Handicap cabin anyone?

We booked two OV guarantees on Tuesday for the Aug 17th sailing of the Mariner of the Seas and received the room assignment today. Yes that was pretty quick. Ok no upgrades to balconies but we did get two rooms next to each other and one of them is a handicap accessible room. On the ships diagram it looks twice the size of the normal room. Anyone know of a down side to these rooms?

We booked two OV guarantees on Tuesday for the Aug 17th sailing of the Mariner of the Seas and received the room assignment today. Yes that was pretty quick. Ok no upgrades to balconies but we did get two rooms next to each other and one of them is a handicap accessible room. On the ships diagram it looks twice the size of the normal room. Anyone know of a down side to these rooms?

No down side room is much bigger then regular room.

Guest carlogesualdo

You may or may not like the shower. Chances are good it will be much roomier. But it will be set up for someone in a wheelchair.

You may or may not like the shower. Chances are good it will be much roomier. But it will be set up for someone in a wheelchair.

...which means that there is no lip or raised edge, so water flows directly into the bathroom. (but there is a drain in the floor to take care of this).

The toilet will be higher than normal, and the bathroom will be set up for wheelchairs with assist bars and a roll-in shower. It will be bigger than a regular "phonebooth" sized shower.

Enjoy the added space!

If a person who is handicapped needs the room they may move you...if not, the actual handicapped person will not be able to cruise....

Hi,

if RCI makes the assignment of handicapped accessible cabin to someone who does not need such a cabin - they must not need that cabin and it would be empty for that sailing. 'we' got two of such cabins on our last cruise in June and I offered to turn 'them' back in ..... but they did not take my offer. They said the cabins were not needed for someone else on that particular cruise. Under the 'guarantee' one gets what they assign to you.

Wes

If a person who is handicapped needs the room they may move you...if not, the actual handicapped person will not be able to cruise....

Handicapped cabins are released at or around final payment date. By that time the cruiseline needs to sell the cabin no matter handicapped or not.

...which means that there is no lip or raised edge, so water flows directly into the bathroom. (but there is a drain in the floor to take care of this).

The water does not flow into the bathroom.

First picture is an outside on the Explorer if I remember right.

The second is the bath on the Liberty

Explorer_Cat_I_cabin_3_op_650x431.jpgHandicapped_Liberty.jpg

Yes it does. We always have a HC cabin as hubby soes not walk, but the water does flow onto the bathroom floor but it slants to the center and the drain is sufficient to take care of it.

Yes it does. We always have a HC cabin as hubby soes not walk, but the water does flow onto the bathroom floor but it slants to the center and the drain is sufficient to take care of it.

Never had that happen. At least not much anyway.

You mean other than it's designed for someone in a wheelchair?? They are twice as big, and that is why. IMHO, you should ask if another cabin is available, on the chance someone in a wheelchair might need it. I know, when we try to book one, (one of our sons is wheelchair bound)they never hav e any.. Could this be why???:rolleyes:

We book handicapped cabins when traveling with FIL. Our experience has been that the shower does indeed flow onto the rest of the bathroom floor even though there is a drain all around the shower. We ask for extra towels to put around the drain. We do some times have trouble finding a handicapped cabin but I would think that last minute assignments on guarantees would be just because the cabins hadn't been booked. I would hate to think that a year in advance when we normally book that if no HC cabin was available that it was because able bodied folks were booked in it keeping someone who really needed it from cruising.

You mean other than it's designed for someone in a wheelchair?? They are twice as big, and that is why. IMHO, you should ask if another cabin is available, on the chance someone in a wheelchair might need it. I know, when we try to book one, (one of our sons is wheelchair bound)they never hav e any.. Could this be why???:rolleyes:

Not unless you try to book within final payment time. Unless a mistake has been made along the way somehow, these cabins are not released to the public until around 60-70 days before the cruise.

There always seems to be some that think these cabins should NEVER be given to no handicapped passengers.

I have read how difficult it is to get a HC cabin and a few months ago I was looking at available cabins on Voyager. I happen to see that a HC cabin was available on a sailing that was coming up fairly soon so I went over on the HC board and posted that it was available. I thought that someone would probably respond but I never saw any response that anyone tried to get it. Maybe someone got it before anyone could get it. I don't know but I wanted to try to give someone a chance since it seems to be so highly competitive to get them.

Whenever I took my mother on a cruise (and we needed a handicap room) I made sure we booked far enough in advance to get handicap room. When you have special needs you have to plan ahead. IMHO if someone does get this room only weeks before sailing and is not handicapped the room is theirs. RCCL will not take it back that close to sailing.

Once the cruise line releases the HC cabin for open booking it is fair game. Do not feel guilty... you are not stealing it from anyone or booking it surreptitiously. If you had falsely claimed to be HC then that would have been wrong. Enjoy all the space!

Most of the differences in an HC cabin will not bother you - wider doors, no step up to the bathroom, etc. And, of course the extra space is nice.

The only downside other than the shower is that there generally is less storage around the sink since it is designed for a wheelchair to fit under it.

From my experience RCCL will not take the cabin back. Once it is out of inventory, they will not check to see if someone needs it.

You might still get moved. I broke my ankle a month before a cruise, which I had booked months before in a D1 balcony cabin. As I was wheelchair bound, I called the special needs desk at RCL and explained my plight. They had a E1 balcony handicapped room that they had given to a guarantee balcony passenger and they switched our cabins. I called the number for the original cabin while on the cruise to thank the person, who was not particularly gracious, although he was suitably embarrassed when I asked him if he would rather trade places with me and be in a wheelchair.

You might still get moved. I broke my ankle a month before a cruise, which I had booked months before in a D1 balcony cabin. As I was wheelchair bound, I called the special needs desk at RCL and explained my plight. They had a E1 balcony handicapped room that they had given to a guarantee balcony passenger and they switched our cabins. I called the number for the original cabin while on the cruise to thank the person, who was not particularly gracious, although he was suitably embarrassed when I asked him if he would rather trade places with me and be in a wheelchair.

I am very happy for you getting the HC room. Your circumstances definitely should have been addressed and RCCL came thru. On the other hand I wonder what would have happened if you had an inside room down on deck 2 and you spoke to the guest who was put in your room because of circumstances lol. Hope your ankle is healed and you are well.

Acually Pepsicruiser, that would not happen. The man at the special needs desk told me at that late date, he could only move somebody into the same or higher catagory cabin then they had booked. The handicapped cabin was an E1 and my cabin was a D1 - obviously the handicapped cabin was larger, but a regular D is better than an E.

If the only available situation was a handicapped inside cabin on a low deck, that person would have made out very well - getting my D1 in exchange. I would still have been happy for the change, because a cabin that fits a wheelchair through a door trumps any cabin that I need to hop around.

My ankle healed well and I have sailed many times since, gladly giving up the handicapped rooms for the ability to walk up and down the steps.

Archived