lumbar jack show

I will call some of these excursion companies tommorrow and see how things work out.

All of your thoughts and suggestion appreciated, as you see I still have a lot of questions

As for flightseeing, there are several helicopter glacier landings without the trekks, I recommend Coastal, for a more personal experience. As for the trekk, you may want to look at Northstar and consider their longest trekk. The short ones are "too" short in my opinion. You need the time to get out. The short timeframes barely get you out, before you have to turn around and come back. Longer is better here in my opinion.

As for glacier dog sledding, it is the most canceled Alaska tour, many many raves, it is not ice but snow based, you also do not drive your own sled. It is two sleds hooked together with 3 riders. Ability to switch off positions, with a break rider. Coastal, usually has the cheapest option. These tours, in the past have closed down early, a few years ago mid August. Last few, by begining of Sept, EVEN though reservations were still taken. ( I got MANY disputes to my post on the timeframe because of this, but they most certainly did NOT run much into Sept, and were canceled as I posted)

Where are 'Coastal' based please, and do they take vouchers from either of the voucher book companies. We would like to do a 'copter tour onto a glacier and then dog sledding if possible - any suggestions please? (We will be there early June)

Thanks,

Colin:) :)

Just left Alaska on Serenade of Seas. Sitting at O'Hara airport awaiting our connection flight home.

We booked all of our excursions independantly. Went whale watching, BTW highly recommend. Favorite of all excursions. we were encompassed by a pod of whales that numbered between 8 - 12. It was great. We booked directley through teckk outfitters. The link can be found within this Alaskan thread. Contrary to what the cruise lines and other alaska books have stated - you can book your excursions here independantly.

In Skagway took a helicopter site-seeing tour and landed atop a glacier and went dogsledding. THis was a nice excursion, cost to much for the short time.

In Juneau went 'canopy treetop ziplining'. I did not want to do and probably wouldn't do again but rest of family greatly enjoyed.

Glad to hear your whale watching with Teckk outfitters went well. We had a fantastic one with F.I.S.H. E.S. What great experiences we had - just wish it had been warmer.

Glad I found this thread. We're on the Radience OTS in late August. I've booked whale watching in Juneau with Orca Enterprises/Captain Larry and the White Pass train through the ship.

We're staying one night in Seward and another in Anchorage. I've booked a flightseeing on a float plane up to within a few miles of McKinley's summit. I did that with Rust's which looks pretty good.

DH is in a wheelchair which limits some of our activities, but both Orca and Rust's say they can take him, especially since he can transfer and walk just a big.

Any suggestions for Ketchikan?

Where are 'Coastal' based please, and do they take vouchers from either of the voucher book companies. We would like to do a 'copter tour onto a glacier and then dog sledding if possible - any suggestions please? (We will be there early June)

Thanks,

Colin:) :)

Coastal helicopters is out of Juneau http://www.coastalhelicopters.com

You would have to ask them about your "vouchers"???

Does anyone know if the 'Ultimate Yukon & White Pass Railway' with NCL includes a gold panning stop?

Also, the Taku lodge floatplane at Juneau sounds very good apart from the fact that there is no actual landing on a Glaciar. If there a way, maybe a short hike or so to be on the glaciar from Taku lodge?

We are deciding between the taku lodge floatplane and the Mendenhall Glaciar Helicopter walk. I know there are numerous threads on floatplane vs helicopter, any definite winner?

Archived